Despite Islamic ban on drinking alcohol, Morocco's wine industr...

Full story: Newsday

The gently rolling hills planted thick with vineyards are an unlikely sight for a Muslim country partly set in the deserts and palms of North Africa.
Comments
1 - 20 of 50 Comments Last updated Sep 5, 2009
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Think About It

Staten Island, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2009

Judged:

The wine sounds delicious. I will look for Moroccan wine at my local liquor store.
The Idaho Kid

Idaho Falls, ID

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2009

Judged:

Islam the most hypocritical of religions, they are all hypocritical, but Islam is the most hypocritical...
Alley Anklebar
Casual Observer

Kulpsville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2009

Judged:

The Idaho Kid wrote:
Islam the most hypocritical of religions, they are all hypocritical, but Islam is the most hypocritical...
Alley Anklebar
LOL, sure, name any christian who obeys even HALF of the ten commandments...
rezasantorini

Skokie, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2009

Judged:

Casual Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
****, sure, name any christian who obeys even HALF of the ten commandments...
Again, Dumbo, this is not the issue. Many in many religions are not perfect in their practice...but in Islam breaking the Islamic laws also mean breaking the country laws.

This is not acceptable to me...

Maybe you just shouldn't be an American for you sure don't sound like one.
John

Elmont, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2009

I was in Morocco about nine years ago as part of a student tour and nightly, a group of us would embark on what we playfully described as: "The Hunt."
This consisted of canvassing every new city/town we came to with the sole purpose of finding out where we could buy some alcohol.
Understandably this was not always an easy task as some cities and towns were far more conservative than others. I remember clearly that once we'd gotten to Rabat--a fairly cosmopolitan city--it took us nearly an hour to find a shop that sold alcohol. This was mainly due to our search starting after dark when a good many shops were closed anyhow.
However, they did indeed have some "interesting" night-clubs in Morocco. Nearly all of them blaring outdated 80's tunes.
AhSalamiMeMakum

Glen Cove, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2009

Judged:

And you are the son of monkeys and pigs infidel crusader.
http://tinyurl.com/cgg8bz

“O'er the land of the free ? ”

Since: Jan 09

Don't Tread On Me

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2009

Judged:

Casual Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL, sure, name any christian who obeys even HALF of the ten commandments...
When the Islamic does something outside of his religion he points to the Christians.

That's mature.

“O'er the land of the free ? ”

Since: Jan 09

Don't Tread On Me

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2009

Judged:

John wrote:
I was in Morocco about nine years ago as part of a student tour and nightly, a group of us would embark on what we playfully described as: "The Hunt."
This consisted of canvassing every new city/town we came to with the sole purpose of finding out where we could buy some alcohol.
Understandably this was not always an easy task as some cities and towns were far more conservative than others. I remember clearly that once we'd gotten to Rabat--a fairly cosmopolitan city--it took us nearly an hour to find a shop that sold alcohol. This was mainly due to our search starting after dark when a good many shops were closed anyhow.
However, they did indeed have some "interesting" night-clubs in Morocco. Nearly all of them blaring outdated 80's tunes.
No hash or opium in Islamic Morocco ?
Honch

Nesconset, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2009

Judged:

I shaked my moroccos yesterday.
Morocco Mole would be proud.
Plus, Magnificent Muraco from wrestling... You don't think he would piledrive someone for doing this???

“I love my total freedom..do u?”

Since: Nov 08

Jellystone National Park.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2009

John wrote:
It was interesting to read your post after reading the article that said ...

**Hassan, a restaurant manager, who did not provide his last name, said he wasn't allowed a license to serve alcoholic drinks because he is Muslim. "But everyone knows we serve wine with our food," he said, pointing at the restaurant's patrons, both foreign and Moroccan, sipping their wine over dinner.

Another owner in Meknes, who also requested anonymity because of his practices, said he served wine in tinted glasses, kept bottles out of sight, and told clients to say they were drinking soft drinks if questioned. "Police rarely come, and if they do they never look inside the glass," he said.**

and this ** "Morocco is a country of tolerance," said Mehdi Bouchaara, the deputy general manager at the Celliers de Meknes, the country's largest winemaker, which bottles over 85 percent of national output. "It's everybody's personal choice whether to drink or not." **

A personal choice .... guess some muslims wont agree with that statement .. Oh well
Pete

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2009

Judged:

Christianity was once a barbaric religion, but then went through the Renaissance and progressed past the dark ages. When is Islam, once the leader of civilization, going to have their Renaissance?
Count LF Chudzikiewicz

Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2009

Iran had a huge wine industry except during periods like now of Islamic Mullah (religious leaders) Rule. Yes, the Arabian Peninsula (where Arabs come from like Israelis come from ISRAEL please note) has usually been alcohol-free, but NOT SPAIN, MORROCCO, TUNISIA, IRAN, TURKEY, Pakistan yes, but not the Moslems in parts of India, China, or Russia. The Iranians and hardlines of Hezbollah are really going AGAINST the Muslim history not with it
I say

