Scabies Is Highly Contagious

Scabies Is Highly Contagious

There are 7322 comments on the Healthcentral.com story from Oct 15, 2005, titled Scabies Is Highly Contagious. In it, Healthcentral.com reports that:

Scabies , a skin condition caused by a burrowing mite, is very contagious and can be spread through families and classrooms, the Mayo Clinic explains.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Healthcentral.com.

maldkj

Madison, WI

#5623 Oct 1, 2007
I know this sounds kinda weird but I have found something that actually works...it's not even a product that's sold for humans but I am very pregnant, due this month, and my doctor has gone over all the ingrediants and says that it's safe...It works because it has tea tree oil and a bunch of other natural oils...it's actually a product made for horses called Finish Line sweat & salve
just make sure that if you use it get the container that says Fura-free...also make sure that you treat your home and pets so you don't reinfest
MKM

United States

#5624 Oct 1, 2007
maldkj wrote:
I know this sounds kinda weird but I have found something that actually works...it's not even a product that's sold for humans but I am very pregnant, due this month, and my doctor has gone over all the ingrediants and says that it's safe...It works because it has tea tree oil and a bunch of other natural oils...it's actually a product made for horses called Finish Line sweat & salve
just make sure that if you use it get the container that says Fura-free...also make sure that you treat your home and pets so you don't reinfest
Not weird at all. The product has good mite repellant oils and probably smells good too. I think I'll order some but I wouldn't count on it to cure a case of scabies. But, please let us know how you do with it.

And thanks for stressing the importance of treating pets and invirnment!

http://www.valleyvet.com/equine-wound-care/Fu...
Sam

Courtland, CA

#5625 Oct 1, 2007
2ScratchOrNot2Scratch wrote:
Sam,
Did your second stay away from home do any good?
Hey Scratch, yes it did. I wrote on another thread that I'm thinking of moving in there. My cousin knows about this but thinks he's immune anyway. At this point I'm pretty sure I'm all clear, completely paranoid about picking some up again though. Especially since I've thought I was clear for a month before and it crept back.

No crawling, some itchies, bumps that come and go, everything on my skin feels like a mite. I'm not celebrating yet, ok maybe a little ;)
HELP

AOL

#5626 Oct 1, 2007
one more time!! After applying perm. cream X 2, vacuuming, spraying, hot dryer, bagging clothes...I felt great for a couple of days!! Peace of mind~ This morning I woke up with 2 new tiny blisters are on my wrist and one on my thigh. Are they back?? Don't know if my skin is just sensitive using the perm cream and I did have non cotton fabric on today. Do the blisters still occur usually after the mites are dead? Derm said I would have itching for about 2 weeks; I don't really have that much itching. Just 2 new tiny blisters
HELP

AOL

#5627 Oct 2, 2007
Does anyone know if you still get blisters after the 2nd application of Perm.?? pls. advise?

Thanks, Help
ReyRay

Alexandria, VA

#5628 Oct 2, 2007
I got a few blisters after the 2nd application. I'm not sure if you had a crawling feeling or not.

After my 2nd application I got a few more "blisters" but the crawling seemed to almost stop.

After my 3rd treatment I stopped getting new blisters.

I am still paranoid but knowing they are slowing down is promising.

My wifes bites seemed to have gotten a lot worse since the 3rd treatment.

She was afraid to leave the Perm on for more than 12 hours. Now she leaves it on as long as she can.

One thing I did notice is that after a treatment I would notice brown spots on my skin where I didn't know I had bugs underneith as if they had never bothered me in that spot and treatment made the bugs below die.

At first I thought it was a burn or something so one morning before work I put some lotion on what I thought was burn on my face and the skin was really dry and about 50 -100 black specs came out of the area and mixed in with the cream.

I think this is a process.

You are hopefully getting better.

Also, leave the Perm on for as long as you can.

At first I did 16 hours then I would wait until Friday after work take the kids out to eat. To get them out of the house for a while and then we would all go home and bath and leave the Perm on most of the weekend.

I bathed my kids Saturday after 24 hours in fear of hurting them with the Perm.

Once I increased the time we left it on the frequency of new bites really slowed down.

Are you waking up with new bites? I have all of our mattresses encased in those plastic covers and I spray them down with listerine in spray bottle. I spray the mattresses when I take up the sheets, when I get home from work, and before bed right before putting on the new sheets.

If I am woken up with new bites or crawling. I spray myself, pillow and sheets with Arrid Extra dry.

