Stumbo's bill would target smokers in...

Stumbo's bill would target smokers in cars with children

There are 189 comments on the Lexington Herald-Leader story from Jan 12, 2011, titled Stumbo's bill would target smokers in cars with children. In it, Lexington Herald-Leader reports that:

Smoking in a vehicle where a child under 17 is present would be illegal under a bill filed by House Speaker Greg Stumbo.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lexington Herald-Leader.

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#118 Jan 31, 2012
sandy63 wrote:
One time i saw 3 young women smoking in a car with a baby in a carseat and the windows werent rolled down.A child should not be exposed to those toxins involuntarily,and smokers should think about their children's health,since they dont care about theirs and keep their vehicle smokefree.One more thing,i wish they wouldnt throw their butts out the window,mother earth isnt an ashtray.
Good for Greg.

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#119 Jan 31, 2012
Say What wrote:
There comes a point in time when, IF we are to remain FREE, we have to tell the GOVERNMENT to get the hell out of our lives!!!
It is people like you in our lives, blowing your posion in the air we have to inhale.
MeInUSA

Mount Sterling, KY

#120 Jan 31, 2012
Where in the hell does it end??? Our ancestors came to this country to get away from the government trying to tell them how to live. Slowly but surely we are getting just as bad. My parents and almost every parent at that time that I know of smoked around their children and I know of not one single person who has died or had cancer from second hand smoke. Are they really telling us the truth about second hand smoke? A show on the History Channel shows how they lied to Americans about pot and tried to brainwash Americans about pot, and there have been many other things, too.

It's getting harder and harder to live in heartless America. Soon we are all going to be walking around like robots with the government telling us how to live our lives and how to raise our children. This big obese bitch just told me I smelled horrible (like smoke) and it just bothered her so bad. I wanted to say her obesity hurt my eyes & she was an eyesore on this country. It would have been no ruder than she was to me. Wonder how she's going to feel when the government starts on her b/c she's so fat and ugly. No one used to ever complain about smoke. Many went into smoke filled bars without a single complaint. LOL! So why has it suddenly changed so drastically. The government certainly knows how to brainwash us. That's for sure.

Good luck for when they come after you for something. The old saying of they came for the Jews, but I was not a Jew, so I said nothing and went along with them, etc, will come to haunt many people in this country.

I say the government stay out of people's personal lives. Every time they try to do something about the drug problem, they end up making it worse. I say let those who want to take drugs take them. That will put all of the drug dealers out of business. They did this in Sweden or Switzerland, one, & it cut their crime rate down 80% & got rid of the drug dealers. People who are addicted to drugs have a sickness just like alcoholics. When these people could get their meds at the doctors' office, they were also exposed to ways of quitting & many did just that.

I could go on and on with examples of what a mess the government makes of things when they try to tell people how to live but I'm in a hurry. Just remember that our jails R so overcrowded they're letting murderers & sex offenders, etc, out & locking up ppl who are addicted to drugs & R sick. I watched a guy get thrown N jail b/c he was taking prescription pain pills with the levels being very low on his blood test, meaning he was taking his meds as prescribed. They had to keep him in the drunk tank for four days b/c they didn't have any room. Does anyone know how horrible the drunk tank is? Then we C ppl with cancer who R forced 2 go 2 these drug clinics & sit with all the drug dealers/addicts b/c their family physicians R afraid 2 give anybody any pain pills b/c of the government. Our doctors can no longer be doctors as they're supposed to be b/c of the government. Who would U rather have dealing with UR health? Doctors or our politicians in Frankfort/Washington. Come on, people, use your heads and think about these things. Every single thing the government sticks their noses in becomes nothing but a bigger mess. Let them stick to what they're supposed to do & stay out of our personal lives. They can't even run their own lives, let alone anyone elses.
The Truth

