Trial opens in Fla. widow's tobacco l...

Trial opens in Fla. widow's tobacco lawsuit

There are 693 comments on the WSVN-TV Miami Beach story from Feb 3, 2009, titled Trial opens in Fla. widow's tobacco lawsuit. In it, WSVN-TV Miami Beach reports that:

A closely watched lawsuit against tobacco companies filed by a Florida widow is going to trial in Broward County.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WSVN-TV Miami Beach.

Chris

AOL

#587 Mar 21, 2009
Bonnie wrote:
Welcome Sarabeth.
Bonnie- What's up with the individual tobacco lawsuits? I have one but have not seen any news since the Hess trial. Thanks.

“Cough cough HACK!, cough cough”

Since: Oct 08

North Fort Myers

#588 Mar 21, 2009
Chris, Thee courtroom view site is sused to start carring trials in April.
So you should be getting news from several locations then. I believe the next
ones are in Hillsborough county. <^_^>

Since: Mar 09

Brooklyn, NY

#589 Mar 22, 2009
I've finished reading through all your posts, which I found informative. Can anyone suggest other resources to follow? Blogs, websites, message boards, etc.? Thanks!

Since: Mar 09

Brooklyn, NY

#590 Mar 22, 2009
Also, I'd be curious to know more about cases that have already been tried. Is there a place I can download transcripts? I'd like to learn more about the tobacco co's defense against charges that they intentionally added chemicals, etc. Were these kinds of things even brought up in trial?

North Fort Myers

#591 Mar 22, 2009
Sarabeth_W wrote:
Also, I'd be curious to know more about cases that have already been tried. Is there a place I can download transcripts? I'd like to learn more about the tobacco co's defense against charges that they intentionally added chemicals, etc. Were these kinds of things even brought up in trial?
You could google engle v ligget group, hess v r. j. reynolds, ferlanti v ligget group. Do a search for engle progeny cases. You probably won't find much on the additive bit though... If you want to know exactly what's in a cigarette check out Dr.Jeffrey Wigand's site.
http://www.jeffreywigand.com/index.php This man was a whistle blower and knows as much if not more anatomy of a cigarette as any one.
In your search .save to a file on your hard drive anything that lloks like it may interest you. Especially look for .pdf's as that is the adobe doc that is used by the courts for orders and such. <^_^>

Since: Jan 09

Chipley, FL

#592 Mar 22, 2009
Sarabeth_W wrote:
You can watch the videos of the trials and upcoming trials on Courtroomview.com . They have agreed to a deal so we could watch the Engle trials for $10 per month.
Lee

Bartow, FL

#593 Mar 23, 2009
Can't seem to get on site anymore. Maybe I am doing something wrong.
Thanks everyone for keeping this forum civil and
respectful.
Lee
Jim

AOL

#594 Mar 25, 2009
Lee wrote:
Can't seem to get on site anymore. Maybe I am doing something wrong.
Thanks everyone for keeping this forum civil and
respectful.
Lee
Hey Mark and others--RJ Reynolds just won in a one on one. I told you this would happen. The same thing happened in Vioxx. Tobacco will start winning some cases. This will eventually lead to some kind of a group settlement.
Randy

Tampa, FL

#595 Mar 26, 2009
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Mark and others--RJ Reynolds just won in a one on one. I told you this would happen. The same thing happened in Vioxx. Tobacco will start winning some cases. This will eventually lead to some kind of a group settlement.
If you are talking about the Gelep case -- it was not a Engle progeny case. This case was a stand alone filed in 1998. In this case they would have had to prove everthing and could not rely on the Fl Supreme court directions.
Mark

Palm City, FL

#596 Mar 26, 2009
Randy wrote:
<quoted text>If you are talking about the Gelep case -- it was not a Engle progeny case. This case was a stand alone filed in 1998. In this case they would have had to prove everthing and could not rely on the Fl Supreme court directions.
Hay Randy,
Go back to the hole you came from and only come out when you don't something mean or stupid to say. Many people on this site would be very happy.
Mark
Mark

Palm City, FL

#597 Mar 26, 2009
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Jim, you should back to the same hole that Randy was in and don't come out till you've taken some smart pills, because that case was not part of the Engle progeny case. They had to go it on their own without the findings from the Engle trial.

So please stop polluting this site, and go back to picking tobacco leaves cause it is so clear now, that you work for them.
Mark
Mark

Palm City, FL

#598 Mar 26, 2009
I don't understand why some can get on the site and some can't must be a mole that crawled in from this site.

Please email me again at [email protected] I will send you another invite. Will and Carlen, lets look at that Yahoo site again.
Mark
Bonnie

Jacksonville, FL

#599 Mar 26, 2009
Mark,

Hate to call you on this, but did Randy not say the same thing that you did or am I missing something?

Yes, I still can not get in to the other site. The Yahoo site would be great.

Bonnie
Jim

AOL

#600 Mar 27, 2009
Mark wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Jim, you should back to the same hole that Randy was in and don't come out till you've taken some smart pills, because that case was not part of the Engle progeny case. They had to go it on their own without the findings from the Engle trial.
So please stop polluting this site, and go back to picking tobacco leaves cause it is so clear now, that you work for them.
Mark
Gee Mark- all of the reporters on the different sites referred to this case as an Engle Progeny. I guess they're stupid like me. Or maybe not and the other way around.

North Fort Myers

#601 Mar 28, 2009
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Gee Mark- all of the reporters on the different sites referred to this case as an Engle Progeny. I guess they're stupid like me. Or maybe not and the other way around.
Jim.. That was tobacco co propaganda read on dude... Notice the filing date, 521998CA006584XXCICI 98006584CI 013 NEGLIGENCE CI
Style: GELEP MARY H PR
vs. BROWN AND WILLIAMSON TOBACCO CORPORATION
Jury Trial STIP NOTH Reason Type Disp.
Y
Filling Date Appeal Date Judg. Date Reop Date Docket Date
10/09/98
Case/Cat
OTHER NEGLIGENCE

The ruling establishing the Engle Progeny cases was made July 6, 2006 and re affirmed December 21, 2006. No way it was a progeny case. The plaintiff's lawyers may have tried to cite the Engle findings.
I offer this for you to read... http://www.floridasupremecourt.org/decisions/...
Jim

AOL

#602 Mar 28, 2009
SwampMonkey wrote:
<quoted text>
Jim.. That was tobacco co propaganda read on dude... Notice the filing date, 521998CA006584XXCICI 98006584CI 013 NEGLIGENCE CI
Y
10/09/98
Case/Cat
OTHER NEGLIGENCE
The ruling establishing the Engle Progeny cases was made July 6, 2006 and re affirmed December 21, 2006. No way it was a progeny case. The plaintiff's lawyers may have tried to cite the Engle findings.
I offer this for you to read... http://www.floridasupremecourt.org/decisions/...
Swamp- check Engle Progeny Cases.com - it was an RJ Reynolds case.
Brenda

Ruskin, FL

#603 Mar 28, 2009
SwampMonkey wrote:
<quoted text>
Y
10/09/98
Case/Cat
OTHER NEGLIGENCE
Randy tried t tell everyone this on Thursdat and was rudely shot down. Read
some of the motions and orders listed in the docket. This will tell you the Judge shot down the Engle progeny defense.
Brenda

Ruskin, FL

#604 Mar 28, 2009
Jim

FYI GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT!

Uniform Case Pinellas Case Section Case Type Type
521998CA006584XXCICI 98006584CI 013 NEGLIGENCE CI
Y
10/09/98
Case/Cat
OTHER NEGLIGENCE

03/22/99 CLERK PHILIP MORRIS INC N
03/22/99 CLERK BROWN AND WILLIAMSON TOBACCO CORPORATION N
03/22/99 CLERK AMERICAN TOBACCO COMPANY

Plus others

North Fort Myers

#605 Mar 28, 2009
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Jim, They are all tried under different tobacco cos. Most of them are banded together in this.
I you would re read the newspaper thing that you areciting you would understand.. If you do not get it after this post you never will. Follow along now..

A Pinellas County jury today ruled in favor of Philip Morris USA in one of the first tobacco lawsuits following a 2006 Florida Supreme Court decision that decertified a class action but allowed former class members to file individual lawsuits.

“The jury reached the correct result and determined that the plaintiff failed to meet the criteria established by this particular court to prevail at trial,” said Murray Garnick, Altria Client Services senior vice president and associate general counsel, speaking on behalf of Philip Morris USA.

Garnick said that this case was the third case tried to verdict since the Florida Supreme Court’s decision which allowed former Engle class members to proceed by relying on findings by the former Engle jury. Approximately 4,000 claims, or roughly half of those filed in the wake of the Florida Supreme Court’s decision in the Engle case, are pending in federal court and have been put on hold pending a federal appeals court review of the constitutional issues that arise from allowing the plaintiff to rely on prior Engle jury findings.

"The jury’s verdict in this case shows that Philip Morris USA still has powerful defenses in these cases even when the trial court misinterprets the Florida Supreme Court’s holding in Engle and allows the plaintiff to improperly rely on a prior jury’s findings that have no connection with the plaintiff,” added Garnick.“Philip Morris USA will vigorously defend each individual Engle progeny case that goes to trial. We continue to believe each plaintiff must prove the essential elements of their claims and that we continue to have very strong defenses to these type of cases,” said Garnick.

The case is Gelep v. RJ Reynolds and Philip Morris USA.

WHEN THE TRIAL COURT MISINTERPRETS THE FLORIDA SUPREME COURT’S HOLDING IN ENGLE AND ALLOWS THE PLAINTIFF TO IMPROPERLY RELY ON A PRIOR JURY’S FINDINGS THAT HAVE NO CONNECTION WITH THE PLAINTIFF
Read that again please... This case was a slam dunk for the tobacco co's

North Fort Myers

#606 Mar 28, 2009
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Heh heh! Jim, click on that link you posted. heh heh! <^_^>

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Medicine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Diagnosing Trump: Did America elect a madman? 1 hr Sandra 188
News Sarasota man charged with 'doctor shopping' col... (Dec '11) 6 hr Enforce FARA 7
News Surgery Not Always the Answer for Hernias (Jan '06) 7 hr Josh Cain 184
News November 16 - International Day Without Smoking Thu Haha 1
News Pregnancy Symptoms - 12 Very Early Symptoms of ... (Jun '07) Thu Fabs 7,299
Vagus Nerve Disorder Causes Symptoms Treatments (Feb '12) Thu vickynj 208
News Rachel Stewart: Life and pleasure from the warr... Thu Will Not Be Pimped 1
More from around the web