Fighting larger opponents

Posted in the Muay Thai Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Daniel

UK

#1 Jul 30, 2006
At my kickboxing class I spar with a taller and stronger opponent.It is simply a case of power and strength vs agility, i've only been doing kickboxing for about 4 months however so when i'm blocking these powerful strikes i'm finding it tricky to find the time to strike back effectively, could anyone please give me any tips on how to overcome this, or the best way in which to set him up to get in on the inside, thankyou all.
Daniel

UK

#2 Jul 30, 2006
I don't own a speedball bag and because of space,won't be getting one any time soon, what other effective methods are there of improving my punching speed?
Tiger King Muay Thai

Mount Juliet, TN

#3 Aug 30, 2006
Id say work on either intercepting the larger opponent and try to beat him to the punch/kick.Or some fighters like to fake like thier going to go inside and draw the larger strongers attack parry or make them miss slightly then explode. As for working on your speed for this.make sure you work on being totally relaxed while training and sparring.Also shadow boxing is a good way to work on speed as well as using a mirror to see how you can fake an opponent and draw him in.
Ciceron

Croatia

#4 Aug 31, 2006
I came across the same problem myself. My way of dealing with much heavier opponent (i fight in 75kg weight class and sometimes spar with 95kg fighters who often kick through your block so you cant really stay on your feet when you receive a low kick) is moving alot. When you learn how to move in such a way that it is very hard to corner you, fighting with more powerfull, but slower opponent will give you great advantage. This takes some talent, time and will to learn, because it is not easy to use your movement with good effect. This, in my opinion, is much better tactic then trying to work from inside, coz' if your opponent is taller and stronger, he'll just start working with his knees( you said u are in a kickboxing class, so i assume you do thaikick). When you see a strike coming just move aside and do a low kick instantly followed with a combination of punches and move out. In my experience, your opponent will end up chasing after you and getting frustrated while you do all the fancy work;) Good luck :D
Ciceron

Croatia

#5 Sep 1, 2006
About the speed improvement, do shadow boxing with some weights in your hands (start with 2.5kg, then try 5). At the end of training do 3 rounds of shadow boxing with weights and then 2 rounds without weights.
Tiger King Muay Thai

Mount Juliet, TN

#6 Oct 22, 2006
Daniel wrote:
I don't own a speedball bag and because of space,won't be getting one any time soon, what other effective methods are there of improving my punching speed?
Simple adding light weights to your arms and legs adds alot of speed and power. Your body gets used to throwing these strikes with the added weight and before you know it when your throwing the strikes for real they come quicker with more pop. You might also work on making sure your relaxed while stiking until the moment of impact.This will both speed each attack up as well as help develop defense as your body is relaxed and ready to deal with a counter.Hope this helps you
Butaicho

Chino Hills, CA

#7 Oct 30, 2006
When sparring with a taller opponent, typically their reach is much longer, so what would be a good plan of action? Tear down the opponents legs? Or set them up for KO punches? Wear down the body?
Tiger King Muay Thai

Mount Juliet, TN

#8 Oct 31, 2006
Theres a few things you can do in this situation. The examples you gave all will work well. Working on the legs and body will slow your opponent down and keep his attention on those areas giving you a chance to set him up for a KO or a head combination. Also working closer to him has a huge effect on a taller opponent. Because he is taller his distance and best game is fought probably on the outside. Simply move closer to him shortening his punches and kicks in effect taking some of his power and putting you into you best game range.A good combination of all those will work very well.Just remember..The last thing you want to do is stay away from him and stay in his range.
Lemmings

Vancouver, WA

#9 Nov 1, 2006
Just learn how to wrestle, all your problems will be solved.
Taekwondo

Gravesend, UK

#10 Jan 5, 2007
i do taekwondo and it often provokes arguments in school and other places. many of the people who would make fun of me are taller and more built. would there be any tips for taking these guys in a street situation. ive been doing it for 10 years and speed is one of my major advantages its just i wudnt be too sure how to use it against a guy like this. im also wanting to enter more frestyle competitions and was wondering what other style would be useful
Savateur

Dallas, TX

#11 Jan 16, 2007
The best way to spar or fight a stronger and heavier opponent is to go in to his defenses by punching the stomach or give him shin kicks. This will distract the larger opponent or put him into defense where he will be a little more on the heel and less on the offensive.
Savateur

Dallas, TX

#12 Jan 16, 2007
If you're looking into getting into freestyle, the first thing you should do is BJJ. The Best thing to do is look for a school that combines Muay Thai Or regular boxing with Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Tae Kwon Do is more of non combative sport. I also suggest you look into getting into something like Kajunkenbo or Danse De Rue Savate so you can understand streetfighting and develop a mean streak.
Taekwondo wrote:
i do taekwondo and it often provokes arguments in school and other places. many of the people who would make fun of me are taller and more built. would there be any tips for taking these guys in a street situation. ive been doing it for 10 years and speed is one of my major advantages its just i wudnt be too sure how to use it against a guy like this. im also wanting to enter more frestyle competitions and was wondering what other style would be useful
andrew

Montebello, CA

#13 Feb 17, 2007
im currently in jujitsu and i have a problem with one guy there. he is the same size as me but much heavier and just a little bit stronger than me. i dont know how to really get him or strike him. do you have any tips on how i can beat this opponent?
Butaicho

Bloomington, CA

#14 Apr 11, 2007
Taekwondo wrote:
I practice Muay Thai. I am 5'7" was at 200lbs have power in my punch. I elected to lose weight and gave up some power/strength for speed and agility. I am currently 175 lbs. Im faster, still good power. I enjoy any opportunity fight taller opponent, or heavier opponent or sometimes both. Ive found that the heavier guys are easier to hit. But when they hit back its pretty strong. Taller guys help me to gauge distance and currently working on getting inside to mitigate the power and upset his psychological game. That's where speed is important. But that's me. pehaps it may help you.
Sawadee cup
Butaicho

Bloomington, CA

#15 Apr 11, 2007
Savateur wrote:
If you're looking into getting into freestyle, the first thing you should do is BJJ. The Best thing to do is look for a school that combines Muay Thai Or regular boxing with Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Tae Kwon Do is more of non combative sport. I also suggest you look into getting into something like Kajunkenbo or Danse De Rue Savate so you can understand streetfighting and develop a mean streak.
<quoted text>
With respect, this fellows TKD is not in vain. He should have good kicks. Ax kick front kick work well in full contact. Also spinning heel. Thai boxers do not often see some of the kicks that TKD practitioners use. I have a Red in TKD. I catch many musy thai boxers with spinning back kicks and ax kicks. But being a Muay Thai boxer. My staple has been front kick (teep) and strong back-leg roundhouse. But BJJ or jiu jitsu period is a great add-on, along with Muay Thai for your stand-up game. These are neccessary repetoire for the true "full contact" fighter. Even Aikido and Wing chun have their applications in "live Combat" too.
Sawadee cup
Butaicho

Bloomington, CA

#16 Apr 11, 2007
andrew wrote:
im currently in jujitsu and i have a problem with one guy there. he is the same size as me but much heavier and just a little bit stronger than me. i dont know how to really get him or strike him. do you have any tips on how i can beat this opponent?
Work the angles. Sidestep, move...not necesarily back but sideways. Use your front kick to keep him from rushing you. Stick him. break down his confidence. lure him in. Time him, then...drop the bomb on him. Keep sparring with him. That's your homework for tomorrow.
Butaicho

Bloomington, CA

#17 Apr 11, 2007
Lemmings wrote:
Just learn how to wrestle, all your problems will be solved.
C'mon buddy. Wrestling is no "end-all" a well seasoned martial artist is constantly striving to find the ultimate reality. Take what works, reject what's useless and constantly changing, developing your practice til you find truth.
Triskal

Chicago, IL

#18 Apr 28, 2007
Miyamoto Musashi "No man is invincible,and
therefore no man can fully understand that
which would make him invincible." This is
very true.
Brandon

Fort Bridger, WY

#19 May 30, 2007
All right heres how it is just because the guy is bigger and stronger doesent mean he has the advantage because your smaller and faster and if you get more aggressive your problems will be solved see im not much of a martial artist because i dont live anyaere near a place to learn it but let me tell you iv been in enough street fights to no that if your aggressive and go right at him like crazy there is no way you can loose so loose the fear and get psyco!
leo

Baytown, TX

#20 Sep 20, 2007
can anybody tell me how to improve on my speed and more strenght on my punches and tips on how to deliver strong blows when close to an enemy.with out using jujitsu just street boxing

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Muay Thai Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Muay Thai Training Centre (Apr '06) Nov 13 Breen 95
muay thai super ajarn (Mar '12) Oct '14 SEE ME-READ ME- K... 2
Edson Barboza focused on Donald Cerrone, ready ... (Apr '14) Apr '14 bigman clack 1
Marina Shafir, Art Hovhannisyan headline Chaos ... (Apr '14) Apr '14 mike rip 1
Marina Shafir, Ronda Rousey's training partner ... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Chaz 1
Indoor Cycling Studio Keeps Top Celebs Fit (Oct '13) Feb '14 ashleymore 2
United South East Asia Cultural Association (U... (Nov '13) Nov '13 GFL 1

Muay Thai People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE