Staff cuts coming to Bridgeport Hospital

Staff cuts coming to Bridgeport Hospital

There are 126 comments on the Connecticut Post story from Jun 3, 2009, titled Staff cuts coming to Bridgeport Hospital. In it, Connecticut Post reports that:

Proving that the recession strikes even the largest, oldest and necessary businesses, Bridgeport Hospital joined Greenwich Hospital by announcing Wednesday that it would begin layoffs in July to cut some of its financial losses.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Connecticut Post.

LET HIM GO

Stratford, CT

#90 Jun 6, 2009
We, as a community need to take back our hospital get mr. TREFRY, and HOPE REGEAN whatever her name out of here take what belong to fairfield county that`s Bridgeport hospital, forget boutwhat he make let just gat aralley going started moving moneytaken bank break CEO& COO OUT OF HERE NOW.
gruntled employee

Bridgeport, CT

#91 Jun 6, 2009
The bottom line is we are MANAGEMENT TOP HEAVY !!!!
duh

Borden, IN

#92 Jun 6, 2009
Get Real wrote:
<quoted text>
They are? I wonder if my neighbor's wife knows, She got laid off from there about 3 months ago. They should bring back the ones they laid off before hiring new people, thats not right.
Not necessarily. Depends on what jobs were cut and what jobs are now open. May not be the same.
tlc

Borden, IN

#93 Jun 6, 2009
I want to know wrote:
St. Vincents got rid of all their LPN's last year from what I'm told by one who used to work there.
Prolly because they only want RN's like so many other hospitals.
Bad4Us_It happens_in_3s

Bound Brook, NJ

#94 Jun 6, 2009
I believe that we should be able to vote on New Leadership. Hospital employees only. Get Carpetia the hell out of our way. And don't give me that Sh*T about "Time Management". Spending money on a "Consultant" Group that are wearing our hospital Attire. We are ADULTS and we damn sure do not need Babysitters. Trefry, ARe YOU KIDDIN' ME???!!!! TAKE A PAYCUT....and or sell a couple of your "toys". U could also sell the condo in Florida or watever. If you're gonna act like this, then don't dare look at your employees and smile as if everything is ay OK. THIS IS COMPLETE AND UTTER BULLSH*T. We bust our asses for the hospital and we do it for "peanuts". WHy? BeCause Takin' Care of People and Customer Service is what we do. WE'RE DOIN OUR JOBS!!!! Trefry, YOU'RE the Hospital's "Leader" Which means= It's time for you to start doing YOURS!!!!
Ellen

AOL

#98 Jun 6, 2009
789_Sean wrote:
agree too, but its 2,000,000 insane isn't. What does he really do.
I also agree about more Directors than necessary. There is one guy they made a position for. And he has no clinical background. That just made me sick.
There is no reason to have Directors and managers. Hire good managers and you won't need the Administrators. They need to be more selective in hiring good management. They promoted somebody who knows absolutely nothing about ER.
employee

Milton, MA

#99 Jun 7, 2009
when you think of all the stuff has happened there are dept that have tried to do more for things then others. evs is hard working but there is others who slack and do nothing to help the cause. miles randel is a had working supervisor who has a lot of people who worked hard for him and he helped give back. he watches to improve patients and employee satisfaction. he one time had a flood on the first floor and him and one person from evs was there the whole time and the employee who was there waited there for a long time cleaning and making things better even when miles told him to take lunch and when it broke lose again and the employee was still there before miles even called and ASKED HIM AGAIN to meet him there but at least miles works and walks his butt off. Dora has never gotten out of her chair most of the time im there and this is where these people come from this type of lazy manager get rid of the slack and make these employee that work stay. p.s that garbage issues is the one thing that makes this crap too.
TirednFrustrated EMP

