What is karate?

What is karate?

There are 36 comments on the The Ukiah Daily Journal story from Jan 19, 2010, titled What is karate?. In it, The Ukiah Daily Journal reports that:

There seem to be many misconceptions about "What is karate?" in the editorial section lately.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Ukiah Daily Journal.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jacques Thomet 7 DAN

Seffner, FL

#21 Feb 12, 2010
magnum force wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Grasshopper, I guess they don't teach humility in Karate, or at least you skipped that class.
--

Since I am in this country I meet only arrogance and rudeness and specialy philosophers and just few practitioners?

So many people talk like you and no one come !blah..blah..blah..blah.
Jacques Thomet 7 DAN

Seffner, FL

#22 Feb 12, 2010
leonelli tsmma wrote:
<quoted text>U r sofa king re tar Ted. If you dare come to tsmma Elmwood NJ head quarters ask for Sensei Leonelli
--

Who is leonelli no clue.?????????
It is from Japan perhaps ?! again blah..blah..blah..
I read so many trash from so many people why>??????????
And negativity for doing it exercices in the USA.......unbelievable! All my DVD are coming from Japan or Europe ! When I watch dvd U.S. I say oh NO, what the heck is that?
Magum force

Mill Valley, CA

#23 Feb 12, 2010
Jacques Thomet 7 DAN wrote:
<quoted text>--
Since I am in this country I meet only arrogance and rudeness and specialy philosophers and just few practitioners?
So many people talk like you and no one come !blah..blah..blah..blah.
Thank goodness they don't talk like you or nobody would understand.
Jacques Thomet 7 DAN

Seffner, FL

#24 Feb 13, 2010
[QUOTE who="Magum force = what the heck force means?"]<quoted text>
Thank goodness they don't talk like you or nobody would understand.[/QUOTE]---

make an effort for understand the practical way that is not for philosophers but for who do martial arts ths others who cares!
Talking trash or being a philosophers it are not interesting to me!
I repeat myself again come in my dojo the we will see what you are able to do ..........ahahaha! Mister talker!
magnum force

Mill Valley, CA

#25 Feb 13, 2010
Jacques Thomet 7 DAN wrote:
<quoted text>---
make an effort for understand the practical way that is not for philosophers but for who do martial arts ths others who cares!
Talking trash or being a philosophers it are not interesting to me!
I repeat myself again come in my dojo the we will see what you are able to do ..........ahahaha! Mister talker!
Are you gay? You sure talk gay, look gay, and act gay.
Jacques Thomet 7 DAN

Seffner, FL

#26 Feb 14, 2010
magnum force wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you gay? You sure talk gay, look gay, and act gay.
--

You really are out of your mind !
I hope you can't find a dojo because who want you? Mega-Idiot !

But away what really is your own problem ( magnum weak !!!!
MEGA GALACTIC RETARDED .....John Wayne you are!
Go enrolling yourself to the navy that can teach you discipline & respect what you need....oh yes.

Before to critic some one you better know the people! Mega-Idiot!
NO LOVE

United States

#27 Feb 14, 2010
Hey Magnum why don't you come to my Dojo because you have no respect I will teach yoou some manners I looked up Thomet Sensei and he Like Tobin Sensei are legit. And your thrash talking is very bad you do need to learn respect and manners.
Magnum force

Mill Valley, CA

#28 Feb 14, 2010
NO LOVE wrote:
Hey Magnum why don't you come to my Dojo because you have no respect I will teach yoou some manners I looked up Thomet Sensei and he Like Tobin Sensei are legit. And your thrash talking is very bad you do need to learn respect and manners.
You guys are amazing! It is so easy to push your buttons. The true Master's sit back quietly and then there are guys like you and the other Grasshopper that get all worked up and want to beat me up. I always thought Karate was for self defense and the first Karate move is to run away and if cornered you use it. But you ego maniacs want to kick respect into me. Chill and laugh it off, the insults were just for fun to see how worked up I could get you guys. Now go break a brick or something.
NO LOVE