Boca Raton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2009

Judged:

AhSalamiMeMakum wrote:
And you are the son of **** and pigs infidel crusader.
http://tinyurl.com/cgg8bz
What's the matter? Your camel die, and your not getting any lovin?
disciplinarian

Watseka, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2009

Honch wrote:
I shaked my moroccos yesterday.
Morocco Mole would be proud.
Plus, Magnificent Muraco from wrestling... You don't think he would piledrive someone for doing this???
Honch,I am quite puzzled by your reply, Magnificent Muraco was not from Morroco at all, he was from Malaysia! He was truly a champion wrestler! And also could drive a cement truck when times got tough! While I would not classify him as one of the all time greats, such as Ernie (the cat )Ladd, He was still quite impressive!
Casual Observer

Kulpsville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2009

Judged:

Pete wrote:
Christianity was once a barbaric religion, but then went through the Renaissance and progressed past the dark ages.
Well then, I guess the thousands of boys who have been raped by christian clergy should be grateful they were beyond those 'dark ages'.

They would have probably been killed after their rape sessions....

Christianity= leading the world in sexual abuse of children for 2000 years....
stringofsnot

Mineola, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2009

Judged:

What's the diff?...Comrad Obozo will ban alcohol in this country very soon. Isn't his middle name "Hussein"?

Since: Feb 08

Hypoluxo Fl

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2009

Judged:

AthiestOz wrote:
<quoted text>
It was interesting to read your post after reading the article that said ...
**Hassan, a restaurant manager, who did not provide his last name, said he wasn't allowed a license to serve alcoholic drinks because he is Muslim. "But everyone knows we serve wine with our food," he said, pointing at the restaurant's patrons, both foreign and Moroccan, sipping their wine over dinner.
Another owner in Meknes, who also requested anonymity because of his practices, said he served wine in tinted glasses, kept bottles out of sight, and told clients to say they were drinking soft drinks if questioned. "Police rarely come, and if they do they never look inside the glass," he said.**
and this ** "Morocco is a country of tolerance," said Mehdi Bouchaara, the deputy general manager at the Celliers de Meknes, the country's largest winemaker, which bottles over 85 percent of national output. "It's everybody's personal choice whether to drink or not." **
A personal choice .... guess some muslims wont agree with that statement .. Oh well
Yeah, they're tolerent enough to have a glass of wine while they stone a woman to death because getting raped is the woman's fault.

Since: Feb 08

Hypoluxo Fl

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2009

Judged:

Pete wrote:
Christianity was once a barbaric religion, but then went through the Renaissance and progressed past the dark ages. When is Islam, once the leader of civilization, going to have their Renaissance?
Priests cornholing alter boys was one hell of a Renaissance.
Pete

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2009

Judged:

Casual Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
Well then, I guess the thousands of boys who have been raped by christian clergy should be grateful they were beyond those 'dark ages'.
They would have probably been killed after their rape sessions....
Christianity= leading the world in sexual abuse of children for 2000 years....
Actually this happens a lot more in Islam, but it is not reported at all. Rape (of both men and women) is VERY common but unreported in Muslim societies mainly because the victim is presumed to be at fault.
Stephen Wozniak

Warsaw, Poland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2009

Judged:

You guys! don't forget that there is a black muslim elected recently by some of you! ya know what I mean?
Don't also be surprised! Morocco is a wonderland, and Alice was there for sure!
The Moroccan civilization has fonded by Berberes ( Imazighen) and the Jews but unfortunately destroyed by pan-Arabo propaganda.
just search in google for:
Street Food - Fez - 19 Dec 08 - Part 1
or click here:
&eu rl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ejourneyb eyondtravel%2Ecom%2Fnews%2Fmor occo%2Dtravel%2Fmorocco%2Ddune %2Dboarding%2Dsahara%2Ehtml &feature=player_embedded
PEACE and LOVE

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Meknes, Morocco Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Need help from someone living in Meknes (Aug '08) Aug '13 Bruce 4
Olive Couscous Salad (Jul '13) Jul '13 Ha ha 2
Morocco: HM the King Presides Over Opening of S... (Apr '13) Apr '13 jukain 1
Kevin Richberg: 5 Must-See Places In Morocco (Jan '13) Jan '13 toursofpeace 2
Morocco: In Meknes, a Devastating Accident (Mar '10) Sep '12 achid 2
ProWorld Announces New Opportunities to Volunte... (Feb '12) Feb '12 volunteer abroad 1
finding friend (Aug '11) Aug '11 eve 2

Search the Meknes, Morocco Forum:
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••