Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1...

Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912?

There are 1075 comments on the politix.topix.com story from Aug 13, 2013, titled Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912?. In it, politix.topix.com reports that:

This exam was taken by middle schoolers in Bullitt County, Kentucky. The real test contained 58 questions and wasn't multiple choice.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at politix.topix.com.

Level 1

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#231 Aug 15, 2013
okimar wrote:
<quoted text>A bushel is two(2)pecks. A peck is 1/2 bushel or roughly 2(dry-more or less)gallons(by volume,not weight).
Ok, so a bushel is roughly 8 gallons?
I have a hard time with my crappy education, imaging a gallon as a dry weight/ not by volume
Mr Green

United States

#232 Aug 15, 2013
Politics again? See Jumper " genetic's".

Level 1

Location hidden

#233 Aug 15, 2013
okimar wrote:
<quoted text>I there ANY doubt we've been dumbed down over the years? Advances in technologies are not a guarantee of our superior education,not when we have kids graduating H/S who can't read or do bqasic math.
This is true, however; I don't think of it as being dumbed down, I think the choice of curriculum is the problem. Where our school systems place the emphasis is the problem- IMO

Level 7

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#236 Aug 15, 2013
That is a Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
They've actually done studies that prove that...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/23/fox-...
Kinda a tradeoff, when you consider how pro-black, HLN, MSNBC, CNN and NBC were shown to be, during the recent trayvon Martin situation.....

“Voters elect Big Bird”

Level 7

Since: Jan 07

Dump American Eagle

#237 Aug 15, 2013
formerlythere wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, so a bushel is roughly 8 gallons?
I have a hard time with my crappy education, imaging a gallon as a dry weight/ not by volume
More or less.... Its not written in stone. Okay,picture a plastic milk jug. The measurements are your guide. Fill it with beans or corn,that is your "dry gallon". Several of those make your bushel.

There IS no "crappy" education. It is what you make of it. I dropped out of school at 17 and joined the Marines. Went on to get my GED and college. You learn every day,whether you realize it or not. The human experience is a learning one. Its part of our DNA,our survival skillset,if you will.

A rural life taught me work ethics,agroskills,an appreciation of nature and the "circle of life" that makes our world go round.
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#238 Aug 15, 2013
formerlythere wrote:
<quoted text>
Within the quiz; the measurement of a bushel is unknown to me- I have heard I'd it, but I cannot define it.
The "orthography" section- come on, schools today still cannot decide if they should teach phonetically or not.
There is also more sections to this particular quiz... But I can only post 400 characters at a time and I am on my phone (:
A bushel is 4 pecks which is equivalent to 32 quarts. Lol. I passed most of the grammar, but failed on the rest.

Level 1

Location hidden

#241 Aug 15, 2013
okimar wrote:
<quoted text>More or less.... Its not written in stone. Okay,picture a plastic milk jug. The measurements are your guide. Fill it with beans or corn,that is your "dry gallon". Several of those make your bushel.

There IS no "crappy" education. It is what you make of it. I dropped out of school at 17 and joined the Marines. Went on to get my GED and college. You learn every day,whether you realize it or not. The human experience is a learning one. Its part of our DNA,our survival skillset,if you will.

A rural life taught me work ethics,agroskills,an appreciation of nature and the "circle of life" that makes our world go round.
I was being sarcastic, thanks for painting a picture- I was literally saying that a gallon is not a dry measurement.
As for the rest of your statement, I can agree.

“Voters elect Big Bird”

Level 7

Dump American Eagle

#242 Aug 15, 2013
NeoCon Whiners wrote:
<quoted text>
The only point okimar and the other right wing bubble inhabitants ever seem to make is that their inability to get over the presidential election has driven them insane. Even the picture on okimar's profile shows the irrational and obsessive hatred for the president and anyone else with differing political views.
Only a mouth foaming liberal could derive such a conclusion.... I saw Obama for what he was LONG before he EVER decided to delude GULIBLE dipwads like you to support his worthless azz. His DISMAL record as an Illinois State Senator SHOULD have been,and was,a warning what we would get from such a person. But NOOOOO....YOU dipwads heard the pretty words and neglected to LISTEN.

Personally,I might like Obama if I met him on the street. But I doubt he would give me the once over. I'm from Kentucky,rural. In HIS mind not worth talking to. I KNOW. I have kin in Chicago. We talk. Obama DISDAINS country folk. They are ALL Appalachian inbred moonshine running,feuding,gun loving,Bible thumping Rednecks to him. We KNOW this. Discrimination is NOT a one way street.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Level 1

Location hidden

#243 Aug 15, 2013
Misty eyed wrote:
<quoted text>A bushel is 4 pecks which is equivalent to 32 quarts. Lol. I passed most of the grammar, but failed on the rest.
Thank you!
So a bushel is a liquid measurement? I question this, because the way the quiz was worded-

Level 1

Location hidden

#244 Aug 15, 2013
formerlythere wrote:
<quoted text>Thank you!
So a bushel is a liquid measurement? I question this, because the way the quiz was worded-
I always go back to Peter Piper- how does one physically pick a peck(defined as a measure of liquid)

“Voters elect Big Bird”

Level 7

Dump American Eagle

#245 Aug 15, 2013
formerlythere wrote:
<quoted text>
You won't get an argument for me on that-
I am tend to be more liberal because if social issues... I don't care what you do, where you do it, nor with whom you do it.
Nor do I. Socially? I guess I'm Liberatarian(?). Economically,I'm pretty conservative. I'm getting tired of having my pocket picked by the government to support people I don't know,love or would miss if they died. That's just the way it is. I have too many of my OWN family to be worried about to be concerned with people I will never know.

“Voters elect Big Bird”

Level 7

Dump American Eagle

#246 Aug 15, 2013
Misty eyed wrote:
<quoted text> A bushel is 4 pecks which is equivalent to 32 quarts. Lol. I passed most of the grammar, but failed on the rest.
I stand corrected,thank you.
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#247 Aug 15, 2013
A liquid or dry unit of capacity, a British system. Just know the basics. hehehe
Mr Green

United States

#249 Aug 15, 2013
What lets just say would you feel if you had no family or work?
I agree on most part's & points?
But thing's change?
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#251 Aug 15, 2013
okimar wrote:
<quoted text>I stand corrected,thank you.
No, you're precise. Corn is measured in bushels.
How sad it is

Owensboro, KY

#262 Aug 15, 2013
NeoCon Whiners wrote:
<quoted text>The only point okimar and the other right wing bubble inhabitants ever seem to make is that their inability to get over the presidential election has driven them insane. Even the picture on okimar's profile shows the irrational and obsessive hatred for the president and anyone else with differing political views.
This okimar troll seems to have a lot of free time to practice her crying about Obama hobby. She's posted over 22,320 times since January 7! I don't know if that's funny or just plain sad. Lol
WTF

United States

#263 Aug 15, 2013
How sad it is wrote:
<quoted text>
This okimar troll seems to have a lot of free time to practice her crying about Obama hobby. She's posted over 22,320 times since January 7! I don't know if that's funny or just plain sad. Lol
22 thousand posts is definitely sad! Must be on here 24/7!
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#268 Aug 15, 2013
I can recall from school that the year 1066 was an important date to remember, but I can't remember why? or care. And I will go to my grave knowing that I need to remember 1066 and remember the first paragraph of some poem.

How long since I concerned myself with the number of rods in a mile or the square feet in an acre?

And no, Pi are not square as we learned in school. Pie are round, cornbread are square (unless it is fried).

What we learned in the past may possibly be useless facts in every day current life, and what we need to know now may or may not have been taught. Times change. Is is really dumbing down? why is money called currency? It is not very current.(at least not in my pocket).
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#269 Aug 16, 2013
formerlythere wrote:
<quoted text>
I always go back to Peter Piper- how does one physically pick a peck(defined as a measure of liquid)
It is probably as valid as "How much wood can a woodchuck chuck"? Seen any woodchucks chucking wood lately? And what activity involves "chucking" anyways ?
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#270 Aug 16, 2013
why do I need this to linger in my brain for so many years?

I have never seen a purple cow
I never hope to see one.
But I can tell you anyhow,
I'd rather see than be one.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Louisville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
jeffrey lynn haag ( sabre lane _ louisville ky (Aug '14) 1 hr edgar williams 14
Rebel111 1 hr ttfn 11
best nudist resort around 2 hr CoupleWantsToSwim 5
Kimberly Breeding 2 hr Jason M 5
free the weed (Mar '10) 3 hr ttfn 58
I'll s uck any d ick in Louisville (Oct '10) 5 hr rebel111 18
Smoking Ban Wrong (Jun '07) 9 hr lmfo 50
More from around the web

Louisville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE