Gay rights ordinances pushed in small Kentucky towns

Dec 2, 2012 Full story: USA Today 133

In a scene that has been playing out in small cities throughout Kentucky in recent weeks, local citizens working with the statewide Fairness Coalition - which includes groups such as the Louisville, Ky.-based Fairness Campaign and the American Civil Liberties Union of Kentucky - are seeking local anti-bias protections for gay and transgender ... (more)

Full Story
siren

United States

#22 Dec 3, 2012
no, I agree with you Point. I think they should be seen the same as anybody else. Im not advocating MORE rights than straight people, just the same rights. If they wanna get married, so what? Let them. I think they should have the same protection under the law as straight people, ie- in housing, jobs, marraige, insurance, etc. When gay rights becomes a NON ISSUE, is when it will have been a success.

Level 1

Since: May 11

Shepherdsville, KY

#23 Dec 3, 2012
I would agree with The Point, but Kentucky has laws protecting people due to religion or political views. It is therefore legal for a conservative christian to fire a gay person, but a gay person isn't permitted to fire someone for being a conservative christian.

Either get rid of all civil rights laws, or apply them evenly.
NoQ

New York, NY

#24 Dec 3, 2012
Angel Diva wrote:
You know, there are ways to object in a positive manner so as people take you seriously. But, surprise, the ignorant rednecks in these little towns can never manage to do that. And they're always the ones trolling these sites and spreading their hate. Always anonymously as well. Marking up every inteligent post with those stupid judgement icons. They're like really bad children. Not even realizing that they only succeed in helping to prove us right.
Thanks kids!
Angel, are you a flatcocker ???

“Equality marches on! ”

Level 4

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#25 Dec 3, 2012
The Point wrote:
<quoted text>
I see it that way too. So please explain to me why gays should be afforded special civil protections under the law. I'm not trolling or necessarily disagreeing...just trying to understand the issue. In my mind, sexual preference is a lot like being left-handed; while some older people may think it's weird or even evil to use your left hand, I'm just not convinced that we need special laws to protect lefties. What am I missing?
Try firing someone, or denying housing, a job, or a promotion on the grounds that they are left handed.
siren

United States

#27 Dec 3, 2012
Uve wrote:
<quoted text>
Left handed people (for the most part) aren't lazy, dirty, whining scumbags like queers.
this is exactly case in point in why these laws need to exist.*rolls eyes*. Ignorance is the largest threat facing our country today.
on looker

Mooresville, NC

#28 Dec 3, 2012
Angel Diva wrote:
It would be really nice to think that a place like Shelbyville could take advantage of this opportunity to move forward with this as a bright, shinning example. Especially since we have now managed to draw national attention. But, I suppose you can all already tell that by our own mayors comments, that has very little chance of happening. And from being pretty much a lifetime resident, and some of my most recent experiences with comments from fellow residents, the mayor's probably correct. I do have to say though, that the factory I work for here has defanantly been the exception. They have been extremely professional, and accommodating.
If anyone would like to get a better idea of what I'm talking about, feel free to pop over to Shelbyville's forum, and take a look at what we're dealing with. It's not pretty, and frankly, I'm ashamed. Some of the best examples are on the thread I started to gauge Shelbyville's take on the transgender community. Also, look at how they treat our emigrant residents, it'll give you a better idea of where these people's heads are at.
A bunch of freaks!

Level 2

Since: May 12

Bellevue, WA

#29 Dec 3, 2012
on looker wrote:
<quoted text>A bunch of freaks!
ya bigots are freaks... thanks for playin

“Equality marches on! ”

Level 4

Location hidden

#30 Dec 3, 2012
Uve wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi-jacked user name
Oh, and an unregistered little wimp of a troll, who has been haunting the gay threads for over 5 years, posting with registered usernames, and creating stupid threads, should seriously be posting anything. Enjoy another holiday in "lock-up", R1!!

“Equality marches on! ”

Level 4

Location hidden

#33 Dec 3, 2012
NoQ wrote:
<quoted text>
It happens in baseball all the time. If they don't need a left hand pitcher, they get rid of him.
So clueless, so angry, so frucked up. Typical unregistered troll. Go hang with your straight friends. Oh...... and there we have it.
gay and pissed off

Elizabethtown, KY

#35 Dec 3, 2012
rick wrote:
<quoted text>Amen.

Gay rights = forced acceptance of the sick and disgusting gay lifestyle.

I no one should be forced to rent to sexual deviants if they do not want to. It's disgusting, drives down property values, drives off other desirable renters, drives up the number of frivolous discrimination lawsuits in the county, and forces neighbors and their children to be exposed daily to their perverted lifestyle.

Why would gays want to live where their not wanted anyways?
We don't want to put up with idiots like u! We are every where and not all of us are the same, don't judge all gay people just because some are inconsiderate of others! Oh wait but that's most people!

Uve

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#36 Dec 3, 2012
Sick wrote:
<quoted text>We need an ordinance to keep people like you out of Shelby County for the sake of diseases not being spread there.....
And I think we need forced sterilizations for people like you.

Uve

Location hidden

#37 Dec 3, 2012
Uve wrote:
<quoted text>
Left handed people (for the most part) aren't lazy, dirty, whining scumbags like queers.
So I've moved to Birmensdorf, Switzerland now...not very creative POS..you're getting your anonymous-es mixed up. Must be old age

Uve

Location hidden

#38 Dec 3, 2012
NoQ wrote:
<quoted text>
LMFAO. Don't like to be wrong, huh Fa$$ot. You ASSTROLL, go get your favorite dessert, Shit on a Dick.
Boy your a sad excuse for oxygen..I see you liked my Asstroll label too, do you not have ANY creative thought?

“No Quarter!”

Level 1

Since: Aug 12

Shelbyville, Ky.

#39 Dec 4, 2012
Sick wrote:
<quoted text>We need an ordinance to keep people like you out of Shelby County for the sake of diseases not being spread there.....
WOW! Once again an anonymous ignorant redneck takes the bait and proves my point. What a surprise.

Level 1

Since: Dec 12

Elizabethtown, KY

#40 Dec 4, 2012
siren wrote:
I find myself constantly baffled at the ignorance of people. Why do people assume gays live any differently than straight people? It's not disgusting, it just is. I wouldnt let anyone tell me who I was or was not allowed to love, so I won't do it to anyone else. As for my children, it doesn't hurt them one tiny bit for johnny down the street to live with another man. So what? Straight couples aren't 'doin it' as another poster put it, out in the streets- why would you assume gays would be? Chances are, even if there are 2 men or 2 women holding hands your kids wouldnt even notice unless you pointed it out in some way. Kids are not born with prejudice- they are taught it.
You are right I am new to the gay lifestyle and coming out is a scarey thing because of the hate and prejudice agaist it,Many years I lived as a straight guy and bashed gay people myself tell I noticed they are no diffirant they just want to be happy live there lives as anyone else does I dont think gays should have any more special privialges than anyone else but I do belive that it is a crime to discriminate agaist them (read any applacation) it is right there that it is a crime to discriminate based on age, race,gender,national orgion,etc I relize and alot will not agree with me thats there right but I was not born this way it was a chioce but according to the constition I am protected one of my rights as a citizion of this nation is the right to pursue happiness you dont have to agree with me and I expect most that are homophobic wont I dont want to be treeted any differant, But just because a person is gay bi trasngender does not mean they want all people of there sex to have a relation with it is no differant than what is called straight, You see someone you have interest in and date so forth however you can not be married not a issue for me just a piece of paper anyways although there are perks like insurance and so forth tied to that paper.
jamiej

Elizabethtown, KY

#41 Dec 4, 2012
that goth in LJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, churches are allowed to discriminate based on race. And, while I disagree, I see no reason for the government to meddle in religious institutions.
The republicans would filibuster an anti-discrimination amendment (they actually had the votes while Bush was in office, but he threatened to veto it). The main issue is whether or not it is actually necessary. Apparently this bill may not cover some small businesses, and I'm not sure that any franchise business in Etown would openly discriminate. I really don't think the bill would be all that effective. But, it could possibly benefit transexuals if they are covered (actually, the DOJ may already be protecting them under current gender bias laws).
Come to my church, we don't discriminate but our preacher will sure put the truth to you on being gay and lesbian, he will tell you straight out your an abomination of god and will not enter the gates of heaven unless you repent and change!! he doesn't sugar coat anything!!
The Point

Elizabethtown, KY

#43 Dec 4, 2012
siren wrote:
no, I agree with you Point. I think they should be seen the same as anybody else. Im not advocating MORE rights than straight people, just the same rights. If they wanna get married, so what? Let them. I think they should have the same protection under the law as straight people, ie- in housing, jobs, marraige, insurance, etc. When gay rights becomes a NON ISSUE, is when it will have been a success.
I'm with you on marriage equality and the benefits that come with that (insurance, hospital visitation, etc.), but I'm just not keen on escalating sexuality (hetero or homo) to a civil right status. It's none of my business if you are gay or straight, so I frankly don't want to ask you your preference on applications and then report back to the Government whether or not my hiring/housing ratios include enough gay or straight people relative to the population. In the real world, if you applied for a job/housing and got turned down for being gay, they've done you a huge favor...you don't want to work for/rent from anyone who is that backwards anyway, IMO. Again, I haven't read any of these ordinances, so I'm just speculating. But, in general, assigning sexual preference a civil right status would ultimately give it a classification and stigma that probably isn't warranted...upcoming generations won't think of homosexuality as abnormal at all unless we do things like this that classify it that way. I applaud gays for their struggle, but you should be careful not to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

“Equality marches on! ”

Level 4

Location hidden

#44 Dec 4, 2012
NoQ wrote:
<quoted text>
By the way, tell UVE that it hasn't been me posting under his name. I know you know that and I know how you know. That is, if you will.
Explain your idiocy yourself. You're a man of such fantastical wording!

Level 1

Shepherdsville, KY

#46 Dec 4, 2012
Since there aren't that many reasonable conservatives in this particular thread yet, I am going to go ahead and play devil's advocate and put forward a few of the more reasonable conservative, and
libertarian-ish, arguments against these laws for the benefit of those who are undecided until a few of the intelligent, albeit wrong conservatives show up to defend their positions.

First of all, is there any discrimination going on in Etown in the first place? This was raised in the article, and it is a fair question. Do we want to run the risk of dealing with frivolous lawsuits while solving a problem that may not exist in Etown? Those of us who support this ordinance will need to show the when, where, and how discrimination takes place if we want to win over the moderates.

Another good point, that never seems to be addressed by the religious right, is the fact if a anti-discrimination law is enacted, it is essentially a sign that it isn't needed. If LGBT citizens, or any minority for that matter, is able to get enough support to pass this law, then it is unlikely that widespread discrimination is taking place, or that the free market isn't capable of stopping it.

This brings me to the third argument, that appeals strongly to libertarians who are generally allies of LGBT rights. Discrimination could be considered it's own punishment. These businesses are getting rid of potentially valuable employees and customers, who can go to their competitors. This isn't even limited to just the LGBT customers, but straight people who are offended by open discrimination as well. The libertarians would feel that the best method to deal with this is to take your business and services elsewhere, and to organize a boycott and drive the offending company out of business.

I'm not saying I necessarily agree with those positions, but they are the kinds of things that liberals will have to address and find compelling responses to.

Level 1

Shepherdsville, KY

#47 Dec 4, 2012
jamiej wrote:
<quoted text> Come to my church, we don't discriminate but our preacher will sure put the truth to you on being gay and lesbian, he will tell you straight out your an abomination of god and will not enter the gates of heaven unless you repent and change!! he doesn't sugar coat anything!!
I'm a Unitarian. I have no interest in any protestant church, even a liberal one (I never stated my orientation anyway. Technically I'm autosexual and, for me personally, having sex with anyone, of any sex, is a disgusting waste of time). But thank you for your concern and invitation. But, if god is that picky, I don't want to go to heaven with him.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Louisville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 13 min Mitch McConnell 4,588
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 22 min joke 26,268
Muhlenberg Co. home invasion suspect shot by de... 1 hr Hasbro 26
Review: Sumser's Concrete (Feb '13) 2 hr Unhappy 4
Religious legalism 4 hr Gate Keeper 6
diamond cabaret strip club 6 hr maurice 4
smoking is illegal in louisville bars. diamond ... 6 hr maurice 1
The "I Am Dixie Highway" group on Facebook. 7 hr BTS1203 49
•••
•••