United States

#29 Feb 14, 2010
Magnum force wrote:
<quoted text>
You guys are amazing! It is so easy to push your buttons. The true Master's sit back quietly and then there are guys like you and the other Grasshopper that get all worked up and want to beat me up. I always thought Karate was for self defense and the first Karate move is to run away and if cornered you use it. But you ego maniacs want to kick respect into me. Chill and laugh it off, the insults were just for fun to see how worked up I could get you guys. Now go break a brick or something.
Karate is not to run away you have thrown the first attack with your words just like most you sit at home and stir the pot you think this is funny we don't.And all I said was you need to learn manners I at no time said I was going to beat you up this was your words.If you come to my dojo you will learn real karate and what it is really about,but I dought I will ever see an internet pot stirer
Jane Doe

United States

#30 Feb 14, 2010
NO LOVE wrote:
<quoted text>
Has anyone proven him wrong? I don't think so, Tobin sensei is the most qualified to speak on the subject has more knowlege of Karate then anyone around.
and besides the kids and parents love him, and they'll kick your a** any day of the week
Jacques Thomet 7 DAN

Seffner, FL

#31 Feb 15, 2010
NO LOVE wrote:
--

When is true speech here you go by criticism.........Manners what the heck is that in USA with so much teens ego .....LOL or ahahahah!
For read trash I am on the right country. And I received already so much trash on the mail box every days.
Now for 2010 a new martial arts is on! put your opponent Knock out with out touch...loving trash oh yes that is really good for born U.S. people ready for your stupids concepts. Mommy this guy he hurt me.....How you call that( me trash.
shadow

Montgomery, AL

#32 Feb 20, 2010
what is karate?
the dane cook of martial arts.
Jacques Thomet 7 DAN

Seffner, FL

#33 Feb 21, 2010
shadow wrote:
what is karate?
the dane cook of martial arts.
--
For know it karate you to go to the S.K.I.F- USA or The UKAI-USA.
all the rest I don't know little bit slopy.
And who practice that( KIDS) naaahhh!
Adults I don't know......
It is better coming in the USA for doing it vacation if your job is Instructor of karatedo really...!
People here haved a dedication for sex, not for sports!
Many people doesn't like me because I speak the true.
But isn't a free country with free speech.
Wu-Su Wizard

New York, NY

#34 May 12, 2011
What is Karate? Karate is very basic Kung Fu. During the cultural exchange between China and Japan in the Tang dynasty. The exchange between both countries lasted a duration of only eight months. Not only martial arts were taught but music, food, culture, religion, art, etc... In regards to the martial arts only basic kung Fu was taught. Consequently, only so much knowledge could be exchanged in such a short period of time.
uncle tom part 3

Seffner, FL

#35 May 13, 2011
What is karate a kindergaten today for kids.
Wu-Su Wizard

New York, NY

#36 May 13, 2011
Uncle Tom part 3 you have a very good point. A large number of Karate schools have after school programs which by the way is very good. It keeps the very young with something constructive to do and parents get a little break. The martial arts are great for youth of all ages. They teach discipline, confidence, concentration, focus, purpose, and many other positive things. I agree with all of this because it is all positive and builds character. What I do not agree with is that many karate school award black belts after a two year period to many of these preteen children. This gives them a false sense of reality. Most traditional schools do not issue high ranks to anyone less than 16 years of age. School owners and operators please make note of this harsh reality. Do not give your young students a false sense in the face of a real situation. train them well

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Karate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Macungie martial arts instructor charged with i... (Sep '11) May '16 Law guy 5
News Karate ace calls time on glittering career (Apr '13) May '16 Steve 8
Cambridge News published 20 questions with Nato... (May '15) May '16 Steve 3
Sorcha McCorry (Feb '15) Mar '16 PBKumite 3
News Golden girl Sorcha scoops world titles (Nov '10) Mar '16 PBKumite 13
News They know kung fu (Sep '09) Jan '16 wing chun guys 14
bruce lee vs jackie chan and bruce lee vs jet li (Dec '15) Dec '15 amaan qadri 1
More from around the web