Teva Announces Launch of Generic Zoloft

Teva Announces Launch of Generic Zoloft

There are 1482 comments on the Med Ad News story from Aug 14, 2006, titled Teva Announces Launch of Generic Zoloft. In it, Med Ad News reports that:

Aug. 14, 2006 - Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. announced today that it has begun the sale of its generic version of Pfizer's Zoloft Tablets, 25 mg, 50 mg, and 100 mg in the United States.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Med Ad News.

erin

Venice, CA

#1140 Sep 23, 2008
I'M SO RELIEVED to realize the problem, YET ANGRY that I lost 4 months of joy and good sleep because I trusted the generic version of zoloft. It never occurred to me it wasn't the same. I thought something in me had changed...though for years I took Zoloft successfully and have NEVER had sleep problems. I've not slept a full night since I started this damn sertraline. And the depression has been awful. I only realized this late last night when it occurred to me that perhaps the generic might be the issue...when I found so many other stories exactly like mine. I'm switching back fast as I can. Though my insurance doesn't cover Zoloft, I'd rather go into debt and get my life back. I hope the truth comes out soon, before more people suffer with this imitation drug.
Hanny

Australia

#1141 Oct 18, 2008
I usually get the generic brand called Eleva but went to a different pharmacy and said OK to the generic...big mistake. They had Setraline and not Eleva and I've felt like a mess for a month. I even had my psych send me a prescription for anew medication. But I needed to get it filled again and got the Eleva - after just one dose I am feeling better. If I fill the script again I will get the normla Zoloft though.

The first day I took the Setraline I felt weird...like I hadn't taken it at all. And I've had headpsins all month like when you are coming off the medication.

Some generics are obviously ok but Setraline sucks. It can't be the same...surely!
pat bailey

United States

#1142 Oct 22, 2008
I can't understand why I feel so depressed and anxious, almost like something other then my less then happy life is creating it. The doctor told me to increase my dose to 200 mgs and I get so gittery and nervous I want to jump. Something is clearly wrong. I think it is the generic because I never felt this bad on the regular Zoloft.
diane

Murfreesboro, TN

#1143 Nov 2, 2008
snowstorm wrote:
Has anyone had side effects from switching from Zoloft to generic sertraline, such as dizziness, heart beat irregularity, depression?
YES! I ended up in the ER with blood pressure 189/128 and heart rate of 129! I only took two 1/2 tabs before I had this reaction.
christine

United States

#1144 Nov 9, 2008
i am so relieved to see that there are others out there who have had a bad reaction to the generic form of zoloft. I havent felt this anxious or depressed in a long time. I cant even function and find myself sleeping a lot of the time. I am calling my dr. tomorrow to get me back on the regular zoloft. my blood pressure even went up!! not sure what caused that but i have been very depressed lately...cant even concentrate on simple tasks. glad i looked on this site. thanks everyone!!
Sangela

Monterey, LA

#1145 Nov 10, 2008
I tried the generic Zoloft because the insurance company penalizes us, if we do not get the generic when available. A huge balance difference. I went back to the regular zoloft. 98.00 a month compared to 10 a month! NOT fair. I decided to try wellbutrin. I could eat through nails. I have increased attacks and so hard to manage day to day. Now, I am going to have to switch again.. Just not fair to be forced to go broke on medication all because the insurance co wants to dictate to you, what meds you should take.
Steve

New York, NY

#1146 Nov 10, 2008
Sangela wrote:
I tried the generic Zoloft because the insurance company penalizes us, if we do not get the generic when available. A huge balance difference. I went back to the regular zoloft. 98.00 a month compared to 10 a month! NOT fair. I decided to try wellbutrin. I could eat through nails. I have increased attacks and so hard to manage day to day. Now, I am going to have to switch again.. Just not fair to be forced to go broke on medication all because the insurance co wants to dictate to you, what meds you should take.
Do you know which manufacturer made the generic you took? Assuming it was not made by Greenstone, if you could find a pharmacy that uses Greenstone for its generic Zoloft, you might find it much better. Greenstone is the generic company owned by the company that makes the brand name Zoloft. In my area, Rite-Aid uses Greenstone for generic Zoloft.
Bus Driver

AOL

#1149 Nov 15, 2008
I didn't know my Zoloft was a generic until 1 week after taking the generic I was was having rage symptoms. Short tempered and agitated. I went to the doctor with the medicine and he said it was because of the generic, he has had many patients act like they were on a sugar pill. He gave me another prescription with DAW on it and I was fine. Now the insurance company is telling us as of Jan. 09 we have to pay the difference to get Zoloft. Hope it isn't to much or the kids will pay the price!
amc-country boy

Amarillo, TX

#1150 Nov 15, 2008
Bus Driver wrote:
I didn't know my Zoloft was a generic until 1 week after taking the generic I was was having rage symptoms. Short tempered and agitated. I went to the doctor with the medicine and he said it was because of the generic, he has had many patients act like they were on a sugar pill. He gave me another prescription with DAW on it and I was fine. Now the insurance company is telling us as of Jan. 09 we have to pay the difference to get Zoloft. Hope it isn't to much or the kids will pay the price!
Bus Driver- you be nice to those kids or have that doc put you on a different "happy pill".
zoloft

Moscow, Russia

#1152 Nov 18, 2008
snowstorm wrote:
Has anyone had side effects from switching from Zoloft to generic sertraline, such as dizziness, heart beat irregularity, depression?
yahhooo.info/zoloft.htm
jean

Havre, MT

#1153 Dec 1, 2008
My dr. prescribed Zoloft in generic form when I was looking for help with depression and panic attacks. He assured me it was now more afordable in generic form and just as good. After takng the 1st pill (1/2 dose-25 mg)I felt as if I had a terrible case of flu; nausea, back ache and dizziness. I was to increase the dosage to 50 mg at the end of 7 days. By the 7th day, my panic attacks, sleeplessness, dizziness & anger were worse than any symptoms I had experienced before. Even after being free of the drug for over a week, I still have headaches and stomach tremors and burning similar to an ulcer. I'm sorry I ever heard of the drug.
KGH Monroe NC

Rockwell, NC

#1154 Dec 2, 2008
This damned generic nearly ruined my marriage!!!! I've taken zoloft for 6 years, absolute bliss! Then, this month (November that is), right in the middle of a midlife crisis my husband has been going through, I get the little round generic pill, instead of the blue pill. I have done nothing but cry and become obsessed with HIS activities since! I couldn't help myself! To make matters worse, hubby went on Zoloft too, but got the generic little round pill. He's had little relief from his depression, and just last night, I gave him his new bottle, which was namebrand Zoloft, and guess what? He's happy as a lark today, much easier to get along with, and I spent all day actually doing things instead of crying my eyes out! There ought to be some kind of compensation for what they've just put us through! This is ridiculous! My husband nearly left me because we both were taking a generic Zoloft that did us no good, and actually made things worse. I couldn't stay awake, etc. It makes me sick to think that a drug I've depended on for stability could have such a negative effect in generic form. WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!
Ray

Brooklyn, NY

#1155 Dec 9, 2008
I have been on Zoloft for the past 7 years and it has worked great in controlling my anxiety attacks. However, about 7 months ago I was switched to Sertraline HCL since my insurance would not pay for the brand name. I noticed no difference in my anxiety, but about 4 months ago I started noticing eczema on my hands with severe itching. This progessed to a severe rash on my legs, truck, back, and hives on forearms. I went to an allergist and he did allergy tests on me. I am allergic to the usual allergens (pollen, dust, etc), but no food allergies. It turned out that I was not allergic to Zoloft (pure Sertraline HCL). The allergist said that the symptoms that I was having looked like a reaction to a medication. The only medication that I have been taking was the generic Sertraline HCL, so I am wondering if my body is reacting to the inactive ingredients(preservatives)in the generic brand that are not in the name brand. I have been taking antihistamines, Prednisone, and creams to control the rash, itch, and hives. I will be going back to Zoloft and will pay the $95 for the 30 day supply. I would rather pay the money than go through this severe itching. Hopefully this will resolve my problem. Wish me luck!
Steve

Inwood, NY

#1156 Dec 9, 2008
[I don't know why but was unable to post in reply format]
This post is for Ray -- do you know the manufacturer of the generic you have been taking? There is more than one generic for Zoloft so if you do think your problem has been with the inactive ingredients in the medication, why not also try another generic. Also, please post which manufacturer you have been using and, if you try another generic, post and let us know how you do with that manufacturer. This type of information helps us all in terms of which manufacturers to seek out in pharmacies and which to avoid.
Ray

AOL

#1157 Dec 11, 2008
This is for Steve in Williston Park....

Hi Steve,
Thanks for your comment. I was also unable to post in the reply format....

The manufacturer of the generic brand was TEVA. I have been back on name brand Zoloft for the past week and my rash and hives seem to be getting much better. The itching has decreased dramatically. When my month's supply is up, I will speak to my doctor and pharmacist about trying a generic Sertraline HCL from another manufacturer like Greenstone, although I will be very hesitant on taking a chance. The itching from the rash and hives has been horrible the past three months, and the antihistamines made me look and feel like I was swallowed up by a garbage truck and spit back out (I could swear that I scared my own reflection in the mirror every morning). I may stay on brand Zoloft for now if the rash goes away. I will let everyone know the outcome if I decide on another generic manufacturer in the future. Thanks again Mike. Have a Great Hoilday Season.
Steve

New York, NY

#1158 Dec 12, 2008
A follow-up to Ray --
If you do try another generic, the Greenstone that you mentioned would be a good bet (altho I know there are some posters who say they have had trouble with Greenstone). Greenstone is the generic company owned by Pfizer which makes Zoloft and I have heard from a number of people that it is the same (at least in their experiences). If you do try it, post your experiences with it. Thanks.
Steve

Inwood, NY

#1159 Dec 20, 2008
This is a question for Kate of Chicago who posted a number of times in January of 2007. You indicated you gave the Greenstone generic time to work for you and it did. Are you still happy with that generic?

