Scabies Is Highly Contagious

Scabies Is Highly Contagious

There are 7285 comments on the Healthcentral.com story from Oct 15, 2005, titled Scabies Is Highly Contagious. In it, Healthcentral.com reports that:

Scabies , a skin condition caused by a burrowing mite, is very contagious and can be spread through families and classrooms, the Mayo Clinic explains.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Healthcentral.com.

be calm

UK

#6396 Jun 15, 2008
Itchy wrote:
I'm a complete hypochondriac and I have a friend who told me she just found out she has scabies. We rode together in a car to a bridal shower (hour car ride) but we never sat right next to each other.
I think I'm just freaking myself out, but what are the chances I have it. Do you have to touch skin with them?
HI there
there is a little chance that you may have contracted it, but your friend is being a good friend by not hiding it and letting you know. Don't even wait for symptom to show up,as this can take weeks, don't panic and go to your doctor and tell him and give yourself a treatment just to be on the safe side.
Itty Bitty Critters

Hollywood, FL

#6397 Jun 16, 2008
Itchy wrote:
I'm a complete hypochondriac and I have a friend who told me she just found out she has scabies. We rode together in a car to a bridal shower (hour car ride) but we never sat right next to each other.
I think I'm just freaking myself out, but what are the chances I have it. Do you have to touch skin with them?
The only thing that I would be concerned about, is, who the car belongs to? If the car belongs to your infested friend, then, the mites may be on the seats of the car and will crawl on you and may infest you.

But, if the car belongs to someone who does not have mites, then I don't think you have anything to worry about; especially, since you did not sit next to her.

Since: Jun 08

United States

#6398 Jun 17, 2008
I just found out about magicpharma.com . They are off on holiday until 10 Aug. I can;t wait that long. Is their another website?
justin

United States

#6399 Jun 17, 2008
coal tar shampoo gets bird mites off your body. it is a miracle shampoo, got mine at walgreens I actually for the first time saw the little buggers
juju

Old Bridge, NJ

#6400 Jun 17, 2008
iam looking for boyfriend with the scabies, iam 28 years old male, nice looking, live in NJ
juju

Old Bridge, NJ

#6401 Jun 17, 2008
i have some helpful information about scabies treatment, how people treat scabies in Russia, i want to translate it but i dont speak english fluently. ill give you link maybe somebody translate it for you
http://consilium-medicum.com/media/consilium/...

“Scabies Help and Advice ”

Since: Apr 08

Santa Monica

#6402 Jun 19, 2008
I read a very interesting article from headlice.org which may or may not explain some of the people's different symptoms out there... & why treatments for scabies is not working http://www.headlice.org/report/research/jnyes...

“Scabies Help and Advice ”

Since: Apr 08

Santa Monica

#6403 Jun 19, 2008
Miserable in SA wrote:
Does anyone know if baby scabies or lice ever look like glitter or sparkle? I thought I read something like this but can't find it.
How is everybody?
Mis
I read a very interesting article from headlice.org which may or may not explain some of the people's different symptoms out there... & why treatments for scabies is not working http://www.headlice.org/report/research/jnyes... One the main site headlice.org there is a section on scabies where they have a "report" section. here they ask if you see "crystal type" specs. i had these too.. but now after reading the pdf article, and google collembola eggs, the tiny eggs which i've been combing out of hair & skin very much resemble these

Since: Jun 08

United States

#6404 Jun 19, 2008
Never say that. Life is a blessing. A lot of us can not afford all RX that is needed. God knows I have spent over 1000.00 dollars. I was in Iraq for 15 months and I never wanted to die. To preserve one's life in instilled in us all. Self preservation, chaplain, and loving self is the answer. AA would help too. Still in the military and still fighting scabies, but I refuse to every give up on my God and myself. 20 of us contracted scabies and were treated. Tent life can be harsh. I'm being treated for eczema when I clearly have scabies, but I refuse to EVER give up. My life and your's matter.
Itty Bitty Critters

United States

#6405 Jun 20, 2008
Miserable in SA wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, Mary! I miss you. I guess I will have to read up on Bird mites. how are you?
I have been so worried about this that I can't concentrate at work and will probably loose my job soon. I just have to control my thinking (about the little monsters)but it's so hard to just turn it off. Let me know how your are doing? ok Take care. MIS
Hi Mis!! I didn't see your post until just now. Mis... You know what has been helping me keep these things at bay? Guess. No. not that. Guess again. No, certainly not that. It is ivermectin pour on. I just rub it into my hands and arms and feet and legs. It's working so good for me. And I have a dog now, too. You should try it. It would definitely help you at your job. I am sorry you are having such a hard time at your work. Get your rest, and just keep on keeping on. You may have to change careers and get a job that is not a desk job. Maybe a waitressing job, where you move around all the time. take care, Mis.
Itty Bitty Critters

United States

#6406 Jun 20, 2008
Oh Mis. I guess I should tell you that I bought 5 liters of ivermectin pour on for $59. Yes, let me repeat. 5 liters of ivermectin pour on for $59. It's called Cowmectin. One poster told me that I can just use it as an environmental spray for that price.
Miserable in SA

AOL

#6407 Jun 21, 2008
Itty Bitty Critters wrote:
Oh Mis. I guess I should tell you that I bought 5 liters of ivermectin pour on for $59. Yes, let me repeat. 5 liters of ivermectin pour on for $59. It's called Cowmectin. One poster told me that I can just use it as an environmental spray for that price.
Mary, I am so glad for you! Let me know how your environment is shaping up. For awhile there I would have sworn that I have noseeums but not so sure now. I am really thrilled for you. This could be the one thing that kicks these bugger out of your life. I found a doctor to work with me and he running test to eliminat other options. I will see how he does and if I am cured.
Mary, can you imagine how much we will savor life without mites. I will check into the cowmectin too. Take care Mary! and bless you!

MIS
Kaycee

Kansas City, MO

#6408 Jun 23, 2008
Yes! I have found that the ivermectin pour-on has worked better for me than anything else. I am truly glad that it is working for other people with stubborn and hard to eradicate mites. Also, when I had truly stubborn areas, using the pour-on and permethrin at the same time to spot treat usually did the trick. My scalp is the only bad area and I believe it is because of possible "colonies" that went unchecked for a very long time. They seem to be in the dermal layers of some sort. I am slowly getting rid of them also.

Kaycee formerly the other casey.
May they die in agony

Del Mar, CA

#6409 Jun 23, 2008
Hi Kaycee,

Try alcohol on your scalp to kill surface crawlers. And the pour-on can be applied right on the scalp. It's supposed to obsorb into the blood stream and become systemic but I think it mostly effects the areas where it's applied. Remember Avermectins only kill adult mites. It's good that you're using Permethrin to kill immature mites.

Keep treating to kill new hatchers. The eggs are a real big problem.

I've got the Dectomax pour-on. I think doramectin is oily and it's put in some sort of alcohol base. I've found it more effective if I used more than the labeled dose of 1 cc per 22lbs. What the hell... at least my dead body won't be eaten up by parasites. And I have Lindane which I don't think kills the eggs, even though it's supposed to.
Kaycee

Kansas City, MO

#6410 Jun 24, 2008
May they die in agony wrote:
Hi Kaycee,
Try alcohol on your scalp to kill surface crawlers. And the pour-on can be applied right on the scalp. It's supposed to obsorb into the blood stream and become systemic but I think it mostly effects the areas where it's applied. Remember Avermectins only kill adult mites. It's good that you're using Permethrin to kill immature mites.
Keep treating to kill new hatchers. The eggs are a real big problem.
I've got the Dectomax pour-on. I think doramectin is oily and it's put in some sort of alcohol base. I've found it more effective if I used more than the labeled dose of 1 cc per 22lbs. What the hell... at least my dead body won't be eaten up by parasites. And I have Lindane which I don't think kills the eggs, even though it's supposed to.
Thank you for the suggestion! I will try the alcohol based Ivermectin pour-on which I had replaced with the Ivomec Eprinex. I was having pretty good success with it until I switched because the oil felt better in the other type.
I have two spots that are difficult because I already had sensitive scalp issues. This critter infestation gravitated toward the sensitive area and is reluctant to leave. I have had success but not complete eradication due to the eggs as you mentioned. Excellent suggestion! Again, Thank you!
sweetspirit

O Fallon, MO

#6411 Jun 24, 2008
I was recently diagnosed with scabies unfortunately. It seems like I am due an ongoing battle but I refuse to give in to the notion that I will have this for months.

I have constantly been applying perm 5% on myself and wash my sheets, towels, and any clothes I even TRY ON. I think that's really all you CAN do in order to break the cycle. The eggs are the problem. Since we probably had the pesky little buggers way before we actually sought help, that means we have several cycles of birth to kill. My best advice from everything I've read is to make it a daiy habit of throughly washing/spraying disinfectant on anything we touch. That means our house, car, office, etc. Iron your mattress even or buy a plastic cover! And constantly apply a prescription cream. My itching has subsided after a few days but there are four things I keep with me and CONSTANTLY use. Perm 5%, Lysol spray, hydrocortisone (which is over the counter...helps me NOT to itch and spread eggs), and lastly an insect repellent that specifically mentions 'chiggers' and 'no-see-ums' and has picaridin. Maybe the last one is unnecessary but in my opinion, every little bit helps and makes me feel better!
may they die in agony

Del Mar, CA

#6412 Jun 24, 2008
Kaycee wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for the suggestion! I will try the alcohol based Ivermectin pour-on which I had replaced with the Ivomec Eprinex. I was having pretty good success with it until I switched because the oil felt better in the other type.
I have two spots that are difficult because I already had sensitive scalp issues. This critter infestation gravitated toward the sensitive area and is reluctant to leave. I have had success but not complete eradication due to the eggs as you mentioned. Excellent suggestion! Again, Thank you!
Hope that alcohol is helping your scalp. I thought the pour-on was systemic but the vet who has been treating my dog for mange said the pour-on does not have a carrier that would make it systemic, so it basically stays on and works on the area where it's applied.
TKChristensen

Omaha, NE

#6413 Jun 25, 2008
I had Scabies one year ago.. I treated them twice with the cream given to me by the doctor.. but recently I've been itching again, I got my thigh yesterday to where its starting to bruise from my itching. I haven't been in contact with anyone who has had it recently, could this still be the same case of Scabies I had a year ago and treated twice? Or am I just paranoid?! I can't help but think about the 3 months of hell I endured last year. Advice?
Itty Bitty Critters

Hollywood, FL

#6414 Jun 25, 2008
TKChristensen wrote:
I had Scabies one year ago.. I treated them twice with the cream given to me by the doctor.. but recently I've been itching again, I got my thigh yesterday to where its starting to bruise from my itching. I haven't been in contact with anyone who has had it recently, could this still be the same case of Scabies I had a year ago and treated twice? Or am I just paranoid?! I can't help but think about the 3 months of hell I endured last year. Advice?
treat it. go to the doctor and have it checked out. get yourself some permethrin cream again. the sooner you get it, the sooner it will cure.
Itty Bitty Critters

Hollywood, FL

#6415 Jun 25, 2008
may they die in agony wrote:
<quoted text>
Hope that alcohol is helping your scalp. I thought the pour-on was systemic but the vet who has been treating my dog for mange said the pour-on does not have a carrier that would make it systemic, so it basically stays on and works on the area where it's applied.
the pour on has to be systemic. anything you put on your skin, will go into your bloodstream. especially, this ivermectin pour-on. it's just another way of administering ivermectin. orally, intravenously, and topically. hello? what is your vet's phone number. I will talk to them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Medicine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bill would ban smoking in all New York hotel rooms 1 hr Cujo 18
News Playground smokers banned? 1 hr COUGH COUGH HACK OMG 5
News Planned Parenthood seeks fed study of fetal tis... 1 hr rfirma1 751
News Indianapolis joins fight against childhood obesity 2 hr The Truth Sayer 1
News Amanda Peterson died of accidental overdose 3 hr gdhkyjk 1
News Hopkins' gynecologist case yields 1,200 naked p... (Mar '14) 4 hr thenose 20
News Baby who fell off mall train ride dies from inj... (Mar '09) 5 hr Miami305305 22
More from around the web