What is karate?

There seem to be many misconceptions about "What is karate?" in the editorial section lately. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Really

Petaluma, CA

#1 Jan 19, 2010
Mike, you forgot the point that you can get a black belt in less than three years, and have no fighting skill what so ever. You can always do kata's to fend your attackers away. To each there own, but using the newspaper as advertisement for free, is rule one of markerting 101.
LOCAL TRUCKER

San Leandro, CA

#2 Jan 19, 2010
Maybe it is more about the style and choice, you choose your style ,we choose ours.Some styles remain the same and never change,but some choose to adapt to modern society, sounds like both choices work for you and I.
Martial Artist

Richmond, CA

#3 Jan 21, 2010
Your feeble attempt at defining a thing as complex as all the different varieties of Karate is clearly a shamely sales pitch aimed at the ignorent.
Native

Ukiah, CA

#4 Jan 21, 2010
Go-Ju = empty hand.
Mike Tobin

AOL

#5 Jan 22, 2010
If you "really" wish to continue your argument for your ignorance, you have my name - call me or email me at mactobin@aol.com (mike tobin). PSA are mandated hence my sports and community section entires. I recieve no money, have 800 children in 14 programs with 200 volunteers county wide. I donate 700 to 1000 hours a year. Bunkai is the self-defense inside the kata - it is where kenpo (fist/law) is derived from. I am sorry your instructor did not adequately train you on kata and bunkai. As far as "fighting" I am retired military (30 years) with over 12 years L.E. street experience. My last "fight" was Sunday night against an attempt murder suspect - I won. See the newspaper article. As for Goju - it means hard soft not empty hand. I studied it in the early eighties overseas. My greatest respect to and for Grandmaster Chojun Miyagi. Nice try.
Mike Tobin

AOL

#6 Jan 22, 2010
You can also call yourself "professor, instructor, teacher" with no degree or fightng skill. You can move from place to place and hide your lineage when it is negative. You can be a criminal and still run a martial arts school (G0 figure). You can "buy" rank and status from a magazine or black belt laundring style. Okinawan Karate saying: The belt does not make the man, the man makes the belt. If you think a piece of material makes you fighter - you are ignorant and dangerous to your students. But, if you are serious about the "fighting" thing the military is hiring (Rangers, Seals, Beret) or local Law Enforcement. Or, you could try the MMA, but they have tap-out rules too. You can't tap-out of a real fight or altercation.
Mike Tobin

AOL

#7 Jan 22, 2010
Karate is simple and it is not complex. Anyone can do it. Americans have attempt to "intellectualize" karate for profit. Drag out rank requirements for profit. Alter karate for profit etc. There is no first attack in karate - hence in reality fighting is not a necessary part of karate. Practice, practice, practice as in any art. Why do you people hide and not list your names or crendentials? It further shows your lack of understanding of the arguments you present. I wish you luck - even "Hitler" had believers. Did not make them right, just made them believers. Don't drink the kool aide. Breaking boards on children - Wow, now that's real fighting.
Down With The Sickness

Ukiah, CA

#8 Jan 25, 2010
Mike you hitten the bottle again you sure are full of yourself.
Jacques Thomet 7 DAN

Tampa, FL

#9 Jan 26, 2010
So much opinion for talking about karate and no one know really what's that??
Every one know in a big philosopher what is that and reading book. But to the dojo I see so much no one practicing adults? Only for kids...Why because again people in this nation are so much undevelope about sports in generaly...The fault coming from parents by idiots concepts an that become evil to try the physical contact. And that is so sad ,( see negative.
Returning back from Europe is like coming in vacation if your job is to being Intructor certified by japanses instructor like Kanazawa's Kancho.
NO LOVE

Petaluma, CA

#10 Jan 27, 2010
Down With The Sickness wrote:
Mike you hitten the bottle again you sure are full of yourself.
Has anyone proven him wrong? I don't think so, Tobin sensei is the most qualified to speak on the subject has more knowlege of Karate then anyone around.
What

Oakland, CA

#11 Jan 27, 2010
Yeah right, Karate or whatever Tobin does is only useful in a controlled environment with a referee scoring points for lame kicks. If Karate is so great Mr. Tobin, why isn't there any success in a true fighting arena such as UFC?
Condom Nation

San Pablo, CA

#12 Jan 27, 2010
Speak softly and carry a big gun. Works for me...better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6!
NO LOVE

Ukiah, CA

#13 Jan 28, 2010
What wrote:
Yeah right, Karate or whatever Tobin does is only useful in a controlled environment with a referee scoring points for lame kicks. If Karate is so great Mr. Tobin, why isn't there any success in a true fighting arena such as UFC?
Tobin Sensei does not train for sport the ufc is a sport with rules Karate is taught as sel defense and yes there is I belive Machita is a black belt in shotokan. You need to remenber a "true fighting arena " is not in a cage with rules.
Jacques Thomet 7 DAN

Tampa, FL

#14 Jan 28, 2010
OPINION IN THIS OUNTRY IS COUNTED LIKE HAVED TO MUCH TEENS EGO. EVERY ONE AS THIS STATMENT A RIGHT AND NEVER WRONG THAT EGO MANIA WITH OUT KNOWING REALLY WHAT'S GO IN ON ....ALL THE REST BLAH..BLAH...TALK THE TALK AND NEVER WALK ONE STEP.
PHILOSOPHERS IN THIS COUNTRY IS IN ON THAT'S IT! AND + A BIG OPINION AFTER WATCHING TV.
ALL THIS PEOPLE WHO IS SUPPORT UFC OR MMA ARE GOING DOING IT THIS SPORT ?????????? or not? so shut up! please.

