Estrogen Patch brand comparison

Estrogen Patch brand comparison

There are 89 comments on the Ask MetaFilter story from Sep 6, 2007, titled Estrogen Patch brand comparison. In it, Ask MetaFilter reports that:

I would like to hear from anyone who has tried both the Vivelle estrogen patch and the Climara estrogen patch at identical dosages, to find out what were the differences between the two brands, which one did ... via Ask MetaFilter

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Ask MetaFilter.

dee

Irving, TX

#44 Jul 5, 2012
the climara, which is replacing my discontinued, perfect estarderm patch by novaris,
is staying on so far but the estradiol in the climara seems to last only 4-5 days then the symptons from no estrogen return the last two days of the week.

i liked changing a patch twice a week and wish the vivelle dot worked for me, but it was like putting on a strip of scotch tape---absolutely no effect at all. i was right back to the sweats, headaches, brain fogginess i had before i started the estraderm patch 25 years ago.
Sandy

Bloomingdale, GA

#45 Jul 5, 2012
for what wrote:
this is the 1st day of week 5 for me and to celebrate I have a 2 inch red burning irritated badge on my abdoman. I've invested in another month so I must use them, but I'm so afraid this will continue. I have applied these all as directed on dry, clean skin rotating once weekly with a new patch. I'll spend this month looking for another option. I can't imagine the pain I'll incur in the hot summer months if I continued with these horrible Mylan Estradiol patches. Thanks but no thanks hot flashes have never brought me to tears from the pain or embrassment from a rash. ps the rash IS NOT on the adhesive line. and HOW do you remove THAT ring?
Estrogel is the answer. It's a gel that you rub on daily. You can get it for $9 per eighty gram tube, which is more than you'll get with the pump (US version) if you order with a faxed doctor's prescription from Masters Marketing, UK. The tube comes with a plastic stick that you squeeze a line of gel from, like you toothpaste. Oh, and you will find it under the name "Oestrogel" on the website (Google it). It's exactly the same as the US product, but not in a pump, made in France or Belgium to US FDA standards. No rash, as it's just an alcohol based gel plus the estradiol -- same one in Vivelle Dot and all the other products mentioned. Oh, if you go to the Estrogel website, you can get a voucher for money off of your copay, and they will send you a reminder monthly, as well as sending you a reminder to print out a new voucher for your discount. This is a good way to try the product. For me, even with the money off, it was cheaper to order from Masters at 6 months at a time, with fifteen dollars shipping! But I'd been using the US product for a while and knew what it was supposed to do. Try it locally first.
Coco

San Diego, CA

#46 Jul 26, 2012
DOES ANYONE notice a difference in the mylan patch from the climara patch 0.05
I am thinking of switching as the price is so very much lower for mylan.
Please let me know right away.
Thank you to all of you who post here, this is a wonderful site for great info.
C.C.
Sugar

San Diego, CA

#47 Aug 16, 2012
Mary wrote:
I started using the Estradiol patch manufactored by Mylan, which is the generic for Climara. When I remove the patch, I have a huge red mark, the same size as the patch, that stays where the patch was for a couple of weeks. Also, the skin underneath the patch starts itching shortly after I put it on. I used the Climara patch for years and never had a problem. Does anyone else have this problem? If so, did you find a cause or a solution?
Hello. I also got the itchy feeling from Climara and it also did leave a mark.. but My doctor told me to try to wipe down the area with rubbing alcohol before applying it, be sure to wait for it to dry. before applying the patch. It worked for me a bit. The doctor explained to me it could also be the glue used on the patch that may cause the itching, but I feel it is the medication that does that. He said that could cause it also.. When I wore a cast on my leg that also itched.. That made me think that It may also be that the air does not circulate in the enclosed area so that can make it itch. I would rather sit thru the itching at times than to go thru the horrible heat flashes and all the other problems of menopause.
I have been on the climara patch, 0.05 for many, mamy years now.
It does seem to work, but I also have to take the progestrone and that comes in a tiny pill form.
I hope this may help you.
Sugar.
Levias

Rockville, MD

#48 Sep 3, 2012
I was on Novartis Estraderm Patch many years with no side effects. Now Estraderm is discontinued was put on. Climara. Same dosage. Suffered severe itching on arms, legs, back an head. Called Bayer Healthcare to report. They said it was a side effect they are aware of. Had to dicontinue its use. Looking for replacement similar to Estraderm..
JLJ