That stops those mo-fos from biting real quick.

The Arrid has been my saving grace. I would have lost my job by now from lack of sleep. Get the one with 24.7% Aluminum Chloride (spelled something like that) not the two that are packaged together. They only have like 18.something% Aluminum Chloride and didn't seem as affective.

The listerine with make the biting stop also if I am out of Arrid but then you have to lay down in a wet bed because in the middle of the night you have to spray it on a bed that is made. The listering seems to evaperate pretty quickly and it seems to be a faster fix than changing the sheets in the middle of the night.

Help---hang in there and don't stop treating your environment. I was doing the listerine in a spray bottle all over the house mixed with water but now I just do it straight and it seems to keep them off the chairs, sofas, rugs and carpets.

Don't let them get in your head just make your game plan and stick to it.
Alhatesitchin

Oak Harbor, WA

#5629 Oct 2, 2007
HELP wrote:
Does anyone know if you still get blisters after the 2nd application of Perm.?? pls. advise?
Thanks, Help
yes permethrin can cause blisters(some people get blisters and some don't)
Mary

Hollywood, FL

#5630 Oct 2, 2007
Sam wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Scratch, yes it did. I wrote on another thread that I'm thinking of moving in there. My cousin knows about this but thinks he's immune anyway. At this point I'm pretty sure I'm all clear, completely paranoid about picking some up again though. Especially since I've thought I was clear for a month before and it crept back.
No crawling, some itchies, bumps that come and go, everything on my skin feels like a mite. I'm not celebrating yet, ok maybe a little ;)
That IS great news, Sam. Of all the people on this forum, I have to say you have been the very best in helping everyone. I wish you all the best, Sam.
ReyRay

Alexandria, VA

#5631 Oct 3, 2007
I want to buy the Iver from MagicPharm but I'm nervous about buying fake meds.

Has everyone who has bought from them had good experiences?

Thanks in advance.
HELP

AOL

#5632 Oct 3, 2007
will the Rid spray found in the "lice" section kill mites in bed, etc. in the house? Does any of this work? Can they prescribe a "spray" that treats these horrible creatures??
Mary

Hollywood, FL

#5633 Oct 4, 2007
ReyRay wrote:
I want to buy the Iver from MagicPharm but I'm nervous about buying fake meds.
Has everyone who has bought from them had good experiences?
Thanks in advance.
magic pharma is good. takes a long time to get meds.
Mary

Hollywood, FL

#5634 Oct 4, 2007
HELP wrote:
will the Rid spray found in the "lice" section kill mites in bed, etc. in the house? Does any of this work? Can they prescribe a "spray" that treats these horrible creatures??
plenty of sprays you can use. I use bleach/water, spray the vinyl mattress and wipe clean. Can use 91% alcohol. Can buy some permethrin from a feed store and mix with water and spray environment. can buy home defense from home depot. one poster sprays listerine on plastic cover on bed. I spray Bifen from doyourownpestcontrol.com
Kathy

United States

#5635 Oct 5, 2007
I bought a little pot bellied pig, Clementine, brought her home, bathed her. I started itching a few days later and my kids. I called the vet and he said it was scabies to call my Dr. I called and told him what the vet said and my symptoms, he called in Lindane lotion. It worked. No more itching, and I got rid of Clementine.
Bill

United States

#5636 Oct 6, 2007
Here is a link on the environment being covered
this is one smelly approach, I wonder if MSN could be used instead...? for the environment ?
Never know, I would not think MSN works on the skin but it does

Here is an excerpt:........
from http://birdmites.org/forum.html

LIME SULFUR OIL REALLY HELPS
After dealing with Bird Mites for about 3 years, here are some beneficial tips: Mites are not insects therefore most insecticides and insect sprays wont work. You must look for products specially formulated for mites called Miticides. A good place to start would be your local plant nursery or garden store. They carry several products to kill mites. From personal experiences I cannot stress enough how good SULFUR works!! I bought Lime Sulfur Oil from the Bonide Company. Dilute it with some water or baby oil and spray everywhere in the house and on your skin too! Powder sulfur, lime sulfur oil, sulfur dust, all work great. You can use lime sulfur on your skin as well. It will kill all mites, larvae, bacteria and acne too!! Bath in sulfur oil daily. Be careful not to get sulfur powder in lungs or eyes. Mix with water to create a paste or oil. I highly recommend purchasing sulfur from Amazon.com ; itís cheaper and ships fast too, or you can ask your local gardening store or nursery to order you some if they are out of stock.

Borax also works. Wash clothing in high heat with Borax, steam iron clothes, linens, upholstery etc anything clothe. These mites infect clothing very fast for some reason and love cotton but not satin. Wear satin clothing to sleep in at nightÖthat helps. Put vinyl protectors on mattresses, pillows etc. Dry clean items that cannot be washed, vacuum thoroughly. Basically, the usual drill. Remove all body hair...these mites like to crawl on hair. Therefore, I recommend removing all hair from your body. Purchase a steam iron for clothing. I have tried Arrid extra dry but am not sure if it kills the mites or is just an antihistamine? Anyway, if you have hardwood floors mop sulfur oil into them. Dust sulfur powder on carpets. Do whatever it takes. Donít let them breed because they reproduce fast. Remove pets. Dip them in Lime Sulfur. Remove birds nests etc. After battling with these mites for years I have used products in the past like Borax, Boric Acid, Pine Sol, vinegar, Diatomaceous Earth, Sevin Dust, Malathion, fumigation, fogging, Permethrin, Pyrethrin, etc, etc. You name it, Iíve used it. Good Luck to all of you battling this unknown bird mite. Itís crazy how in todayís modern economy with all these pesticides nobody knows what these critters are. Anyway, I hope all this helps! TC.

http://birdmites.org/forum.html

God bless you , Bill
Seek and you shall find
MKM

United States

#5637 Oct 6, 2007
Bill wrote:
Here is a link on the environment being covered
this is one smelly approach, I wonder if MSN could be used instead...? for the environment ?
Never know, I would not think MSN works on the skin but it does
Here is an excerpt:........
from http://birdmites.org/forum.html
LIME SULFUR OIL REALLY HELPS
After dealing with Bird Mites for about 3 years, here are some beneficial tips: Mites are not insects therefore most insecticides and insect sprays wont work. You must look for products specially formulated for mites called Miticides. A good place to start would be your local plant nursery or garden store. They carry several products to kill mites. From personal experiences I cannot stress enough how good SULFUR works!! I bought Lime Sulfur Oil from the Bonide Company. Dilute it with some water or baby oil and spray everywhere in the house and on your skin too! Powder sulfur, lime sulfur oil, sulfur dust, all work great. You can use lime sulfur on your skin as well. It will kill all mites, larvae, bacteria and acne too!! Bath in sulfur oil daily. Be careful not to get sulfur powder in lungs or eyes. Mix with water to create a paste or oil. I highly recommend purchasing sulfur from Amazon.com ; itís cheaper and ships fast too, or you can ask your local gardening store or nursery to order you some if they are out of stock.
Borax also works. Wash clothing in high heat with Borax, steam iron clothes, linens, upholstery etc anything clothe. These mites infect clothing very fast for some reason and love cotton but not satin. Wear satin clothing to sleep in at nightÖthat helps. Put vinyl protectors on mattresses, pillows etc. Dry clean items that cannot be washed, vacuum thoroughly. Basically, the usual drill. Remove all body hair...these mites like to crawl on hair. Therefore, I recommend removing all hair from your body. Purchase a steam iron for clothing. I have tried Arrid extra dry but am not sure if it kills the mites or is just an antihistamine? Anyway, if you have hardwood floors mop sulfur oil into them. Dust sulfur powder on carpets. Do whatever it takes. Donít let them breed because they reproduce fast. Remove pets. Dip them in Lime Sulfur. Remove birds nests etc. After battling with these mites for years I have used products in the past like Borax, Boric Acid, Pine Sol, vinegar, Diatomaceous Earth, Sevin Dust, Malathion, fumigation, fogging, Permethrin, Pyrethrin, etc, etc. You name it, Iíve used it. Good Luck to all of you battling this unknown bird mite. Itís crazy how in todayís modern economy with all these pesticides nobody knows what these critters are. Anyway, I hope all this helps! TC.
Bill,

Kathy said sarcoptic mites, not bird mites. Why the bird is scratching should be determined by a veterinarian.

ohno

Winter Springs, FL

#5638 Oct 6, 2007
Hello again, I'm writing this message to help some of you who are going through the same thing I've been going through the past 2 month. I started getting the rash and crazy itch about 2 month ago. Went to my family doctor who told me I had scabies and I creamed myself with permethrin. It did not get better so I called the doctor and he told me to go to a dermatologist. She said the same thing and prescribed permethrin. Used it didn't help so I went back she looked at me again and said it's 100% scabies so I used the permethrin again. I didn't feel any better and I was very frustrated!!! Then I figured it all out....
ohno

Winter Springs, FL

#5639 Oct 6, 2007
I contacted a doctor in Germany who asked me if I have any metal in my mouth, like fillings, braces etc. I do. He said nickel or chromium allergy when severe can cause rash all over the body and can look exactly the same! I was very surprised because I've had the braces for 8 month without any problems. Anyway in the meantime my symptoms were getting worse so I decided to try to cover my braces with orthodontic wax for 5 days so the nickel could not get into my body through my saliva. Wonderful relief it was. After 5 days I decided not to put more wax on and in 24 hrs my symptoms were completely back. Yesterday I put the wax on again (I feel much better)and I'm waiting for my appointment to get the braces off.
I wanted to write down all this, because I feel sorry for everyone who has to go through month of itching and scratching I know how awful it is. Of course for many people it is scabies but for some it is something else...
Sam

Courtland, CA

#5640 Oct 6, 2007
Mary wrote:
<quoted text>
That IS great news, Sam. Of all the people on this forum, I have to say you have been the very best in helping everyone. I wish you all the best, Sam.
Thanks Mary, right back at ya ;) I posted on Progress's forum that after waiting for 2 weeks, and getting better, I now have some new burrows. I'm trying to figure out where they came from. At least I'm not super infested anymore.

It sounds like you're doing a lot better too?
Mary

Hollywood, FL

#5641 Oct 7, 2007
Sam wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks Mary, right back at ya ;) I posted on Progress's forum that after waiting for 2 weeks, and getting better, I now have some new burrows. I'm trying to figure out where they came from. At least I'm not super infested anymore.
It sounds like you're doing a lot better too?
Sam, maybe you didn't stay gone long enough from your home. I still say that there are different types of mites out there and maybe ours live longer in the environment, than the human scabies. Or maybe you are getting reinfected from your work. Iím so sorry you are still infected. You will beat this, soon!! I think mine are living longer because of the humidity in the a/c ducts here. When I was up in the attic, I felt one of the ducts where it goes into a room around the edges, and it was wet. I'm going to start turning the heater on and see if that helps dry them out. I did buy a co2 tank and I have placed my lap top in giant air-tight bags, and gas the mites. It helps with keeping the mites out of electronics, like keyboards, computer mouse, telephones, remote controls, cell phones. I take the bag outside to get the gas out of the bag, before I take the laptop out of the bag, as co2 is deadly to breath. My laptop was heavily infested. And I had to gas it 5 times before the mites were completely out of it. Vacuuming did not do the trick.

Since: Mar 07

AOL

#5642 Oct 7, 2007
ohno wrote:
I contacted a doctor in Germany who asked me if I have any metal in my mouth, like fillings, braces etc. I do. He said nickel or chromium allergy when severe can cause rash all over the body and can look exactly the same! I was very surprised because I've had the braces for 8 month without any problems. Anyway in the meantime my symptoms were getting worse so I decided to try to cover my braces with orthodontic wax for 5 days so the nickel could not get into my body through my saliva. Wonderful relief it was. After 5 days I decided not to put more wax on and in 24 hrs my symptoms were completely back. Yesterday I put the wax on again (I feel much better)and I'm waiting for my appointment to get the braces off.
I wanted to write down all this, because I feel sorry for everyone who has to go through month of itching and scratching I know how awful it is. Of course for many people it is scabies but for some it is something else...
ohno,
Thanks for posting your story.Your point is well taken.There are alot things out there that cause rashes. I wish I had braces but I don't. However, I am thrilled you are on the road to recovery. MIS

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Medicine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Wanted Nashville suspect surrenders 5 hr telefar 1
News There's a new doc in town (Sep '14) 9 hr Homer 4
News Questions to ask your dentist about preventativ... (Aug '15) 15 hr liza_0801 11
News Being skinny linked to depression in both men a... 22 hr Humanspirit 3
News The War Between Neuroscience and Psychiatry 23 hr Humanspirit 2
News This mother is looking for the lost necklace th... Thu Phyllis Schlafly ... 2
News Flu vaccine ineffective for people 65 and older... Thu VACCINES MAIM KILL 1
Vagus Nerve Disorder Causes Symptoms Treatments (Feb '12) Jun 21 Jane 196
More from around the web