Wine Thrives in Muslim Morocco

Wine Thrives in Muslim Morocco

There are 6 comments on the news.yahoo.com story from Apr 5, 2009, titled Wine Thrives in Muslim Morocco. In it, news.yahoo.com reports that:

MEKNES, Morocco – The gently rolling hills planted thick with vineyards are an unlikely sight for a Muslim country partly set in the deserts and palms of North Africa. Yet the grapes, and the wine they produce, are thriving in Morocco despite Islam's ban on alcohol consumption.

Morocco has become one of the largest winemakers in the Muslim world, with the equivalent of 35 million bottles produced last year. Wine brings the state millions in sales tax, even though Islam appears to be on the rise politically.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at news.yahoo.com.

Matthew

River Grove, IL

#1 Apr 6, 2009
Since Morocco is a former French colony I would bet that its wine is actually pretty good.
Brenda

Bellingham, WA

#2 Apr 6, 2009
Matthew wrote:
Since Morocco is a former French colony I would bet that its wine is actually pretty good.
I was in Morocco for a month and sampled some of the most expensive wine and some of the cheap wine offered. I must personally say that the cheap wine for 33 DHMs was the best over all,White or Red.
Eighthman

West Chester, PA

#3 Apr 6, 2009
I'll try some. Eighthman likey wine.

“PROUD INFIDEL”

Since: Nov 08

The Crusades got it right!

#4 Apr 6, 2009
I would try some too. An occasional glass of wine is good for you.
Eighthman

West Chester, PA

#5 Apr 6, 2009
It was a women who drove me to drink and I never had the courtesy to thank her for it.
Brenda

Bellingham, WA

#6 Apr 8, 2009
Eightman
Come on! No one has power over you unless you give it to them!Besides, wine in moderation is good for you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Meknes, Morocco Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Need help from someone living in Meknes (Aug '08) Aug '13 Bruce 4
News Olive Couscous Salad (Jul '13) Jul '13 Ha ha 2
News Morocco: HM the King Presides Over Opening of S... (Apr '13) Apr '13 jukain 1
News Kevin Richberg: 5 Must-See Places In Morocco (Jan '13) Jan '13 toursofpeace 2
News Morocco: In Meknes, a Devastating Accident (Mar '10) Sep '12 achid 2
News ProWorld Announces New Opportunities to Volunte... (Feb '12) Feb '12 volunteer abroad 1
finding friend (Aug '11) Aug '11 eve 2
More from around the web