Looking for the right dojo? Do your homework.

Nov 6, 2007 Full story: Statesman Journal 13

“They need to understand that karate or the other martial arts are not about Jackie Chan.”

A basic guide to martial arts What's the difference between karate and judo? Here's an elementary guide to some to the most popular forms of martial arts commonly taught to kids in America, whether they are ... via Statesman Journal

Full Story

“The Penguin Cometh.”

Since: Dec 06

Antarctica

#1 Dec 18, 2007
The Article wrote:
It's important to sign up your child for the right reasons, he explains. "So many parents tell me their kid is getting pushed around at school, and they think that if the child knows martial arts, he'll be able to defend himself. The truth is, their child is getting picked on because he's not a fighter.
See, now, I take exception to this. I have students who've trained with me who have learned to deal effectively with bullies. They did *not* have to learn to be fighters. The basic premise of the comment is just wrong.
MOMMY

Terra Ceia, FL

#2 Dec 18, 2007
aiki_mcr wrote:
<quoted text>
See, now, I take exception to this. I have students who've trained with me who have learned to deal effectively with bullies. They did *not* have to learn to be fighters. The basic premise of the comment is just wrong.
-----In this country people and children should learn Respect and education but with who because parents doesn't give a damn...About every thing so tell how you want do that..........Please.It is an free country but toooo free for trash ....

“The Penguin Cometh.”

Since: Dec 06

Antarctica

#3 Dec 18, 2007
I disagree that parents don't care. I *have*, however, encountered more than a few who don't really know how to counteract the trash their kids are taught in school about personal relationships.

I teach children to respect themselves and others. I teach them that you don't have to fight in order to object to someone being in your personal space.

I give them tools to deal with bullies.

But, really, I'm not clear on what you're asking, MOMMY.
MOMMY

Terra Ceia, FL

#4 Dec 21, 2007
aiki_mcr wrote:
I disagree that parents don't care. I *have*, however, encountered more than a few who don't really know how to counteract the trash their kids are taught in school about personal relationships.
I teach children to respect themselves and others. I teach them that you don't have to fight in order to object to someone being in your personal space.
I give them tools to deal with bullies.------You are an instructor for aikido or a nurse and you teach only the loving children .
Because an real instructor are for adults and all the rest is for preschool.
But, really, I'm not clear on what you're asking, MOMMY.
-------WIHICH aikido do you teach really ??????????preschool or adults???

“The Penguin Cometh.”

Since: Dec 06

Antarctica

#5 Dec 22, 2007
I teach children ages six through adult. I also have separate adult classes.

Why?
MOMMY

Terra Ceia, FL

#6 Dec 22, 2007
aiki_mcr wrote:
I teach children ages six through adult. I also have separate adult classes.
Why?
-----I have seeing no adults in 15 yrs until now,so where are they adults.And I am not a nurse so no before 18 yrs .I do real martial arts not the tender(americans way)that is real crap.
I have 47 yrs experience an accomplished 3 years of instructor's program with Japanese federation
3x worldwide champion full contact karate no protections and I come teaching the americans tender like that .No thanks.Nursery No thanks.
Yes I am desapointed to Americans,The big nation of the world ....so childish ......Is so sad.
So negative in here own concepts to be sweet.....!
The Sue Happy country of the world....wowwww!

“The Penguin Cometh.”

Since: Dec 06

Antarctica

#7 Dec 22, 2007
Oh, I get it now.

So, you don't believe children can actually learn martial arts.

Interesting. I guess I'd better tell my students who've defended themselves with the skills I've taught them that it was just their imagination. That wasn't really Aikido they used. Repeatedly.

On the whole, though, I think you just want to pick a fight. Have a good time with that.
MOMMY

Terra Ceia, FL

#8 Dec 22, 2007
aiki_mcr wrote:
Oh, I get it now.
So, you don't believe children can actually learn martial arts.
Interesting. I guess I'd better tell my students who've defended themselves with the skills I've taught them that it was just their imagination. That wasn't really Aikido they used. Repeatedly.
On the whole, though, I think you just want to pick a fight. Have a good time with that.
-----I pick up children who already have received a certain level of education and karatedo is not for fight but if you need or have do ,yes. Why not .??? I prefer adults because I am too old for baby sitting .In Europe 40% of grown up do martial-arts is more interesting and fun.
Baby sitting no time.
I teach children like in Japan 6 am. Then I don't have time.So children are quiet for going to shool. Regards. For me if he like he have to come by here self , that it. or he doesn't like too much spoilt already.
AKKA instructor

Aberdeen, SD

#9 Apr 30, 2009
I see no problem with children learning martial arts. It does teach them respect and discipline. I've had students in the kids class as young as 4. However you will not see 6 year olds running around my dojo with black belts on. Minimum age for BB is 16. Thus far I've only promoted 2 people to black belt and they had both been training for approx 7 years each. I've been training since 1989 and I'm only a 2nd degree BB. I hope to test for my 3rd Dan this summer. So it is possible to teach children while keep the high original standards of the art.

