Scabies Is Highly Contagious

Scabies Is Highly Contagious

There are 7322 comments on the Healthcentral.com story from Oct 15, 2005, titled Scabies Is Highly Contagious. In it, Healthcentral.com reports that:

Scabies , a skin condition caused by a burrowing mite, is very contagious and can be spread through families and classrooms, the Mayo Clinic explains.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Healthcentral.com.

crying out for help

New York, NY

#6835 Apr 1, 2009
First I'd like to start off by saying this is a great forum and I want to thank all of you legit posters who try to help us all through this ..
I viewed this forum frequently about 5 months ago for over a year but never posted because I was always so miserable with the infestation ..

I just read & tried all I could find out and it seemed to have worked...
It's 5 months later now and it seems they are coming back ...

What originally worked for me was the obvious cleaning ritual daily ...
2 perm treatments ( 1 initial treatment and 1 follow up about 5 days later )

and staying on top of it all day long daily with neem and msm soaps lotions shampoos & conditions ..

tetmosol soap is very good help also

but all I have to say is
the only way any of it is going to work
is if your daily ritual is on point

all clothes and fabric furniture must be dealt with
meaning ......

plastic wrap your furniture and clean the plastic daily with a clorox spray
clean all your clothes in hot water with borax if possible
then once dried store them in thick garbage bags tied up and leave them that way for a good bunch of weeks .. leaving enough clothes out to get you through but they must be bagged daily after use and NOT re-worn .. Try to launder your clothing as much as possible and bed sheets must be changed daily
with mattress boxspring and pillows wrapped in plastic and cleaned daily

I hope it works again
but this time I hope it is dealt with for good

because believe me
I know how bad it is to suffer
have suffered it for almost a year

and now its coming back :S

only one major thing
now my wife is regnant and we really dont have money to go through the whole process again

I know between the 4 tubes of perm and all the neem products
cleaning products and constant laundry
it is quite costly

we are barely holding on to our home at this time
things are very difficult

I truly wish there was some miracle help out there

it really seems as though this is becoming a widespread problem and something needs to be done about it to help people out ( like myslef ) who just cannot afford to combat this
nik

Fort Worth, TX

#6836 Apr 1, 2009
crying out for help wrote:
First I'd like to start off by saying this is a great forum and I want to thank all of you legit posters who try to help us all through this ..
I viewed this forum frequently about 5 months ago for over a year but never posted because I was always so miserable with the infestation ..
I just read & tried all I could find out and it seemed to have worked...
It's 5 months later now and it seems they are coming back ...
What originally worked for me was the obvious cleaning ritual daily ...
2 perm treatments ( 1 initial treatment and 1 follow up about 5 days later )
and staying on top of it all day long daily with neem and msm soaps lotions shampoos & conditions ..
tetmosol soap is very good help also
but all I have to say is
the only way any of it is going to work
is if your daily ritual is on point
all clothes and fabric furniture must be dealt with
meaning ......
plastic wrap your furniture and clean the plastic daily with a clorox spray
clean all your clothes in hot water with borax if possible
then once dried store them in thick garbage bags tied up and leave them that way for a good bunch of weeks .. leaving enough clothes out to get you through but they must be bagged daily after use and NOT re-worn .. Try to launder your clothing as much as possible and bed sheets must be changed daily
with mattress boxspring and pillows wrapped in plastic and cleaned daily
I hope it works again
but this time I hope it is dealt with for good
because believe me
I know how bad it is to suffer
have suffered it for almost a year
and now its coming back :S
only one major thing
now my wife is regnant and we really dont have money to go through the whole process again
I know between the 4 tubes of perm and all the neem products
cleaning products and constant laundry
it is quite costly
we are barely holding on to our home at this time
things are very difficult
I truly wish there was some miracle help out there
it really seems as though this is becoming a widespread problem and something needs to be done about it to help people out ( like myslef ) who just cannot afford to combat this
I don't see how they could come back 5 months later unless this is a completely different case. Either you never were cured in the first place or you got reinfected from a new source. And I know what you mean about the financial burden. I have spent thousands and am completely broke. yet I still have to go to work 5 days a week feeling like crap. I've been treating myself intensively for a month now and have made huge progress but I won't declare myself cured until I know for sure it is gone and I don't have symptoms for months. I have pets which makes it much harder to treat. I am treating them too and I just hope and pray that I will be cured soon. good luck this time around.
crying out for help

New York, NY

#6837 Apr 1, 2009
Thank you nik for your reply ...
It was reinfection from the same source..

I was cured but came in contact with them again..
This time I will be sure to cure the source as well ..

Main thing I am very worried about and need info and help from people here - as many here seem to know a great deal ...

What can my wife use now to fight this thats safe for her since shes almost 5 months pregnant ??

we really want to get rid of this before the baby comes ..
crying out for help

New York, NY

#6838 Apr 1, 2009
As I said in my original post

The first time I used Neem & Msm products and 3 perm treatments ..

but I am reading the neem isnt safe for my wife and assuming the perm isnt safe as well ...
(as if I could even afford the doctor visit for the script anyway ):(
So I wouldnt know what we can use and am starting to panic..

we really need help before this gets bad again as its giving us the first signs now for the past week or two that is it coming back ..
nik

Fort Worth, TX

#6839 Apr 2, 2009
crying out for help wrote:
As I said in my original post
The first time I used Neem & Msm products and 3 perm treatments ..
but I am reading the neem isnt safe for my wife and assuming the perm isnt safe as well ...
(as if I could even afford the doctor visit for the script anyway ):(
So I wouldnt know what we can use and am starting to panic..
we really need help before this gets bad again as its giving us the first signs now for the past week or two that is it coming back ..
Many posts here say that sulfur is a safe alternative. Humco brand powdered sulfur mixed with lotion at 10% sulfur. I haven't tried it, but I'm not pregnant either and have been using permethrin. I'm not sure if permethrin is so highly toxic to unborn babies. Pregnant mothers have a safty net so to speak that prevents alot of toxic stuff to reach the womb. this is just what I have read in the past. You can order both off the internet. some pharmacies carry the humco sulfur.
buggie

Houston, TX

#6840 Apr 3, 2009
I hear you nik and crying out about the expense. All my money goes for this. I've made great progress with my environment, but the weak links are my cat (who does not want to be put down) and a roommate who will not change her habits and is reinfecting the house. I have to take a hard look at those areas. You might read how jordan was cured. Please read my posts on cedarcide, it helps so much with the environment, cars, etc.
englishguy

Warrington, UK

#6841 Apr 3, 2009
triphala cures scabies as the man says on you tube helping me at the mo been taking it for 6 days now definetly helps . will not cover myself in malathinol dubac what ever it is or permeharin this stuff can cause cancer . do your own reserch do what you thinks right !
englishguy

Warrington, UK

#6842 Apr 3, 2009
sorry forgot to say had scabies for three months now already used 4 tubes 30 g perm stuff and 5or 6 250 ml of durbac until i found out what this stuff can do to you also do what everyone else has done wash daily beding clothes etc or tumble dry on hot 20 mins or so . triphala i got from nutri centre at tescos . hope this helps
vet1

Indonesia

#6844 Apr 5, 2009
Way back in this thread I saw someone worrying about their cat reinfecting them. Not so - these things are very host-specific (see below)

And Ivermectin (oral) should be a very good treatment.

Humans:

The parasite Sarcoptes scabiei is a tiny skin mite, almost impossible to see without a microscope. It causes a fiercely itchy skin condition known as scabies.

... caused by the host-specific mite, Sarcoptes scabiei var hominis....

Human scabies is caused by the S scabiei mite, var hominis, an obligate human parasite.

Cats:

Feline scabies is caused by a tiny mite called Notoedres cati. This mite affects cats very much like the sarcoptic mange mite affects dogs; in fact, their life cycles and treatments are very similar.

Dogs:
Canine scabies is a well-known contagious skin disease due to the development and reproduction of a specific mite in and on the skin, belonging to the family Sarcoptidae, Sarcoptes scabieivar. canis. It represents 2 to 4 % of dermatology cases. It is one of the major causes of marked pruritus in dogs.
gyro1

Indonesia

#6845 Apr 5, 2009
Saw a study where a single dose of oral Ivermectin (200 mcg per kg) was useful, but better results were achieved with a second dose two weeks later. Ivermectin is quite long acting so in theory simultaneously treating everyone in a household twice with a two week interval would resolve most problems, as the adult mite usually only survives a maximum of 3 days off the host (but in a severe crusted infection there may be enough skin material in bedsheets etc for them to survive up to 7 days)
gyro1

Indonesia

#6846 Apr 5, 2009
And it seems to me more "normal" cleaning (at the same time as the Ivermectin dose for all) might do more good than 'extreme' cleaning (ie - it is more likely to get done) Not sure how accurate the following is, but makes sense to me:

Normal washing of towels, linens and all clothes used within the previous three days is typically sufficient to prevent re-infestation. The temperature of the wash water doesn't matter, as the mites could not possibly survive a normal washing procedure. Clean clothes or heavy winter jackets and sweaters need not be cleaned. Pesticides should not be used to fumigate the affected areas, as the scabies mite is only contagious if it is already infecting someone.
buggie

Houston, TX

#6847 Apr 6, 2009
Gyro, that cut and paste is so wrong. Can't possibly survive a washing process ha! Tell that to the bugs. Lol. And not treat a heavy jacket ugh. I washed a ralph lauen comforter in a hot wash and dried it for a hour, got in it cozy and warm and woke up 3 hours later with mites racing all through that comforter. I bagged it and threw it in the dumpster. I don't have big thick blankets anymore.
Gyro1

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

#6848 Apr 7, 2009
Buggie, you could be right, I just saw another site recommend hot water, or bagging all clothes for 72 hours:(below)

But we have had 3 outbreaks in our house in the last 3 years (usually starting from kids) and have got them all fixed up in each case with only one primary victim (the original one!) and with others only having a few scratch spots! I am on here now because just got back from a trip through Sumatra and Java and came home red all over. Used Malathion cream (all over) left on overnight for two days, now only a few red patches - all suspect clothes into the wash, change sheets, towels daily - hope we've got it!(but one new victim reported - we apply topically and immediately to any new itch - with an 'all over" that night.(Oh yeah - get some anti-inflammatory and/or anti-histamines to stop the itch - really helps.)

Infection control

On the same day that you first apply the cream, you should also wash all clothes, bed linen, and towels, at a temperature of above 50C (122F)....or ... place them in a plastic bag for at least 72 hours, by which time the mites will have died. It is not necessary to fumigate furniture, pets, or carpets.
Gyro1

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

#6849 Apr 7, 2009
..... but are you talking of lice or mites? You won't really see the mites, or feel them (other than the itch!)
Joe

Hollywood, FL

#6850 Apr 7, 2009
Gyro1 wrote:
Buggie, you could be right, I just saw another site recommend hot water, or bagging all clothes for 72 hours:(below)
But we have had 3 outbreaks in our house in the last 3 years (usually starting from kids) and have got them all fixed up in each case with only one primary victim (the original one!) and with others only having a few scratch spots! I am on here now because just got back from a trip through Sumatra and Java and came home red all over. Used Malathion cream (all over) left on overnight for two days, now only a few red patches - all suspect clothes into the wash, change sheets, towels daily - hope we've got it!(but one new victim reported - we apply topically and immediately to any new itch - with an 'all over" that night.(Oh yeah - get some anti-inflammatory and/or anti-histamines to stop the itch - really helps.)
Infection control
On the same day that you first apply the cream, you should also wash all clothes, bed linen, and towels, at a temperature of above 50C (122F)....or ... place them in a plastic bag for at least 72 hours, by which time the mites will have died. It is not necessary to fumigate furniture, pets, or carpets.
it depends on the type of mite, the humidity level, and other factors as to how long the mite survives in the environment. Dog mites, which will infest humans, can survive in the environment for 10 days or more. So, bagging the clothes, etc. for 72 hours may not be long enough to kill all the mites.
Joe

Hollywood, FL

#6851 Apr 7, 2009
vet1 wrote:
Way back in this thread I saw someone worrying about their cat reinfecting them. Not so - these things are very host-specific (see below)
And Ivermectin (oral) should be a very good treatment.
Humans:
The parasite Sarcoptes scabiei is a tiny skin mite, almost impossible to see without a microscope. It causes a fiercely itchy skin condition known as scabies.
... caused by the host-specific mite, Sarcoptes scabiei var hominis....
Human scabies is caused by the S scabiei mite, var hominis, an obligate human parasite.
Cats:
Feline scabies is caused by a tiny mite called Notoedres cati. This mite affects cats very much like the sarcoptic mange mite affects dogs; in fact, their life cycles and treatments are very similar.
Dogs:
Canine scabies is a well-known contagious skin disease due to the development and reproduction of a specific mite in and on the skin, belonging to the family Sarcoptidae, Sarcoptes scabieivar. canis. It represents 2 to 4 % of dermatology cases. It is one of the major causes of marked pruritus in dogs.
The sarcoptic mite will cross over into other other species. The mites which effect dogs, can cross over to cats, and then to the human. Yes, cats to have their own mite, the Noteodris (spelling?), but as long as there is a warm blooded mammal, could be any mammal, bird, fox, dog, cat, livestock, these sarcotic mites can infest. I think they have evolved into this cross contamination. The literature seems to be outdated right now. I also think that global warming and easier global travel plays a huge factor in this.
SassyB

Bedworth, UK

#6852 Apr 9, 2009
Iv got scabies ALL over my hands,theirs so many bumps inbetween my fingers that its hard to stop one finger rubbing against the next which is extreamly irritating as it makes the itch worse-just when i think iv itched it the other hand starts then im itching both of them so much i cry with frustration,i feel like im never going to get rid of them. I put on borax lotion percribed by the doctor almost 48hrs ago but since i have been noticing bumps and rashes and itching all over in places that didnt itch before treatment.....and my hands OH MY GOD the itch has got even worse just when i though they couldnt possiably itch any more than they did....... Problem is that if this treatment doesnt work i cant use another because im 21weeks pregnant,im so scared i wont be able to hold my baby when shes born because i'll still have it. How do i know if it's going if the rash and itch doesnt go?
Gina

New Orleans, LA

#6853 Apr 11, 2009
It might seem like the scabies and itching will never go away but it take up to 4 weeks after treatment to fully stop itching. The 5 percent cream should get rid of the mites after 8 or so hours but the eggs are still in your skin. The worst itching will occur about 2 to 3 weeks after treatment because the eggs are dying but this will get much better. I am on my 4th week after treatment and feel so much better. My doctor also told me to rub 100% tea tree oil ( which you can get at my drug store) all over your body daily to prevent the itching and soothe your skin. This will also help prevent and treat scabies. I had scabs all over my body from itching so hard and the oil helped heal them and greatly stop the itching. Hope this helps!
Jenna

Philadelphia, PA

#6854 Apr 14, 2009
If anyone is interested, AAOHN Journal has a great article posted about scabies and how it affects people in the workplace. I found the article at http://www.aaohnjournal.com/showAbst.asp... and found it to be quite a good read.
grace

Austin, TX

#6855 Apr 24, 2009
is it safe to wear scabie medicine while pregant?
im about 6 months pregant and my sister has
scabies because of the nasty house she was living in she moved back home and now me and my mom have them the doctor purscrived her scabie medicine and i put it on once a week like it says is it safe to put the medicine on since im pregnant?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Medicine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Discussing making City Park a smoke freea - 19 min I live here too 34
News Developing nations are taking the lead on healt... 2 hr tomin cali 1
News Pregnancy Symptoms - 12 Very Early Symptoms of ... (Jun '07) 3 hr babygirl 7,215
News Stop those naturopaths who spread anti-vaxxer m... 19 hr Ali 1
News Wanted Nashville suspect surrenders Sat baaarrrtt 2
News There's a new doc in town (Sep '14) Fri Homer 4
News Questions to ask your dentist about preventativ... (Aug '15) Fri liza_0801 11
More from around the web