House passes bill allowing nurse-prac...

House passes bill allowing nurse-practitioners to write prescri...

There are 40 comments on the Lexington Herald-Leader story from Feb 17, 2006, titled House passes bill allowing nurse-practitioners to write prescri.... In it, Lexington Herald-Leader reports that:

The House gave final passage today to a bill that would let advanced registered nurse-practitioners prescribe drugs even though an Eastern Kentucky lawmaker warned that it would exacerbate a drug epidemic in ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lexington Herald-Leader.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
East KY RPh

Anderson, SC

#1 Feb 17, 2006
Representative Cornett is right...Allowing FNP's to write control substances is absurd...Access to these meds has been their push here in KY for years, but aren't they "controled" by Colaborative Care Agreements with MD's? IF this was so, then why can't they get ahold of the MD to authorize the Controled Rx when necessary. KY has just opened Pandora's box on controls...I guess we continue to tell ourselves that we have to be like everyone else...I am sorry for filling garbage like many control prescriptions for mysterious reasons, but they are legal prescriptions. I guess we can add more counties to the national Top 10 in Hydrocodone use...I believe we have 2 out of 10 now. Watch out for your kids...
Former Ky ARNP

Cleveland, TN

#2 Feb 17, 2006
East KY RPh wrote:
Representative Cornett is right...Allowing FNP's to write control substances is absurd...Access to these meds has been their push here in KY for years, but aren't they "controled" by Colaborative Care Agreements with MD's? IF this was so, then why can't they get ahold of the MD to authorize the Controled Rx when necessary. KY has just opened Pandora's box on controls...I guess we continue to tell ourselves that we have to be like everyone else...I am sorry for filling garbage like many control prescriptions for mysterious reasons, but they are legal prescriptions. I guess we can add more counties to the national Top 10 in Hydrocodone use...I believe we have 2 out of 10 now. Watch out for your kids...


I no longer live in Ky., but practiced ther as an ARNP for 10 years. What an absurd statement. I am sure there are NP's who would overprescribe just as there are MD's who do. I do not appreciate being being stereotyped in this manner just because I am a nurse rather than an MD. Who do you think started this problem by indiscriminately writing these prescriptions when NP'S weren't allowed to write them?
ky-kruser

Falcon, KY

#3 Feb 19, 2006
I like going to the NP because it is less crowded and most ailments can be taken care of. It is time we quit thinking of everyone that goes to a doctor or NP as a drug addict. I suppose I could take a Liberal view here and say OK, lets kill all the pharmacists, doctors, and why not throw in the lawyers here as well to really clean things up. That would definately take care of the drug problem.
MCC

Little Rock, AR

#4 Feb 20, 2006
As a safety precaution, senate bill 65 requires Nurse Practitioners to get a Doctors OK before writing a prescriptitions for schedule 2 medications. Rural Areas need this to get the health care they deserve.
It would help to look beyond the end of your nose.
brb

Lexington, KY

#5 Mar 1, 2006
ky-kruser wrote:
I like going to the NP because it is less crowded and most ailments can be taken care of. It is time we quit thinking of everyone that goes to a doctor or NP as a drug addict. I suppose I could take a Liberal view here and say OK, lets kill all the pharmacists, doctors, and why not throw in the lawyers here as well to really clean things up. That would definately take care of the drug problem.
I, for one, wish that a NP could write prescriptions or should I say would. I am not an addict, but a person who would appreciate some relief from the pain every now and then. It is so difficult to get even a doctor to write a real prescription for you around here. It's enough to make you want to do the unmentionable. Like my uncle a few years ago, I think about suicide at times, because my pain is so overwhelming. To find a doctor that would deal with my pain instead of thinking I'm just another addict trying to get some pills, would be such a relief.
Brian

London, KY

#6 Mar 1, 2006
My question, and I ask this due to I am not an expert.. But isnt Schedule 2 Federal controled by the FDA? So whouldnt they have the final say in who can write those?
Brian

London, KY

#7 Mar 1, 2006
brb wrote:
<quoted text>

I, for one, wish that a NP could write prescriptions or should I say would. I am not an addict, but a person who would appreciate some relief from the pain every now and then. It is so difficult to get even a doctor to write a real prescription for you around here. It's enough to make you want to do the unmentionable. Like my uncle a few years ago, I think about suicide at times, because my pain is so overwhelming. To find a doctor that would deal with my pain instead of thinking I'm just another addict trying to get some pills, would be such a relief.
Just remember brb that suicide is never the answer.. And I understand that sometimes doctors dont give out schedule 2 due to people that need it, I guess they are afraid of being checked on by the FDA. Me myself, I have a very high threashold of pain so I am lucky there. But I do understand what you are saying, but remember the human mind does have alittle to do with pain control. I am not saying your not really hurting, but maybe with meditation, and such you might be able to get the suicide thoughts out of your mind, until you find a doctor that will listen and help you.. I mean no disrespect by any means in this post.
Concerned with ignorance

Belfast, TN

#8 Mar 6, 2006
I believe you have not informed yourself on this issue before commenting. There will not be more prescriptions of "controlled substances" now that ARNPs can write them. They will just be writing them instead of the doctor. I would also like you to consider this scenario. Imagine you go to an urgent treatment center with chest pain and the only person for you to see there is an ARNP. He/she concludes that you are having a heart attack, but they can't give you morphine to help with it because they don't have prescriptive authority. You will just have to wait until EMS arrives to have any relief. You could die because ARNPs didn't have more autonomy over their profession. This law will also decrease costs to patients who had to have repeat visits to the office because the doctor wasn't there to sign the prescription. This law will provide more accurate and competent care for everyone seen by an ARNP. Also, if you looked at the ammendments to the bill, they are only allowed to prescribe the substances for 72 hours. These will not be continuous prescriptions. Children will be just as safe after this bill passed as they are now. Please fully educate yourself before making a blunt statement.
Medicine Man

