My child's friend has head lice -- what should I do?

Q: My daughter's friend has head lice. Now, every time I see my kids scratch their heads, my head gets itchy and I get alarmed. Full Story
First Prev
of 8
Next Last
MyStoryAboutIt

Philadelphia, PA

#1 Jan 14, 2008
This story takes me way back to when I was a child. My parents were hosts to a student from Ecuador whom they allowed to live with us and they welcomed her into our home. We shared my bed, since our home was small. She was a lovely girl, but little did we know, she was infested with lice.

My nitemare began in school and every morning thereafter. My head was infested, and I mean infested with these crawly little critters. I was scared. My mother discovered them while I was scratching my head. When she finally decided to check my head (after 2 months) she was a shock!

Since we knew little about lice back in the early 70's, I suffered tremendously. My brothers had it, my parents got them and every single person I came in contact with got them.

My mother finally checked the girl's head, and to her surprise she was shocked to find that it was her, that carried the lice and infested our home.

Be careful who you allow to enter your home. Our once happy home, turned into a "Nitemare Lice Infested Home!"
Our good deed to our local church, turned into a disaster for me, my parents and my whole family.

Lice is bad, they lay eggs all over the place and you can see the lice crawling. I had them by the hundreds in my head, and they doubled in quantity since we did not catch it on time.

“God loves to heal people”

Since: Nov 07

Manchester, UK

#2 Jan 14, 2008
Headlice are very easy to get rid of, once you know how.

All you need is a small amount of oil (olive oil, cooking oil, anything like that) and a few drops of tea tree oil and a headlice comb. Mix 10 drops of tea tree into about two tablespoons of oil and apply to the head. Comb through with an ordinary comb, then comb carefully from scalp to end with the nit comb. Do it over a piece of paper. You will soon see the little blighters drop out onto the paper, and the egg cases will also be removed. Then wash your hair.

Do this every alternative day for a week. You MUST do this, to remove any newly hatched egg cases that you missed. Then, do it weekly for a month.

This is much safer than using any of those store bought headlice cures, and cheaper too. And you will have beautifully conditioned hair as well!
MyStoryAboutIt

Philadelphia, PA

#3 Jan 14, 2008
Zoompad wrote:
Headlice are very easy to get rid of, once you know how.
All you need is a small amount of oil (olive oil, cooking oil, anything like that) and a few drops of tea tree oil and a headlice comb. Mix 10 drops of tea tree into about two tablespoons of oil and apply to the head. Comb through with an ordinary comb, then comb carefully from scalp to end with the nit comb. Do it over a piece of paper. You will soon see the little blighters drop out onto the paper, and the egg cases will also be removed. Then wash your hair.
Do this every alternative day for a week. You MUST do this, to remove any newly hatched egg cases that you missed. Then, do it weekly for a month.
This is much safer than using any of those store bought headlice cures, and cheaper too. And you will have beautifully conditioned hair as well!
People, please don't try what this person is saying above!!!

Headlice are NOT easy to get rid of!! Please, don't believe one word until you lived it! This person above makes it sound like this remedy will work. It doesn't!

Oil makes is the worst thing you want to apply to your hair infested with lice! It will smear, and they will come back once you wash your hair.

You need to see a doctor immediately and please don't try to cure this with any types of "home remedies" it just won't work!

Give me a break with your...

"All you need is a small amount of oil (olive oil, cooking oil, anything like that) and a few drops of tea tree oil and a headlice comb"

Your gonna need more than that!!!

Your a joke!

“"JUST LOOKING FOR SANITY"”

Since: Jun 07

Allentown

#4 Jan 14, 2008
Just get a new kid, it's easier than trying to get rid of lice.

United States

#5 Jan 14, 2008
MyStoryAboutIt wrote:
<quoted text>
People, please don't try what this person is saying above!!!
Headlice are NOT easy to get rid of!! Please, don't believe one word until you lived it! This person above makes it sound like this remedy will work. It doesn't!
Oil makes is the worst thing you want to apply to your hair infested with lice! It will smear, and they will come back once you wash your hair.
You need to see a doctor immediately and please don't try to cure this with any types of "home remedies" it just won't work!
Give me a break with your...
"All you need is a small amount of oil (olive oil, cooking oil, anything like that) and a few drops of tea tree oil and a headlice comb"
Your gonna need more than that!!!
Your a joke!
I agree. However my grandaughter contracted head lice at her day care. And my sons docter perscribed a special lice shampoo that comes with a lice come. you can buy it over the counter at most drug stores, you,ll have to ask the phyarmisis for the name and isle number.

“Listen - Looney Tunes”

Since: Mar 07

been around

#6 Jan 14, 2008
MojoMan the Navy Man wrote:
Or cut off the head- problem solved!!

“Does it really Matter”

Since: May 07

Sunnyville USA

#7 Jan 14, 2008
1st off lice is not uncommon at all.
Head lice are not the end of the world and with little care and time they can be taken care of!

Head lice are very resistant to the OTC shampoos. There is a video called Head Lice to Dead lice, you can order on line that shows how to effectively use the olive oil treatment to remove lice. I know when the grammar school my children attend had a break out this treatment worked! The OTC crap and was a waste of $$.

The treatment is based on the cycle of larva being laid. Remember it takes time and patience to remove all these little buggers but if you follow the instruction you should be fine.

Make sure you bag up all plush toys, wash clothing, bedding and towels in HOT WATER and DRY ON HIGH. Vacuum everything including the mattress. You can use lice spray of the furniture as a precaution too! Discard brushes and combs and DO NOT SHARE! Wash hats, headband anything that your child may have some in contact with.

It's not as awful as one poster mentioned unless you do allow it to get out of hand for several months or if you do not follow the steps ad take all precautionary measures!

Best of LUCK!
Allentonian

Santa Ana, CA

#8 Jan 14, 2008
MojoMan the Navy Man wrote:
Kathy Lauer-Williams wrote:
There has been a trend in schools away from no-nit polices and sending children home who have a lice infestation. According to Medeja, Allentown School District doesn't have a no-nit policy and Bethlehem Area School District recently ended its no-nit policy.
As for ending the no-nit policy, just get a new school district that has one. It's easier than trying to convince lax minded, in-denial, increasingly impoverished, state subsidized school districts, that nits are live eggs promising the spread of more infestations. They must not consider the discomfort caused by a blood sucking parasitic infestation a potential hinderance to learning.

Sure, send the kid home to their impoverished family that needs the state to pay the kid's lunch because it's more convenient for the family. The same logic will apply here and "the cure" will come through (even more of our tax dollars) via Welfare.

But then, what do the school district's care? Now that they have GWB and his "No Taxpayer Left Behind" policy.

United States

#9 Jan 14, 2008
You people are just confusing this poor woman, you are NOT DOCTORS. PLEASE TAKE YOUR FRIENDS KID TO SEE A DOCTOR< BEFORE THE KID SCRATCHES HIS OR HER HEAD SO BAD< IT GETS INFECTED..........

United States

#10 Jan 14, 2008
THE MORNING CALL HAS NO BUSINESS PLAYING DOCTOR, AND NIETHER DO WE!!!!!!!!!!

“I feel pretty”

Since: Mar 07

Chesterfield, MO

#11 Jan 14, 2008
Lice have been going around in my son's Kindergarten class, and so far, we've been lucky not to have gotten them. The school sent home a note that mentioned lice don't like hairspray or gel, so I've been using hairspray on my son each morning to try to keep the lice away. Makes me a little mad that apparently this has started in another classroom around Thanksgiving, but the parents of the kid who had it didn't tell anyone.

Since: Feb 07

New York, NY

#12 Jan 14, 2008
Zoompad and Doindawash are correct. Both of my kids had it. Joy, joy! The problem was compounded by the custody arrangement (a lot of homes, beds, etc. were involved)! I can tell you from experience that the poison remedies are all similar (except for the prescription/extremely flammable & dangerous one - that scared me to use, and stunk). The real cure is nit-picking. Yup. You and your kid can really bond because you'll be sitting poking through their hair forever (it seems!) It was also recommended to us by the pediatrician to use the oil or mayo. technique. Seeing as most insects tend to breath through the thorax (their mid-section) using something that will "clog" up their breathing method can only help. I'm sure the oil helps to get through the hair with way less fuss - seeing as the ones who usually get it are squirmy children! As a side note - being the crazy mom that I am, I never stopped with the hugs, etc.(although I did tie my hair back during combing) and never got them myself.