I haved watching last week in TV UFC fighting ???
A pain on the neck really..like kids. why in the cage? I did that long ago in the street. But today is calling UFC for idiots and back ago trouble in the street the rules was simples (no rules) then will haved see how much this people was so good!

!- rule were: if you can proved really good you will stand again. Go to the Bronx NY then will see!
2- rule you are going in hospital that's it!
I have almost forget : no gloves & no teeth guard!
And if you haved your teeth broaken or your nose it was your fault!
A MAN OR GROWN MAN CRY???
leonelli tsmma

Kings Park, NY

#15 Feb 6, 2010
Jacques Thomet 7 DAN wrote:
OPINION IN THIS OUNTRY IS COUNTED LIKE HAVED TO MUCH TEENS EGO. EVERY ONE AS THIS STATMENT A RIGHT AND NEVER WRONG THAT EGO MANIA WITH OUT KNOWING REALLY WHAT'S GO IN ON ....ALL THE REST BLAH..BLAH...TALK THE TALK AND NEVER WALK ONE STEP.
PHILOSOPHERS IN THIS COUNTRY IS IN ON THAT'S IT! AND + A BIG OPINION AFTER WATCHING TV.
ALL THIS PEOPLE WHO IS SUPPORT UFC OR MMA ARE GOING DOING IT THIS SPORT ?????????? or not? so shut up! please.
I haved watching last week in TV UFC fighting ???
A pain on the neck really..like kids. why in the cage? I did that long ago in the street. But today is calling UFC for idiots and back ago trouble in the street the rules was simples (no rules) then will haved see how much this people was so good!
!- rule were: if you can proved really good you will stand again. Go to the Bronx NY then will see!
2- rule you are going in hospital that's it!
I have almost forget : no gloves & no teeth guard!
And if you haved your teeth broaken or your nose it was your fault!
A MAN OR GROWN MAN CRY???
If your Karate is as good as your English then it's safe to say you suck.
Jacques Thomet 7 DAN

Tampa, FL

#16 Feb 6, 2010
leonelli tsmma wrote:
<quoted text>If your Karate is as good as your English then it's safe to say you suck.
--

YOU TO YOU KNOW.! Stupid.
Jacques Thomet 7 DAN

Tampa, FL

#17 Feb 6, 2010
If eventually you want know how much I am very good in martial arts look (UKAI of Florida) and find me press on it of my picture and read if you know reading!
Then you are the very Welcome in my dojo.
But is only for 18 years old and up. No baby sitting.
My first Late O-Sensei was Kase T. for 15 yrs.
My seconde was O-Sensei Nanbu Y. 12 yrs.
My third was Sensei Miura 10 yrs.
And so many fights single.
3x Worldwide Champion full contact karate no protections. All the rest is for baby.
Jacques Thomet 7 DAN

Tampa, FL

#18 Feb 10, 2010
leonelli tsmma wrote:
<quoted text>If your Karate is as good as your English then it's safe to say you suck.
--

If you are not stupid ask in NJ Sensei S. Lopresti or Sensei R.Romano etc.....etc...he will tell you who I am .
I am part of the UKAI in NJ. Union karate Association International and UKAI of Fla look the google under Jacques Thomet, press on picture it is so eazy .Then you will know!
Then very welcome in my dojo, I teach only adults ! no baby sitting.
magnum force

Alameda, CA

#19 Feb 11, 2010
<quoted text>--
If you are not stupid ask in NJ Sensei S. Lopresti or Sensei R.Romano etc.....etc...he will tell you who I am .
I am part of the UKAI in NJ. Union karate Association International and UKAI of Fla look the google under Jacques Thomet, press on picture it is so eazy .Then you will know!
Hey Grasshopper, I guess they don't teach humility in Karate, or at least you skipped that class.
leonelli tsmma

West Islip, NY

#20 Feb 12, 2010
<quoted text>--
U r sofa king re tar Ted. If you dare come to tsmma Elmwood NJ head quarters ask for Sensei Leonelli

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Karate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pollet's students win fists full of medals at w... Dec 5 Jason 1
The average undergrad getting an online degree ... Dec 1 Gerald Vonberger 1
See Google Robot's 'Karate Kid' Moves Nov '14 diibadaaba55 1
Martial Arts expert from Gujarat in city (Feb '10) Nov '14 paresh 4
Dojo to celebrate grand opening Saturday (Oct '09) Sep '14 True GrandMaster 27
They know kung fu (Sep '09) Sep '14 HELLO 12
Golden girl Sorcha scoops world titles (Nov '10) Jul '14 Anonymous 10
More from around the web