Common questions about the Engle Trus...

Common questions about the Engle Trust Fund

There are 57061 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Apr 21, 2008, titled Common questions about the Engle Trust Fund. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

Where did the $600 million come from? Three of the five tobacco companies in the landmark Engle vs.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

Gilligan

Largo, FL

#1053 Aug 10, 2008
hoping in florida wrote:
$600 mil divided by 50 thousand applicants comes out to $120,000 per smoker. Where does the 15 thousand come from?
Hey Professor, you forgot to move the decimal one more place....
HMH

Lake Worth, FL

#1054 Aug 10, 2008
there seems to be some question as to how many claims have been filed, many postings have been made on the subject, but i've only seen one published report from a media source listing a number, found on Law.com stating around 40,000 claims were received by the june deadline, and that was about twice what the lawyers had anticipate, the article also said they expect 25% of those claims end up not qualifying for one reason or another
if your intrested you can find the article @ this address:

http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp...
liz

AOL

#1055 Aug 10, 2008
HMH I recieved reply from ETF that stated that they had recieved over 60,000 to put a claim in,but could't say how many would be the finale number so I guess we will have to wate and see who is able to prove their right to the fund . You e-mail the trust fund and they will reply.
Charles

Miami, FL

#1056 Aug 11, 2008
Anita wrote:
Where he gets his numbers from, I don't know. You would think before people call you idiots, they would at least do the research to make sure their numbers were right so they don't look like an idiot themselves!
Anita
Camel Joe is correct with the approx numbers. The number of applicants may be recuded to more than 25% due to duplication of claims. That's good for those that get approved. Whatever money we get ($12,000,$15,000 or $20,000) it still won't bring back our love ones. It will just easy the pain a little.......
My attorney says it's going to be between $20,000 and $15,000.....
Anita

Pinellas Park, FL

#1057 Aug 11, 2008
Charles wrote:
<quoted text>
Anita
Camel Joe is correct with the approx numbers. The number of applicants may be recuded to more than 25% due to duplication of claims. That's good for those that get approved. Whatever money we get ($12,000,$15,000 or $20,000) it still won't bring back our love ones. It will just easy the pain a little.......
My attorney says it's going to be between $20,000 and $15,000.....
I don't think so! Guess we will have to all wait & see. I believe if an attorney is giving someone numbers at this point, it is just a guess. They have no idea how many will qualify until they give everyone that is denied additional time to prove their claim. How could the possibly know the numbers NOW?
AAACORN

Richardson, TX

#1058 Aug 11, 2008
My wife (not an attorney) but plays one around the house, cause see lays down the law. Sez fougetaboutit! Wait til the documentation is in and stop grabbing numbers out of the air. No one can give you that number til the fat lady sings.
AAACORN

Richardson, TX

#1059 Aug 11, 2008
Just a second thought. I kinda like playing this how many beans in the ETF Jar.
Charles

Cincinnati, OH

#1060 Aug 11, 2008
I never said it was put in stone. Of course it's just a guess at this point in time but I'm sure the attorneys have a better idea since the GCG will give them info before they give it out to the rest of us. You don't think they don't know how many have qualified? Of course. They have
those that qualify, those that are pending (given time to send in more documentation), and those that are denied.
Charles

Cincinnati, OH

#1061 Aug 11, 2008
Anita wrote:
<quoted text> I don't think so! Guess we will have to all wait & see. I believe if an attorney is giving someone numbers at this point, it is just a guess. They have no idea how many will qualify until they give everyone that is denied additional time to prove their claim. How could the possibly know the numbers NOW?
Anita,
The key word here is APPROX.......
MARIE

United States

#1062 Aug 11, 2008
WHEN WILL WE KNOW FOR SURE HOW MANY PEPS QUALIFY
bonni

AOL

#1063 Aug 11, 2008
here's my own opinon of what i think happened to the numbers...
it was estimated to be between 20 and 40,000....THEN the lawyers had from feb till june to place full page ads, daily, in all the newspapers, etc....and from there i am sure the number JUMPED to over 60,000---

so until all the denied are weeded out,we are all just guessing!