Bardstown, KY

#121 Jan 31, 2012
MeInUSA wrote:
Where in the hell does it end??? Our ancestors came to this country to get away from the government trying to tell them how to live. Slowly but surely we are getting just as bad. My parents and almost every parent at that time that I know of smoked around their children and I know of not one single person who has died or had cancer from second hand smoke. Are they really telling us the truth about second hand smoke? A show on the History Channel shows how they lied to Americans about pot and tried to brainwash Americans about pot, and there have been many other things, too.
It's getting harder and harder to live in heartless America. Soon we are all going to be walking around like robots with the government telling us how to live our lives and how to raise our children. This big obese bitch just told me I smelled horrible (like smoke) and it just bothered her so bad. I wanted to say her obesity hurt my eyes & she was an eyesore on this country. It would have been no ruder than she was to me. Wonder how she's going to feel when the government starts on her b/c she's so fat and ugly. No one used to ever complain about smoke. Many went into smoke filled bars without a single complaint. LOL! So why has it suddenly changed so drastically. The government certainly knows how to brainwash us. That's for sure.
Good luck for when they come after you for something. The old saying of they came for the Jews, but I was not a Jew, so I said nothing and went along with them, etc, will come to haunt many people in this country.
I say the government stay out of people's personal lives. Every time they try to do something about the drug problem, they end up making it worse. I say let those who want to take drugs take them. That will put all of the drug dealers out of business. They did this in Sweden or Switzerland, one, & it cut their crime rate down 80% & got rid of the drug dealers. People who are addicted to drugs have a sickness just like alcoholics. When these people could get their meds at the doctors' office, they were also exposed to ways of quitting & many did just that.
I could go on and on with examples of what a mess the government makes of things when they try to tell people how to live but I'm in a hurry. Just remember that our jails R so overcrowded they're letting murderers & sex offenders, etc, out & locking up ppl who are addicted to drugs & R sick. I watched a guy get thrown N jail b/c he was taking prescription pain pills with the levels being very low on his blood test, meaning he was taking his meds as prescribed. They had to keep him in the drunk tank for four days b/c they didn't have any room. Does anyone know how horrible the drunk tank is? Then we C ppl with cancer who R forced 2 go 2 these drug clinics & sit with all the drug dealers/addicts b/c their family physicians R afraid 2 give anybody any pain pills b/c of the government. Our doctors can no longer be doctors as they're supposed to be b/c of the government. Who would U rather have dealing with UR health? Doctors or our politicians in Frankfort/Washington. Come on, people, use your heads and think about these things. Every single thing the government sticks their noses in becomes nothing but a bigger mess. Let them stick to what they're supposed to do & stay out of our personal lives. They can't even run their own lives, let alone anyone elses.
AMEN!!! TRIMENDIOUS POST!!!
Say What

Bardstown, KY

#122 Jan 31, 2012
wtf of floyd county wrote:
<quoted text>It is people like you in our lives, blowing your posion in the air we have to inhale.
I don't smoke DUMMIE!! I am SICK and TIRED of the Government sticking their nose in EVERYTHING, PERIOD!!!
MeInUSA

Prestonsburg, KY

#123 Jan 31, 2012
The Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
AMEN!!! TRIMENDIOUS POST!!!
Thank you!!! I was so pissed off when I wrote that, and still am. I wonder how that lady that told me I smelled horrible would feel if I said something like, "Well, I would quit, but I don't want to become as obese as you are because I was miserable when I was fat like you." LOL! There is no difference whatsoever in me saying something like that and what she said. I can't quit smoking & she can't obviously quit eating. When I was way overweight, I had high blood pressure and was absolutely miserable. That's probably why she said something so rude. I mean, I wasn't smoking around her. I had just had a cigarette outside and she was talking about how awful I smelled. To beat it all, she had just quit smoking not long ago. Nothing worse than a reformed drinker, a reformed smoker & a reformed whore. Guess it's going to come to the point that smokers aren't even going to be allowed to walk in the presence of non-smokers. But there are so many closet smokers today. They allow these people to dictate to them & they hide it. There is no difference in parents allowing their children to become obese and smoking in front of your children. In fact, I would argue it is a hell of a lot more unhealthy for them to be obese. Of course, not long ago, they actually did take a child away from his parents because he was obese. So this is what America is coming to. All of you people out there who are not perfect, you better watch out. They may not be coming for you now, but if you do nothing while they're coming to others, they will get to you sooner or later.

Saudi Arabia have the religious police and we have the smoke police. What's the difference?
MMA Fighter

Louisville, KY

#124 Jan 31, 2012
wtf of floyd county wrote:
<quoted text>It is people like you in our lives, blowing your posion in the air we have to inhale.
It's people like you in our lives that BAWWWWWWWWW and try to oppress minorities rights. So, hows the klan meeting?
Wafer Ho

Richmond, KY

#125 Jan 31, 2012
MeInUSA wrote:
Where in the hell does it end??? Our ancestors came to this country to get away from the government trying to tell them how to live. Slowly but surely we are getting just as bad. My parents and almost every parent at that time that I know of smoked around their children and I know of not one single person who has died or had cancer from second hand smoke. Are they really telling us the truth about second hand smoke? A show on the History Channel shows how they lied to Americans about pot and tried to brainwash Americans about pot, and there have been many other things, too.
It's getting harder and harder to live in heartless America. Soon we are all going to be walking around like robots with the government telling us how to live our lives and how to raise our children. This big obese bitch just told me I smelled horrible (like smoke) and it just bothered her so bad. I wanted to say her obesity hurt my eyes & she was an eyesore on this country. It would have been no ruder than she was to me. Wonder how she's going to feel when the government starts on her b/c she's so fat and ugly. No one used to ever complain about smoke. Many went into smoke filled bars without a single complaint. LOL! So why has it suddenly changed so drastically. The government certainly knows how to brainwash us. That's for sure.
Good luck for when they come after you for something. The old saying of they came for the Jews, but I was not a Jew, so I said nothing and went along with them, etc, will come to haunt many people in this country.
I say the government stay out of people's personal lives. Every time they try to do something about the drug problem, they end up making it worse. I say let those who want to take drugs take them. That will put all of the drug dealers out of business. They did this in Sweden or Switzerland, one, & it cut their crime rate down 80% & got rid of the drug dealers. People who are addicted to drugs have a sickness just like alcoholics. When these people could get their meds at the doctors' office, they were also exposed to ways of quitting & many did just that.
I could go on and on with examples of what a mess the government makes of things when they try to tell people how to live but I'm in a hurry. Just remember that our jails R so overcrowded they're letting murderers & sex offenders, etc, out & locking up ppl who are addicted to drugs & R sick. I watched a guy get thrown N jail b/c he was taking prescription pain pills with the levels being very low on his blood test, meaning he was taking his meds as prescribed. They had to keep him in the drunk tank for four days b/c they didn't have any room. Does anyone know how horrible the drunk tank is? Then we C ppl with cancer who R forced 2 go 2 these drug clinics & sit with all the drug dealers/addicts b/c their family physicians R afraid 2 give anybody any pain pills b/c of the government. Our doctors can no longer be doctors as they're supposed to be b/c of the government. Who would U rather have dealing with UR health? Doctors or our politicians in Frankfort/Washington. Come on, people, use your heads and think about these things. Every single thing the government sticks their noses in becomes nothing but a bigger mess. Let them stick to what they're supposed to do & stay out of our personal lives. They can't even run their own lives, let alone anyone elses.
You are a lil different from the average dumbed down , subservant schmuck, who question nothin and believe everything they are fed by mass media, however u need to keep looking into why its like this, the search for truth is endless. You think the world seems absurd now jusgt wait til u figure out whats really going on

“Non smoking freedom loving vet”

Since: Apr 08

Chicago

#126 Jan 31, 2012
sandy63 wrote:
One time i saw 3 young women smoking in a car with a baby in a carseat and the windows werent rolled down.A child should not be exposed to those toxins involuntarily,and smokers should think about their children's health,since they dont care about theirs and keep their vehicle smokefree.One more thing,i wish they wouldnt throw their butts out the window,mother earth isnt an ashtray.
Because of whiners, cars no longer have ashtrays.

“Hello”

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#127 Jan 31, 2012
generalsn1234567 wrote:
<quoted text>Because of whiners, cars no longer have ashtrays.
Than buy one from Walmart instead of tossing your butts out the window.
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

#128 Jan 31, 2012
The Truth wrote:
This is BULL SHIT!!! Last time I looked we lived in America, home of the FREE and BRAVE!! Not Russia or RED CHINA!!
It is time for the politicians to get the hell out of OUR LIFE!!
We have survived for 100 years without the GOVERNMENT telling us how to live our lives!!!The politicians need to get the hell out of our lives!!!
Which hundred years would that be, then?
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

#129 Jan 31, 2012
The Truth wrote:
This is BULL SHIT!!!
By the way, thanks for the introspective heads up beginning "this".
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

#130 Jan 31, 2012
generalsn1234567 wrote:
<quoted text>Because of whiners, cars no longer have ashtrays.
Because of pandemic nicotine addiction, that absence actually seems odd to some people.
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

#131 Jan 31, 2012
MeInUSA wrote:
Where in the hell does it end??? Our ancestors came to this country to get away from the government trying to tell them how to live.
Might want to look into your genealogy and that of your audience.

"In 1718, the British Parliament passed the Transportation Act, under which England began sending its imprisoned convicts to be sold as indentured servants in the American colonies. While the law provoked outrage among many colonists Benjamin Franklin equated it to packing up North American rattlesnakes and sending them all to England the influx of ex-convicts provided cheap and immediate labor for many planters and merchants. After 1718, approximately 60,000 convicts, dubbed 'the King's passengers,' were sent from England to America. Ninety percent of them stayed in Maryland and Virginia. Although some returned to England once their servitude was over, many remained and began their new lives in the colonies."

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php...

Sixty thousand--or even the fifty-four thousand that remained, according to this write-up--was a lot of people in 1718. Add the possibility that at least a few of the six thousand that went back (or perhaps died in servitude) generated kids before leaving, and this is a significant impact on the gene pool, as well as on society.

Of course, this influence is offset by the huge number of people whose flavor of religious fanaticism put them at odds with the societies they left behind.
Say What

Bardstown, KY

#132 Feb 1, 2012
Hugh Jass wrote:
<quoted text>
Might want to look into your genealogy and that of your audience.
"In 1718, the British Parliament passed the Transportation Act, under which England began sending its imprisoned convicts to be sold as indentured servants in the American colonies. While the law provoked outrage among many colonists Benjamin Franklin equated it to packing up North American rattlesnakes and sending them all to England the influx of ex-convicts provided cheap and immediate labor for many planters and merchants. After 1718, approximately 60,000 convicts, dubbed 'the King's passengers,' were sent from England to America. Ninety percent of them stayed in Maryland and Virginia. Although some returned to England once their servitude was over, many remained and began their new lives in the colonies."
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php...
Sixty thousand--or even the fifty-four thousand that remained, according to this write-up--was a lot of people in 1718. Add the possibility that at least a few of the six thousand that went back (or perhaps died in servitude) generated kids before leaving, and this is a significant impact on the gene pool, as well as on society.
Of course, this influence is offset by the huge number of people whose flavor of religious fanaticism put them at odds with the societies they left behind.
And your point hugh ass? you want us to lay down and bow to the immuculate barak insane odumba, and become SOCALIST like him, then COMMUNIST??
Here's one that WILL NOT!!
MeInUSA

Prestonsburg, KY

#133 Feb 1, 2012
Hugh Jass wrote:
<quoted text>
Might want to look into your genealogy and that of your audience.
"In 1718, the British Parliament passed the Transportation Act, under which England began sending its imprisoned convicts to be sold as indentured servants in the American colonies. While the law provoked outrage among many colonists Benjamin Franklin equated it to packing up North American rattlesnakes and sending them all to England the influx of ex-convicts provided cheap and immediate labor for many planters and merchants. After 1718, approximately 60,000 convicts, dubbed 'the King's passengers,' were sent from England to America. Ninety percent of them stayed in Maryland and Virginia. Although some returned to England once their servitude was over, many remained and began their new lives in the colonies."
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php...
Sixty thousand--or even the fifty-four thousand that remained, according to this write-up--was a lot of people in 1718. Add the possibility that at least a few of the six thousand that went back (or perhaps died in servitude) generated kids before leaving, and this is a significant impact on the gene pool, as well as on society.
Of course, this influence is offset by the huge number of people whose flavor of religious fanaticism put them at odds with the societies they left behind.
LOL! Of course back then to live in England & be a convict, U really didn't have 2 do anything wrong. I know UR kind & exactly what UR point is. I've only heard this type of comment from a few certain groups of ppl. But this has nothing to do with what we R talking about. We R speaking in general terms & I'm not going to name every group of ppl who came to the US from the many different countries of which they came, what year they came & 4 what reasons b/c there were 100s of 1000s over a period of many, many yrs for a variety of reasons. Of course they didn't all come 4 the exact same reason. Obviously, we cannot get into every single detail. LOL! How ignorant to think we possibly could.