New York, NY

#13 Jan 14, 2008
A few weeks ago I saw a "public service announcement" with kids about cooties. What a scream!

New York, NY

#14 Jan 14, 2008
Oh, it was on you-tube.

New York, NY

#15 Jan 14, 2008
Allentonian wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
As for ending the no-nit policy, just get a new school district that has one. It's easier than trying to convince lax minded, in-denial, increasingly impoverished, state subsidized school districts, that nits are live eggs promising the spread of more infestations. They must not consider the discomfort caused by a blood sucking parasitic infestation a potential hinderance to learning.
Sure, send the kid home to their impoverished family that needs the state to pay the kid's lunch because it's more convenient for the family. The same logic will apply here and "the cure" will come through (even more of our tax dollars) via Welfare.
But then, what do the school district's care? Now that they have GWB and his "No Taxpayer Left Behind" policy.
Yeah, sure, getting lice is related to the economics of the family. You're funny!

United States

#16 Jan 14, 2008
doindawash wrote:
1st off lice is not uncommon at all.
Head lice are not the end of the world and with little care and time they can be taken care of!
Head lice are very resistant to the OTC shampoos. There is a video called Head Lice to Dead lice, you can order on line that shows how to effectively use the olive oil treatment to remove lice. I know when the grammar school my children attend had a break out this treatment worked! The OTC crap and was a waste of $$.
The treatment is based on the cycle of larva being laid. Remember it takes time and patience to remove all these little buggers but if you follow the instruction you should be fine.
Make sure you bag up all plush toys, wash clothing, bedding and towels in HOT WATER and DRY ON HIGH. Vacuum everything including the mattress. You can use lice spray of the furniture as a precaution too! Discard brushes and combs and DO NOT SHARE! Wash hats, headband anything that your child may have some in contact with.
It's not as awful as one poster mentioned unless you do allow it to get out of hand for several months or if you do not follow the steps ad take all precautionary measures!
Best of LUCK!
SO WHAT IS THE KID SUPPOSED TO DO ABOUT THE SEVER ICHING< UNTILL THE VIDIO ARRIVES??????? TAKE THE KID TO SEE A DOCTOR NOW, AND DO EVERYTHING ELSE THAT THIS PERSON SAID.........
Winston

Gaithersburg, MD

#17 Jan 14, 2008
Can you get them on your groin?
Allentonian

Santa Ana, CA

#19 Jan 14, 2008
Kelly7 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, sure, getting lice is related to the economics of the family. You're funny!
Perhaps not, but the elimination of the spread of them certainly can be. Read the other posts from families with children in this area who've had them and get the picture.

“Tolerance and reason”

Since: Apr 07

Lehigh County

#20 Jan 14, 2008
Might want to check out the Centers for Disease Control website for soem recommendations based on real science: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasites/lice/...

Controlled research shows that home remedies including oils generally do not work: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15637580...

Other research shows that among the pharmacuetical treatments, Ovide lotion seems to be most effective in killing both lice and eggs.

New York, NY

#21 Jan 14, 2008
Winston wrote:
Can you get them on your groin?
I think they are different species of lice. I'm not sure though.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Medicine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Depression and dementia in older adults increas... 4 min HumanSpirit 3
Can depression and guilt in preschool years cha... 10 min HumanSpirit 6
Spike in women dying of liver disease in St Helens 1 hr dirtclaud 1
Texting may cause neck and spine injury 2 hr Dr Sum Ting Wong DC 14
Genetics Suggest Autism Isn't Just One Disorder... 3 hr VACCINES CAUSE AU... 1
The number of smokers has fallen to 19% of the ... 3 hr SMOKING MAIMS KILLS 1
Flu vaccine less effective against mutant strain 3 hr MERCK MAIMS KILLS 1

Medicine People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE