Tae Kwon Do Instructor Accused Of Sex...

Tae Kwon Do Instructor Accused Of Sexually Abusing Students

There are 85 comments on the WRC-TV Washington story from Oct 6, 2006, titled Tae Kwon Do Instructor Accused Of Sexually Abusing Students. In it, WRC-TV Washington reports that:

Charges are being filed against a local tae kwon do instructor. Ramy Latchinian is accused of sexually abusing two of his students at World Karate Masters in Rockville, and police want to know if there are more ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WRC-TV Washington.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
cara hely mettam-shideler

Brandywine, MD

#1 Oct 10, 2006
i have trained over this elegid sex ofender for going on 6 years now and hes no sexual feind hes a strick but kind and honest instructor and those who understand they cannot judge stongly only by the information they get will truely understand when i say i beleive in my master
there is no proof agianst him and hae no right to arest him we are inocent till proven guilty not guilty till proven inocent so before you judge this case read this through and let yourself think truely about all the news stations who have told you other wise ,calling him horribly slanderous things like a"predator" or "sex ofender" right off the back without even agknowledging the fact that theres no proof agaisnt him and that its just a case he hasnt been proven guilty
anonymous

Charlotte, NC

#3 Oct 11, 2006
Cara,

Please don't be blinded by what you think is true. Many people have dark secrets. Just do some research on a lot of the sex offenders out there. Many are teachers, parents, priests, and loved ones that "would never" do such a thing. Same goes for Martial Arts trainers/coaches/practitioners .
Sad_MD

Rockville, MD

#5 Oct 12, 2006
anonymous wrote:
Cara,
Please don't be blinded by what you think is true. Many people have dark secrets. Just do some research on a lot of the sex offenders out there. Many are teachers, parents, priests, and loved ones that "would never" do such a thing. Same goes for Martial Arts trainers/coaches/practitioners .
You are so right, My prayers are finally answered! Justice is finally here. There will be more coming out and I hope soon. I would hate to see another child be another victim. This instructor has a big ego and fooled alot of people. I always had a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach, my dad was a cop and always told me to look out for these kind of people, he was too nice and charming and he fooled a lot of parents. He seems to be strict and put up a good front. One of the parents got information that he was investigated by a Social workers for in-appropriate touching. He had officers as students and they adored him. That is why he got away with it for so long. A lot of the tournaments was out of state some parents could not afford to go and he was aware of their financial situation, so they relied on other parents to keep an eye out for their children. The massages was a shocker some of the parents quit but did not say anything, these kids will need lots of professional help. This story will only get bigger and this man is not innocent! A lot of people think after sexual abuse why won't the person tell!!! Well the person won't tell, because most times sexual abuse are committed by the person you know and respect or they are close to your family and talking about it is out of the question for fear of being shunned and no one would believe you. This is a tremendous stress and burden on any child, you feel dirty and ashamed. I am happy this bastard is caught! This is America and Justice will Prevail. My anonymity is for now.
Patrick

Concord, NC

#6 Oct 15, 2006
I think everyone needs to hear the case before judging this man . as one that works with ATA knowing this is a contract sport . I'm not defending him nor saying he didn't do anything wrong. We teach all students to Tell when they feel out of place or somethings wrong . but you can't rely on the news to tell the hole story, they do need to leave some things out and add others to make a story good . good sells not truth. But in saying that if the instructor did something wrong , I would say he needs to pay a life for a life.
sam

Derwood, MD

#8 Oct 16, 2006
I dont know whether to believe these accusations of him sexually abusing people. He always seems very ethical but i have to say, he would be extra nice or whatever to the young female students which was kinds weird. ANyways... its just hard for me to believe because he has a wife and child and he is religious. And why are these accusations coming out now.. I know that girl and shes been training since she was 9 years old.. and if the abuse stopped when she was 18.. then why did she keep coming there? i trained for 3 years and i remember seeing her well over when she was 18 and it doesnt make sense. Anyways, just my two cents
A former student

North Hollywood, CA

#10 Oct 24, 2006
I trained with this man for 6 years. When I left and got to college, I thought to myself, did he abuse me? He touched me for many years, but he counteracted that touching with a sort of strict and honorable persona. I know what he did to others, including his first wife. I hope he doesn't hide behind his religion at his trial, but I'm sure he will.

It takes a lot for these former students to come forward...everyone at the school knew what was happening, including my generally clueless mother! I feel for his wife and baby son.
Anonymous

Frederick, MD

#12 Oct 26, 2006
Well... after reading the recent comments from Mr. Ramy's former students.. I must say that I too trained with this man and believed in him as my Martial Arts instructor. It is a SAD shame that he has done such a horrible thing to these innocent children. And, yes I am saying that I believe he is guilty of the charges against him. MANY people that have trained with him over the years have contacted me over the years to tell me the sick and inappropriate contact he was having with his young female students. I know he may believe in Alah; however, his conduct is certainly NOT what a religious person would do. I HOPE and PRAY myself that justice will be served FINALLY !! I am really tired of hearing all of the stories of students/parents that have witnessed him touching girls as they were stretching.. around their groin area.. and then grabbing at their chest guards.. hence touching their breasts. THAT is certainly inappropriate. AND, furthermore.. having a joining hotel room with a CHILD.. when you are NOT their parent is a direct invitation for TROUBLE. I know for a fact that another ADULT student of his was at an away tournament with is own daughter and witnessed this victim coming out of his room in the early AM. THESE things will NOT go unnoticed.. I pray!!
Mommy of 3

Leavenworth, KS

#13 Oct 26, 2006
This is a difficult subject. I too am a fomer student of Mr. Ramy's. He is a man that does both good and bad things.. but he is just a man. I have witnessed things that were inappropriate actions towards female students. At the same time he has been a positive influence on myself as well as my family. The law is not asking us whether he is a nice guy. The law is asking only if he is guilty of the charges. Unfortunately, I think he is GUILTY.. while being a "nice guy".. but still GUILTY. I am holding my daughter as I type this message. If she were a "victim" of any abuse, I don't care how "nice" the offender... I'd want him to be held accountable for what he did. For those of you who know something.. then do something. If you know nothing, then stop speculating and let us get through with taking care of this issue.
English 101

Arlington, VA

#15 Oct 26, 2006
Excuse. Do you think you could send us a translation of whatever language you are speaking. I don't mean to be rude, but I have NO IDEA of what you are trying to say.
bob

United States

#18 Oct 26, 2006
bob saaays
bob

United States

#19 Oct 26, 2006
why would multible people say the same thing??? It sure does sound like he is guity. LETS CUT THE SEX OFFENDERS NUTS OFF...
bob

United States

#20 Oct 26, 2006
when you say school you think safe not i have to be worried about your martial arts instructor getting too friendly with your daughter...
bob

United States

#23 Oct 26, 2006
NOW SAD it would be really sad if you keep your comments/knowledge to yourself if you feel like something happened unless your nuts it probably did happen!!!!!!!your knowledge could be the difference in justice or 2 girls ruining what one could only think to be not only tough but a nightmare in coming forth,one would think there not in for fame
bob

United States

#25 Oct 26, 2006
sam wrote:
I dont know whether to believe these accusations of him sexually abusing people. He always seems very ethical but i have to say, he would be extra nice or whatever to the young female students which was kinds weird. ANyways... its just hard for me to believe because he has a wife and child and he is religious. And why are these accusations coming out now.. I know that girl and shes been training since she was 9 years old.. and if the abuse stopped when she was 18.. then why did she keep coming there? i trained for 3 years and i remember seeing her well over when she was 18 and it doesnt make sense. Anyways, just my two cents
DO you think he swear on the bible or a koran when he gets to court??One would think a muslim would'nt care if lied after swearing on a bible..
Mommy of 3

Redmond, WA

#28 Oct 27, 2006
Mommy (Sun City, FL) honest question.. Do you use American Sign Language? Just wondering.

For the rest of the Forum.... Yes "Nice Guys" can do bad things. When I say "nice", I mean polite. Otherwise, everybody is capable of anything. Face that fact. That is a sad truth. I just pray that this matter is addressed and taken care of quickly. Again... If you are reading this and KNOW SOMETHING, then speak up. Otherwise, speculation is just a hinderence.
bob

United States

#31 Oct 27, 2006
It is a shame that parents allow their children to travel with coaches/instructors and they never think about child molesters being someone you believe has real morals and beliefs. I just wonder why and how all of these other people that witnessed these weird things happening didn't do anything?
English 101

Arlington, VA

#32 Oct 27, 2006
Bob is exactly right. The people who know what is going on don't want to get involved. The rest of the ones who were clueless to his inappropriate behavior are idiots, or people who live their life in denial. They think because someone is nice on the "outside" they couldn't possibly do such a bad thing. I can't tell you how many parents talked about this man's inappropriate behavior over the years, yet somehow these same people kept their own children in the school. I don't need proof to remove my child from a bad environment. If I have a bad feeling about my child's teacher/instructor, with or without proof, my child is out of that environment! I'm outraged by the reaction of some of these parents. Cara- I feel really bad for your children or future children. They will be unprotected due to your ignorance.
Saddened TKD Coach

Seattle, WA

#35 Oct 30, 2006
I am a TKD instructor and have had conversations with Mr. Latchinian and am an admirer of the WTM program. My hope is that the allegations are not true, and that Mr. Latchinian is innocent. But if the allegations are true, then he should be punished. Any inappropriate contact with a minor is wrong. My thoughts and best wishes are with all the people effected by this tragedy it is a sad time for Tae Kwon Do. To all the family members at WTM hang in there our thoughts are with you.
sam

Derwood, MD

#37 Nov 8, 2006
is the school closed now.. thats the latest thing i heard, anyways. even if he didnt do it his reputation is tarnished and he will have no career.. and if he is found guilty then he will go to jail , he would always be extra nice to me and to some other young girls i knew.. he would beg them to join the tournament teamm.. now i think i know why.. what a pervert
jla

Arlington, VA

#38 Nov 8, 2006
sam,
don't know about the school being closed or not, but I do want to address people's curiosity as to why this girl would wait so long. I think she probably didn't realize she was being abused at the time it occured. She probably looked up to him as a g-d like figure who was incapable of doing anything bad. She probably didn't think he was doing anything wrong even though she felt very bad. It wasn't until she hit adulthood and discussed it with friends and others that she slowly started to realize that what he did to her was wrong. It also takes time for victims of abuse to realize they are not the ones who did anything bad but that they are the victims. It takes a while to find the strength to come forward. Also, no wonder so many victims don't want to come forward because they are torn apart by people like cara.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tae Kwon Do Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News They know kung fu (Sep '09) Sep 16 Johnsteven 15
Master Jim Murray of Pottstown PA (Apr '08) Sep 12 Barry landis 10
R.I.P. Grand Master Young Soo Do (Nov '07) Aug '16 paul 36
News Cuban athlete was right to kick 'corrupt' judge... (Sep '08) May '16 zionist BARn 17
News Kicks For Kids Martial Arts in Oakville May '16 0-tolerance-doesn... 1
The False history of tae Kwon Do (Apr '10) Apr '16 Andy Echeandia 9
STOP Sexual Abuse by Coaches in the Olympic Sys... (Mar '15) Oct '15 TKDVEGAS 2
More from around the web