Also, as a suggestion to all posters: do not just talk about "the generic." It would be a lot more helpful if you would indicate which manufacturer made the generic you are posting about, good or bad. I know Greenstone and TEVA are two companies that make a generic version of Zoloft; perhaps there are others by now. But it is important to know which manufacturers you are finding ok and which you are having trouble with.

Thanks.
Irene

United States

#1160 Dec 25, 2008
I took name brand Zoloft on and off for 14 years and when I first went on it in 1993 and every time I've gone BACK on since then it has always worked for me predictably and wonderfully. At some point after the generic was introduced I was switched to that. I didn't think I noticed any difference at the time, but it may have not been the TEVA generic and in addition, my depressions from the time I was 16 until I first went on Zoloft at 36 were episodic. I even went almost a year without taking Zoloft in the 90's and was okay up until I felt I needed to go back on it again. So when I was switched to the generic I very well may have been okay for a time without Zoloft at all. Well, fast forward to early November, after being off meds altogether for a number of months and doing "okay", I took a serious nosedive due I believe to stress, the shorter days and oncoming holidays. I went to see my primary care physician and she prescribed Zoloft for me again. I got my prescription filled at Walmart and it was the Teva generic. When it didn't work as quickly as I needed it to and had known it to in the past, I ended up in the hospital for 9 days. Here we are on Christmas day after having the dosage titrated up to 200mg. and at some point my newly appointed psychiatrist (hadn't had to have one since 1993) added Wellbutrin as augmentation (again Teva Bupropion) and still no real success. In fact, I think the Bupropion caused anxiety. Any slight improvement I may have thought I felt was probably circumstantial and maybe just getting used to feeling depressed. I'm going to get an RX for name brand Zoloft from my Pdoc asap and pray that it works as effectively as it has in the past.
Rebow

Phoenixville, PA

#1161 Dec 29, 2008
I transferred my script to a new pharmacy and was dispensed a Greenstone manufactured sertraline instead of a Teva. Before I realized what was causing this I began having nausea and dizzyness. I thought I had the flu until I connected the dots and remembered that my illness coincided with the change in meds. I stopped taking the Greenstone sertraline and the symptoms went away. Now three days later I am having the symptoms of withrawal (the room spins when I look around and I feel scattered). My pharmacy has ordered the Teva sertraline so I hope it will be the missing link.
Rebow

Phoenixville, PA

#1162 Dec 29, 2008
Sabine wrote:
I have been taking Zoloft for 12 years. I know exactly what it feels like when I accidentally miss a dose of Zoloft and start to feel withdraw symptoms. I get dizzy.
About 1.5 years ago I switched to generics. When I take a greenstone lab pill, 12 hours later I have the withdraw symptoms equivalent to missing a dose of name brand zoloft. And let me be clear these are not psychosomatic symptoms. Withdraw always feels the same = I get dizzy. So I told my pharmacy to only give me TEVA generic and not Greenstone. They made a note in my "chart" and all was fine, until I had another doctor call in my generic zoloft Rx and the note was lost. All of a sudden I started to feel withdrawl again. One night it was so bad that I woke up in the middle of the night went over to my medicine cabinet, read the bottle and sure enough it said "Mfr: Greenstone lab." I went back to the pharamacy - they apologized and replaced it with TEVA. I feel fine again. No dizzines with TEVA.
I want to say that I figured this all out BEFORE I googled Greenstone lab and found site after site with complaints about Greenstone Labs. I was really quite shocked there are so many of us and nothing is being done to investigate this discrepancy.
My theory is that Pfizer (the manufacturer or Zoloft and Greenstone Lab's generic) has formulated their generic to be inferior just so patients will pay 4 or 5 or 6 times as much as the generic in order to return to the name-brand version. This is totally unsubstantiated of course, but it is my theory nonetheless.
The FDA has become worthless in recent years and can't do their job to control quality. All we can do it spread the word, which is what I am doing here.
I agree with Sabine, there is something different about Greenstone. Teva works for me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Medicine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Psychiatrists say Trump is mentally ill 4 min Tm Cln 123
News Gay men can now donate blood three months after... 11 min Gilbert 3
Vagus Nerve Disorder Causes Symptoms Treatments (Feb '12) 33 min Gene 198
News Analysis of the tortured syntax in Trump's New ... 54 min Humanspirit 1
News Pregnancy Symptoms - 12 Very Early Symptoms of ... (Jun '07) 4 hr Rogue87 7,234
News Discussing making City Park a smoke freea - 12 hr Richy Cunningham 36
News Hardin County woman charged with TennCare fraud... (Dec '10) 12 hr Das Pee Pee 13
More from around the web