Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1...

Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912?

There are 1081 comments on the politix.topix.com story from Aug 13, 2013, titled Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912?. In it, politix.topix.com reports that:

This exam was taken by middle schoolers in Bullitt County, Kentucky. The real test contained 58 questions and wasn't multiple choice.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at politix.topix.com.

Moe

Vilonia, AR

#1539 Feb 18, 2014
I doubt it
Really

Elizabethtown, KY

#1543 Feb 22, 2014
reall
duah

United States

#1544 Feb 22, 2014
yesss
MSUGrad

Eddyville, KY

#1545 Feb 22, 2014
why wrote:
Like mark twain said I try not to let my schooling get in the way of my education.
It really shows too.
Grampa W

Chillicothe, OH

#1546 Feb 25, 2014
why wrote:
why do we worry with something that doesn't matter for some one that has already passed and I cant spell at all so forgive me if this hard for all of you professors to understand but I have been successful in my life because of hard work when I was sick, tired, what ever I did not miss a day and it paid off so the real question is can you pull yourself up and get a JOB and stay with it and live within your means and you have passed the most important test ( LIFE ) Like mark twain said I try not to let my schooling get in the way of my education. makes since to me, stop wasting your money on something you wont enjoy because if you don't enjoy it you wont stay with it do what you have to until your chance comes along. How many grads do you see paying back loans from working tables and being ashamed when they should not feel that way they should be proud because they are trying! I can remember a few teachers that really tried to help me and the others just drew a check just like every other job you have to take pride in it to do well and I see so little pride these days.
You are so right---Glad you figured life out and was able to be happy with yourself, so many people never do until it is too late.
Grampa W

Chillicothe, OH

#1547 Feb 25, 2014
MSUGrad wrote:
<quoted text>
It really shows too.
What do you mean by that? Just how sucessful in the game of life are you? Many college grads can not find a job in todays job market in their chosen field or any other field that pays a decent wage.
hey

Lebanon, KY

#1548 Feb 25, 2014
nope
honest

Tulsa, OK

#1549 Feb 25, 2014
A college degree dont mean nothing. When we started letting "educated" people decide who gets hired and why, we had to start dumbing down our work force. The only reason places require degrees is because the ones doing the hiring were stupid enough to pay for book learning and want to pat other book learners on the back.. I personally dont think someone should be hired into a managerial position until they are capable of doing every job they supervise. I will take a common sense kinda person over a book worm anytime. Doctors should be taught by other doctors in an apprenticeship environment. Hands on is by far the best way to learn, understand, and remember. We have all memorized something long enough to pass the test, then forgotten about it simply because its useless information to retain..
Dr Gizmo

Chesapeake, VA

#1550 Feb 25, 2014
If I had taken this test in the 8th grade in the year of 1912, I would have failed this test, although I have a college degree in the medical field. I struggled with answers to some of the questions. Did I pass? Yes. Did I pass in the required time? I don't know! I will lend this to my Children who are educators, they will do research to check it's authenticity.
Curly

Glasgow, KY

#1551 Feb 25, 2014
Nope doubt I could pass that one!
nope

Murfreesboro, TN

#1553 Feb 25, 2014
sure cant
Educator Ed

Jeffersonville, IN

#1554 Feb 26, 2014
It would be difficult
What

Worton, MD

#1555 Feb 27, 2014
Sure i can
Historian

South Fulton, TN

#1556 Feb 27, 2014
honest wrote:
Doctors should be taught by other doctors in an apprenticeship environment. Hands on is by far the best way to learn, understand, and remember. We have all memorized something long enough to pass the test, then forgotten about it simply because its useless information to retain..
You are totally damn dumb ass stupid ignorant wrong. True, a competent MD could probably train someone through apprenticeship to take his/her place as a general practitioner. But the quality of knowledge passed on would deteriorate with each transmission. By the second or third generation of such transmission, standards would deteriorate back to what they were at the beginning of the 1800s. The momentum of advancement would be lost. Things would go backward. That is true not only of medicine, but of all science, and virtually every other field as well. Only through institutionalized learning can the advance of progress be sustained.

“Topix Idiotae plena estut tibi”

Level 2

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#1557 Feb 28, 2014
Historian wrote:
<quoted text>
You are totally damn dumb ass stupid ignorant wrong. True, a competent MD could probably train someone through apprenticeship to take his/her place as a general practitioner. But the quality of knowledge passed on would deteriorate with each transmission. By the second or third generation of such transmission, standards would deteriorate back to what they were at the beginning of the 1800s. The momentum of advancement would be lost. Things would go backward. That is true not only of medicine, but of all science, and virtually every other field as well. Only through institutionalized learning can the advance of progress be sustained.
Yeah, that's totally why when carpenters, masons, and blacksmiths taught apprentices their trades before formal education existed in those fields that the quality went down to the point that a carpenter couldn't even build a birdhouse. Wait! No, that's the opposite of what happened isn't it?

For someone named historian you don't seem to understand the history either education or apprenticeship.
Historian

South Fulton, TN

#1558 Feb 28, 2014
Nox Aeterna wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, that's totally why when carpenters, masons, and blacksmiths taught apprentices their trades before formal education existed in those fields that the quality went down to the point that a carpenter couldn't even build a birdhouse. Wait! No, that's the opposite of what happened isn't it?
For someone named historian you don't seem to understand the history either education or apprenticeship.
No. You are the one who does not understand history. Or the progress of science and technology. True, carpenters, masons, etc. passed on their trades through apprenticeship, and the skills did not deteriorate. But, those skills remained static for centuries. A carpenter who knew his trade in the High Middle Ages and a carpenter who knew his trade in the early 1800s knew exactly the same set of skills. They used exactly the same tools, materials, etc. for hundreds of years. In a modern scientific/technical society, however, the skills change at an exponential rate.

Alvin Toffler suggested in his now-classic book "Future Shock" that reservations/refuges be established for people who could not or would not cope with living in the modern age. Maybe we need to do that, and send the retrogressives like you to them.
The Dudet

United States

#1559 Feb 28, 2014
Historian wrote:
<quoted text>No. You are the one who does not understand history. Or the progress of science and technology. True, carpenters, masons, etc. passed on their trades through apprenticeship, and the skills did not deteriorate. But, those skills remained static for centuries. A carpenter who knew his trade in the High Middle Ages and a carpenter who knew his trade in the early 1800s knew exactly the same set of skills. They used exactly the same tools, materials, etc. for hundreds of years. In a modern scientific/technical society, however, the skills change at an exponential rate.

Alvin Toffler suggested in his now-classic book "Future Shock" that reservations/refuges be established for people who could not or would not cope with living in the modern age. Maybe we need to do that, and send the retrogressives like you to them.
Shibboleth
The Dude

United States

#1560 Feb 28, 2014
The Dudet wrote:
<quoted text>Shibboleth
Jachin
sandy sorrwer

Benton, KY

#1561 Mar 2, 2014
If they would start me off in kidder garden.See tom run.I have been in kinder gardan all my life.What i got of it .Was all my friends could not find me .I gave the all drictions.Com e to find out I was taught or she never seen me.Com es down to it i was putting my left arm out.While all the smart kids.Were puting the right one lieftarm out i was putting the wrong left arm out.I guess i was never seen .But now my husband has help me .Yes i still slip up.
tim

Russell, KY

#1563 Mar 5, 2014
NO

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Louisville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
God bless president Trump (Apr '16) 11 min Anon 35
arcadia apts movie 9 hr truthfully 3
Missy 17 hr Missy 1
Anyone know Ashley Constant Wed Hook me up 2
Linda jeffery Tue Curious 1
News Former US Senator Jim Bunning laid to rest Tue Kyboy 7
Ford's pre-employment test (Aug '11) Tue Uncle sam 439

Louisville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance