The YOU Docs: Healines shouldn't scare women off hormone therapy

Nov 5, 2010 Full story: TwinCities.com 16

We wouldn't blame you if the latest round of horror-story headlines about hormone therapy and breast cancer inspired you to flush your pills or swear that you'd never, ever take estrogen or progesterone.

Full Story
moe

Chicago, IL

#1 Nov 6, 2010
is anything ever going to happen to all of the prempro lawsuits or are they just going to go away
Gail Perry

United States

#2 Nov 7, 2010
It takes time, Moe.

Anyone who believes press releases turned into news stories regarding medical issues is acting in a reckless and foolish way.
JWR

Hyattsville, MD

#3 Nov 15, 2010
What a bunch of baloney!! Listening to Dr. Oz is like listening to Suzanne Somers. Bottom line is - HRT is risky and not health-promoting. Lower dose therapy has not been properly tested in trials. HRT does not prevent heart disease, cancer, or dementia and raises the risk of all 3.(Estrogen alone also causes breast cancer but it takes much longer to do so than estrogen/progestin). The drugs also cause strokes in women of all ages and shrink parts of the brain responsible for thinking and memory.
Gail Perry

United States

#4 Nov 15, 2010
I agree with you, JWR. Menopause is a natural process and should not be medicated away. As the old TV commercial said, "It's not nice to fool Mother Nature!" And it isn't.

Here are some things that did help me. For me, the worst -- by far -- were the hot flashes. Fortunately we had a water bed. I dialed down the temperature and hot flashes did not wake me up any more! I would suggest anyone with that problem give a waterbed a try.

The other thing that's really great are "cooling scarves." Just put "cooling scarves" into Google. They contain crystals that absorb water and then evaporate, which is what makes them cooing.

But I go even further. I don't just soak them in water. I soak them in ICE water and if I'm in the outdoors for the day I take a small cooler of them with me (like a lunch bag sized cooler). I change them sometimes hourly. Sometimes I put one around my neck and one around my forehead. Putting one around your forehead also keeps perspiration and suntan lotion out of your eyes.

Eventually they get smelly and have to be replaced, but they work really, really well.
JWR

Laurel, MD

#5 Nov 15, 2010
Thanks Gail!

I am not totally anti-HRT. If women are miserable and cannot function, then taking the drugs for a short time is reasonable.

I think what bothers me the most is that the perpetual back'n'forth arguments on HRT's place in medicine does nothing for women. To think, honest researchers over the last 6-8 years could have initiated studies on alternative therapies for terrible symptoms that are less risky. And of course, there isn't a whole lot.

Honestly, they have drugs that can alleviate the worst pain, rescue people from immediate deaths, but they haven't found something to tinker with the body's thermostat and turn down the heat?!!!:)
Michelle CA

Walnut Creek, CA

#6 Jan 31, 2011
I think that we do not take HTR unless we have to and for some women it's not a choice. Some women like me and a few others are seriously affected by the change in going through menopausal, who can not sleep at all due to a drop in estrogen have to use HRT. This is beyond waking up due to hot flashes, a few of us just can not sleep at all.... and yes, I did go through tests to rule out all other medical contributing factors... I know that it does not affect other women like this but lack of estrogen affects some of us this awful way.
Melanie FL

Crestview, FL

#7 Feb 2, 2011
HRT has done no end of good for me. I am a victim of premenopausal ovarian failure. The lack of estrogen in my body at an early age would have had lasting effects in my later years. HRT improves the look of my skin, my sleep patterns, my sex drive, ect. I am convinced that in low dosages, HRT is not harmful.
Melanie FL

Crestview, FL

#8 Feb 2, 2011
premature ovarian failure...I am post menopausal.
Gail Perry

Gardena, CA

#9 Feb 2, 2011
Well, HRT is not completely harmless, but I have a friend with very small bones who went into early menopause in her thirties. For her, living 50 or more years without female hormones -- the medical consequences for her could have been very serious.

There is no one answer for everyone.
Leila

Victoria, Canada

#10 Feb 2, 2011
What I can't understand is why estrogen given as a drug has so many bad side effects, when natural estrogen does not. Estrogen increases the risk of breast cancer, but in its natural form,almost everything else about it is beneficial. It prevents osteoporosis, for one thing, and it is our estrogen that causes us to become susceptible to heart disease at a later age than men do. Our life expectancy is a few years higher than a man's life expectancy, and that's our natural estrogen at work.

Unfortunately, some of us, including me, got the one bad effect of our natural estrogen. Breast cancer.
Gail Perry

Saint Petersburg, FL

#11 Feb 2, 2011
Leila, our own estrogen can also encourage tumor growth. Things can be good in one way or under one set of circumstances but bad in another.

If a woman has the kind of breast cancer that is fed by female estrogen or progesterone, her ovaries are no longer her friend. However, there are a number of breast cancers that are unaffected by female hormones.

Natural estrogen can kill you if you have hormone-sensitive breast cancer. This is why many women who have had breast cancer then take an aromatase inhibitor or Tamoxifen: they cancel out the natural estrogen (there's still some after menopause) so it can't encourage any new tumors to grow.
Rooster Oakman

France

#13 Feb 5, 2013
I have ordered prescription drugs (without a prescription) online from http://inhousegeneric.info about two years ago, and was pleased with the speed and quality of service.
I'm thinking of doing the same thing with my medication. The meds is expensive, but there is a generic version available overseas.
I love the idea of taking responsibility for my own health (or lack of health) and skipping the bureaucracy... to say nothing of having to drive to the doctor, wait in line, yet again, to get a prescription refilled.
Turner

Sweden

#15 Apr 20, 2013
i wrote:
I have ordered prescription drugs (without a prescription) online from http://inhousegeneric.info about two years ago, and was pleased with the speed and quality of service.
I'm thinking of doing the same thing with my medication. The meds is expensive, but there is a generic version available overseas.
I love the idea of taking responsibility for my own health (or lack of health) and skipping the bureaucracy... to say nothing of having to drive to the doctor, wait in line, yet again, to get a prescription refilled.
http://inhousegeneric.info very clear and informative site, simple ordering process and very fast delivery. All round excellent service - will use again.
Darren

Ireland

#16 Aug 4, 2013
http://inhousegeneric.com is an honest and genuine online pharmacy. We were not sure at first because this was our first order of generic medication from this pharmacy. Although it takes a bit long because it got stuck with custom, we are completely sastisfied with this online pharmacy.
You won't be disappointed with them. Their customer service is great too although they need to improve their phone system a bit more. If you need to call them just be sure to call during their working hours. Other than that we highly and sincerely recommend this online pharmacy to everyone.
Jaime

Romania

#17 Aug 16, 2013
Naturally, I am skeptical of everything online. http://inhousegeneric.com is legitimate. I placed my first order for the smallest amount possible. It arrived sooner than expected. I didn't pay the extra money for speedy air mail. I placed another order that was much larger and it came right on time. I will definitely use this company again for even larger orders now that I trust them. They also give you discounts every time you place an order which is cool. One thing to keep in mind is if you place a larger order, they will send half in one shipment, and then the other half after that to avoid customs scrutinizing your package. I am very happy, I no longer need to pay tons of money to see a doctor and therapist (and have them tell me a bunch of stuff I already know) in order to get my medication.
Allan

Czech Republic

#19 Sep 24, 2013
I have ordered 2 times from this website PILLSMEDSHOP. COM . I called yesterday the customer care and asked for a discount as i was about to order twice the regular amount.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Medicine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Becoming a Dentist (Jan '13) 2 hr Charlesbrown1 27
Dentists warn children need to improve dental care (Oct '12) 4 hr dylan 5
Ron Klain's resume: From recounts to stimulus t... 6 hr Mark Winshel 36
U.S. Military Resources Will Be Deployed To Fig... 6 hr harvinedhalmon 1
Ebola commentary desperately needs clarification 7 hr Even Steven 44
Fauci: Ebola response system still needs improv... 8 hr Gary 10
Ohio approves state smoking ban (Nov '06) 9 hr Legal Buff 76,047

Medicine People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE