Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1...

Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912?

There are 1076 comments on the politix.topix.com story from Aug 13, 2013, titled Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912?. In it, politix.topix.com reports that:

This exam was taken by middle schoolers in Bullitt County, Kentucky. The real test contained 58 questions and wasn't multiple choice.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at politix.topix.com.

Mavis

East Bernstadt, KY

#1515 Feb 10, 2014
Yes Yes Yes!!!
Danielson

Evansville, IN

#1516 Feb 10, 2014
The test is very hard

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#1517 Feb 10, 2014
TopMod15 wrote:
Not as easy as it sounds
ACED IT!
Historian

Paducah, KY

#1518 Feb 10, 2014
Fooney wrote:
I think we need to bring religion back into schools
No! Absolutely not! You stupid idiot!

If you allow one religion in schools, then you must allow all religions equal time: Christians (and various nutty cult versions thereof), Jews, Christians, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Satanists, Voodoo, and anything and everything else. If you do not, then we are no longer a free country.
Judge Dread

Chester, VA

#1519 Feb 10, 2014
Historian wrote:
<quoted text>
No! Absolutely not! You stupid idiot!
If you allow one religion in schools, then you must allow all religions equal time: Christians (and various nutty cult versions thereof), Jews, Christians, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Satanists, Voodoo, and anything and everything else. If you do not, then we are no longer a free country.
Not so! Islam is taught in New York and California schools now, but Chrisiianity is forbidden.
CrackerJack

Mayfield, KY

#1520 Feb 10, 2014
Historian wrote:
<quoted text>No! Absolutely not! You stupid idiot!

To cite the very first line of the very first amendment from a little read book these days, the United States Constitution,

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;"

According to the Supreme Court, any school is free to discuss any religion that they care to, so long as they do not "promote, inhibit or establish any one religion over another". Of course this applies only to publicly funded schools.
Private schools can promote whatever religion they care to.

That, my fellow Americans, is what freedom is all about.
Historian

Paducah, KY

#1521 Feb 10, 2014
CrackerJack wrote:
<quoted text>

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;"
According to the Supreme Court, any school is free to discuss any religion that they care to, so long as they do not "promote, inhibit or establish any one religion over another".
You have just made my case. A public school may discuss religion, as in learning about it in an academic sense. It may not promote a religion. Plastering the Ten Commandments on classroom walls would be blatant promotion. If you allowed it, then the walls would soon be plastered with Hindu, Sikh, Buddhist, Muslim, Voodoo, Satanist, etc. scriptures.
Historian

Paducah, KY

#1522 Feb 10, 2014
CrackerJack wrote:
<quoted text>
To cite the very first line of the very first amendment from a little read book these days, the United States Constitution,
According to the Supreme Court, any school is free to discuss any religion that they care to, so long as they do not "promote, inhibit or establish any one religion over another". Of course this applies only to publicly funded schools.
Private schools can promote whatever religion they care to.
That, my fellow Americans, is what freedom is all about.
The Oklahoma state legislature, with the enthusiastic support of Christian fundamentalists, put the Ten Commandments in front of the state capitol in defiance of the Constitutional ban on "promotion" of religion. Now it looks like they are going to have to get used to walking past this every day:

https://www.google.com/search...
CrackerJack

Mayfield, KY

#1523 Feb 10, 2014
Historian wrote:
<quoted text>You have just made my case. A public school may discuss religion, as in learning about it in an academic sense. It may not promote a religion. Plastering the Ten Commandments on classroom walls would be blatant promotion. If you allowed it, then the walls would soon be plastered with Hindu, Sikh, Buddhist, Muslim, Voodoo, Satanist, etc. scriptures.
Agree.
CrackerJack

Mayfield, KY

#1524 Feb 10, 2014
Historian wrote:
<quoted text>The Oklahoma state legislature, with the enthusiastic support of Christian fundamentalists, put the Ten Commandments in front of the state capitol in defiance of the Constitutional ban on "promotion" of religion. Now it looks like they are going to have to get used to walking past this every day:

https://www.google.com/search...
Sure with the teachers would be more intent on teaching the Constitution than subverting it.
knows

Winchester, KY

#1525 Feb 11, 2014
NOT if you went to Lawrence Co schools.
Historian

Murray, KY

#1526 Feb 11, 2014
Judge Dread wrote:
<quoted text>
Not so! Islam is taught in New York and California schools now, but Chrisiianity is forbidden.
You are absolutely wrong.

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/b/byroni...

Get the facts; don't simply repeat the lies and rumors.
Hmmm

Wickliffe, KY

#1527 Feb 11, 2014
Nope!
wish I was

Winchester, KY

#1528 Feb 11, 2014
Historian wrote:
<quoted text>
You are absolutely wrong.
http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/b/byroni...
Get the facts; don't simply repeat the lies and rumors.
wish I was wrong but Lawrence Co was 164th in the state with 172 school districts in a state thats been off standardize testing fo at least 10 years because they couldnt make above 40% on west testing they take KY version called cats by the way KY was 48th in natio
Historian

Murray, KY

#1529 Feb 11, 2014
wish I was wrote:
<quoted text>wish I was wrong but Lawrence Co was 164th in the state with 172 school districts in a state thats been off standardize testing fo at least 10 years because they couldnt make above 40% on west testing they take KY version called cats by the way KY was 48th in natio
My "absolutely wrong" reply was not to you.

Since: Oct 13

United States

#1531 Feb 12, 2014
What's funny to me is that all of you that are b@tching and whining and claiming to know the law can't even pass this simple 8th grade test from 1912.......go figure
CrackerJack

Madison, TN

#1532 Feb 12, 2014
I scored 95. Got Romania and Serbia backwards.
why

Glasgow, KY

#1535 Feb 14, 2014
why do we worry with something that doesn't matter for some one that has already passed and I cant spell at all so forgive me if this hard for all of you professors to understand but I have been successful in my life because of hard work when I was sick, tired, what ever I did not miss a day and it paid off so the real question is can you pull yourself up and get a JOB and stay with it and live within your means and you have passed the most important test ( LIFE ) Like mark twain said I try not to let my schooling get in the way of my education. makes since to me, stop wasting your money on something you wont enjoy because if you don't enjoy it you wont stay with it do what you have to until your chance comes along. How many grads do you see paying back loans from working tables and being ashamed when they should not feel that way they should be proud because they are trying! I can remember a few teachers that really tried to help me and the others just drew a check just like every other job you have to take pride in it to do well and I see so little pride these days.
just wandering

Chicago, IL

#1537 Feb 17, 2014
Test were harder back then cause u had to work to learn
hmmm

Wickliffe, KY

#1538 Feb 17, 2014
Yes I can!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Louisville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
david powell and kim massey need address and wi... 3 hr treeclimb 5
Former Health Care Nurse Turns Drug Dealer 14 hr Fed Up 2
Last Post Wins (Mar '11) 15 hr honeymylove 8,077
Ryan Fisher 15 hr Bubba 2
Megan and Jeff 18 hr Scully 1
pamela dee brian and her son wes (Aug '12) 19 hr Curiouserandcurio... 8
News As gay marriage fight continues in Kentucky, LG... 19 hr lalala 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Louisville Mortgages