“The Penguin Cometh.”

Since: Dec 06

Antarctica

#10 May 2, 2009
I had to close my dojo due to demographics and economics, but while it was open I had a clear policy on black belts.

I had a special Junior Black Belt (it was actually black with a red stripe to distinguish it from an adult black belt). These kids were very good at what they'd learned, but they were not mature enough to be awarded an adult black belt. Some of these kids were quite capable of teaching beginners classes in terms of technical ability, but too young to be capable of being teachers, emotionally. Also, there were certain techniques that were omitted from the requirements for and adult black belt (too dangerous for little bodies).

To earn an adult black belt you had to be at least 16. I awarded exactly two as well.

Junior black belts I was a little less - um - rigid about. I awarded six of them and all the kids deserved them. But I know that only one or maybe two of them will go on to get an adult black belt. Still, I hope what they learned will make a difference in their lives.
MOMMY

Lithia, FL

#11 May 2, 2009
aiki_mcr wrote:
I disagree that parents don't care. I *have*, however, encountered more than a few who don't really know how to counteract the trash their kids are taught in school about personal relationships.
I teach children to respect themselves and others. I teach them that you don't have to fight in order to object to someone being in your personal space.
I give them tools to deal with bullies.
But, really, I'm not clear on what you're asking, MOMMY.
---
Untill the parents doesn't do martial arts or following the step of sports he will never happen.
Dream on. Or prove me that exist and where ????
90% of martial arts is trash in the USA country and people doesn't like sweating anyway. SO ?
Talking about adults is LOL......or ahahah !
People have today a China Wall in Stainless steel ego , people want to do only what he want.(B.S.)
Look GM where go ???????? No good job!
Untill the sport doesn't come from the goverment laws or reforcement laws dream on it...and blah..blah.blah....all the way.
MOMMY

Lithia, FL

#12 May 2, 2009
aiki_mcr wrote:
I had to close my dojo due to demographics and economics, but while it was open I had a clear policy on black belts.
I had a special Junior Black Belt (it was actually black with a red stripe to distinguish it from an adult black belt). These kids were very good at what they'd learned, but they were not mature enough to be awarded an adult black belt. Some of these kids were quite capable of teaching beginners classes in terms of technical ability, but too young to be capable of being teachers, emotionally. Also, there were certain techniques that were omitted from the requirements for and adult black belt (too dangerous for little bodies).
To earn an adult black belt you had to be at least 16. I awarded exactly two as well.
Junior black belts I was a little less - um - rigid about. I awarded six of them and all the kids deserved them. But I know that only one or maybe two of them will go on to get an adult black belt. Still, I hope what they learned will make a difference in their lives.
-

I am part of one federation means international UKAI at FLa watch the web ,and there no body received a black belt by complements or encouragement that is soo stupid.
But is what 90% Americans do for there students kids. Adults ...Naahhhhhhhh. Lazy to die.
In Europe now who are fat people pay doble price for two chairs for site everywhere. That is good for losing weight right.....Paid for it,is that only that way Americans understand !.
Rebeca

Cuauhtémoc, Mexico

#13 Jul 24, 2009
You should all check out the new book on aikido:

The Way of Aiki: A Path of Unity, Confluence and Harmony
by Jose Carlos Escobar, MA.

About the Book

Aikido goes beyond martial arts: it does not only resolve conflict in a constructive way but it also develops our intuition. It gives us an insight that changes old paradigms and transforms our current vision of the world, our mind and spirit, through the practice of harmonious universal movements developed by its Founder, Kaiso Sensei Morihei Ueshiba. It is through its physical training system that Aikido helps us to get the technology we need to improve our lives by using unity, confluence and harmony (Aiki). The way of Aiki is a path intended to prepare us to avoid destructive actions in order to find the value and possibilities it offers in order to develop an Aiki culture. This book presents basic information derived from the great master’s teachings that might have been forgotten or neglected throughout the years of its expansion.

About the Author

Jose Carlos Escobar, MA.(philosophical anthropology), is an old student of Yutaka Kurita Shihan, a direct disciple of the Founder of Aikido. When they met in 1980 Escobar was introduced to Aiki for the first time. He holds a rank of fourth-degree black belt and he offers this book for your consideration and as a reference to teachings he has learned from his devoted instructor, an earnest follower of this way of life.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tae Kwon Do Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tae Kwon Do Instructor Accused Of Sexually Abus... (Oct '06) Nov '14 blackbeltgranny 83
Wolverine Diaries Sep '14 Fan 1
On-line Taekwondo program to graduate in a Kore... (Apr '12) Sep '14 sarthak kataria 2
They know kung fu (Sep '09) Sep '14 HELLO 12
Master Jim Murray of Pottstown PA (Apr '08) Feb '14 mike dantelli 9
R.I.P. Grand Master Young Soo Do (Nov '07) Oct '13 TKDALUM 35
join us over at tkdalum.com (Oct '13) Oct '13 TKDALUM 1
More from around the web