AOL

#9 Mar 9, 2006
ARNP have already demonstarted their ability to Rx and administer potent drugs SAFELY when necessary. The few states that don't allow ARNP's to Rx controlled substances need to rethink their attitudes towards healthcare. Most RN's thru their hospital experience have extensive 1st-hand experience with controlled substances. I think this all just a big "control" issue. Research have demonstrated that ARNP's quality of care meets or exceeds that delivered by MD/DO's. The argument that there will be more precribers of controlled substances and therefor more abuse is a rediculous position. Making more automobiles will increase the number of automobile accidents...lol..how about increasing the number of people that wear seatbelts.
credit where it is due

AOL

#10 Mar 9, 2006
I think allowing ARNP to Rx controlled substances will decrease the abuse because they emphasize education and spend more time with their patients. If there is a drug problem in Kentucky then you can only blame those who have traditionally held the prescriptive authority, i.e., the MD's.
concerned

Elizabethtown, KY

#11 Mar 27, 2006
credit where it is due wrote:
I think allowing ARNP to Rx controlled substances will decrease the abuse because they emphasize education and spend more time with their patients. If there is a drug problem in Kentucky then you can only blame those who have traditionally held the prescriptive authority, i.e., the MD's.
I hope you are right but I work in the health care system and I truly believe that you are wrong. I believe that Frankfort has made a terible mistake. Yes most practioners will be ok but there are literally hundreds of practioners. If there is only the same percentage of practioners as doctors who abuse the privelage then the number of people prescribed controled substances will mutiply by 5-10 times. The health care system is already overwhelmed. The police will just have to throw their hands in the air. There resources are streached to the limit the way it is. The court system is already overtaxed. I fear that we all will pay dearly for this mistake. The gentleman from Eastern Kentucky, I fear, is right.
MCC

Little Rock, AR

#12 Mar 28, 2006
I have to say this one more time. As a safety precaution, senate bill 65 requires Nurse Practitioners to get a Doctors OK before writing prescriptitions for schedule 2 medications.
The Doctor gives the final Say.
E Nordman

Cincinnati, OH

#13 Mar 31, 2006

I go to the VA,I see an NP.I think she
does a great job.
june

AOL

#14 Apr 11, 2006
Nurse parctitioner...Good job if you can get it.Do you know that it takes four years of college,a master's degree and at least two years med-school to be a NP.
AND REMEMBER . THE LIFE SHE SAVES MAY BE YOUR OWN.
Correction

Glendale, KY

#15 Apr 11, 2006
june wrote:
Nurse parctitioner...Good job if you can get it.Do you know that it takes four years of college,a master's degree and at least two years med-school to be a NP.
AND REMEMBER . THE LIFE SHE SAVES MAY BE YOUR OWN.
The NP's I know did not go to med school. Some went to a 4 year program and most went to a 5 year program. None went to med school.
Lonzo

United States

#16 Apr 12, 2006
For what it is worth,I've been sober for 7 years more or less ! when i was getting meds it didn't matter if it was a doctor or nurse who gave me my meds , i have to agree with those who said that it is a problem mass addiction most people start out smoking pot from thier it snownballs .On the other hand we need nurses when were sick to make the right choice . People will continue to have recreational problems as long as the commonwealth does sink money into programs that help our children get interested in skating rings & things of that nature . Pain pills wil always present problems they will now just be more available!!!
Far From Home

United States

#17 Apr 16, 2006
Giving the RNP the rights to write prescribe drugs isn't the problem, of keeping our children safe. Our children don't have anything to get involved in, that's close to home. They need a place to go that’s safe and fun. They need more after school programs that doesn’t cost a lot. The RNP are their, to help us not hurt us. I don’t think this will add to the addicts that are already out their.
Neighbor

Russell Springs, KY

#18 Apr 17, 2006
I agree with you. Take a look around in our community. About the only thing for our children is a movie theater and a bowling alley, and perhaps some children may not have the money to participate in these things. It would be nice for our children to have a few more choices. I also saw in a news program last week that some children get started using drugs by taking what is in the medicine cabinet at home.
Beth S

Wagoner, OK

#19 Apr 17, 2006
Far From Home wrote:
Giving the RNP the rights to write prescribe drugs isn't the problem, of keeping our children safe. Our children don't have anything to get involved in, that's close to home. They need a place to go that’s safe and fun. They need more after school programs that doesn’t cost a lot. The RNP are their, to help us not hurt us. I don’t think this will add to the addicts that are already out their.
I could not have said it better.
test

Israel

#20 Apr 26, 2006
test

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Louisville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trump for President, He will win. watch 3 hr Chuck 621
News 'You Got Family!' Accused murderer warns judge ... 3 hr Earl 13
Ford's pre-employment test (Aug '11) 4 hr been there done that 396
Jesus Christ is alive 5 hr Homestead 37
How do I join ISIS? 7 hr Heres How 6
Christopher Marion Winstead (Nov '15) 7 hr MissMandycomeCorrect 5
3rd party candidate's 12 hr Ghostly Hollow 2

Louisville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Louisville Mortgages