Levittown, NY

#100 Jun 8, 2009
BOB wrote:
I AM AN EMPLOYEE OF THE BPT EMERGENCY DEPT,CURRENTLY, AND SEE ALL THE CRAP TAKING PLACE THE HOSPTIAL DOES NOT CARE ABOUT EMPLOYEES, THE CORPORATE GREED THAT MR. TREYFRY TAKING HOME 1.8 MILLION A YEAR, WE WORK OUR ASSES OFF AND GET NO INSENTIVE FOR DOING A GOOD JOB, ITS NOT OUR FAULT THAT THE HOSPITAL IS $15,000.000.00 DOLLARD IN DEBT., TELL ME WHY DID THEY HAVE ALL THESE PARTYS KNOWING THAT EVERYONE IS GOING TO BE SCREWED. ILL TELL YOU WHO IS GOING ,ALL THE GOOD EMPLOYEES WHO ALWAYS WORK THERE BUTTS OFF. YOU CAN BE THE BEST EMPLOYEE THERE AND HAVE THE CLEANEST RECORD, AND SHOW UP FOR WORK ON TIME, DO WHAT YOUR TOLD , NEVER LATE,EVEN WHEN YOU HAVE TO WIPE SOMEONES ****,LET THE BIG SHOTS GO AND LET THE EMPLOYEES TAKE OVER THE HOSPTIAL. ITS TOO BAD THAT WE ARE NOT A UNION HOSPITAL. THE BOTTOM LINE
YOUR FIRED, THANKS FOR WORKING HERE , NOW IM WITH OUT INSURANCE , NOW I HAVE TO START ALL OVER AGAIN. THANK YOU MR. TRYFRY, AND BPT HOSP FOR DESTROYING MY FUTURE SIGNED DISCUSTED EMERGENCY DEPT EMPLOYEE
I want to say I'm Sorry for you losing your job and it looks like I will be in the boat right next to you. I wanted to comment on all the digusting comments about the different situations that people are going through, but you really wouldn't know unless you are in their shoes or worked there. I am a hard working employee who has been there for many yrs. We were told a couple of months ago that Mr.Trefry would be taking a pay cut but this is not helping any of the hard working employees that do NOT receive a quarter of what he makes. What will happen to OUR families? What will become of the JOB that we work so hard to keep? WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO THE PATIENTS THAT WE WORK SO HARD TO KEEP HAPPY WHEN THEY ARE SO SICK??? YES there are many BIGG WIGS!!! Where are their pay CUTS!!!The gift shop is being renovated, a NEW EMS Dept(upgraded), a new waiting room in the registraion on 1st fl., changing units to make NEW upgrades, WHY CUT STAFF? ALL THESE NEW UPGRADES...WHERE IS THE MONEY COMING FROM??? ARE THE BIGG WIGS LOSING OUT ON ANYTHING?? Or are they having all these PRIVATE Dinners on OUR Paycheck that WE should be receiving(already no O.T, no RAISES)?? I'm SURE (THE BIGG WIGS) don't go home worrying if their LIGHTS will be cut soon OR if they'll have enough to BUY food for their FAMILIES after a little paycheck!!! WE ALL WORK VERY HARD TO KEEP (PATIENT SATISFACTORY SCORES UP!!). Now where are WE all headed with the JOB CRISIS as it is TODAY?
May GOD help us all to do the BEST we can in these trying times.......
Tired & Frustrated Bridgeport Hospital Employee
Come on

New York, NY

#101 Jun 8, 2009
I feel bad for people getting laid off. I wonder how they have the heart to kick people to the curb and still the big wigs collect huge salaries. What's going to happen to patient care without the real workers who keep these hospitals running?
just me

Dover, NJ

#102 Jun 9, 2009
789_Sean wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree too, but its 2,000,000 insane isn't. What does he really do.
NOTHING!

Probably enjoying to see people loosing their job and him sucking all the juice! What goes aroung comes around!
Sue

Bridgeport, CT

#103 Jun 9, 2009
There are many different reasons listed here on this blog about the layoffs...now I do not claim to be an expert on why once again Bridgeport Hospital will layoff workers. However, I would like to add my two sense!!!
Let's go back a couple of decades (yes I am a former employee with over 20 years of service to BH)
The same nonsense was ongoing under President Schaeffer, I think his first name was Mike. Well anyway, Mike is one of the guys who believed in bigger management...top heavy big time. Then along comes Bob Trefy...who served under Mike....yet another individual who believed in top heavy management. This right here could be part of the solution, but allow me to go on.
Both of these guys and their sidekicks believed that if they hired an outside consulting firm to the tune of let's say a mil plus, they could tell us how to save money. Do you know what the answer to the firm was....cut staff. Not from the top down, but rather the bottom up. In 1994 a firm came up with a catchy phrase "ITF"...."Inven ting The Future"...effectively what this did was demolish departments, cut employees who had been with the hospital for decades, cut essential staff such as housekeeping and dietary aides (and for those who scratch their heads at the word essential....trust me they are extremely valuable in the healthcare system). "ITF" cut lab services, laundry services, security services and many more. But what it didn't cut was top heavy management, all it did was re-title them. Someone explain to me after all of these years why the President of a hospital makes more than the President of the US. Yes ladies and gentleman...Bob Trefy pulls in more than our current President and our former two Presidents.
They need to spend millions on rebuilding the ER, why not try spending money on getting people through quicker....that's right, they cannot give adequate care without looking pretty.
They also need to look at the dead weight they employee...most of which will probably make it through layoffs untouched. Those they play on their blackberry's during work, take 6+ breaks a day, MD's that need several PA's to do their work, and trust me there's plenty more.
The waste at BH is disgusting, but now they will try and make up for it by cutting the low one on the pole...it will not change and in another 5 years they'll be in another crunch, and then in another...next thing you know they will hire another consulting firm for millions and recommend laying-off staff.
I enjoyed my time working at BH, I met many wonderful people, both Staff and patients/family. I feel sorry for those workers who are about to get the shaft yet once again. I have one question for the management of this place....how do you sleep at night knowing you are about to reduce the staff of your hospital by 10%, knowing your poor management skills are at fault? Mr. Trefy....time to move on to some other place, you and your sidekicks have done enough damage here. While your at it, take 50% of your managers with you because they are just as ridiculous.
Fed up

Stratford, CT

#104 Jun 9, 2009
duh wrote:
<quoted text>
St Vincent's is not having lay-offs, and is, in fact, hiring.
R U for real?? It is hitting
every hospital around! Don't get too comfortable!
Teen

United States

#105 Jun 9, 2009
Come on wrote:
I feel bad for people getting laid off. I wonder how they have the heart to kick people to the curb and still the big wigs collect huge salaries. What's going to happen to patient care without the real workers who keep these hospitals running?
Connecticut Sam agree with you. It is sad when people lose their jobs and homes.
Ellen

Ashford, CT

#106 Jun 9, 2009
Bpt hospital needs to include a sr executive / vp in the cuts. It can't be just housekeeping & lower skill positions this time around.
Exhausted professional

Broad Brook, CT

#107 Jun 9, 2009
The people who RUN the hospital are the RN's, PCT's Surgical Techs, Unit Secretaries and Unit Supports.These are the people who have direct patient contact and deal with the pts on a hourly basis, 24/7...weekends, holidays, off shifts.We do our jobs well,often sacrificing family.We are forced to give up our merit raises, while the big shots running around with their clip boards make the big bucks. Do they have to give up their Christmas morning with family?? Doubt it. And, please don't think they'' be the ones to save you when you come in for an emergency!!! They wouldn't have a clue as to where to start!!! Yet, we are the ones getting laid off. Trim the fat on the top Mr Trefry.Please don't be surprised when the pt satisfaction scores tank....unhappy employees = unhappy patients. we are only human,not robots,and can't be expected to perform at 100% when wwe are being treated like garbage.
Exhausted professional

Broad Brook, CT

#108 Jun 9, 2009
The Carpedia rep we met had a degree in Hotel Management???? That is who is determining what type of health care you are offering your patients???? Please....shame on you !!!!
Free Willie

Dallas, TX

#109 Jun 9, 2009
Ellen wrote:
Bpt hospital needs to include a sr executive / vp in the cuts. It can't be just housekeeping & lower skill positions this time around.
Connecticut Sam agree with you. The CEO needs to be fire.
He makes more

