Scabies Is Highly Contagious

Scabies Is Highly Contagious

There are 7322 comments on the Healthcentral.com story from Oct 15, 2005, titled Scabies Is Highly Contagious. In it, Healthcentral.com reports that:

Scabies , a skin condition caused by a burrowing mite, is very contagious and can be spread through families and classrooms, the Mayo Clinic explains.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Healthcentral.com.

quasimodo

Pittsburgh, PA

#7217 Feb 14, 2011
The clobetasol ointment seems to work. It really knocked down the worst of the welts and itchy spots. But his idea that it was dry skin seems to be incorrect. I've been treating my skin with some special creams over the last few weeks with no major result. I still get hives like areas that when scratched, gives welts and scabs.

When it's really bad I use the clobetasol and it goes away. I saw him again and he took a biopsy of it to see what's causing it. Again he insists that it's not bug bites.

Q
lynn

Rio Rancho, NM

#7218 Feb 22, 2011
month 10:
dealing with tick bite. two different condition in or on skin. Started about the same time, first the tick bite then the lines( think this might be a mite of some kind and I think it came with the tick bite) then the fungus. I need some info on a PBO- Piperonyl Butoxide PBO-8 is this, as far as anyone knows, less toxic the what normally comes in the permethrin cream given w/ doctor prescription.
I've gone from a card carrying health nut to using myself a Guinea pig. So I don't really need anyone informing me of dangers, just some info on the PBO and if anyone has used this in conjunction w/ a internal worm medication and how this has worked out.
quasimodo

Pittsburgh, PA

#7220 Feb 23, 2011
lynn wrote:
month 10:
dealing with tick bite. two different condition in or on skin. Started about the same time, first the tick bite then the lines( think this might be a mite of some kind and I think it came with the tick bite) then the fungus. I need some info on a PBO- Piperonyl Butoxide PBO-8 is this, as far as anyone knows, less toxic the what normally comes in the permethrin cream given w/ doctor prescription.
I've gone from a card carrying health nut to using myself a Guinea pig. So I don't really need anyone informing me of dangers, just some info on the PBO and if anyone has used this in conjunction w/ a internal worm medication and how this has worked out.
You really should read through the earlier posts before posting your own. Here's something I posed on the prior page:
As someone said earlier in this forum, piperonly butoxide is added to Permethrin to make it more effective on these critters. There's a good write up on wikipedia on it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piperonyl_butoxi...

Q
Thia Jones

Los Angeles, CA

#7221 Mar 17, 2011
Hi, I am a full time student who contracted scabies approx. one month ago. I self diagnoised the conditon, then went to the Doctor's for the perm.medication. It worked--for one week. Then the critters came back even stronger.
I am in my last semester at school and barely hanging on, due to this conditon. It's taken over my life. I am doing laundry, cleaning and throwing stuff away, taking a bath, etc. I've never experienced anything like scabies. At least when your sick with cancer, flu, you rest. With scabies you must work your ass off to stay on top of it.
Also, tryed the bleach baths and now I look like an eighty year old women w/frizzy hair. Note, I didn't get my hair wet; however, the bleach was absorbed through my cells.
I 've order the sulfur soap and cream. I'll let you know how it goes.
Any advice would be great. I am so tired!
Almost Insane

Lake Jackson, TX

#7222 Mar 24, 2011
I'm sure you all understand, and have read similar messages, but I must say it....THANK YOU ALL OH MY GOD! Finally some people who understand me!!!! I'm sorry you do, god only knows (If there is a god out there I'm about to send him a very angry letter asking him to explain himself and his bastard scabies). My fiance thinks I've gone insane, if only he knew (knocking the wood). My sister is making jokes. If they knew what we're going through they'd certainly slap the grin off their faces. You people are my only friends right now, so, thank you all.
Almost Insane

Lake Jackson, TX

#7223 Mar 24, 2011
Here's what I'm doing, a mixture of different things I've seen on sites like this, and partly w/ the help from my doctor, who by the way, also has scabies (did already when I saw her the first time to find out what the f*ck was wrong with my skin). Don't you find that discouraging? I've been bathing w/ neem oil soap and shampoo for a week, and just got the neem salve, and pills a few days ago. But I'm impatient, so I went and got more permathrin today, and after I steam clean my entire apt AGAIN, my fiance and I will be applying that to one another tonight, super sexy I know. I have tried bleach baths, didn't seem to help, but if I get rid of this, I might just make it a weekly ritual, just in case. Can't wait 'til I can go swimming everyday to ensure that this doesn't happen ever again. Somehow, I've managed to hang on to a little bit of hope. I'll keep in touch...
Jesselyn

United States

#7224 Mar 24, 2011
-excellent Aaron...spam is good. It's so hard to break very old habits....what the heck...go for it.....(that "plan" could EASILY work with all THAT).lol.
Steam Cleaning NO NO

UK

#7225 Mar 25, 2011
Almost Insane wrote:
Here's what I'm doing, a mixture of different things I've seen on sites like this, and partly w/ the help from my doctor, who by the way, also has scabies (did already when I saw her the first time to find out what the f*ck was wrong with my skin). Don't you find that discouraging? I've been bathing w/ neem oil soap and shampoo for a week, and just got the neem salve, and pills a few days ago. But I'm impatient, so I went and got more permathrin today, and after I steam clean my entire apt AGAIN, my fiance and I will be applying that to one another tonight, super sexy I know. I have tried bleach baths, didn't seem to help, but if I get rid of this, I might just make it a weekly ritual, just in case. Can't wait 'til I can go swimming everyday to ensure that this doesn't happen ever again. Somehow, I've managed to hang on to a little bit of hope. I'll keep in touch...
Steam cleanng is a no no, because of the moisture you leave behind. Mites will live longer in humid environments; otherwise, they dry out and die. Try vacuuming. Also, treat your vacuum bag with a miticide.
Almost Insane

Temecula, CA

#7227 Mar 28, 2011
Steam Cleaning NO NO wrote:
<quoted text>
Steam cleanng is a no no, because of the moisture you leave behind. Mites will live longer in humid environments; otherwise, they dry out and die. Try vacuuming. Also, treat your vacuum bag with a miticide.
If that's true, that sucks. I was having a wonderful time imagining them burn up and die.
Insane

United States

#7228 Mar 28, 2011
yeah. What he said.
crawling sucks

Miami, FL

#7229 Mar 29, 2011
Okay, so i treated with permethrin. Still got new itchy sites and a horrible crawling sensation. Feels like roaches crawling over my skin. I'm getting this crawling sensation in my scalp, face, eyelids, thighs, genitals, and buttocks...

This is probably the creepiest part of the scabies experience? So, does anyone else have this disgusting crawling sensation? Is it from the scabies or something else.

I keep hearing conflicting information about this.
Shirley Palmer

Elmira, NY

#7230 Apr 4, 2011
I was infested w/ scabies for 5 weeks after the Dr. had thought it something else. O_n the 6th wk. I went to a dermatologist who prescribed, after scraping lesions, o-nce again, permethrin, which I had use the week before. Used a 2nd time, and am due again to use next wk. HE also prescribed an ontment for my skin( was like cardboard and bright red all of back and breasts.) Triamcinolone Acetonide. A Vasoline base, w/ whatever..(Acetonide)
To use all over body. It does cause itching (joy) and I feel has helped the skin. BUT very sticky, must do 2-3 times daily,( Shower it off to put back on). Can't go anywhere, don't let anyone in.
I have 2 cats.. Should I take to Vet?
Permethrin , according to internet, is a Neural Toxic... and now I will use for 3 times.
Am worried about that.
Also, during this time... in past 2 weeks,l my muscles are weak.. But, can say I don't feel so sick anymore. Was anyone feeling sick, and having weak muscles?
Shirley Palmer

Elmira, NY

#7231 Apr 4, 2011
Would like to now if the mites carry to ur scalp and hair, as I am itching thre a lot.
scabies from iowa

