Karate teacher charged with felony af...

Karate teacher charged with felony after kicking student

There are 202 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 26, 2007, titled Karate teacher charged with felony after kicking student. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

A karate instructor who teaches children in Hampton and Suffolk has been charged with felony child endangerment, after one of her students accused her of kicking him in the ribs more than 200 times, causing ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

First Prev
of 11
Next Last
Ka-RA-te Jerry

Norfolk, VA

#6 Nov 26, 2007
Boot to the head!!

Since: Nov 07

Williamsburg, VA

#10 Nov 26, 2007
The truth will come out.

It took about a week for the injured child to come forward seeking medical help...so, maybe something happened during that week?

Kudos to Ms Bateman for turning herself in.
joe

Davis Wharf, VA

#11 Nov 26, 2007
Sounds like someone wants to get rich quick here at the expense of the lady doing her job. My sympathies are with this lady and wish her the best!!
AlS

Boca Raton, FL

#12 Nov 26, 2007
It is not possible that Mrs Bateman could have injured her student. She is a fine instructor and I have known her for many years to be a very caring teacher. I believe the police need to question the parents in detail as they did Mrs Bateman. Could there be another answer to this issue?
James

Wicomico, VA

#13 Nov 26, 2007
Most people don't understand martial arts. Sometimes we hit each other and kick each other to build a higher tolerance to pain. These are not malicious strikes in any way. Yes, they will sometimes begin to hurt after a while, thats what they are for. I am not an instructor and do not work with children, however I do not think that these stratagies are exactly appropriate for the younger students (but the younger they start the better off they really are.)
That sounds like what has transpired, which is somewhat dissapointing because it puts the instructor here in a rough spot. If she really did cause any serious injury, I am sure it wasn't intentional. I do not personally know her, but no instructor would ever attempt to cause a student (that pays the bills) any injury. The DP does tend to crucify people before trial and sometimes even without trial. It sells the papers people. Don't believe everything you read.
My guess

Norfolk, VA

#14 Nov 26, 2007
My guess is that the truth will come out like it did today in the coach from KHS's trial. The daily press and local media is very quick to junp on articles that sell their sub-par papers. Yet they never seem to retract things when they over report what is found to innocent.

I would question the parents as they a. are guilty of abuse and are looking for an alibi or b. they are out for the almighty dollar. Stand tall Ms. Bateman. The truth will be your ally.
LOL

Newport News, VA

#15 Nov 26, 2007
My Japanese Master would be proud of her!!! I do like the comment above about the boot to the head. I think it is an old Saturn Night Live bit. It will get dropped in court, I am betting 3 to 1. Any takers? ;)LOL
Lili

Newport News, VA

#16 Nov 26, 2007
Does anyone remember a teacher being accused of assaulting one of his teacher at Yates? Well, I do. It was reported as fact in the Daily Press that he was guilty already. It ends up that he was acquitted of the charges because the boy lied. Did anyone read a retraction? I sure didn't.

Mr, Dawson, I always knew you didn't do it.

Then again does anyone remember about the incident at Hooper's Academy that the DP reported? Mr Hooper was found guilty of sexually assaulting the teen worker there. I know her and it ended it up to be true.

I hope the truth comes out in this case...
Lili

Newport News, VA

#17 Nov 26, 2007
I am sorry - I made a mistake. The teacher at Yates was Mr Benson. He was an incredible teacher!
Shannon

Anchorage, AK

#18 Nov 26, 2007
I don't know Mrs. Bateman and the only thing I know about this case is what was reported. I can't say whether she would or would not ever do such a thing. However, I do have to shake my head when people say "She/He could never/is incapable of/would never do something like that!" I have heard that said about many a person just to find out that that did/was capable of/had done whatever they were accused of. I've also see the other side where people were convinced that someone had done something just to be proven wrong. I don't know her but I do know not to put someone on such a high pedestal and say that you know they could "never" do "anything like that". My children used to take Tae Kwon Do from a wonderful instructor and I was always in the class watching them.
Warm Fuzzies

Jamaica, VA

#27 Nov 27, 2007
Smells like there's something rotten in Denmark. I'd like to hear the instructor's side of the story.
While studying under one instructor we all had to line up parallel holding a leglift with out heads off the ground while the instructor walked over our stomachs like stepping stones to make sure that we had our ab's tight. Would you consider that abuse? I wouldn't. It's part of the training.
In my experience there is a significant percentage of martial arts students who are put into training because their parents want them to learn some discipline. See also:problem children. I'll wait for the rest of the story to come out before I make up my mind on this one.
what the

Dayton, MD

#28 Nov 27, 2007
What the D.P.omitted was the fact that parents were there watching her.She was'nt kicking them hard more like smacking them with her foot to test endurance and pain tolerance.This hold story is nothing but half truths.

Since: Nov 07

Newport News, VA

#29 Nov 27, 2007
Concerned wrote:
How can anyone really believe that Mrs. Susan Bateman would ever endanger any one of her beloved students! She is the best person that I have ever personally witnessed with students. She not only cares for each of her students but she helps motivate them in every class! What transpired that day was not violent, it was not malicious! She did not kick any child! Instead she tapped each child repetitiously with her foot. Ms. George's accounts of the investigation to the news are grossly misled and misguiding! I have personally seen Mrs. Bateman with each child at each school and she is a pleasure to watch as she interacts with each student! I have even seen her interact with the child in question and he absolutely loves her! I would trust her whole heartedly with any member of my family!
It seems in times like these that the newspapers and tv news reporters are quick to jump on any storty without finding out all the facts! Remember as U.S. citizens we are all innocent and then PROVEN guilty!
I am strongly dissappointed in the Dailypress's lack of knowledge and over ambission to print such a horrible story about such a beautiful person before getting their facts together!
So many said the same thing about Scott Peterson until all the facts came out...Guess what? He killed Lacy and Connor!
WoWWoW

Newport News, VA

#30 Nov 27, 2007
I agree. We are only hearing one side of the story and that really isn't all the SUPPOSED details. If she has been charged and I believe that is what I read or heard on local news, then I would presume she has been advised by legal advisors not to say anything to anyone. Because it could jepoardize court outcomes. There have been comments on how this person could never have done this. They may be right under normal situations and normally. However, we don't know all the specifics, therefore we should not be judgemental until all the facts are out. I too think that there is more to this than what we've been told. The reporter, just like most of them, could have phrased the report differently so not to have convicted the instructor without proof. When one of my sons took Tae Kwon Do years ago as a youth, we(my wife or I)were there most of the time. He had a good instructor. However, if I thought he was getting carried away I would have said something. Were this students parents there? Why didn't they speak up? Why wait a week? The instructor needs to hang in there, and have faith. "It'll all come out in the wash".
High School Best Friend

United States

#32 Nov 27, 2007
It appears to me that Susan Bateman is getting a raw deal! I have known Susan my entire life and consider her one of my best friends and one of the kindest people I know. She is a devoted and caring mother. She would never hurt anyone and I stand by her 100%. It appears to me that the press has blown this ordeal out of proportion as they always do. Stand tough Sue!!!!
Karate Dad

United States

#33 Nov 27, 2007
First of all "CUTTING EDGE" you are an idiot!

I'll tell you what...the exercise of being in the pushup position and being motivated with a kick to the gut is the best exercise for your stomach. Bet half you FAT FARTS would cry like a baby just from the front leaning rest position. WAAAAA... Oh yeah and by the way...if Mrs. Bateman were to really kick you with her full force...you would know it right then and there.
Mother

United States

#34 Nov 27, 2007
Hmmm...where were the parents? This isn't day care you know. Some parents must have been there. If this were so brutal why didn't they stop it? I know that there is a clear glass partition at the school so anyone from the street can see into the dojo.
Comment Threader

United States

#35 Nov 27, 2007
"The incident occurred on Nov. 7, but wasn't reported until Nov. 14, when one of the students told his parents because he needed medical treatment."

WHAT? If your Rib is broken or cracked you can barely breath! NO WAY you can wait 7 days...no way! Bet the Parents of this 11 year old beat up their child and tried to blame it on the Batemans!
Kick Boy

United States

#36 Nov 27, 2007
Way to go DP...Great...now I have to find a new Karate school...thanks for nothing!
LOL

Newport News, VA

#37 Nov 27, 2007
Karate is a rough sport, so if you don't like go dawn some soccer shorts. Probably an Urban Legend.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Karate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Karate versus tae kwon do: The similarities and... Apr '17 Clark 1
News They know kung fu (Sep '09) Mar '17 kungfubeliever 17
Sorcha McCorry (Feb '15) Nov '16 Nen80 4
News Golden girl Sorcha scoops world titles (Nov '10) Nov '16 PBKumite 14
News Sapulpa Karate Instructor Arrested For Alleged ... (May '10) Nov '16 Alvin Boss 263
News Raiders Fan's Drunken Karate Exhibition Ends Wh... (Sep '16) Sep '16 RAIDER MISTERIO OG 10
News Naked man does bizarre pole dance complete with... (Sep '16) Sep '16 Parden Pard 13
More from around the web