Garden City, NY

#111 Jun 10, 2009
I Think the employees of Bridgeport Hospital at this critical time should take a stand and protest against the layoffs taking place. They are always screams about our scores (press gainey) patient satifaction, we would have satified patients if we had satisfied and adequate staff. Making these cuts the scores are going to drop, what staff you have left post layoffs are going to get burned out.
They need to start cut from the top, the people who are not there after 4pm, not with those who are running from room to room making sure that their patients have what they need and are comfortable. If we downsized our Top Ten moneymakers ranging from 1.5 Million+ CEO to 400,000+ Director of Human Resouces we can save atleast 200 manuel labor positions making 30 - 50K per year.
He makes more

Garden City, NY

#112 Jun 10, 2009
duh wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not the uninsured heart attack victims or seriously sick that are the problem. It is the uninsured, illegals who use the ER as a walk in clinic for colds, headache, pregnancy tests, STD testing, etc. These are the ones who are causing the problems.
Bridgeport Hospital has a surplus for free care 16 million + dollars of donated money now I am not saying treat all the uninsured with that money but use it when needed.
unbeleveable

Milford, CT

#113 Jun 10, 2009
Please stop!!!! If this is the ED Tech Bob H who wrote this well we have to suffer and work with every night in the ED, you have no right to make these statements. We work very hard in Emergency Dept but you are not a team player. You have no right to make these statements about caring and helping patients. You are a nasty person and krissy should have gotten rid of you long ago. Yes I fear for my job like everyone but it is bullying staff like you who give us a bad name. You are far from a "good" employee.
BOB wrote:
I AM AN EMPLOYEE OF THE BPT EMERGENCY DEPT,CURRENTLY, AND SEE ALL THE CRAP TAKING PLACE THE HOSPTIAL DOES NOT CARE ABOUT EMPLOYEES, THE CORPORATE GREED THAT MR. TREYFRY TAKING HOME 1.8 MILLION A YEAR, WE WORK OUR ASSES OFF AND GET NO INSENTIVE FOR DOING A GOOD JOB, ITS NOT OUR FAULT THAT THE HOSPITAL IS $15,000.000.00 DOLLARD IN DEBT., TELL ME WHY DID THEY HAVE ALL THESE PARTYS KNOWING THAT EVERYONE IS GOING TO BE SCREWED. ILL TELL YOU WHO IS GOING ,ALL THE GOOD EMPLOYEES WHO ALWAYS WORK THERE BUTTS OFF. YOU CAN BE THE BEST EMPLOYEE THERE AND HAVE THE CLEANEST RECORD, AND SHOW UP FOR WORK ON TIME, DO WHAT YOUR TOLD , NEVER LATE,EVEN WHEN YOU HAVE TO WIPE SOMEONES ****,LET THE BIG SHOTS GO AND LET THE EMPLOYEES TAKE OVER THE HOSPTIAL. ITS TOO BAD THAT WE ARE NOT A UNION HOSPITAL. THE BOTTOM LINE
YOUR FIRED, THANKS FOR WORKING HERE , NOW IM WITH OUT INSURANCE , NOW I HAVE TO START ALL OVER AGAIN. THANK YOU MR. TRYFRY, AND BPT HOSP FOR DESTROYING MY FUTURE SIGNED DISCUSTED EMERGENCY DEPT EMPLOYEE

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Medicine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Diagnosing Trump: Did America elect a madman? 56 min Illegal A h0le 203
News Medical Expert : "Need a Doctor? Find One While... 1 hr damnObamacare 1
News the Smoke-free trend (Nov '06) 8 hr Katey 170
News Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) 10 hr Ms Sassy 9,775
News Should food stamps be used to buy soda and cand... (Mar '17) 11 hr kibbutz kommies 5
News Q: Are Vaccines Safe? 12 hr VACCINES MAIM KILL 1
News Pregnancy Symptoms - 12 Very Early Symptoms of ... (Jun '07) 16 hr Ashleyholmes 7,300
More from around the web