First Time Since Ouster, Sullivan Spe...

First Time Since Ouster, Sullivan Speaks - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and Weather

There are 114 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Jun 18, 2012, titled First Time Since Ouster, Sullivan Speaks - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and Weather. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

The NBC29 newsroom received the following statement from University of Virginia President Teresa Sullivan: In 1816, our founder Thomas Jefferson said, "as new discoveries are made, new truth discovered and manners and opinions change with the change of circumstances institutions must advance also to keep pace with the times." We are all aware that ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Chris

Santa Cruz, CA

#103 Jun 20, 2012
Good Thing wrote:
<quoted text>
What are you afraid of Chris, free speech?
Oh, yeah. That's why I think secret cabals, vital decisions reached without meetings of the Board imbued with authority, and a failure to communicate in any way a rationale for, or a vision attached to, major and disruptive decisions represents amazingly bad management. That you can't figure this one out just indicates how comical you are....
Look up "how to make bad management decisions that damage the institution you're pledged to protect"---you'll see a picture of the current BoV. But don't worry, Dragas will be gone on July 1 (so much for her political ambitions), Kington's already gone---even Bob McDonnell thinks the BoV screwed up and made hash out of this.
Again, you're a professional comedian, right?
A current Wahoo parent

Troy, VA

#104 Jun 20, 2012
Dignity pours from the words of President Sullivan. Despite a tumultuous week for her professionally, she shines through with grace, professionalism, and truth. How the BOV could think that UVA will be better off without Teresa Sullivan than it is with her is beyond the comprehension of countless thousands of us alumni, parents, students, faculty, community members, and even some of its very own Board Members. She must have been quite a threat to those not able to project the positive energy, promise, vision, or understanding of how best to run an academic institution. The choice of interim president speaks loudly as to what some ( and it appears to be a minority of folks) view as necessary to "move the university forward." From what so many are now witnessing, President Sullivan's release represents just the opposite of what the BOV claims to desire as her forced resignation is indicative of a huge step backwards for this university as it slips aimlessly into the abyss known as the "good ol' boy network."
Good Thing

Wytheville, VA

#105 Jun 20, 2012
Harry Butt wrote:
<quoted text>Your mouth is spewing with diarrhea. There are only a few people posting here on this subject that are BOV supporters & the majority are Sullivan supporters. If you see your girlfriend, Helen, tell her this.
Hi Sue, troll on...
Sue

Ardsley, NY

#106 Jun 20, 2012
Good Thing wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Sue, troll on...
If you say so. I didn't know Helen was your girlfriend! It is true that you have diarrhea of the mouth! You should talk to "Crazy Indian" on the atheist posting. You both have alot in common!! Let me troll on & that would be a "Good Thing"!!
Good Thing

Wytheville, VA

#107 Jun 20, 2012
Sue wrote:
<quoted text>If you say so. I didn't know Helen was your girlfriend! It is true that you have diarrhea of the mouth! You should talk to "Crazy Indian" on the atheist posting. You both have alot in common!! Let me troll on & that would be a "Good Thing"!!
Happy Trolling Sue...
Good Thing

Wytheville, VA

#108 Jun 20, 2012
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, yeah. That's why I think secret cabals, vital decisions reached without meetings of the Board imbued with authority, and a failure to communicate in any way a rationale for, or a vision attached to, major and disruptive decisions represents amazingly bad management. That you can't figure this one out just indicates how comical you are....
Look up "how to make bad management decisions that damage the institution you're pledged to protect"---you'll see a picture of the current BoV. But don't worry, Dragas will be gone on July 1 (so much for her political ambitions), Kington's already gone---even Bob McDonnell thinks the BoV screwed up and made hash out of this.
Again, you're a professional comedian, right?
What accounts for your venom Chris, fear I may be right? Dr. Sullivan didn't measure up. 12 out of 15 Board members felt that way. That's 80%. Face reality, it is over.
As far as the faculty is concerned this shook them up. Maybe it was intended to.
BTW, Dr. Sullivan had a choice, resign or face a vote of the full Board to remove her. Her choice was to resign. That was a kindness to her not matched by the faculty who insist on challenging a near unanimous decision and throwing UVa under the bus in the process. Would you have preferred a public Board vote to remove her for cause and the resulting damage to her reputation and career? You obviously have no experience in these matters.
Chris

Santa Cruz, CA

#109 Jun 20, 2012
Good Thing wrote:
<quoted text>
Dr. Sullivan didn't measure up. 12 out of 15 Board members felt that way. That's 80%. Face reality, it is over.
Again, "Good Thing," you are so funny! Not only have you consistently gotten your facts wrong, but you love to put up those straw men!! I'm not even sure what you mean by "It is over." Lasting damage to UVA by the BoV--check; Lasting damage to the BoV by their lameness in being unable to articulate why they made a very dramatic decision, and general sleazy behavior--check; the deserving flaming wreckage of BoV members' political careers--check; Lasting damage to fundraising by UVA--check; Likelihood that Teresa Sullivan gets a comparable job at a better institution than UVA--100%. Sorry, what did you say was over, funny guy? Keep chanting 80%---that 80% won't be serving shortly. Maybe you should have read more about this, so you actually knew something about it...or perhaps you might've cared just a little bit about what was best for UVA. But you're too busy being an amateur-hour comedian...
Good Thing

Wytheville, VA

#110 Jun 21, 2012
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, "Good Thing," you are so funny! Not only have you consistently gotten your facts wrong, but you love to put up those straw men!! I'm not even sure what you mean by "It is over." Lasting damage to UVA by the BoV--check; Lasting damage to the BoV by their lameness in being unable to articulate why they made a very dramatic decision, and general sleazy behavior--check; the deserving flaming wreckage of BoV members' political careers--check; Lasting damage to fundraising by UVA--check; Likelihood that Teresa Sullivan gets a comparable job at a better institution than UVA--100%. Sorry, what did you say was over, funny guy? Keep chanting 80%---that 80% won't be serving shortly. Maybe you should have read more about this, so you actually knew something about it...or perhaps you might've cared just a little bit about what was best for UVA. But you're too busy being an amateur-hour comedian...
Is condescension the only tone you have Chris. Sounds like a one-note song...
The former President is dishonorable. Quote:
"But first, I need to make one thing clear. The current reaction by the faculty, staff, and students on and off Grounds, and among the donors and alumni to my impending departure, is not something I have stirred up. I have made no public statement. I have done my best to keep the lowest possible profile."
The dog that didn't bark is that she made no statement to discourage the divisive rhetoric coming from some hot-heads in the faculty. She is playing a harmful game called "let's you and him fight". Having secured her own golden parachute through resignation she leaves a wake of destruction behind her by her inaction. Not one word about reconciliation or healing. That is dishonorable.
Chris

Santa Cruz, CA

#111 Jun 21, 2012
Good Thing wrote:
<quoted text>
The former President is dishonorable. Quote:
"But first, I need to make one thing clear. The current reaction by the faculty, staff, and students on and off Grounds, and among the donors and alumni to my impending departure, is not something I have stirred up. I have made no public statement. I have done my best to keep the lowest possible profile."
*Sigh* You're wrong again, silly guy, and pulling out another phony strawman---let me help you again (and, if you want more than simple explanations from me, at least make a valid point).! Sullivan had made no previous statement, and this (as is clear from the context) was her statement of what she had done prior to making her remarks to the BoV (and to the campus) ten days after she was fired.
You've now completely diverged from the point of the entire thread--that the BoV made a hasty, classless, unjustified decision that greatly damaged UVA. You haven't provided anything that undermines those fundamental points, and now you're just completely blowing smoke.
So. you can continue you with your "Ha-ha, somebody had the authority to fire somebody and they did. Me so happy!" take on the whole thing---which, for anyone who's ever fired someone, is the reaction one expects from a poorly socialized 12-year old, and not an adult.
What bizarre misinterpretation or misstatement will you come up with next?
Too Bad

Wytheville, VA

#112 Jun 21, 2012
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>
*Sigh* You're wrong again, silly guy, and pulling out another phony strawman---let me help you again (and, if you want more than simple explanations from me, at least make a valid point).! Sullivan had made no previous statement, and this (as is clear from the context) was her statement of what she had done prior to making her remarks to the BoV (and to the campus) ten days after she was fired.
You've now completely diverged from the point of the entire thread--that the BoV made a hasty, classless, unjustified decision that greatly damaged UVA. You haven't provided anything that undermines those fundamental points, and now you're just completely blowing smoke.
So. you can continue you with your "Ha-ha, somebody had the authority to fire somebody and they did. Me so happy!" take on the whole thing---which, for anyone who's ever fired someone, is the reaction one expects from a poorly socialized 12-year old, and not an adult.
What bizarre misinterpretation or misstatement will you come up with next?
--------
What are you afraid of Chris? Here is the important part of the post which you left out and didn't respond to:

The dog that didn't bark is that she made no statement to discourage the divisive rhetoric coming from some hot-heads in the faculty. She is playing a harmful game called "let's you and him fight". Having secured her own golden parachute through resignation she leaves a wake of destruction behind her by her inaction. Not one word about reconciliation or healing. That is dishonorable.

BTW, putting words in someone's mouth and misconstruing them is an old lawyer's move, but doesn't pass the red-face test in this case. Let's hear a quote from her about healing and moving on for the good of the University. Instead what we hear is a self serving and one sided invitation to a street-fight between the Board and faculty.

C'mon Chris try and keep up!
Best Thing

Santa Cruz, CA

#113 Jun 21, 2012
Ha, Ha!! BoV meets Tuesday, and they wouldn't be meeting if there weren't the votes to reinstate the illustrious President Sullivan. And, you can read her latest comments in any number of media outlets if you want healing. More than we've heard from the BoV--though Dragas has finally conceded she botched the "firing" (look for her resignation Tuesday night--though she might not bother, since her term ends July 1).
So, as you said above, "Face reality, it is over."
And, Thanks, though it would've been more challenging if you were better informed, more accurate and stayed on topic.
So again,
Thanks for Playing, and Drive Safely!!
XO,
Chris
Too Bad

Wytheville, VA

#114 Jun 22, 2012
Best Thing wrote:
Ha, Ha!! BoV meets Tuesday, and they wouldn't be meeting if there weren't the votes to reinstate the illustrious President Sullivan. And, you can read her latest comments in any number of media outlets if you want healing. More than we've heard from the BoV--though Dragas has finally conceded she botched the "firing" (look for her resignation Tuesday night--though she might not bother, since her term ends July 1).
So, as you said above, "Face reality, it is over."
And, Thanks, though it would've been more challenging if you were better informed, more accurate and stayed on topic.
So again,
Thanks for Playing, and Drive Safely!!
XO,
Chris
Speaking about being better informed read Dr. Sullivan's statement about civility... after her own golden parachute and many days overdue. Guess she listened to me.
Also, read the BoV statement about the challenges facing the University. Clearly Dr. Sullivan was and is not up to it.
Being solely a representative of faculty interests, I wonder if you will get it?
True Hoo

Marietta, GA

#115 Jun 25, 2012
President Sullivan,

Thank you for being the example of poise, elegance, and grace during this time of turmoil. The University community supports you, and we are waiting for your reinstatement as the President of The University of Virginia. Your commitment to the students, faculty, principles, and philosophies we hold so dear to our hearts is unparalleled. Thank you for being a President we could stand in solidarity for.
dr khan

New York, NY

#116 Jul 30, 2012
It's about time!
She has done a great many things to advance UVA however, she should have done this a week ago and prevented a lot of the ugliness.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Medicine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pregnancy Symptoms - 12 Very Early Symptoms of ... (Jun '07) 26 min Tweettiiee 7,136
News Medication For Erectile Dysfunction: How Much I... (Jan '11) 47 min greenhealth 24
News California raises smoking age to 21, tightens v... (May '16) 5 hr Say What 28
News "ICE" Facility Downtown Worries Residents (May '12) 9 hr Fed up 14
News How You Helped Pay for America's Opioid Addicti... 12 hr Moneymaker 1
News Psychoanalyzing the President 13 hr Sandra 21
News Hospital unveils new bariatric center 18 hr Doc Currie 9
Vagus Nerve Disorder Causes Symptoms Treatments (Feb '12) Feb 15 svetik 177
More from around the web