Morocco King on holiday as people consider revolt

Jan 30, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Free Republic

Discontent is ample in Morocco, the poorest, least developed North African nation, and many are inspired by developments in Egypt.

Comments
21 - 24 of 24 Comments Last updated Mar 22, 2011
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
JohnnyJ

Bluffton, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2011

My wife and I are traveling to Morocco in April and we're really looking forward to seeing this beautiful country and meeting its wonderful people. Friends wonder if we should take the trip considering all of the turmoil taking placing in Tunisia, Egypt and elsewhere. I think Morocco is uniquely different from these other countries, and while it has it's problems ( what country doesn't?)it seems the King has been trying to address them for a number of years and the majority of Moroccan people recognize his efforts. I hope this is the case and would appreciate comments to this post.
JohnnyJ

Bluffton, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2011

p.s. I found Damien's post of Feb 8 to be very helpful.
Burn

Casablanca, Morocco

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2011

"The poorest, least developed North African nation" Get your things straight before making those articles, you're making a joke of yourself.
MoroccanBelgico

Antwerpen, Belgium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2011

i am moroccan living in Europe,

and i think that the situation is not as bad as it seem

the country need reform, but the king is still open to dialogue, that's not the case with Gadafi or others morons dictators

the thing is that people should refrain to fall in the complete absurd cliche where everything is blamed on one person

when people complain about Morocco, they talk about corruption, but that's not something established by one person, that's a cultural and historical fact that established during time. Ireland had some huge corruption, as European Commission and USA, there is corruption wherever people have some power decision on huge amount of money, like health Budget...etc...

i agree there is a need to change but don't run like a bull without any direction

the change need to be established with a long term strategic economic decisions,

so they need to be done by people who understand the economy

there is no miracle pill, you can not have someone take the government right now and make the country a heaven within one year,
these change need time, we are talking 5 to 10 years, but they need to be well balanced

European countries is the best examples, do you know that the 12 western European countries are far from being equal and some have an increase in poverty due to poor economic choices

so it is better to learn from the experience of others countries that have successfully transited to a new more robust economy,

i studied the south Asian countries, and i think Morocco can learn a lot from countries like Malaysia, Singapore, Taiwan,...etc...

what need to be modified first would be to open the economy to Moroccan on an equal opportunity basis, a free market, and no more monopoly or Lobbying that affect the progress in the country

hope will see that while i'm still alive

we need to work all together with a pro-active and positive mindset to build a better morocco

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Casablanca, Morocco Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
muslim man seeking marriage (Dec '08) Jul '14 Looking for true ... 163
Is Morocco really ready for a mega mall? (Dec '11) May '14 mansg 9
Case shows hurdles in fighting Morocco corruption Mar '14 peter 1
Case shows hurdles in fighting Morocco corruption Mar '14 john 1
Trekking in morocco,tours in morocco,guided wal... (Apr '12) Mar '14 TREKKING tours M... 3
Kiwi caught up in Moroccan marriage con (Nov '13) Nov '13 supersonic boom 1
Morocco reduces jail for activists (Jan '13) Aug '13 recardo3000 4

Search the Casablanca, Morocco Forum:
•••