Des Moines, IA

#7232 Apr 5, 2011
o my god mine started about 7 months ago the docter also told me it was eczema then my grandpa said it was stress but that was like i dont know 10 minutes b4 the dermatoligist told me it was scbies and then there was a whole lot of people staying with us around the time i got it u know like visiting so i had to tell them which was really embarrassing and wen i found out i had it i had already gone to the doc like five times and it was my second at the dermatoligists god i swear they should trie and do there job better but i just took applied the creamm premethrin or watever and clean the crap out of our house about threee weeks ago most of the itching has subsided but not totally which kida worries me but no one else is itching so idk and im only 14 nd my cousins one for sure had it but idk bout the other but they are 2 and five its really sad i felt bad but i know i didnt give it to them i have a hunch on where it is from i felt realy gross but anyone can get it event the cleanest most perfect person ever but it kinda just freaks me out
scabies from iowa

Des Moines, IA

#7233 Apr 5, 2011
my scalp has been itching alot to but it could just be the instict since you already itch the rest of ur body why not ur head right but u might want to ask ur docter
lynn

Albuquerque, NM

#7234 Apr 5, 2011
Frankly, I don't have the time to read all the past posts. Sorry if that is somehow lacking for you. I was asking about toxicity not what its used for. Really when a person posts here and you feel you know the response why not go find it yourself in the thousands of posts- as it seems you have the time and knowledge at hand... instead of chastising someone who is only looking for someone with more info. Honestly, there seems to be more then a few people on this site who to sit high and lord over and make the most rude of comments. Maybe everyone can get real- its a site about mites and people looking for help, people who really don't understand whats going on with there bodies.
Anonymous

Dallas, TX

#7235 Apr 5, 2011
Y do doctors not tell people to spot treat any pimple looking spots or at least a month....?
poor baby scabies

UK

#7236 Apr 14, 2011
Is this site now dead? Does the marks eva go away?
Kid with scabies

Rancho Cordova, CA

#7237 Apr 20, 2011
There is a cure!!!!!!!
It is called oregano oil, intructions are :
1. Get essential Oregano oil (doesnt matter which brand)
2. Take a VERY HOT shower . why?(i know u've been told to shower with cold water but for this u will need hot water to open up all ur poors)
----AFTER SHOWER, HAVE #3 READY
3. Mix about 3 drops or oregano oil with 1 teaspoon of virgin olive oil
4. apply to affected areas
5. do this every night and you will have no more scabies in a few days to a week (depending on how bad the case is)
lmcc

Modesto, CA

#7238 Apr 20, 2011
Kid with scabies wrote:
There is a cure!!!!!!!
It is called oregano oil, intructions are :
1. Get essential Oregano oil (doesnt matter which brand)
2. Take a VERY HOT shower . why?(i know u've been told to shower with cold water but for this u will need hot water to open up all ur poors)
----AFTER SHOWER, HAVE #3 READY
3. Mix about 3 drops or oregano oil with 1 teaspoon of virgin olive oil
4. apply to affected areas
5. do this every night and you will have no more scabies in a few days to a week (depending on how bad the case is)
Hi Kid
Thanks so much for sharing your experience.
Could you tell us a little more?
How long have you had this?
Are you still treating scabies or is it history for you?
I hope you are completely cured > :D
I'm in Modesto.
Take care.
lmcc

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Medicine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Will Ontario's pharmacare plan pressure Trudeau... 7 hr linguistic somers... 1
News Vaccine opponents are gaining traction in Washi... 8 hr Samson 8
News What Is the Best Way to Treat Depression? 10 hr Humanspirit 1
News Man Wants Hospital to Remove Surgical Clip (Jan '08) 10 hr kittycatclh 271
News Columbus abortion clinic scrambling to stay open 11 hr BIzzyBee 80
News Natural Ingredients for Healthy Skin (Mar '12) 17 hr apollenhealth 6
News Prescription drug abuse a plague (Oct '14) 19 hr HighLife 35
More from around the web