Accutane

Accutane

There are 43 comments on the Internet Archive story from Feb 14, 2008, titled Accutane. In it, Internet Archive reports that:

Prior to the development of isotretinoin, the mainstay treatment of moderate to severe or persistent acne was oral antibiotics such as the tetracyclines and erythromycin. via Internet Archive

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Internet Archive.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Joe

Caribou, ME

#1 Mar 2, 2008
Im 16 years old and have been on accutane for 1 month still no huge change in my face other then since day 1 thats i started my pills my face has felt amazing not oily once since i have started and its felt great!!!, i have moderate nodular acne on my cheeks, i did not experience an inital out break while starting.. is it possable i can stil get one? or do you think it would have happened by now, I am on 30mg 1 pill daily Sotret (accutane) please anybody with any information or anything they would like to tell me, please message me on aim (aol instant messanger) at Jscatton21 Thank You!!!!
hopeful holly

Everett, MA

#2 Mar 2, 2008
you could still get one unfortunately...i didnt break out till like 2 weeks later, but hang in there joe im 18 and i know what its like to have sucky skin...im on my 3rd weeek and its clearing up...have hope and hang in there it will get better....be HOPEFUL ! also....get some carmex! it will make life easier...start now before your lips get dry and it will make things better...your just gna have to trust me on this one
Joe

Wyoming, PA

#3 Mar 3, 2008
Thank you so much yea i am currently using carmex, and things are starting to change like the redness nothin huge yet but noticeable, i dont know, i guess im just impacient , but i guess alot of people are when they want something so badly
hopeful holly

Everett, MA

#4 Mar 3, 2008
tell me about it...im so ready for clear skin
Joe

Wyoming, PA

#5 Mar 3, 2008
well its basically the only thing that can clear your skin, theres lots of side effects dryy dryyyy skin chapped lipss headaches secudical thoughts (very rare) all other stuff nothin major its usally a 6 month course you need blood tests every month to check the liver because it can be toxic but i have been willing to take the risks nd so far so good not to much of a change within my first month other then the fact that my face feels amazing, never and i mean never oily not much change visually but ill take it after 1 month, most of the major visual changes are usually in month 3-4 but if you want any other information you can bassically just type in accutane in google and it will tell you tons of stuff! hope i was able to help!!!,,, anyone else who has expericend things or has finished accutane please repost here to help me out here with some confidence... Thanks Guys!!
Joe

Wyoming, PA

#6 Mar 4, 2008
My i just visited my dermatologist yesterday and he said he wants to keep me on 30mg 1 pill a day throughout the course and just keep me on accutane for an extra month.. I do not see no visual change at all after the first month but according to him he likes the way things are going and would rather keep me at what im at rather then uping the dosage and getting me all dryed out and me being misserable.. has anybody ever had this happen to them?? or knows why hes doin this uhhh im just so frusterated i was hopin to get my MG uped =/
hopeful holly

Everett, MA

#7 Mar 4, 2008
i was definately led to believe that my dosage was small but now reading all these posts i guess mines pretty strong...40mg in the morn, 20 in the evening...(130lb, female, 18) i mean i did request to make this a fast process as summer is coming and i cant completely avoid the sun...but being on 60mg a day hasnt been that bad. I mean im dry, but not suffering...my back hurts, chapped lips, headache, and ive had two nose bleeds otherwise. Im all for this high dose!
Meghan

Milpitas, CA

#8 Mar 5, 2008
doseage: 80mg a day (40mg Sotret twice a day)
side effects: much back/neck pain, very dry lips, dry skin, depression, severe joint/muscle aches, dry eyes, stinging sweat on face when i work out, hair loss, eyelash loss, and lack of focus, dry nose (numerous nosebleeds), dry hair, 2 dizzy spells, dehydration (im drinking WAY more than i usually do, around 65-70 oz during my school day), my hearing is more cloudy than usual, and my vision is strange cause of the dryness of the eyes (which, btw, doesnt really get better with eye-drops), and headaches (one that didnt go away all day).
started: February 9th (~ month into treatment)

im going to my derm tomorrow to get my doseage lowered. im completely miserable (esp. with the depression). but im not going off this stuff. im loving the dry face and dry hair though! not the dry lips...thats no fun. i use aquaphor, and its saved my LIFE, cause the sides of my lips (where the top meets the bottom) crack sometimes, and its hard to eat, and i put gobs of it on there at night, and by morning its healed! but if i talk too much then it cracks again...

my mom says its getting better, and i havent had an initial breakout yet, so im a little worried about that. im not convinced though. maybe...im not sure. maybe im too harsh on myself. oh well. im excited to go to my derm!!!
<3
Joe

Wyoming, PA

#9 Mar 10, 2008
To anybody who sees this i am currently now 1 month and 11 days into the sotret (accutane) treatment and my mores on my cheeks have completely closed it looks like i have no pores at all??? hahah its soo great my skin feels amazing still never oily finally normal, but still the small cysts and my cheeks are still kind of red from the blemishes still alot better since i have started accutane.. When can i expect to start seeing the cysts fade away? and the redness fading? Also am i at good progress for only being on basically my first month out of 6??, uhhh!! i feel like my beautiful skin is rite around the corner..anybody who has used accutane who has any information please reply... Thank you sooo much!!!
Joe

Wyoming, PA

#10 Mar 13, 2008
My blemishes i guess you could say scars.. there almost as if there apart of my skin there just like red marks, theres no different feel to them.. will these fade overtime? since there is no like craters in my face and no gapeing holes? there just like bright red when im in a very well lit place.. It is located on the cheeks of my face, no where else on my body, im currently on accutane 30mg 1pill daily
Joe

Wyoming, PA

#11 Mar 16, 2008
Another question about accutane, im about 1 month and a half into accutane, and so far not much visual change of my acne on my cheeks still there n red blemishes, but like i said thats like the only place i get it, but my question is recently like 2 days ago i got a pimple down by my bottom lip a white head, and the next day it was scabbed and fell off? Same thing i got 1 pimple on my forhead then next day which is now its all scabed up?, why isent my cheek acne doing this and im not seeing results yet? maybe im just to anxous? considering im not even 2 months into accutane, out of a 6 month course =/ please anybody who has information or anything to add please post
Smiffy

Chorley, UK

#12 Mar 16, 2008
Joe wrote:
Another question about accutane, im about 1 month and a half into accutane, and so far not much visual change of my acne on my cheeks still there n red blemishes, but like i said thats like the only place i get it, but my question is recently like 2 days ago i got a pimple down by my bottom lip a white head, and the next day it was scabbed and fell off? Same thing i got 1 pimple on my forhead then next day which is now its all scabed up?, why isent my cheek acne doing this and im not seeing results yet? maybe im just to anxous? considering im not even 2 months into accutane, out of a 6 month course =/ please anybody who has information or anything to add please post
Maybe your not seeing much 'cause your on 30mg/day for 6 months.

Try and get your dosage up? I'm on 60mg/day for 4 months and it's working great!
Petesmom

Charlotte, NC

#13 Mar 16, 2008
Accutane is extremely helpful with acne. PLEASE
be aware of side effects. My son was put on accutane
at the age of 13, and the drug changed his life
dramatically. He went from an outgoing, likeable kid, who was very popular and played sports, to a moody, depressed, suicidal child in about 6 months. I was told it was puberty, but it was not. When we took him off accutane, he once again changed. He was still suffering from depression, and at the age of 21, still does, and a few outbursts of rage. NONE
of these aspects were in his personality before. Please know there are long range effects, and please if you see any change in personality, or your parents or friends do STOP taking the drug immediately and see your family physician - not your dermotologist. This is a scary drug, and I feel it should be banned - there are other choices
Nick

United States

#14 Mar 16, 2008
Petesmom, I don't mean to be mean but a lot can happen in highschool that can change his personality that he doesn't tell you about. im 16 and have 20 day left on accutant. i've been on for 5 months and nothing has happened to me except for the people actually complimenting me on my clear skin. anyway my mom thinks that i can tell her anything, but in what i could tell her, i haven't told her anything. Now he could of changed because of accutane, don't get me wrong on that, but age 21 and still has depression? i don't think its accutane, somethings wrong.

Any way i was put on 40 mg right off for two months, then 60 mg for 3 more months. i guess i could say that i have been a little sad, not depressed, but just not my self. But when i look in the mirror and look and my soft clear skin, then i just smile and my whole day is made. it also feels good to be complimented by girls on you clear skin, kinda like they say "Hey i noticed how cute you are." never happened in middle school with huge pimples on my back, chest, and face.
Nick

United States

#15 Mar 16, 2008
hey also for you people who are on high doesages like my one friend. He was on 120 mg! CRAZY. don't go over 80mg whatever you do. if you have to stay on for longer then do it, not worth it in the long run. By the way my friend started to get pancreus problems.

Also for those who are worried that nothing is happening, don't worry. on my first month, i was just having a ton of dry skin and chapped lips and nothing was happening, but on my 2 month it started to change a little. then on the 3rd monthe my chest cleat, then the fourth money my back and face was clear. Just make sure you have lots of lotion and chapped stick.
Nick

United States

#16 Mar 16, 2008
it seems like i always forget something to say. i forgot to give a reason for the people with back or neck or whatever problem you have. the reason is because the accutane dries out everything. even the juice or whatever lubricating your bone joints. it may seem bad but its not, it doesn't completly drie it out.

Meghan, it sounds like you have major problems or you notice little things a little to much. like stinging sweat. that happens because you face is dry. don't like the sting, then don't sweat. The reason you have a lack of focus is because you eyes are dry, like you said. having dry eyes makes you want to close them so they don't have to be exposed to the air causing you to be a bit drowsy and sometimes, like during a boring history lecture, very tired. something that i had to deal with for 5 months.

All the symptoms aren't so bad that you can't bear them. i had all those syptoms, except for sever joint and muscle pain because i had a herniated disk in my back from lifting weights so most of my pain was directed toward that for 3 months while my parents thought i was just being a whimp. lol. but don't think that you goin to kill yourself because of accutane, if your on antidepressents, and you scared of it, then don't take it. simple as that.

by the way meghan i didn't mean to sound rude just trying to get my point across. sorry.:)
meghan

Milpitas, CA

#17 Mar 16, 2008
nick, yea i noticed absolutely everyting that was happening...and i attriuted it all to accutane, because i had been doing WAY too much reading to prepare myself for the drug. i wanted to know exactly what to expectand understand why everything was the way it was. anyways, i started it right around the beginning of a semester, and softball season. i was too stressed out for someone my age and waaay tired all the time. but i had to go off the medication, cause when i had my blood test, the results for my liver functon test were three times higher than they should be...way out of whack. my derm told me to go off immediately, as soon as she got my results but after she had cut my dose in half, cause she thought something was wrong, too.

i think that the body's boundaries need to be slowly pushed when taking this drug. start out low and go higher if you can handle the lower dose. 80mg was very wrong for me to start off on.

and, no i didnt see you as being rude, at all.
joseph

South Orange, NJ

#18 Mar 17, 2008
hey nick why woulnd't you go over 80mg..you say your friends on 120 whats wrong with him?
meghan

Milpitas, CA

#20 Mar 17, 2008
joseph: damage to your body. i had liver problems on 80mg. plus, all the side effects are more concentrated, if thats the right word... its miserable. most bodies cant handle that much isotretinoin, so, yea...
Nick

United States

#21 Mar 17, 2008
yes it can have some bad damage to your body. that why they have the liver test and is very closly watch, if you have a good doctor. if you have very bad symptoms then ask your doctor to lower your dosagee, or tell him to do so. meghan if you acne is bad and you want it to go away then just tell you doctor to put you on 40 mg once a day and do it for a month and see how it is. there will be a lot of dryness because that is what it does. but the drug also reconstructs your pores so they do turn inot pimple for the rest of you life. my doctor said that in 20 year of his career he has had only 2 people comeback with minor, very minute, small cases of acne. so hopfully none of us are that unlukcy 2 people.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Medicine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Smoking may increase kidney disease risk in Afr... 8 min Imgreat 8
News Novavax gains FDA fast track as it ramps up lat... 6 hr anothervoice 1
News Family: Calif. toddler declared brain dead move... 14 hr Jim 2
News Federal tax hike on cigarettes is criticized by... (Mar '09) 17 hr Share tax 6
News Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) 19 hr VaXXed 9,671
News Weight-loss surgery 'cost-effective option' in ... 20 hr gloriawiggin 1
News Bristol Palin says abstinence best path for teens (May '09) 22 hr jeremy75 2,649
More from around the web