Former fighters start MMA gym in Adams

Full story: North Adams Transcript

After years of fighting professionally in mixed martial arts competitions, three local men have decided to take their passion for combat sports and share it with the people of North County.
Comments
1 - 20 of 61 Comments Last updated Feb 23, 2011
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Oh My

Westfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Feb 8, 2010
 
Very exciting - However Transcript got it all wrong again. Field was not MMA - he was an outstanding and accomplished local wrestler. That should be made clear - his qualifications are second to none.
Jacques Thomet 7 DAN

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Feb 8, 2010
 
Oh My wrote:
Very exciting - However Transcript got it all wrong again. Field was not MMA - he was an outstanding and accomplished local wrestler. That should be made clear - his qualifications are second to none.
---

I am not opposit as MMA neither to UFC I just say is for children or the begining to have physical contact in this country it is so weird today by concepts.
It doesn't exist to others country in the World ! So weird stuff like here !
litigist

New Lebanon, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Feb 9, 2010
 
Jacques Thomet 7 DAN wrote:
<quoted text>---
I am not opposit as MMA neither to UFC I just say is for children or the begining to have physical contact in this country it is so weird today by concepts.
It doesn't exist to others country in the World ! So weird stuff like here !
Is that English? That could be the worst compilation of words I have ever read!
so sad

Holyoke, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Feb 9, 2010
 
litigist wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that English? That could be the worst compilation of words I have ever read!
You are so pathetic. Are you an artist?
litigist

New Lebanon, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Feb 9, 2010
 
so sad wrote:
<quoted text>
You are so pathetic. Are you an artist?
I'm pathetic because I can't understand what that post said? I am certainly not an artist, but I can introduce you to several that can put a few sentences together.
Puttin a Hurt On

Easthampton, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Feb 9, 2010
 
Did you notice a theme in the article? Both of these people are not fighting because of injuries.

What kind of a future does something like this bring to the people of this area? How many of these MMA fighters will make a good living from this sort of thing? How many will suffer injuries of the sort that will keep them from other meaningful employment?

You can count on the fact that my kid won't be enrolling in their program. There are other great ways to keep in shape and blow off testosterone.
wrastler

Williamstown, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Feb 9, 2010
 
these mma guys are all wanna bes. that field guy jus wished he could wrestle so he went to mma for ufc

i hope some bodies dont get hurt and get paralized or sometin. they will sue him i know that for shore
fact finder

Gloversville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Feb 9, 2010
 
hope all goes well for you guy's.
Jacques Thomet 7 DAN

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Feb 9, 2010
 
litigist wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that English? That could be the worst compilation of words I have ever read!
---

Do you speak en read and write english oh my god.
My religion prohibit me to do that as well.
ahahahhahhah!
Save your hard on

Springfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Feb 10, 2010
 
Puttin a Hurt On wrote:
How many of these MMA fighters will make a good living from this sort of thing?
As opposed to the thousands of participants in youth sports from your town who go on to lucrative careers in their respective sports? lol

Surely this MMA stuff might be criticized on other grounds, but that particular question is truly laughable.
Geeze Louise

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Feb 10, 2010
 

Judged:

1

We are raising a soft generation. Combatives need to be emphasized to toughen up our kids. Our PE programs exclude gymnastics and wrestling and only emphasize the ball sports. Look at basketball and soccer. The kids are pussies and so are their coaches and parents. Good for them trying to toughen up our kids. It will develop self confidence a lot better than those other things. If you don't believe me go take a look at the PE programs now.
Save your hard on

Springfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Feb 10, 2010
 
Geeze Louise wrote:
We are raising a soft generation. Combatives need to be emphasized to toughen up our kids. Our PE programs exclude gymnastics and wrestling and only emphasize the ball sports. Look at basketball and soccer. The kids are pussies and so are their coaches and parents. Good for them trying to toughen up our kids. It will develop self confidence a lot better than those other things. If you don't believe me go take a look at the PE programs now.
Ah yes, the kids and coaches are the p****ies. Louise, who chooses to live her life in Topixland - SHE'S not a p***y, right? lol
Walley for President

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Feb 12, 2010
 
Jacques Thomet 7 DAN wrote:
<quoted text>---
I am not opposit as MMA neither to UFC I just say is for children or the begining to have physical contact in this country it is so weird today by concepts.
It doesn't exist to others country in the World ! So weird stuff like here !
Sounds like you took one to many punches to the mellon!!! Speak SLOW and we will hear you better!!!
Knop

Pittsfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Feb 12, 2010
 
Puttin a Hurt On wrote:
Did you notice a theme in the article? Both of these people are not fighting because of injuries.
What kind of a future does something like this bring to the people of this area? How many of these MMA fighters will make a good living from this sort of thing? How many will suffer injuries of the sort that will keep them from other meaningful employment?
You can count on the fact that my kid won't be enrolling in their program. There are other great ways to keep in shape and blow off testosterone.
Ok, yes, they have both had injuries that have kept them from competing but, you find me a coach in any sport that couldn't continue to play that sport for any reason. Also, the future of this isn't to just create competitive MMA fighters but to offer a different kind of fitness. Any MMA inspired workout will give you just as much if not most of the time more of a workout then any other, sport specific or not. Now, injuries in training are mostly seen as a necessary evil in the MMA world, this does not mean you have to come and train to full contact fight, injuries you sustain are at your own risk and we are all well aware of. I have never known of anyone who does not train to fight full time get injured to the extent of not being able to work. Those types of injuries usually only happen in actually fights.
Knop

Pittsfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Feb 12, 2010
 
wrastler wrote:
these mma guys are all wanna bes. that field guy jus wished he could wrestle so he went to mma for ufc
i hope some bodies dont get hurt and get paralized or sometin. they will sue him i know that for shore
Alright, now for one if you're going to comment on something first off get all the facts, second please make sure you know how to type correctly and use proper English. How are "these MMA guys" all wannabees more then anyone else playing any other sport? Most want to be fighters while people who play football want to play in the NFL or baseball and the MLB. Frank was a National Champion wrestler and teaches the wrestling classes at the complex. He did not get into this to get to the UFC it was stared as a grappling club for enthusiasts. There was both wrestling classes and jiu jitsu classes, the thought of an alternative fitness center incorporating these disciplines came about from that club.

Oh and I'm not trying to be an ass but: "wanna bes"=wannabees, "jus"=just, "went to mma for ufc"=MMA for the UFC, "dont"=don't, "paralized"=paralyze d, "sometin"=something, "shore"=sure...never mind the punctuation
CDP

Williamstown, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Feb 25, 2010
 
Thank you Knop.

I train at this school(Berkshire County Athletic Training Center) and yes the North Adams Transcript did get a lot wrong. I've been training with Chris for years now, and can assure you he'll continue to fight MMA professionally. During the hiatus of his injury and part of his rehabilitation he began teaching alongside Frank. We have quickly become the best place in the area to train Jiu jitsu, Wrestling, Muay Tai, and a mixed martial art training for future competitors. BUT it is not all we offer. We have a growing women's fitness, cardio kickboxing, and soon to be yoga classes, along with many others, in which every person who attends would gladly say it's one of if not the best workout they've ever had. This is an all inclusive gym, and we strive to be open on an all day basis, for weight lifters, fighters, and anyone else who wishes to workout with world class professional athletes. Jiu jitsu and mma training are not just for people who want to compete, it is a phenomenal core, and conditioning workout.

Please feel free to stop by anytime the lights are on. If you’d like there is a Facebook page(under daily construction) were you can find more info about times and new classes, read our wall OR just come in for a free class.

Thanks
trainee

Williamstown, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Feb 26, 2010
 
i hope you dont allow those man apes to constantly grunt and strain. at least the planet fitness place doesnt allow this. do you/?
love noise

Gloversville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Feb 26, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

trainee wrote:
i hope you dont allow those man apes to constantly grunt and strain. at least the planet fitness place doesnt allow this. do you/?
Who care if someone makes noise when lifting weights. It is a natural thing people do. Old people grunt when picking up a piece of paper. Planet Fitness sucks not that much of new equipment and no one to show you how to do things right. Plus many of the people do not even clean the machines down after being used.
mussle head

Williamstown, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Feb 26, 2010
 
evry machine look new and clened down to me
YOUR WRONG

North Adams, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Apr 27, 2010
 
wrastler wrote:
these mma guys are all wanna bes. that field guy jus wished he could wrestle so he went to mma for ufc
i hope some bodies dont get hurt and get paralized or sometin. they will sue him i know that for shore
First of all learn to spell. Secondly Field is listed as an all american just about anywhere and is a 2 time NCAA national champion. He is THE best wrestling coach around, and the other MMA coaches are also very talented. Don't post things like this unless you've seen them coach.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Tae Kwon Do Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tae Kwon Do Instructor Accused Of Sexually Abus... (Oct '06) Jul '14 nkotb 79
They know kung fu (Sep '09) Jun '14 Jamie 11
Master Jim Murray of Pottstown PA (Apr '08) Feb '14 mike dantelli 9
R.I.P. Grand Master Young Soo Do (Nov '07) Oct '13 TKDALUM 35
join us over at tkdalum.com (Oct '13) Oct '13 TKDALUM 1
The False history of tae Kwon Do (Apr '10) Aug '13 lollman 4
Students on fast track to black belts (Aug '06) Jul '13 Sly 91

Search the Tae Kwon Do Forum:
•••
•••