Witches, magic and spells: Wiccan religion fact and fiction

Apr 23, 2009 Full story: WHAS-TV Louisville 225

Witches, magic and spells - there's more to the growing Wiccan religion than what you've seen or read.

Full Story
First Prev
of 12
Next Last
Carrie

Kansas City, MO

#1 Apr 24, 2009
You know what I would love to see? A story on witches/wiccans and the person they interview is a family person and they show their house, and yard, and job down at the office. A shot of their makeshift altar on a bookcase near the aquarium in their living room, etc. Because you know, I know more "normal" witches than occult shop owners who are witches.

We're normal people too. We have kids and dogs and houses and 9-5 jobs. We work on the cars on the weekend and swear at our lawnmowers when they run out of gas. We don't just sit around and dreamily cast "spells" all day.

“Ave Satanas”

Since: Dec 06

Bratislava, Slovakia

#2 Apr 24, 2009
The majority of wiccans live by a strong ethical code of not harming others or the earth.If you believe you will have bad luck and it happens…
The chain reaction of your thoughts can be quiet fascinating.

“Ave Satanas”

Since: Dec 06

Bratislava, Slovakia

#3 Apr 24, 2009
*quite

;)

For the spelling police

Since: Feb 08

ANOKA, MN

#4 Apr 24, 2009
There's no angle, no edge, no sell to that. Same reason media always carries pictures of the guy wearing the studded codpiece with assless chaps at the gay rights parade. It's more sensational than the couple in their 80's who have been together for 60 years and are happy just to be able to stroll through the park holding hands without getting the crap beat outta them.

“I will not go quietly.”

Since: Feb 07

Indianapolis Indiana

#5 Apr 24, 2009
DaBroad wrote:
There's no angle, no edge, no sell to that. Same reason media always carries pictures of the guy wearing the studded codpiece with assless chaps at the gay rights parade. It's more sensational than the couple in their 80's who have been together for 60 years and are happy just to be able to stroll through the park holding hands without getting the crap beat outta them.
Got that right. When it comes down to it, "real" Wiccans are boring, just like everyone else with the slight exception of their personal altars and stuff. When someone walks through the door and it doesn't look like a cross between a Renaissance Festival and a Marilyn Manson Concert they get bored really quickly. I don't claim to be a direct line descendant of Morgan LeFay nor do I have telepathic contact with my pet ferret Nigel, I simply happen to be someone who follows a pagan path of belief and worship. No sacrificing live animals, no 'Great Rite' parties, just a slightly overweight ex-smoker with a strange sense of humor and a pentacle on a leather thong around my neck.

“Go Lemmings Go!”

Grand Junction, CO

#6 Apr 24, 2009
triple6vamp wrote:
*quite
;)
For the spelling police
because you know we're watching! LOL (OCD)

“NM Desert Rat”

Level 8

Since: Mar 08

Elephant Butte, N.M.

#7 Apr 25, 2009
I enjoyed the article it is nice to see positive articles instead of the usual negative ignorant propaganda. I agree with the argument that you will probably never see an interview with a average every day Pagan. Because it is boring reading about someone who is just like you other than your religious beliefs. The media is more into publicizing the extremes so that it will get more coverage.
Isadora

Red Oak, TX

#8 Apr 26, 2009
When I read the article I was rolling my eyes thinking "here we go, another 'look at the crazy Wiccans' piece." but when I watched the video I felt much better about the way Pagans were represented here. They don't seem to notice that the woman being interviewed said "occult" but the article uses "cult" in it's place. The written article also leaves out several lines of dialogue, dialogue that changes the whole tone of the piece.

I agree with many other comments, the camera work was...not good. It's like the interviewer had an approach that was non-judgmental and serious, and the cameraman and producers couldn't help but add the spooky non-sense to spice things up - or make their own personal beliefs and prejudgments known. Over-all, a good story, I especially like the end when the anchorwoman was explaining the meaning of Beltane - she didn't even flinch when she was talking about the Goddess and the God.

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#9 Nov 17, 2009
You spoke that one well
Carrie wrote:
You know what I would love to see? A story on witches/wiccans and the person they interview is a family person and they show their house, and yard, and job down at the office. A shot of their makeshift altar on a bookcase near the aquarium in their living room, etc. Because you know, I know more "normal" witches than occult shop owners who are witches.
We're normal people too. We have kids and dogs and houses and 9-5 jobs. We work on the cars on the weekend and swear at our lawnmowers when they run out of gas. We don't just sit around and dreamily cast "spells" all day.

“Please don't feed the trolls.”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#10 Nov 17, 2009
Carrie wrote:
I agree completely. However, because Christianity is the mainstream "norm", there will never be a Pagan or Wiccan holiday special on TV, folks will still gawk and gasp over the articles they read, and we'll still be seen as the novelty of the day. There are far more weirdos and psychos that AREN'T Pagan or Wiccan.

PS...I'm glad I'm not the only one who cusses out the lawnmower! 8^)

ANOKA, MN

#11 Nov 18, 2009
The Real Lori wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree completely. However, because Christianity is the mainstream "norm", there will never be a Pagan or Wiccan holiday special on TV, folks will still gawk and gasp over the articles they read, and we'll still be seen as the novelty of the day. There are far more weirdos and psychos that AREN'T Pagan or Wiccan.
PS...I'm glad I'm not the only one who cusses out the lawnmower! 8^)
Actually, I'd almost nominate the Rankin/Bass "The Life And Adventures Of Santa Claus" from 1985 as a Pagan holiday special. It was my absolute favorite R/B special. I just wish they'd actually release it on DVD - they've released most of their other stuff.
JustMe

Louisville, KY

#12 Nov 18, 2009
Excuse me, hello...there are not any real witches, just wannabes.
No No Obama

Meridian, ID

#13 Nov 18, 2009
JustMe wrote:
and to use anal probes when their flying spells won't work.

“I will not go quietly.”

Since: Feb 07

Indianapolis Indiana

#14 Nov 18, 2009
JustMe wrote:
Wrong. Witches exist. The only thing that doesn't exist is the "witch" that the Movies/TV feed to the public.
Just Me

Louisville, KY

#15 Nov 18, 2009
No No Obama wrote:
<quoted text>and to use anal probes when their flying spells won't work.
however they can justify whatever they do with their probes is on them. A visual I do not want.

“A different view”

Since: Sep 08

West Riding

#16 Nov 18, 2009
Schools out!

“Please don't feed the trolls.”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#17 Nov 18, 2009
But I thought they took naps in the afternoon? LOL

ANOKA, MN

#18 Nov 18, 2009
Either that or the school district doesn't have that blocking software...
person

United States

#19 Nov 18, 2009
anyone know where a good wiccan bookstore might be in louisville,ky.

ANOKA, MN

#20 Nov 18, 2009
person wrote:
anyone know where a good wiccan bookstore might be in louisville,ky.
http://www.moonstruckky.com/

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 12
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Louisville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Louisville Cardinals vs Kentucky Wildcats Dec 2... 9 hr David 1
places that hire felons.help! 10 hr constanceswan 1
Kentucky wants to give illegal immigrants drive... (Nov '07) 14 hr Mike 17
brad jones fairdale 16 hr beef 8
Mouse Moments - (Sep '11) 23 hr Maverick 808 12,445
Ford's pre-employment test (Aug '11) Fri kctopps 61
Sarah annanice reece Fri Maverick 808 3
Louisville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web