another one of those situations where only time will tell!
MARIE

United States

#1064 Aug 11, 2008
WILL IT TAKE MONTHS FOR THEM TO FIGURE OUT
MY ATTORNEY SAID THAT THE PAY OUT MAY COME SOME TIME THE END OF THIS YEAR OR BEGINING OF NEXT HAS ANYONE ELSE BEEN TOLD SOMETHING LIKE THAT ???
Steve in Sunrise Florida

AOL

#1065 Aug 11, 2008
You are so lucid. Thank you for your post. I put a lot of time, work, and even some travel into documentation after my registration. My mother certainly qualifies and I found the proofs I need escept that the diagnosis documentation from her doctors, hospitals, and supports in Port Richey Florida just did not exist. Mom died of End-stage COPD in 1999 and her California death certificate clearly list the "onset 10 years earlier.) However, I could only find one Walgreens perscription record for an inhaller prior to the 1996 date. I am still trying to get files from Medicare Freedom Of Information Archives and from BlueCross Archives. Both of these groups have been very slow and unresponsive. Perhaps, something will come in the next few weeks to support my case, and perhaps the Engle folks will allow more support in this area if I can get it.
We did not keep mom's medical records when whe went into Assisted Living and Hospis. I am sure I am not the only claiment that is frustrated by the process. I have really come to question the whole tort process and think that irresponsible companies need to be controlled through criminal courts.
bonni wrote:
to try to answer a few of the more recent questions...
it is my understanding that the engle trust fund has NO bearing on filing other claims (to answer deborah)
COPD can only be diagnosed IF there is obstruction and pulmonary disease...i do not think EVERYONE who smokes, gets it......(though certainly they are likely to)
as for nancy, from what i have read on here, from others, IF there is a deficiency in your paperwork, you will hear from the trust fund in the next 2 weeks or so....they will give you time to file other documents if need be ....i am guessing if we dont hear anything from them this month, then we filed everything we needed to (and would stand to reason that then we could assume that we are "accepted"....)
as for marc, its too bad you did just learn about it...its been going on for years, but has been in the newspapers almost daily since february---i think they gave a good amount of time (from feb to june) to give people a chance to file a claim...the actual deadline to FILE A CLAIM was in june,(this deadline of aug 1 was for people to send in documents to support their claim)you had to have been registered by the june date in order to be part of this trust fund...
as an FYI the state of florida, from what i understand, only requires medical records be kept for 7 years....many, many people have had a hard time getting documentation...my dad died in 2001 so i was lucky his doctor still had all his files in storage...
i have done extensive research on this trust fund, so if anyone wants to email me directly, i have no problem with that....
[email protected]
Curious

Tampa, FL

#1066 Aug 11, 2008
Have any of the lawsuits gone to trial yet?
bonni

AOL

#1067 Aug 11, 2008
steve...it sounds to me like you have proof of diganosis in the death certificate AND in the prescription from walgreens...proof of residency is an easy one, proof of your right to the claim? probably not a hard one...so what IS it you still need??? proof that she smoked? i only had ONE document that said it and that's all i sent....do you have any photos?
it seems like as long as you have ONE thing to prove each of the 4 qualifications, that is ALL you should need...at least that's how i understood it and how i filed....but i am not a lawyer, so i am just guessing-----
hope it all works out for you---
Steve in Sunrise Florida wrote:
You are so lucid. Thank you for your post. I put a lot of time, work, and even some travel into documentation after my registration. My mother certainly qualifies and I found the proofs I need escept that the diagnosis documentation from her doctors, hospitals, and supports in Port Richey Florida just did not exist. Mom died of End-stage COPD in 1999 and her California death certificate clearly list the "onset 10 years earlier.) However, I could only find one Walgreens perscription record for an inhaller prior to the 1996 date. I am still trying to get files from Medicare Freedom Of Information Archives and from BlueCross Archives. Both of these groups have been very slow and unresponsive. Perhaps, something will come in the next few weeks to support my case, and perhaps the Engle folks will allow more support in this area if I can get it.
We did not keep mom's medical records when whe went into Assisted Living and Hospis. I am sure I am not the only claiment that is frustrated by the process. I have really come to question the whole tort process and think that irresponsible companies need to be controlled through criminal courts. <quoted text>
Vacari

United States

#1068 Aug 11, 2008
I talked to a Rep. of the Trust today and he said that the next two steps will be as follows:
1. October 13- Notice of Distribuion of Funds will be sent out to all applicants and must be post marked by October 13th
2. December 17- Trustee and Courts will meet to discuss Distribution of Funds that are being equally distributed.
I would guess that it will be distributed late February or beginning of March. Due to Holidays!
AAACORN

Richardson, TX

#1069 Aug 11, 2008
I was advised by my magic 8 ball today. It said use my decoder ring for the secret message in all these posts. Could not find it but I put on my mood ring and I'm having a great day.
bonni

AOL

#1070 Aug 11, 2008
i am curious as to what they mean when they say
"meet to discuss distribution of funds"...
once they know how much each person gets, what is there to really discuss? and why do we think it will take 2 months from the time they notify us to the time they "meet to discuss the distribution"...

i know this is there plan, just wondering if anyone knows why the time frame and what the "meet to discuss distribution" means......

my understanding is that the money would be distributed by january of 09....i did read that the judge in miami wanted checks to go out by thanksgiving...i realize that is not happening but hopefully it will be BEFORE easter and passover!
Harve

Rochester, NY

#1071 Aug 11, 2008
To Curious & Lavanderfire etc....

Concerning the 7000 Engle Class Lawsuits ------Have spotted what I believe to be the first ~~~~Appears Top Lawsuit Attorney Gary Paige in old Fort Lauderdale is bringing a group of three to trial in late October .

See web site below for full story

http://www.tobacco.org/articles/state/FL/

Regards Harve
Survivor

United States

#1072 Aug 12, 2008
ETF's count of claims received has been posted THREE TIMES on this forum. READ THE LAST SENTENCE of this e-mail received directly from ETF. 67,000 claimants before duplication and verification. The next person who posts something contrary to this figure will be FLAMED by me.

This is the information I received on July 30, from Engle Trust:
"Upon our receipt of your Class Membership Paperwork Submission Form, we will mail a postcard to you acknowledging receipt. If you have not received an acknowledgement postcard by August 15, 2008, please contact us at 1-888-404-8013.
We will review the documentation you have sent. If it is not sufficient, we will notify you in writing and provide you with an opportunity to cure any deficiencies.
The Court has ordered the Claims Administrator to mail a Notice of Distribution no later than October 13, 2008. That Notice will describe a mechanism through which claimants may comment on the Notice of Distribution. The Court will consider those comments and the recommendation of the Trustee and will decide on the distributions on or before December 17, 2008.
If you should have any other questions, please contact us accordingly. For your convenience, you can also reach us toll-free by calling 1-888-404-8013, Monday through Friday, between the hours of 8:30AM and 5:00PM (PST).
We received approximately 67,000 registrations before deduplication. "

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Medicine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pregnancy Symptoms - 12 Very Early Symptoms of ... (Jun '07) 5 min unknown 6,959
News New research offers clues to cause of Crohn's d... 10 min Stephany McDowell 1
News Why I take my daughter with me to the gynecologist (Dec '14) 2 hr pailrider 319
News Autism risk in younger children increases if th... 10 hr VACCINES MAIM KILL 6
News Holiday Stress Relief, Meditation, and Eight Es... (Dec '12) 18 hr Vibra-Nation New 3
News Study brings grasp of autism gene a 'step closer' 18 hr Stephany McDowell 1
raspa (Apr '11) 20 hr pakipot 80
More from around the web