Ypsilanti, MI

#50 Oct 1, 2012
Does anyone know if the generic patch comes in a color for African Americans? Not only is the generic spongy and comes off easier, it stands out like a bright light on dark skin!! My insurance covers the generic for $7 copay but I have to pay $32 every month for the Climara clear patch that actually stays on more than two days. I think we should fight back on this issue. This is an example of generics that are not cheaper in the long run and certainly NOT comparable.
Marly

Madison, WI

#51 Oct 13, 2012
dee wrote:
the climara, which is replacing my discontinued, perfect estarderm patch by novaris,
is staying on so far but the estradiol in the climara seems to last only 4-5 days then the symptons from no estrogen return the last two days of the week.
i liked changing a patch twice a week and wish the vivelle dot worked for me, but it was like putting on a strip of scotch tape---absolutely no effect at all. i was right back to the sweats, headaches, brain fogginess i had before i started the estraderm patch 25 years ago.
I am wondering if anyone has been on Vivelle dot for a long time. I have for 7 years and am afraid to go off. On lowest dose.
Sandy

Onalaska, TX

#52 Oct 13, 2012
I have used the Vivelle Dot 0.1 MG. for about 12 Years, with no problems. I stopped using it for about a year because of the cost. I tried taking Estradiol Tablets, but had too many bad side effects.(Depression, headaches, agitation, etc.) so I returned to the Vivelle Dot and feel Great at 65.
Marly wrote:
<quoted text>
I am wondering if anyone has been on Vivelle dot for a long time. I have for 7 years and am afraid to go off. On lowest dose.
Susie

Cedar Lake, IN

#55 Oct 22, 2012
I prefer the mylan patch; our insurance changed to the Alvogen brand and I am back to night sweats, sleeplessness, moodiness (to put it mildly). I think our insurance made the change probably for cost reasons but I will be going back to the Mylan brand...may as well not be using anything when using the Alvogen patch!!
Linda E

United States

#56 Oct 25, 2012
JLJ wrote:
Does anyone know if the generic patch comes in a color for African Americans? Not only is the generic spongy and comes off easier, it stands out like a bright light on dark skin!! My insurance covers the generic for $7 copay but I have to pay $32 every month for the Climara clear patch that actually stays on more than two days. I think we should fight back on this issue. This is an example of generics that are not cheaper in the long run and certainly NOT comparable.
I agree......been on climara patch for several years and love it but I can no longer afford the expense. The generic patch made me break out when it wasn't falling off! Called manufacturer several times in the early years and they didn't care - just wanted their profits!! We DO need to fight back on this issue. I'm caucasian and it still sticks out like a sore thumb under dresses, swimwear, etc!!
carlys

Alton, IL

#58 Nov 2, 2012
been on vivelle dot 0375 for two days now, also the generic progestorene.(name brand prometrium was $150.00 , ouch). So far no results..how long will I have to wait before I feel relief?

I have hot flashes, night sweats and I do not sleep well..

Please respond
kathy

Kennewick, WA

#60 Nov 30, 2012
Elaine wrote:
The Vivelle Dot works great for me. No side effects at all. I tried Climara but it made me nauseous and made my legs ache really bad at night, with insomnia (the same thing happened when I tried Premarin). However, the Vivelle Dot was too expensive at $65-$75 for a month's supply here in the U.S., so I just started buying it from Canada instead at $30 a shot. I would suggest this to anyone who likes the Vivelle Dot. All you need to do is have your Dr's office fax and then mail the prescription to the Canadian pharmacy. I have been using www.jandrugs.com for more than a year with no problems I just buy 3 month's supply and pay the $10 shipping fee and they mail it out to me in about 2 weeks
Do you need your Dr,s office send the fax of the prescription to the canada pharmacy and then also mail the presription to them? Thanks
Angie

Colorado Springs, CO

#61 Dec 11, 2012
I have similar issues with my combipatch. I am not allergic to latex but get the red dots from the patch, I have been reading about black Cohosh for hot flashes and mood. Thanks to Elaine for the Canada tip. I am running out of money for hormones.67.00/month
Ginger

Lake Saint Louis, MO

#62 Dec 18, 2012
Okay, so it's been a while since I last posted. I tried just about every patch known to man. They all had some sort of bad symptom for me. Last spring, I decided to just go with the generic forms of Estrogen and Progesterone from Walmart ($4.00) list. I was on that for about four months and then went for a PAP. I went to EMAA. The NP there told me that she thought BCP might actually help me because it basically takes over your hormones without the issue of guessing games as with HRT. I was on BCP for about four months. I tell you, it was like a miracle for me. It cured everything from hot flashes and night sweats, made me generally feel younger, better, more energetic, full of energy, etc.. etc... I was taking it without a break. By the four month, I was in such pain with cramps and diarrhea that I had to stop. Upon stopping, I had the period from HELL! It was so bad, I was passing clots. I've never felt worse. So, back on generic Estrogen. Only this time, I started back with the itching, and then my blood pressure went up. Back to EMAA where the NP said my BP was too high for Estrogen. She gave me Micronor (Progesterone only), which scares the crap outta me. I didn't even start it. I went straight to my family physician who agreed that my BP was too high for Estrogen. She suggested that the high BP and itching was from the Estrogen. So, she took me off ALL hormones. She suggests Black Cohosh, but I read too many bad things about it. Anyway, day 8 of no hormones and I feel pretty good... not too many night sweats. No hot flashes yet. I take Halcion for sleep, so if I am having bad night sweats, I am sleeping through them. My physician also put me back on my Propranolol for my BP and Singulair for my allergies and asthma (I had previously weaned off those thinking the itching was from those)... turns out I was wrong. It's the Estrogen that caused the high BP and itching. It's not good ladies. I'm going to try to toughen it out. Everything I read is bad. I am still having anxiety and sweating. Anyone suggest anything that I haven't tried WITHOUT raising my BP?
Sharon

Lockhart, TX

#63 Dec 27, 2012
Elaine wrote:
The Vivelle Dot works great for me. No side effects at all. I tried Climara but it made me nauseous and made my legs ache really bad at night, with insomnia (the same thing happened when I tried Premarin). However, the Vivelle Dot was too expensive at $65-$75 for a month's supply here in the U.S., so I just started buying it from Canada instead at $30 a shot. I would suggest this to anyone who likes the Vivelle Dot. All you need to do is have your Dr's office fax and then mail the prescription to the Canadian pharmacy. I have been using www.jandrugs.com for more than a year with no problems I just buy 3 month's supply and pay the $10 shipping fee and they mail it out to me in about 2 weeks
Just called and ordered it worked perfectly! My "plan" does not October them and they are the best!
Ginger

Lake Saint Louis, MO

#64 Jan 1, 2013
Went off both Singulair and Propranolol. Called Dr. to get back on generic estrogen. Been on both Walmart's 4.00 estrogen and progesterone and have never felt better! The progesterone has made me sleep soooo well! I think that's all I needed.
Ginger

Lake Saint Louis, MO

#65 Jan 1, 2013
Blood pressure went back down and stayed down too. I'm not sure why I was having high BP, but I believe it's the allergy medications I was taking.
Fruatrated

Knoxville, TN

#66 Jan 4, 2013
Mary wrote:
I started using the Estradiol patch manufactored by Mylan, which is the generic for Climara. When I remove the patch, I have a huge red mark, the same size as the patch, that stays where the patch was for a couple of weeks. Also, the skin underneath the patch starts itching shortly after I put it on. I used the Climara patch for years and never had a problem. Does anyone else have this problem? If so, did you find a cause or a solution?
I have the same problem. I think it is an allergy to the material or adhesive the generic patch is made of. I was recently told by my pharmacy that Climara is discontinuing it's patches. Sad day for those of us who cannot tolerate the generic.
Anne

Lexington, MA

#68 Jan 18, 2013
Just a quick question though. If you order it from Canada, do you then claim it on insurance yourself? I am new to this game and use the Vivelle Dot. Insurance covers it but $30 is cheaper than what I currently pay.
Mary

Cumming, GA

#69 Jan 29, 2013
I love my Mylan estrodial patch, i use a low dose and it stays on for over a week, if it does get loose, i can just move it to another spot and press and it usually sticks without any problems, now it is a little bigger than other generic brands, but it stays on better. I have had to discard other brand, because once it gets loose , it is done, so have to pitch it. I am on a low dose and hope studies will be found that it is helpful w little side effects, because i have had a complete hysterectomy at age 44, and a few times i have attempted to wean off the patch and by the 3 week, i have very unmanageable symtoms, can't focus, can't sleep, horrible hot flashes , and depressed, so i love my Mylan estrodial patch.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Medicine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Stop those naturopaths who spread anti-vaxxer m... 10 hr Ali 1
News Pregnancy Symptoms - 12 Very Early Symptoms of ... (Jun '07) 12 hr Lyric_F 7,214
News Wanted Nashville suspect surrenders 17 hr baaarrrtt 2
News There's a new doc in town (Sep '14) Fri Homer 4
News Questions to ask your dentist about preventativ... (Aug '15) Fri liza_0801 11
News Being skinny linked to depression in both men a... Fri Humanspirit 3
News The War Between Neuroscience and Psychiatry Fri Humanspirit 2
More from around the web