In Post-Gaddafi Libya, Islamists Are ...

In Post-Gaddafi Libya, Islamists Are Rising in Influence

There are 23 comments on the Time story from Mar 30, 2012, titled In Post-Gaddafi Libya, Islamists Are Rising in Influence. In it, Time reports that:

Abdel Hakim al-Hassadi seems unperturbed by the fact that someone blew up his car last night.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Time.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
UNREAL

San Diego, CA

#1 Mar 30, 2012
Are these Islamists now going to take over Libya?
Carlos

Rio De Janeiro, Brazil

#2 Mar 31, 2012
UNREAL wrote:
xD, thx you and NATO. Yes, they used your tax money to support Al Qaeda against Gaddafi! Those liers about Gaddaffi bering an evil terrorists? It will be very true about the New Libya you are helping to built: an Al Qaeda stronghol just next Europe and Israel!
Carlos

Rio De Janeiro, Brazil

#3 Mar 31, 2012
"After decades of destruction, it's impossible to change in a few hours or even a few years..."
Abdel Hakim al-Hassadi.

Al-Hassadi spent years fighting on the side of the Taliban in Afghanistan, he said Jamahyria was decades of destroction - xD, make my day... this shows the completly nonsence people say about Libya nowandays!!!!! Jamahyria built cities, piped water, schools, Hospitals, the best standard of living and welfare in Africa. Decades of destruction is beginning just now in Libya by arab wahhabism and european imperialism.
Observer

Tripoli, Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

#4 Mar 31, 2012
Carlos wrote:
"After decades of destruction, it's impossible to change in a few hours or even a few years..."
Abdel Hakim al-Hassadi.
Al-Hassadi spent years fighting on the side of the Taliban in Afghanistan, he said Jamahyria was decades of destroction - xD, make my day... this shows the completly nonsence people say about Libya nowandays!!!!! Jamahyria built cities, piped water, schools, Hospitals, the best standard of living and welfare in Africa. Decades of destruction is beginning just now in Libya by arab wahhabism and european imperialism.
cheep old lies and crap worth nothing
Joshua

Geneve, Switzerland

#5 Mar 31, 2012
After deliberation of Libya there is peace an order.I have not seen that anybody was killed.
Mike

Elgin, TX

#6 Mar 31, 2012
Carlos wrote:
<quoted text>
xD, thx you and NATO. Yes, they used your tax money to support Al Qaeda against Gaddafi! Those liers about Gaddaffi bering an evil terrorists? It will be very true about the New Libya you are helping to built: an Al Qaeda stronghol just next Europe and Israel!
"Al Qaeda" is just another instrument of U.S. foreign policy. It is the CIA's foreign legion, playing "bad cop" in some places so that the U.S. military has an excuse for aggression and occupation (and the establishment of military bases from which to launch future wars).

In places like Libya and Bosnia and Chechnya, apparently there isn't a need for the "good cop/bad cop" theater. The U.S. directly opens doors for "al Qaeda."
Mike

Elgin, TX

#7 Mar 31, 2012
Joshua wrote:
After deliberation of Libya there is peace an order.I have not seen that anybody was killed.
From just this week:

"Dozens killed in violence in Libya’s south"
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/dozens-ki...
George

Red Deer, Canada

#8 Mar 31, 2012
Carlos wrote:
<quoted text>
Carlos, you criticize everyone else but what about this article::

BRASILIA, Brazil — Brazil’s Supreme Court says it will hear a slave labor case filed against a congressman.

The high court said on its website Friday that it will rule on the charges filed by the federal prosecutor’s office against congressman Joao Lyra. He allegedly submitted more than 50 workers to slave-like conditions on his sugar cane plantation in the northeastern state of Alagoas.

Comments

Weigh In
Corrections?

Personal Post

As a congressman, Lyra can only be tried by Brazil’s highest court.

The statement says 56 workers were found on Lyra’s plantation working 12 hours a day with no days off and living in “subhuman” conditions.

Lyra has said the workers were never stopped from leaving his property.

The court has not set a date to begin hearing the case against Lyra.

Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Email
Tumblr
Reddit
Stumbleupon
Digg
Delicious

Discussion Policy | FAQ | About Discussions

Comments
Add your comment
Read about the changes to comment thread appearance, moderation.

Read what others are sayingAbout Badges
Top Comments (0)
All Comments (0)

Sort Comments: Newest to OldestOldest to NewestMost Recommended

Pause loading new comments

No Top Comments are available at the moment. View all Comments.

Comments our editors find particularly useful or relevant are displayed in Top Comments, as are comments by users with these badges: Post Forum, World Watcher. Replies to those posts appear here, as well as posts by staff writers.

I do not hear you say anything about it or is this acceptible to you.
Observer

Tripoli, Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

#9 Mar 31, 2012
Mike wrote:
<quoted text>
From just this week:
"Dozens killed in violence in Libya’s south"
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/dozens-ki...
SO......,where's your imput?

Since: Jul 11

Berlin, Germany

#10 Mar 31, 2012
George wrote:
<quoted text>
Carlos, you criticize everyone else but what about this article::
BRASILIA, Brazil — Brazil’s Supreme Court says it will hear a slave labor case filed against a congressman.
The high court said on its website Friday that it will rule on the charges filed by the federal prosecutor’s office against congressman Joao Lyra. He allegedly submitted more than 50 workers to slave-like conditions on his sugar cane plantation in the northeastern state of Alagoas.
Comments
Weigh In
Corrections?
Personal Post
As a congressman, Lyra can only be tried by Brazil’s highest court.
The statement says 56 workers were found on Lyra’s plantation working 12 hours a day with no days off and living in “subhuman” conditions.
Lyra has said the workers were never stopped from leaving his property.
The court has not set a date to begin hearing the case against Lyra.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Email
Tumblr
Reddit
Stumbleupon
Digg
Delicious
Discussion Policy | FAQ | About Discussions
Comments
Add your comment
Read about the changes to comment thread appearance, moderation.
Read what others are sayingAbout Badges
Top Comments (0)
All Comments (0)
Sort Comments: Newest to OldestOldest to NewestMost Recommended
Pause loading new comments
No Top Comments are available at the moment. View all Comments.
Comments our editors find particularly useful or relevant are displayed in Top Comments, as are comments by users with these badges: Post Forum, World Watcher. Replies to those posts appear here, as well as posts by staff writers.
I do not hear you say anything about it or is this acceptible to you.
Slavery is wide spread in Brazil. It's just taken for granted there. But the slaves are still better off then the Amazonian Indians. They just kill them like one would exterminate rats.
George

Red Deer, Canada

#11 Mar 31, 2012
Mike wrote:
<quoted text>
"Al Qaeda" is just another instrument of U.S. foreign policy. It is the CIA's foreign legion, playing "bad cop" in some places so that the U.S. military has an excuse for aggression and occupation (and the establishment of military bases from which to launch future wars).
In places like Libya and Bosnia and Chechnya, apparently there isn't a need for the "good cop/bad cop" theater. The U.S. directly opens doors for "al Qaeda."
Ok, now go down to your local Representative, Governor or Senator and try to convince them of your evidence, it is so stupid they would enjoy a good laugh, in fact I would not say this opinion too loud as you would be the laughing stock of your town, oops you already are, well that is not the way to blend in

My goodness, where do these people keep coming from?????
Mike

United States

#12 Mar 31, 2012
George wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, now go down to your local Representative, Governor or Senator and try to convince them of your evidence, it is so stupid they would enjoy a good laugh, in fact I would not say this opinion too loud as you would be the laughing stock of your town, oops you already are, well that is not the way to blend in
My goodness, where do these people keep coming from?????
Thanks for the advice, George. I'll try that. I certainly have plenty of evidence.

By the way, George, that was an outstanding cut-and-paste job you did back there on post #8. Not sure what it has to do with the topic of conversation, though...
Mike

United States

#13 Mar 31, 2012
Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
SO......,where's your imput?
My input?

Let's see....

cheep old lies and crap worth nothing
Oh, wait, no that was your input. Here's my input:

For example, the U.S./NATO bombing of Libya opened the door for "al Qaeda" in Benghazi:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/afr...

George

Red Deer, Canada

#14 Mar 31, 2012
UNREAL wrote:
The Islamists already control Libya
George

Red Deer, Canada

#15 Mar 31, 2012
Mike wrote:
<quoted text>
My input?
Let's see....
<quoted text>
Oh, wait, no that was your input. Here's my input:
<quoted text>
For example, the U.S./NATO bombing of Libya opened the door for "al Qaeda" in Benghazi:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/afr...
I have seen that picture before but in a video. It was explain that these flags are not necessarily Al Qaeda but are blessed Muslim flags. I am not saying this one is, just saying that some reporters did not check out which is which.

You are right that in some areas around Benghazzi there is pockets of Al Qaeda so maybe....
Carlos

Rio De Janeiro, Brazil

#16 Apr 1, 2012
Joshua wrote:
I will assume you are being ironic xD

Berlin, Germany

#17 Apr 1, 2012
Mike wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the advice, George. I'll try that. I certainly have plenty of evidence...
If you have plenty of evidence then what the hell are you doing wasting your time posting comments here? There are enough people out there just waiting to get their hands on evidence like that. They'll make you an international hero. Oh, but of course, unfortunately you seem to have mislaid this "plenty of evidence" for the moment. Or maybe you gave it to someone, who's name you have forgotten, and are waiting for him to return it. Or maybe you have already tried showing this "plenty of evidence" and every time people mysteriously just fall over laughing about it.
George

Red Deer, Canada

#18 Apr 1, 2012
Mike wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the advice, George. I'll try that. I certainly have plenty of evidence.
By the way, George, that was an outstanding cut-and-paste job you did back there on post #8. Not sure what it has to do with the topic of conversation, though...
What it has to do with the conversation is that Carlos is continuously yapping in support of butchers and criticizing Americans, I wanted to know his opinion on Slavery in Brazil, just to see what he is made of and whether is opinion really is worth listening to.

Berlin, Germany

#19 Apr 1, 2012
George wrote:
<quoted text>
What it has to do with the conversation is that Carlos is continuously yapping in support of butchers and criticizing Americans, I wanted to know his opinion on Slavery in Brazil, just to see what he is made of and whether is opinion really is worth listening to.
He isn't worth listening too. It's okay for him to accuse NATO and the West of killing "thousands" of civilians in Libya without a shred of proof to show for it. But point out the indigenous Indians living in the Amazonas being killed off for their land and he goes ballistic. Mention the wide spread habit among the rich in Brazil of buying and keeping slaves and he hates it. Wanna see what it was like living in the dark ages? Just go have a look around in Brazil. The guy has double standards. A hypocrite simple as that. Forget him.
Mike

Elgin, TX

#21 Apr 1, 2012
George wrote:
<quoted text>
There are plenty of reasons to criticize U.S. foreign policy - including the fact that much "butchery" on this planet is currently being done by Americans and our allies. There is quite a bit of evidence indicating that Libya was much better off under Gaddafi than it is currently. The same is true of Iraq under Saddam. Certainly, both were more stable. And whereas Saddam and Gaddafi tolerated little violent "Islamist extremism" in their nations while they were in power, there is now a great deal of violence after the U.S. and allied unprovoked military interventions.

Unprovoked military interventions are the highest war crime, by the way.

You appear to be engaging in some kind of fallacious argumentation, attempting to shift the topic of conversation to something that may merit attention elsewhere but not on this thread.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Darnah, Libya Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News U.S. knew for years of Benghazi extremism (Dec '12) Dec '12 janet jacoby 1
News Libya Threatened By an Unknown Future (Feb '12) Feb '12 Mahmoud 3
News Libya experiencing fourth cross-desert conflict (Sep '11) Sep '11 Ndumiso 1
News Just Whom is the US backing in Libya? (Mar '11) Mar '11 MadMike 12
News Gadhafi said to lose his grip on key city (Feb '11) Feb '11 gjt 1
More from around the web