My ancestors came from Germany to be free as they wrote N the papers we have from them. At least half of my ancestors. The other half, Native Americans, were already here. This isn't written 2 go N2 a million different details. LOL! Americans fought to get out from under the King of England & 2 have a free country & a free life as no others had ever had B/4 that point in time. Our founding fathers were absolute geniuses who gave this country a road map 2 follow 2 eventually have the greatest country thus far known 2 this earth. Freedom is what they spoke of that was so vital to this country & that is what we got. Thru all of our bumps in the road/mistakes/wars, etc., as every other person in any country in the world have always had, we finally got it right. And when we did, it was spectacular. So sorry that makes you so angry. During the 60's, 70's, 80's & part of the 90's, this country was fantastic to live in. And even with all of our faults, I still know of no other country I would rather live in today, especially now that we have the Internet & know so much more about what happens in other countries. With all of our imperfections, in my opinion, most, if not all, other countries have more imperfections. Guess it's just a preference. We're on the wrong track now & hitting more bumps in the road which we need to fix, and we will. I guess we're always hitting bumps, as is everyone else in the world, but we've got some big ones we need to fix at this point in time...and, again, we will fix them.
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

#134 Feb 1, 2012
MeInUSA wrote:
Americans fought to get out from under the King of England & 2 have a free country & a free life as no others had ever had B/4 that point in time. Our founding fathers were absolute geniuses who gave this country a road map 2 follow 2 eventually have the greatest country thus far known 2 this earth.
A huge element of that era is that any European who didn't get along with his neighbors could go steal another chunk of land from the Native Americans (actually, not an issue that translated to the victims since land ownership was not, as I understand it, a part of their culture, but a definite concept for the victimizers).
MeInUSA wrote:
Our founding fathers were absolute geniuses who gave this country a road map 2 follow 2 eventually have the greatest country thus far known 2 this earth. Freedom is what they spoke of that was so vital to this country & that is what we got.
An argument could be made that the founders of this country were opportunists who realized that they were in a position to steal the lands from the rightful (by European reckoning) owners, since those owners were an ocean away and would have difficulty with the supply chain if they chose to defend their holdings. That sort of plays hob with all the "property rights" arguments the smokers' advocates on the forum try to bolster with context-free references to the "founding fathers".
MeInUSA wrote:
Thru all of our bumps in the road/mistakes/wars, etc., as every other person in any country in the world have always had, we finally got it right. And when we did, it was spectacular. So sorry that makes you so angry.
Actually, we are still working on "getting it right". That ongoing process is part of what is allowed for in the way the country was set up.
MeInUSA wrote:
During the 60's, 70's, 80's & part of the 90's, this country was fantastic to live in.
For many, yes. Of course, there has been the ongoing class divide, with the focusing of money and power in smaller and smaller segments of society.

The 60s weren't so nice if you were in the jungles fighting for your life, and they were only superficially nice if you were drugging yourself insensate back at home. If you lived in the northern half of the country, there were terrible storms during those years.

In the context of the smoking forum (which is the direction I came here from), those decades involved a progression of public awareness of the horror that smoking is and the beginning of efforts to curb its effect as well as the heightened efforts of the tobacco companies to prevent public knowledge and to maximize addiction to their products.
MMA FIGHTER

Louisville, KY

#135 Feb 2, 2012
sandy63 wrote:
<quoted text>Than buy one from Walmart instead of tossing your butts out the window.
Next time I buy a next Ferarri or Porsche, you can feel free to buy me one. Until then, shut your piehole and go hang out at Jim Porters, old timer.

“Hello”

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#136 Feb 2, 2012
MMA FIGHTER wrote:
<quoted text>
Next time I buy a next Ferarri or Porsche, you can feel free to buy me one. Until then, shut your piehole and go hang out at Jim Porters, old timer.
LMAO....what? You sound uptight,go smoke another cigarette.:D Me,i like my health.
Mr American

Ft Mitchell, KY

#137 Feb 2, 2012
This is all pointless. You can't stop people from poisoning their kids. I have a pregnant neighbor I saw picking up her 2 older kids at the bus stop, a little kid in a wagon, just smoking away at the bus stop. Birth defects are fun!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Louisville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
God bless president Trump (Apr '16) 23 min Trump Eats Babies 41
Trixie's Club Question (Jan '13) 2 hr Getoverit 35
Carla Rushing, I want to hire you, please respond! (Aug '16) 3 hr Dude dude 20
Last Post Wins (Mar '11) 3 hr -Prince- 9,652
Louisville Reviews with a twist 6 hr Louisville Sucks 1
News National anti-abortion group aims to shut down ... 8 hr Jael2 1
Jaron Bobbitt (Dec '15) 17 hr Babygirl1983 3

Louisville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Louisville Mortgages