Scabies Is Highly Contagious

Scabies Is Highly Contagious

There are 7320 comments on the Healthcentral.com story from Oct 15, 2005, titled Scabies Is Highly Contagious. In it, Healthcentral.com reports that:

Scabies , a skin condition caused by a burrowing mite, is very contagious and can be spread through families and classrooms, the Mayo Clinic explains.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Healthcentral.com.

zooks

Idaho Falls, ID

#5972 Jan 30, 2008
Oh one more thing
at the risk of sounding like a crazy lady, we got rid of the mites in our cars, and home by heating it up really hot every saturday for 5 weeks.
I think I have mentioned that on here once before.
I dont want to freak anyone out - but heat over 140 F will kill any mites in your environment.

keep up the fight, we will all eventually get there!
z
BoringTrash

Rio De Janeiro, Brazil

#5973 Jan 30, 2008
My laptop caught on fire on my bed. And my bed needed to be replaced. I'm in Capacabana, Rio De Janeiro.

I gave R$150 to the landlord to get me another bed. He brought me a used bed. Right? And you know what it had on it? I'm certain it was the bed because I had been alone in my apartment and with almost NO contact for months.

Now they are everywhere. I wish there was a way to see where all the bastards are.

This is the best part: I went to the laundry and told the woman that these bags are infested with scabies mites. She understood. I asked her to wash and dry. I actually thought they might add something special to the wash but they didn't.

Next day I come back to pick up my clothes and they are sitting there on the floor in baskets wet and next to all the other bags of other people's washed clothes, which were not fully closed bags.

Can you believe it? Its possible that this stupid moron just infected the entire apartment building.
MISERABLE IN SA

AOL

#5974 Jan 30, 2008
BoringTrash wrote:
My laptop caught on fire on my bed. And my bed needed to be replaced. I'm in Capacabana, Rio De Janeiro.
I gave R$150 to the landlord to get me another bed. He brought me a used bed. Right? And you know what it had on it? I'm certain it was the bed because I had been alone in my apartment and with almost NO contact for months.
Now they are everywhere. I wish there was a way to see where all the bastards are
This is the best part: I went to the laundry and told the woman that these bags are infested with scabies mites. She understood. I asked her to wash and dry. I actually thought they might add something special to the wash but they didn't.
Next day I come back to pick up my clothes and they are sitting there on the floor in baskets wet and next to all the other bags of other people's washed clothes, which were not fully closed bags.
Can you believe it? Its possible that this stupid moron just infected the entire apartment building.
Get one of those blow up mattresses. Mary uses one and says it's alot easier to clean and no mites.No mites.... No itching.
Sam

Courtland, CA

#5975 Jan 30, 2008
Mite Killer wrote:
<quoted text>
2 or 3 weeks in the clear and then symptoms. Seems like a mite life cycle problem of maturing mites reaching adult stage. A problem that I have also experienced. But where are they coming from?
Where are they coming from, my question exactly. A 3rd option is that someone at work has them, and is reinfecting me. I have a few other tricks up my sleeve to try.

Zooks, are you soaking your feet in borax every day? I agree with ReyRay that these things multiply in unwashed and bagged clothes, even washed bagged clothes too I think.

Since: Jan 08

Chicago, Il

#5976 Jan 31, 2008
Sam wrote:
<quoted text>
Where are they coming from, my question exactly. A 3rd option is that someone at work has them, and is reinfecting me. I have a few other tricks up my sleeve to try.
Zooks, are you soaking your feet in borax every day? I agree with ReyRay that these things multiply in unwashed and bagged clothes, even washed bagged clothes too I think.
Sam- Do you really think they multiply in washed clothes as well? I mean, I suppose it's possible if the water wasn't hot enough to kill them or not enough borax or bleach was used, but do you think that it's a prime source of reinfestation? Geez, Sam, how the heck does anyone EVER get rid of these, if that's the case. What else can we do??? This is so frustrating. I don't have to tell you that. Just venting.
zooks

Idaho Falls, ID

#5977 Jan 31, 2008
Hey sam
no I am just spraying them down with listerine when I get out of the shower,
I've been feeling great the past couple of days though. May try that again though - thanks
p.s. thought I should mention that when you get the jesters herbs :) that you might want to take them at night before you go to sleep....(mostly because that way you wont smell like an italien kitchen during the day)

Cant take this - I definately know from experience that they will survive perhaps even increase in bagged dirty laundry....I found that out when we went to a cabin and I was unable to wash clothes only bag them away... I was re-infested immediately when I reached into a bag.
How ever I do think with your water heater turned up as high as it will go - tide with bleach and borax etc that you will be ok, most, if not all of the time with your clean laundry. As long as you do all the suggested things like not to overload etc

Chicago, Il

#5978 Jan 31, 2008
zooks wrote:
Hey sam
no I am just spraying them down with listerine when I get out of the shower,
I've been feeling great the past couple of days though. May try that again though - thanks
p.s. thought I should mention that when you get the jesters herbs :) that you might want to take them at night before you go to sleep....(mostly because that way you wont smell like an italien kitchen during the day)
Cant take this - I definately know from experience that they will survive perhaps even increase in bagged dirty laundry....I found that out when we went to a cabin and I was unable to wash clothes only bag them away... I was re-infested immediately when I reached into a bag.
How ever I do think with your water heater turned up as high as it will go - tide with bleach and borax etc that you will be ok, most, if not all of the time with your clean laundry. As long as you do all the suggested things like not to overload etc
Aw, man! I have several bags of dirty laundry that I haven't touched in about 2 weeks or so, am just doing 'heavy rotation' items like the clothes I wear to work and night clothes. I have veritable mite parties in those bags now! I knew they survive, but for some reason didn't even think of them multiplying! This is awful!! Well, I guess I'm glad I found out now so that I can make sure I wash EVERYTHING that I haven't, and try to maybe only have a bag or so of dirty stuff that I get to quickly.
One question though- for you Zooks or anyone, I live in an apartment and therefore have no control over the actual degree of the hot water- it's just 'hot' on the dial. Am I just doomed??
zooks

Idaho Falls, ID

#5979 Jan 31, 2008
No not at all!
During this ordeal My 2 year old dryer broke down, followed shortly behind by my washer -
So I went from using boiling hot hot water at home, to having to use 'hot' water at a laundry mat (not very hot) I did use extra borax/tide and it seemed to be OK. I also dried them for longer.
You might just want to make your loads nice and small with more soap.
I think your rotation of clothes is a great idea.
And its just really hard to not have dirty clothes sitting around in bags for a while when there is SOOO much laundry involved. Just do what you can, maybe they dont actually multiply - I just had a bad experience....
I cant take this

Chicago, IL

#5980 Jan 31, 2008
zooks wrote:
No not at all!
During this ordeal My 2 year old dryer broke down, followed shortly behind by my washer -
So I went from using boiling hot hot water at home, to having to use 'hot' water at a laundry mat (not very hot) I did use extra borax/tide and it seemed to be OK. I also dried them for longer.
You might just want to make your loads nice and small with more soap.
I think your rotation of clothes is a great idea.
And its just really hard to not have dirty clothes sitting around in bags for a while when there is SOOO much laundry involved. Just do what you can, maybe they dont actually multiply - I just had a bad experience....
Thanks Zooks. I just kind of freak out sometimes with all the new information and things I don't want to do wrong. The water seems to be prety hot- steam comes out of the washer. I'll just keep on keepin on...
zooks

Idaho Falls, ID

#5981 Jan 31, 2008
that sounds plenty hot then:)
Sam

Courtland, CA

#5982 Jan 31, 2008
I can't take this, didn't mean to freak you out. MK posted a link that they do indeed lay eggs without a host, and the female only needs to be fertalized once to remain pregnant for the rest of her life. Do the laundry as soon as you can. I've made the mistake of just letting it sit in bags, and these things are not like lice, they don't just die out in bagged up infested articles.

Now that you mention it when I was getting reinfested by clean bagged clothes was before I started using borax. I think you'll be ok with the borax. I don't bag clean clothes anymore though, just to let any mites that survived the wash to dry out.
Sam

Courtland, CA

#5983 Jan 31, 2008
Thanks for the tip on taking the paraclear at night. Your posts are always helpful.
Nam Erewhon

Lower Hutt, New Zealand

#5984 Feb 1, 2008
My story
I have this mysterious problem too, this brush with this organism X, mites? It started with itchy papules, first noted in April 2007, the usual misdiagnosis, than diagnosed as possible scabies, than the topical treatment with Derbac,(Malathion 0.5% as active ingredient) at weekly intervals in September 2007, it seems to knock it back a bit, but as soon as it is washed off the problem returned.
In spite of all this treatment the problem was growing bigger and was over my whole body to some extend, it seem to have some sort of order to it, like it was advancing to the next area and not appearing at random. Found the Ivermectin horse paste under my own research, in search for a small amount of Ivermectin and not having to buy a large amount of sheep drench. After the first dosing at 200 microgram per kg of body weight, I had crazy sensations that things where running over my face and eyelashes, I think that they where Demodex mites, that where killed of in the process. Any others that had this too?
Otherwise the Ivermectin was the silver bullet for my problem, searching the net I came across your forums and got some permetrin 5% cream for spot application of problem areas, topical miticides like that you just buy over the counter here and are cheap.
The problem returned again so I repeated the Ivermectin dose after 10 days, it returned again, than took Ivermectin at four day intervals made up sulfur cream, bathed in epsom salts, and in the beginning of this year I thought I was on top of the problem but still regularly treating myself but feeling fine apart from skin rashes at the ear lobes and throat area which I blamed on a possible fungal infection. Than serious health problems developed, heart palpitations, confusion, cough, insomnia, anxiety and tight feeling in the throat, with difficulty in swallowing, not all the time, but in sudden attacks and having good days and bad days. Those problems caused me to stop the treatment just in case this is Ivermectin related. I had no heart damage, saw some doctors about those problems, got several test done for hyperthyroidism, all negative, also liver and kidneys ok. Symptoms got worse and ended up at the emergency department, was told that I had no medical problems, got referred to a psychiatrist who told me that those mites only existed in my head and offered me anti psychotics to overcome the problem, which I refused.
So I was in a desperate state, had not slept for three days, could not eat anymore had severe diarrhea and was declared mad.
After emergency research on my problems I concluded that my symptoms could be caused by an immune system reaction to this organism X and causing anaphylaxis.
Went to an emergency doctor with this idea and she rejected it, those mites don’t exist.
Later that day I saw my own doctor who understood the problem and decided on an emergency measure to suppress my immune system for a short while with corticosteroids so I could recover, have some sleep and food. The response was impressive, live returned to an itchy normal again. Now as my immune system is returning to normal again I have periods of the previous mentioned symptoms returning from time to time, but not as severe as before, it seems to be worse at night, but now I know what it is caused by. I managed to convince the medical people that Ivermectin is not dangerous, this took some doing, so now I took a dose of Stromectol today and applied topical cream again and see what happens. I never noticed any bad side effects from using Ivermectin on myself before. Did any of you had severe allergic reactions with some or all of the mentioned symptoms to this organism? Did any of you found the proper human Ivermectin superior in performance in respect to horse worming paste?
Nam Erewhon

Auckland, New Zealand

#5985 Feb 1, 2008
Mite catching

My main objective has been to get rid of this pesky problem, so first I tried to get rid of it with any means I could think off. Since this has proven difficult I started on a more scientific approach trying to identify the critters that cause it. The methods I tried where transparent sticky tape and a microscope, also a lint roller and magnifying glass, now I have a digital microscope on order so I can store images and come back to it later.
So far I have not been able to find a single mite, this could be because I made them scarce trough treatment, has anyone else has any luck with this method?
I’m honestly not sure what I’m looking for, my problem and some of the other sufferers could be a different organism, but since it responds to Ivermectin it is likely to be an invertebrate.
I also developed an interest in things that float in the bath after having a bath, I suck interesting bits up with a turkey baste tool into a bowl, and than use a pipette to transfer them to a microscope slide, saw lots of interesting bits but no mites so far.
(no wonder that I’m declared mad!)
Also putting the total contends of the bath trough a filter and investigating the sludge have proved fruitless so far.
While it may look like that I have taken madness to a new level I think it is important to try to identify the organism that’s bothering us, and maybe some of my methods might create ideas for others.
zooks

Idaho Falls, ID

#5986 Feb 1, 2008
Sam - without you on this forum there would be a lot of lost people - loosing the battle - my little 2 cents doesnt compare to how dedicated you are to helping other sufferers.... and boy do we suffer :)

Chicago, Il

#5987 Feb 1, 2008
Sam wrote:
I can't take this, didn't mean to freak you out. MK posted a link that they do indeed lay eggs without a host, and the female only needs to be fertalized once to remain pregnant for the rest of her life. Do the laundry as soon as you can. I've made the mistake of just letting it sit in bags, and these things are not like lice, they don't just die out in bagged up infested articles.
Now that you mention it when I was getting reinfested by clean bagged clothes was before I started using borax. I think you'll be ok with the borax. I don't bag clean clothes anymore though, just to let any mites that survived the wash to dry out.
Thanks Sam- I try not to freak out, but when I hear something I am not doing or think I'm doing wrong I just picture the mites laughing at me. It's just that I live alone & have no pets, so I'm hoping that my battle will be short lived. It's been over a month already. I have let some bags sit- I kinda knew that was a bad idea so will wash everything I can this weekend. I just don't want to miss anything and this forum and kind helpful people like you are a Godsend!

Chicago, Il

#5988 Feb 1, 2008
Only fertilized once to remain pregnant the rest of her life??!! That is cult classic horror film type stuff right there. Geez!
zooks

Idaho Falls, ID

#5989 Feb 1, 2008
Nam
So how long have you had this? And where do you think you got it from?
Some things were interesting to me personally about your post. I did suffer from all your physical ailments at one point during our ordeal as well. The heart palpatations, confusion, anxiety, insomnia etc. Ivermectin still could be the cause, but these things are also signs and symptoms of parasite overload. Do you have new moles and freckles?
Ivermectin will be helping you, I took both the horsepaste and the stromectal - and from my personal experience I could not tell the difference. Sulfur was great too.

I have noticed that you have run into the same walls with doctors in New Zealand (I am originally from Timaru :) as here in the US. Thats really dissapointing - I guess western medicine is the same where ever its practised. Sorry that you went through that. Thats interesting that once your immune system was given a boost that your symtoms were better.

Sounds like you have tried really diligently to get a mite to scope. Many of us have been down that road as well - I took what turned out to be a piece of lint to a university bio lab, it has been impossible for us to find a mite, so in the end you just focus on what works to rid yourself of it. There are so many helpful great answers on this forum.

By the way what did/do your rashes look like?
Our burrows and bumps were always in dead straight lines - I still think that is odd for typical scabies.

anyway my family is doing much better, thanks to the information on this group.
p.s. Is Nam a moari name?
zooks

Idaho Falls, ID

#5990 Feb 1, 2008
Nam
I justed noticed that you already posted how long you have had this, thats a long time - lucky you are taking iver. now.

You also mentioned about the rash seeming like it had some type of order to it, and how it advanced.
Thats exactly how I felt. Mine started as two blister bumps on my ankle and gradually made its way all over my body, mostly arm and legs, back of neck. Much of the rash was dots in a line, but some appeared like crusted norweign scabies as well....
glad thats gone it was dreadful.
MomOfThree

Queensbury, NY

#5991 Feb 1, 2008
LICE B GONE works GREAT to get rid of scabies. My three children had scabies...my youngest had it the WORST, neck to toe! And the children are no longer itchy! Their skin is returning to NORMAL, with some traces of redness remaining, but GOING AWAY. I have also been documenting the progress of my youngest son's skin by photographing his skin every few days to show how well LICE B GONE works to get rid of scabies. I can't wait to finish the site so that anyone who is researching the effectiveness of Lice B Gone, they can find my site and clearly see IT WORKS. After going through this nightmare of scabies I feel if I can help one parent ease the suffering of their child(ren) through the knowledge I've gained as a result, then that's the least I can do..then my children will not have suffered in vain.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Medicine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Holiday Stress Relief, Meditation, and Eight Es... (Dec '12) 7 hr Vibra-Nation New 3
News Study brings grasp of autism gene a 'step closer' 7 hr Stephany McDowell 1
raspa (Apr '11) 9 hr pakipot 80
News Man Wants Hospital to Remove Surgical Clip (Jan '08) 10 hr Pauline 270
News Researchers link RHOX gene mutations to inferti... 13 hr Stephany McDowell 1
News California governor vetoes ban on public smokin... 13 hr jackbenn8 2
News Naked man interrupts UMD student's workout 13 hr The Salsa 1
More from around the web