Caucus aims to encourage black students

Caucus aims to encourage black students

There are 105 comments on the Lexington Herald-Leader story from Mar 26, 2006, titled Caucus aims to encourage black students. In it, Lexington Herald-Leader reports that:

In the first statewide event of its kind, 215 African-American students from eight Kentucky colleges gathered at Georgetown College yesterday for a Black Student Leadership Caucus.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lexington Herald-Leader.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
ATL

Waynesboro, TN

#1 Mar 29, 2006
I must say that idea of the caucus seem far fetched, but the product that was presented last weekend was something to remember. As a student not originally from Kentucky, I was overjoyed to meet so many minority students on different campuses throughout the state, and talking with them and discovering that we faced similar issues at our schools gave me the strength to become more of a leader on my campus.
AJT

Columbia, KY

#2 Mar 31, 2006
If 215 white students had gathered for a caucus they would be accused of discrimination and racism but on the other hand it wouldnt have been printed in the lexington herald either.
Good Ole Girl

Lexington, KY

#3 Mar 31, 2006
AJT wrote:
If 215 white students had gathered for a caucus they would be accused of discrimination and racism but on the other hand it wouldnt have been printed in the lexington herald either.
That is such an atequated argument. There would be no need for individuals to gather for advancement if there had been no opression to begin with. You mentioned the newspaper, this is the same one that printed a retraction for not covering the ENTIRE Civil Rights movement. That sort of omission could validate the need in itself.
student

Elizabethtown, KY

#4 Mar 31, 2006
AJT wrote:
I agree!
Equal treatment for all

Baton Rouge, LA

#5 Apr 1, 2006
The same old worn out black excuse " We were opressed ". Well wake up so has every race been by someone at some point in time.
Such as the white race is now, by the raceist programs of Afirmative Action. But it's funny how Asians can come here from "opression" and own the land that the blacks rent, because they work , not sit around waiting on a check or cry baby about how wrong they have been treated.
Yeah

Elizabethtown, KY

#6 Apr 4, 2006
Equal treatment for all wrote:
The same old worn out black excuse " We were opressed ". Well wake up so has every race been by someone at some point in time.
Such as the white race is now, by the raceist programs of Afirmative Action. But it's funny how Asians can come here from "opression" and own the land that the blacks rent, because they work , not sit around waiting on a check or cry baby about how wrong they have been treated.
Aren't you being a little obnoxious? You are casting out an entire race of people by your comment. I can assure you SA that not all African Americans sit around waiting for a check or crying like a baby, as you are boo hooing now. Some people should have limitations on their opinion considering how stupid they can look.
Welllll

Gradyville, KY

#7 Apr 4, 2006
Well, I'm WHITE, and rent the house that the BLACKS OWN! I work, but still want to sit and cry like a baby sometimes....So what ridiculous category would you prefer to put me in????
dumb3434

Chesapeake, VA

#8 Apr 19, 2006
HUMAN!!! Ha
dumb3434

Chesapeake, VA

#9 Apr 19, 2006
Such as the white race is now, by the raceist programs of Afirmative Action. But it's funny how Asians can come here from "opression" and own the land that the blacks rent, because they work , not sit around waiting on a check or cry baby about how wrong they have been treated."

Have U served this COUNTRY???? SHUT UP!!!!
OH WOW

Chicago, IL

#10 Apr 25, 2006
This argument that African Americans are lazy and sit and cry, well this is just another form of racism. No it isn't old south jim crow racism, it is symbolic, structural, laissez-faire racism. It has been proven so many times that African Americans are STILL discriminated against. This argument is told over and over again and there is no need for it, it demonstrates how at no length discrimination still occurs. It is living proof! African Americans are discriminated against in the job market although Affirmative Action is in place, if African Americans go to get a loan it is more likely that they are turned down although they may have an outstanding history, there are soo many other instances. I could keep going if you like...
Fed up

Lincoln, CA

#11 Apr 25, 2006
Well Put!!!! I agree with you 100%
Yeah

Greensburg, KY

#12 Apr 26, 2006
Fed up wrote:
<quoted text>

Well Put!!!! I agree with you 100%
So you have to boo hoo with him also. Please, if it wasn't for immigrants doing jobs here we would be in a mess, because a lot of fat A$$ people here in our own country(town)is more worried about setting on their butts and computers to put someone else down. I guess it boosts your self esteem to be able to talk about someone else. The truth is they work, not sale pills or wait on what ever check or funds they can BEAT the government out of.
It is really ironic who is casting stones..lol
OH WOW

Chicago, IL

#13 Apr 26, 2006
dumb3434 wrote:
Such as the white race is now, by the raceist programs of Afirmative Action. But it's funny how Asians can come here from "opression" and own the land that the blacks rent, because they work , not sit around waiting on a check or cry baby about how wrong they have been treated."

Have U served this COUNTRY???? SHUT UP!!!!
You say that the white race is oppressed..... How so? I know that you mentioned Affirmative Acion but in reality Affirmative Action is not hampering the white male at all. White males still make 30% more than females, and there is a huge difference between white males and various ethnicities. see http://www.pay-equity.org/info-racebrief.html . No matter what you say the American white race has never seen racism like African Americans. How many white families were oppressed for 200 years? How many white families had their houses fire bombed, doors beat in, windows shattered, burnt down because of their skin color? How many white American families were lynched because of their skin color? How many white Americans were beaten for hours upon hours and then raped (if you were a female) because your master decided he wanted to when you were at the young age of 11 or 12 or maybe even younger? How many whtie Americans have to live with the pain of remembering that and bearing children from this rape?? How many white Americans were blasted, shot, attacked by a dog or gassed because they peacefull marched for civil rights? How many white Americans are threated still today because they skin is a different color? Not many because white Americans can never live what African Americans had to live. Studies show that people who form these opinions are uneducated, learn about African Americans struggles, you might learn about something greater...compassion.
Fed up

Lincoln, CA

#14 Apr 26, 2006
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>
So you have to boo hoo with him also. Please, if it wasn't for immigrants doing jobs here we would be in a mess, because a lot of fat A$$ people here in our own country(town)is more worried about setting on their butts and computers to put someone else down. I guess it boosts your self esteem to be able to talk about someone else. The truth is they work, not sale pills or wait on what ever check or funds they can BEAT the government out of.
It is really ironic who is casting stones..lol
Wow, looks like you're the only one boo hooing around here. And as far as your comment about people sitting on their computers putting other people down, isn't that what you just did? And yes, it really is ironic who is casting stones lol
Yeah

Greensburg, KY

#15 Apr 26, 2006
Fed up wrote:
<quoted text>

Wow, looks like you're the only one boo hooing around here. And as far as your comment about people sitting on their computers putting other people down, isn't that what you just did? And yes, it really is ironic who is casting stones lol
That is exactly what I did, because someone needs to tell you stop butting into business that is none of yours.
OH WOW

Chicago, IL

#16 Apr 26, 2006
How about talking about the subject??!!! Personal attacks aren't furthering the convo
Every Race has its losers

Cincinnati, OH

#17 Apr 26, 2006
There are lazy people in all races that give their race a bad name. Lazy black people, white trash, wetbacks.....you name it. I have respect for all people as people. I have no respect for lazy, welfare abusing, opressed people who won't get off their arse and get what they need and deserve---(no matter what color they are). Remember, we are only limited by our own self-imposed limitations!
Refaim

Bowling Green, KY

#18 Apr 26, 2006
Every Race has its losers wrote:
There are lazy people in all races that give their race a bad name. Lazy black people, white trash, wetbacks.....you name it. I have respect for all people as people. I have no respect for lazy, welfare abusing, opressed people who won't get off their arse and get what they need and deserve---(no matter what color they are). Remember, we are only limited by our own self-imposed limitations!
Exactly
OH WOW

Chicago, IL

#21 May 3, 2006
First of lazy, welfare abusing oppressed people. Oppressed means that they are having injustices committed against them. You are saying that there are inequalities in the way they are treated. Geez.
redneck

Trenton, OH

#22 May 4, 2006
Excuse me but we have more important issues at hand. Like why are our tax dollars going to Christian schools. These schools suck academically. Whats wrong with a good public school. I'd rather send my money to a magnet school.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Louisville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Kentucky Could Become The Only State Without A ... 1 hr Coal is King 170
Trump for President, He will win. watch (Aug '16) 3 hr scotty steiner 4,200
Christy Lee 8 hr Asking 4
Boobie from Park Hill 10 hr Abdul Alla 3
Walter Ross of Pendleton Kentucky is a closet q... 17 hr Believe 11
club x (Jul '13) 19 hr Oops 9
7th street and Hill (Dec '07) 22 hr Millie Collins 130

Louisville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance