Fighting larger opponents
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Reese

Tupelo, MS

#21 Sep 21, 2007
what are the best pressure points to use in a street fight situation?
Siraphop Ratanasuban

Bangkok, Thailand

#22 Sep 23, 2007
You can learn Muaythai, Muaychaiya, Boxing at www.onesongchaigym.com thank you.Sincerely,
MCY

Greeneville, TN

#23 Apr 16, 2008
In my opinion, I believe you have to put your mindset in the offensive. You are already at a disadvantage against someone larger than you and defending yourself will never work. I will share a real experience I had in school. One kid hit me in the throat and I was literally choked up for half hour. From experience, believe me, it works. I believe you may also strike him in the side of the neck with a hammerfist (stun) or stomp his feet with your heel.
tim

Yorba Linda, CA

#24 May 30, 2008
Brandon wrote:
All right heres how it is just because the guy is bigger and stronger doesent mean he has the advantage because your smaller and faster and if you get more aggressive your problems will be solved see im not much of a martial artist because i dont live anyaere near a place to learn it but let me tell you iv been in enough street fights to no that if your aggressive and go right at him like crazy there is no way you can loose so loose the fear and get psyco!
Angry fighting only works against other angry fighters. Anger vs skill is another story in which skill wins.
dawson

Pickering, UK

#25 Sep 3, 2008
Ok before i comment i would like to point out i have no martial arts background or fighting background e.g boxing kick boxing ect..but to improve punch speed i get a 5kg dumbell or however u spell it and i practive 5 hooks with my elft and my right arms then upercuts and then jabs repeat as many times as needed and over 2 days u will see ure unch speed dramatically improve ...
Striker

United States

#26 Feb 8, 2009
Brandon wrote:
All right heres how it is just because the guy is bigger and stronger doesent mean he has the advantage because your smaller and faster and if you get more aggressive your problems will be solved see im not much of a martial artist because i dont live anyaere near a place to learn it but let me tell you iv been in enough street fights to no that if your aggressive and go right at him like crazy there is no way you c

an loose so loose the fear and get psypco!
If you are untrained and let loose against a trained fighter it will be a short encounter. The punch of a trained fighter is roughly 2x the speed and 4x the power of a pedestrian. Also the counter strikes and kicks would be devastating.
Private Joker

Evansville, IN

#27 May 8, 2009
ive been reading some of these comments and all i needed to know for my up coming fight, is how to turn my opponents weight against him i do know he will use this as a weapon amungst my own strength itll just wear me down and make me burn my own stamina most would say go for his legs hes round but smart. I thk besides relying on taken the bigger opponent out by his legs is lock up with them in a clinch lett them get comfortable and then put them on there ass. or just do some dirty boxing roughem up with some elbows and knees
DUSTIN

North Plains, OR

#28 Sep 23, 2009
Daniel wrote:
At my kickboxing class I spar with a taller and stronger opponent.It is simply a case of power and strength vs agility, i've only been doing kickboxing for about 4 months however so when i'm blocking these powerful strikes i'm finding it tricky to find the time to strike back effectively, could anyone please give me any tips on how to overcome this, or the best way in which to set him up to get in on the inside, thankyou all.
if i werre u i would use leg kicks to set up ur power punches.fake some shots and come in with some thing else.
Dee

Rocky Mountain House, Canada

#29 Apr 14, 2013
I do not know much about kickboxing since I am in karate. But I do know some moves that might be helpful to you. I do recommend that you join karate for a bit to adjust your speed. Speed is the main thing when it comes to karate but some large people do join and they go against speed completely. Most hit VERY hard and don't really give. I should know, I have been hit on the leg so many times in one tournament that it almost completely turned blue. Well here are some tips, I hope it helps.

I have fought a few people around 3 times bigger than me. One thing I know is that you can't look scared. Look relaxed and don't seem like you are scared of fighting this person, you will end up giving them more power. Once you look confident, they will start to worry a LITTLE bit. If they are much taller than you than move in close enough to make sure that their kicks would be useless then move around in angles, quickly.

Wax on, Wax off. It's a great move for bigger and slower opponents. When they kick use 'wax on or wax off' on their kick so that they would end up with their back facing you. While doing that, move in closer on a diagonal line and attack with multiples to the side (they would probably be turned around by the time you start punching)(Im not very sure if you would be allowed to use this in kickboxing)

Usually I adjust my level of contact. Just dont go easy on them.

Taller opponents depend on their reach.(I should know, with my long arms and legs) usually no one can get to me, but a few have gotten very close to me and completely cut off my kicks. I had to retreat to punching but they got a multiple on me before I could switch.

I hope some of this helps... Lots of the kickboxers in my town have joined karate to work on balance and speed. I still recommend it very very much. Well thats all I have.
Dee

Rocky Mountain House, Canada

#30 Apr 14, 2013
oh oops. haha i read the wrong comment and thought this was about kickboxing... sorry
Ian

New Westminster, Canada

#31 Feb 1, 2014
re Wrestling...

My opinion is that, one on one, the better grappler wins. When he takes the fight to the ground, the inferior grappler doesn't have the skills necessary to make it a stand up fight again.

That said, street fights often aren't clean one on one fights, but melees involving multiple combatants, and grappling leaves you vulnerable to being kicked in the head by another opponent. Learned that one the hard way.

You can see an example of the supremacy of grappling in the early UFC matches, before fighters started being built on a standardized Boxing/Muay Thai/Wrestling/BJJ stack like they are today. Back when it was a bunch of fighters that had mastered a single style, Gracie and Severn rose to the top and the strikers fell before them.

But they would have been pretty easy to shitkick while they were fighting each other.
Ian

New Westminster, Canada

#32 Feb 1, 2014
My background is freestyle wrestling, Karate, Capoeira and Muay Thai, though the only one I've gone to competition in is wrestling.

My general approach with big guys is, be evasive and unpredictable, force them to move their asses to keep up with me, strike their knees with low snap kicks to slow them down, then take them out with heavy kicks and elbows when they get sloppy.

If it's one on one, I like doing an ankle pick, then climbing up their body once we're on the ground, delivering hand strikes to the groin and gut on the way to a full mount position.

Some throws and slams also work just as well against a big guy as a small guy. If the throw requires you to hoist and then muscle him over, you avoid them, but if they use his weight against him, or only require you to lift him and rotate him on his axis before slamming him back down, they are good candidates.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Muay Thai Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Muay Thai offers benefits for the whole family (May '16) Jun '17 some here left 4 TO 3
News Halton Hills residents bask in Honour & Glory I... (Aug '16) Aug '16 kickboxing 1
Who has trained at Wai Kru Mixed Martial Arts i... (Jan '07) Jul '15 suplex delux my f... 14
News Finalists prepare for Halton's Got Talent (Jun '15) Jun '15 Mary 1
News Muay Thai instructor is carrying on family prid... (Mar '08) Jun '15 big daddy 263
News Zambidis ready to rock in Cyprus (May '15) May '15 takis ptolemeos 1
Muay Thai Training Centre (Apr '06) Feb '15 azeez ullah 97
More from around the web