Common questions about the Engle Trust Fund

Full story: South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Where did the $600 million come from? Three of the five tobacco companies in the landmark Engle vs.

Comments (Page 4)

Showing posts 61 - 80 of57,066
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
ann

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2008

Judged:

What was the letter about the deadline on?Because the deadline to register was June 16,2008 and deadline after you register is August 1,2008 and this is set by Judge Miller.
Jodi

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2008

My mother passed away from COPD in 1/08. Can I get her medical records without a power of attorney? What rights as a survivor do I have to obtain he medical records?
HMH

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2008

i'm pretty sure a hospital will require a power of attorney to give you records, my local one did. but you can call and find out about yours. you might have better luck dealing with her primary care physician. ALSO if you go to the engle trust fund web site, there is a court order, dealing with the release of records that might help you too.

http://www.engletrustfund.com/notice.php3
Sam

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2008

JRS: I got that 'Order'. Now what does this mean?
ann

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2008

Reply about the order refer to in Sam question that was the date that you could bring a suit agaist the tom,companys.This has nothing to due with the fund that was set up called the Engle Trust Fund.The deadline to register for it was June16,2008 and send proof by August 1,2008.
ann

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2008

Sam this could be the order about what proof you
that you had to have to support your claim.

/
Sam

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2008

Ann: I'm sure your right.
ann

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2008

Sam,I recieved the order and it is about relevant time period for contemporaneous and verifiable paperwork must have been in existence on or before Feburary 11,2008.So unless you have copies of medical records and other paper work that was before then I guess they want allow it to be entered as proof.
tom

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2008

ann, why was this letter sent to all of us that filed before the june 16th deadline. its confusing when it says the paper work must be in existance on or before feb 11 08. we have paper work from 1999 and before 1996????
RKB

Sarasota, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2008

Judged:

I know i'm probably stating the obvious,but I understand that, 1- the deadline for filing an individual lawsuit against the tobacco companies was Jan. 18, 2008.(which has nothing to do with the Engle Trust Fund) 2- the deadline for filing for the Engle Trust Fund was June 16, 2008.(which is totaly seperate from the individual case filed). 3- the deadline for getting any information to prove your claim for the Engle Trust Fund is Aug. 1, 2008. If all goes perfectly, they are trying to get all those entitled to a share of the fund their money by the end of Nov. 2008. Now I have two questions, if anyone can help me with. If you have an individual suit against the tobacco companies, and you do prove and recieve any part of the Engle Trust Fund, can that effect any punitive damages if sucsesful in the individual case? And also what other proof besides death certificate, pictures, drivers lisence, can be used? Its been 12 years and everywhere says records have been destroyed. Also, is it just me or is this the computer age? How hard could it be to scan records and save them somewhere for 50 years in a data base. I understand paper folders become large and bulky, but a computer memory card??
ann

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2008

Tom they mean documention that has to be turn in by august 1,2008 to prove our case this is the papers that have to be in existance on or before Feburary 11,2008.You could have copies of proof as long as the medical and other papers to back up your claim existed before that time.I belive some people are trying to get paper work like affiv.and letters to prove their cases and the judge made a order to clarify the paper work needed.
Denette

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2008

Even if your doctor has retired, the medical records should have gone somewhere if within the last 7 years. Try there. I got a letter from the doctor that signed my grandmothers death certificate, they would have known the cause of death. Just to let you know I have gotten conflicting answers from different represenitive from the GCG so I just sent in everything I could find. I have at least one thing from every section.
HMH

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2008

Judged:

i just got the order about the documents having to exist before Feb 11, 2008, also available on line here
http://www.engletrustfund.com/notice.php3

if you can't find medical records and the smoker had filed for disability with social security, you should be able to get a copy of a determination of disability, but it's dealing with SS and takes time and effort, you might also be able to get the medical records there too.
also another place to look for information would be insurance policy's or companies that the victim had policies with.
dotty

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2008

Judged:

Is it too late to file an individual law suit against tobacco companies?
dotty

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2008

Judged:

is it too late to file law suit against tobacco companies on an individual basis?
ann

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2008

Yes it is too late to file a suit the deadline for that was Jam.2008
MES Apopka

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2008

For anyone interested...there is an excellent article on the Engle trust fund (how it came about) and the Engle Progency, the class action suit. This is the group that filed by Jan. 2008
The web site is WWW.WILNER BLOCK.COM
He is one of the first attorneys in Florida to successively litigate against the tobacco co.

this is the group that had to file
lavenderfire1467

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2008

does anyone have an idea yet on how many will qualify?
ann

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2008

they have reported that 43000 have registered.
Interesting

Duluth, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2008

MES Apopka wrote:
Sam, Now is the time to call every friend and relative you can think of.
I was going to suggest the same thing. Check with family and friends.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 61 - 80 of57,066
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

14 Users are viewing the Medicine Forum right now

Search the Medicine Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
How Bad Is Your Breath? 14 Simple Tips For Redu... (Feb '06) 1 hr BB Solved 586
Blueberry growers go to 'pick-it-yourself' model 1 hr LocavoreT 3
How to File A Complaint About DIRECTV (Jul '08) 2 hr crystal cox 203
Editorial: A gold star for legislators on EpiPe... 2 hr Dan 1
Hemorrhoids Home Treatment (Jan '13) 2 hr vicy 11
Improperly Discarded Smoking Materials Cause He... 4 hr Ho Lee Chyt 3
Secondhand smoke as harmful to pets as people 4 hr Ho Lee Chyt 3
•••
•••