Scabies Is Highly Contagious

Scabies Is Highly Contagious

There are 7319 comments on the Healthcentral.com story from Oct 15, 2005, titled Scabies Is Highly Contagious. In it, Healthcentral.com reports that:

Scabies , a skin condition caused by a burrowing mite, is very contagious and can be spread through families and classrooms, the Mayo Clinic explains.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Healthcentral.com.

Sam

United States

#3793 Apr 14, 2007
FED UP wrote:
<quoted text>
OK Sam tell me if I have this right please.
For myself and my husband we could take 3 6mg pills. My son would take either 3 or 4 6mg pills.
Yes 18 mg for you and hubby is good. I don't know about giving the boy 24 mg - anyone else have ideas on this?

It arrived in 2 weeks for me. Hopefully with your husbands recent diagnosis, you can all get a Rx for the permethrin to use with the iver.
FED UP

AOL

#3794 Apr 14, 2007
Thank you Sam!!!
FED UP

AOL

#3795 Apr 14, 2007
Sam wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes 18 mg for you and hubby is good. I don't know about giving the boy 24 mg - anyone else have ideas on this?
It arrived in 2 weeks for me. Hopefully with your husbands recent diagnosis, you can all get a Rx for the permethrin to use with the iver.
Is the Scabisan the same as the other Prescription permetherin?

Since: Mar 07

United States

#3796 Apr 14, 2007
Oh my God, I think I saw one! I ordered the 30x Lumagny microscope online and received it today.
I am 95% sure I have seen a dead mite on my Scabisan application sponge...GROSS!
In response to another question I can't give an expiration date on the Ivexterm I had because I had only enough for 1 dose and took it all.
I am trying to get more from NogalesRX and will keep you posted.
Nogales is a small border town and relatively unsophisticated compared to some others so it might take some extra effort to get this supply moving.
I will be going to this particular pharmacy tomorrow am and will check out other pharmacies as possible sources for ivermectin tabs and permethrin topicals.
Yes, as far as I can tell Scabisan Plus is the same as other rx permethrin treatments.
I used Nix before and it was just the same as Scabisan Plus cream, only 3x more expensive.

United States

#3797 Apr 14, 2007
Thank you everyone for your advice & suggestions - I am willing to try anything and everything!
"I have seen the face of the enemy, and he is mine"
(Or something like that...)
Been There

United States

#3798 Apr 14, 2007
Hi Bitten,

I'm very impressed with the war you've waged on mites. You are doing what it takes and it's not easy. How are your baby and cat doing?

BT
Sam

United States

#3799 Apr 14, 2007
FED UP wrote:
<quoted text>
Is the Scabisan the same as the other Prescription permetherin?
Both are 5% permethrin. I much prefer the Acticin or Elimite over the Scabisan. As I posted before the Scabisan cream and lotion feel much different to me. Bitten said she doesn't get the same reaction as I do, but with the Scabisan and Scabisan Plus (not sure what the Plus means) my whole body feels tight and tingly and buzzy, and icky for 2 days, even after I wash it off.

My tube of cream says Scabisan, and the lotion says Scabisan Plus. The lotion is really easy to apply to your scalp though.
Sam

United States

#3800 Apr 14, 2007
Ohio itches wrote:
Sam and Been There, thank you so much for your responses. I will be ordering as soon as I can. Our lives are completely consumed by this. As is everyone's it seems.
I have another question. Yesterday we bombed with the Raid Fumigator. I know this will not solve the problem but I want to take every step I can even if it only helps a little. Last night though, the crawly feelings in bed were the worst they have been. No new bites but lots of crawlies. This, despite washed and bleached sheets immediately before bed. Did the bombing perhaps stir them up instead of killing a few? Any opinions welcome.
Thanks again.
Michaelene
Ohio, I hate the crawlies in bed - that is the worst. Do you have the vinyl covers for your bed?

Thanks for posting your bombing results. I did have a similar experience once when I bombed the dining room - didn't vacuum before bed because I thought I didn't need to, it was fine the night before, and had mega crawlies in the bed. Also with Raid Fumigator. After that I made sure to vacuum really good after I bombed. Hope you can get past the bed crawlie part and get some much needed sleep to finish your war.

United States

#3801 Apr 15, 2007
Been There wrote:
Hi Bitten,
I'm very impressed with the war you've waged on mites. You are doing what it takes and it's not easy. How are your baby and cat doing?
BT
BT, you give me more credit than is due - I have a cat but no baby, and my anti-mite prayers go out to everyone on this forum that is dealing with family and babies.
It is all I can do to care of my own self!
krissy

Beverly Hills, FL

#3802 Apr 15, 2007
I haven't been writing in but I have been keeping up with the posts. I can officially say without a doubt that cat scabies can reproduce on human beings with a compromised immune system and/or human scabies can reproduce on a kitten. I rescued a kitten with a bad case of mange in January and unfortunatley carried some mites home and infected my 3 cat household and myself. The kitten was young, about 6 weeks and covered in crusts on its elbows. I am pregnant and will catch a cold if someone just mentions a cold. After many debuggings on my cats, my self and my house, my cats appear to be symtom free. They are seperated in one room and are going on their second month of double dosing on revolution. The shots didn't last long enough and I couldn't get the vet to dose more than every 2 weeks. Despite my cats clearing up and being quarantined for almost 2 months I continue to get reinfected. I vacuum and change bedding 3 times weekly, bomb bi- weekly, never wear the same thing twice, wash wisth borax and sprinkle it on the carpets and spray my bed with flea carpet and room spray when i change the bedding. I was using the 5% cream each time I get reinfested but it seems it happens before a week has passed. I also spray my car every night. Bought a vinyl mattress pad today. These critters must be laying eggs on me and obviouly were on the kitten. I hope I don't give this back to my cats! Vets and doctors think i'm crazy. They are wrong.

United States

#3803 Apr 15, 2007
FYI - I guess Scabisan used to be made with Lindane(?) The "Plus" in Scabisan Plus indicates that the product contains 5% permethrin instead of lindane - to the best of my knowledge.
scabies_suck

Mount Waverley, Australia

#3804 Apr 15, 2007
hey guys, i thought i was the only one out there who actually couldnt get rid of these damn things! I think i have been to the doctors over 5 times. the first two times i was told by the doctor that it was a skin infection or something and prescribed anti-biotics. Also the doctor told me it couldnt be scabies because "there was northing between my fingers" little did she know. I was on holiday in milan and it got so bad that i saw a dermatoligist and as seen as he seen the infection on my private parts it was diagnosed as scabies. i was devastated as i felt there was such a stigma, and the name "scabies" at first just sounds so repulsive. Creams dont work, i have also had strmechtol that relived some syptoms though did not cure the problem, with the stremectol the doctor didnt even know what it was or the pharmict i just found out about it from the internet. My heart goes out to all you guys and girls. i know what its like to live with such a condition! There is hope! sorry this post is so long i just needed to convey what im feeling. I have booked in to see a dermatoligist again, and i have an appoitment with a doctor tommorow, If anything comes out of these ill be sure to post and remedies. All the best with ridding the itch...

United States

#3805 Apr 15, 2007
Smarterthanamite wrote:
Hi all. Will this post? I keep trying. Also trying to get rid of mites.
Waiting for abc Iver. While waitng tried my cats Advantage a little on the crown and nape. It helped, a large group evacuated from my scalp.
Has anyone noticied the sunshine helps. I always have a few casualties when i'm in the sunshine.
Funny isn't it the www.nogales pharmacy site. Gale is the french word for scabies. I'm glad you have all been here for me.. hope this posts.
SmarterThanA, How can you tell when you have a casualty? Do they stand up clutching their chest then keel over waving a RIP flag?:) Seriously, how can you tell? Also, do yours have a bandana tied around one leg? Mine do...
scabies_suck

Mount Waverley, Australia

#3806 Apr 15, 2007
just reading all of these comments and im itchier than ever! just found out strehmtol is Inverctim, the doctor told me it was a single dose, but first thing ill be doing tommorow is getting some of it cause it did help. the scabies i have travel all over my body and have been everywhere except my hands and face. anyway im off to bed ive stressed myself out enough, but im so glad that i have found this wesbite!
freaking out

Norfolk, VA

#3807 Apr 15, 2007
I am trying to follow every ones comments and what they do to treat scabies. But every1 is different! its so hard to find out whats best to use ..or do..whatever. i guess i am just going to go to the doc and get more "P" cream. and continue to wash/spray lysol/vacuum everyday. thats just all it seems i can do. i dont understand the "I" cream. i am confused with it. i almost passed out in the shower yesterday because i had the water extremely too hot..and scrubbing my body...i had to lay down. you said to take really hot showers, it kills some right? I dont itch as much as i did, i still itch and i KNOW i still have the mites. my family begs to differ. but i try to tell them its not easy to get rid of. i have only done 2 treatments of the "P" cream..last tues and wed..for 11 hours each. my bruises r slowly going away which is good. SOOOO to my understanding....the "P" cream doesnt kill the eggs...so i just have to keep doing what i am doing and putting the "P" cream on me til all the eggs r hatched and all the mites are dead? correct? just seems like all i can do....correct me if im wrong. please.:)
freaking out

Norfolk, VA

#3808 Apr 15, 2007
and this is still the same "freaking out" i am just on a different computer..i dont know why it says a different location :)
Been There

United States

#3809 Apr 15, 2007
Bitten wrote:
<quoted text>
BT, you give me more credit than is due - I have a cat but no baby, and my anti-mite prayers go out to everyone on this forum that is dealing with family and babies.
It is all I can do to care of my own self!
Ok, no credit for a baby, but I think you and anyone else who reads, thinks, takes action and helps other posters deserves praise. Only those who have been through this understand it.

Would any of us wear tee shirts that say "Anti-Mite" or "I Survived Scabies" or as Slomo thought up "I love Ivermectin".? Don't think so. This is a silent war and victory.

how is your cat doing?
Been There

United States

#3810 Apr 15, 2007
krissy wrote:
I haven't been writing in but I have been keeping up with the posts. I can officially say without a doubt that cat scabies can reproduce on human beings with a compromised immune system and/or human scabies can reproduce on a kitten. I rescued a kitten with a bad case of mange in January and unfortunatley carried some mites home and infected my 3 cat household and myself. The kitten was young, about 6 weeks and covered in crusts on its elbows. I am pregnant and will catch a cold if someone just mentions a cold. After many debuggings on my cats, my self and my house, my cats appear to be symtom free. They are seperated in one room and are going on their second month of double dosing on revolution. The shots didn't last long enough and I couldn't get the vet to dose more than every 2 weeks. Despite my cats clearing up and being quarantined for almost 2 months I continue to get reinfected. I vacuum and change bedding 3 times weekly, bomb bi- weekly, never wear the same thing twice, wash wisth borax and sprinkle it on the carpets and spray my bed with flea carpet and room spray when i change the bedding. I was using the 5% cream each time I get reinfested but it seems it happens before a week has passed. I also spray my car every night. Bought a vinyl mattress pad today. These critters must be laying eggs on me and obviouly were on the kitten. I hope I don't give this back to my cats! Vets and doctors think i'm crazy. They are wrong.
Krissy,

My vet was like yours at first, conservative. After months went by and no cure, his advice was to get super aggressive with the treatments.

Both the vets I went to think I'm smarter than average and were willing to work with me.

I never had any success with MD's. They think I'm nuts too.

You have your cats on a good treatment schedule. Revolution 2X a month. That should be just right for them.

Sprays:

Frontline Spray, it kills mites.

Bio Spot Flea spray mixed with Martin's Permethrin 10% use as environment spray.
PERMETHRIN IS TOXIC TO CATS.

100% BB made up as a spray using alcohol or witch hazel.Use in the wash too. BB has to used with caution around cats.

YOUR treatments need to be more aggressive.

Order enough Ivermectin to see you through about 6 treatments every 7 days. I say 6 treatments because sometimes there are a few stragglers that just hang on, especially when pets are involved, or not.

Use a topical for full body treatments and spot treatments while on Ivermectin to kill young mites, Permethrin 5% or BB are both good choices. Everything you need can be ordered online.

all bedding, yours and cats should be changed daily. wear gloves when you handle the cats or their bedding.

The Disclaimer: Not ment as medical or professional advice, seek the advice of a trained medical professional
Been There

United States

#3811 Apr 15, 2007
scabies_suck wrote:
just reading all of these comments and im itchier than ever! just found out strehmtol is Inverctim, the doctor told me it was a single dose, but first thing ill be doing tommorow is getting some of it cause it did help. the scabies i have travel all over my body and have been everywhere except my hands and face. anyway im off to bed ive stressed myself out enough, but im so glad that i have found this wesbite!
Ivermectin(Stromectol) kills adult sarcoptic mites and some stages of young mites. A topical kills adults and younger mites. Nothing kills the eggs.

A single dose of Ivermectin is not enough because of the mite's life cycle. Your going to need loads of Stromectol and topical to kill these suckers. Along with constant washing and cleaning.

If you can get your MD to give you an Rx for at least 4 doses of Ivermectin and topical, good on ya.
Been There

United States

#3812 Apr 15, 2007
freaking out wrote:
I am trying to follow every ones comments and what they do to treat scabies. But every1 is different! its so hard to find out whats best to use ..or do..whatever. i guess i am just going to go to the doc and get more "P" cream. and continue to wash/spray lysol/vacuum everyday. thats just all it seems i can do. i dont understand the "I" cream. i am confused with it. i almost passed out in the shower yesterday because i had the water extremely too hot..and scrubbing my body...i had to lay down. you said to take really hot showers, it kills some right? I dont itch as much as i did, i still itch and i KNOW i still have the mites. my family begs to differ. but i try to tell them its not easy to get rid of. i have only done 2 treatments of the "P" cream..last tues and wed..for 11 hours each. my bruises r slowly going away which is good. SOOOO to my understanding....the "P" cream doesnt kill the eggs...so i just have to keep doing what i am doing and putting the "P" cream on me til all the eggs r hatched and all the mites are dead? correct? just seems like all i can do....correct me if im wrong. please.:)
yes, you have to wait until the eggs hatch to kill them, unfortunatly.

NOTHING KILLS THE EGGS! Permethrin 5% is a topical. There is no "I" cream. Ivermectin is a systemic treatment given orally by tablet.

If someone said hot shower they don't mean burning hot. I know having scabies is stressfull but you've got to use your common sense.

It's not as complicated as you think.

Keep your body and environment sweeky clean.

Use systemic Ivermectin and a topical every 7 days for about a month. plus spot treat with your topical.

if this doesn't work, do it again. and look for possible sources of reinfestation. Maybe someone you know is giving it back to you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Medicine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pregnancy Symptoms - 12 Very Early Symptoms of ... (Jun '07) 5 min DeeDee 6,883
News The 'generic' version of this popular drug coul... 2 hr Tobby 1
Vagus Nerve Disorder Causes Symptoms Treatments (Feb '12) 3 hr MMG 143
News A physician's response to Islamophobia 6 hr Old Pom 5
News Whistle-blowing nurse wants action on Nunavut n... (Mar '15) 14 hr anonymous 67
News What does a low blood platelet count mean? (Jun '07) 15 hr Liz Liz 890
News 6 weird, wacky facts about hearing 23 hr Prosperity Fundie... 18
More from around the web