Wheelchair ramp causing controversy a...

Wheelchair ramp causing controversy at Bardstown home

There are 41 comments on the WHAS11 story from Oct 7, 2013, titled Wheelchair ramp causing controversy at Bardstown home. In it, WHAS11 reports that:

A wheelchair ramp used by a 6-year-old child is at the center of a dispute between the girl's family and the city of Bardstown.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WHAS11.

vet

United States

#51 Oct 11, 2013
FYI wrote:
<quoted text>You didnt read the article about the people calling him out on his lies at the meeting did you?
http://nelsoncountygazette.com/...
How is it that Still Bill Sheckles is the City's Alcohol Beverage Control Administrator? Was he appointed.. & by whom? That just reeks of cronyism.
made possible via KRS

Bardstown, KY

#52 Oct 11, 2013
vet wrote:
<quoted text>
How is it that Still Bill Sheckles is the City's Alcohol Beverage Control Administrator? Was he appointed.. & by whom? That just reeks of cronyism.
http://www.cityofbardstown.com/pdfs-ordinance...
Sorry

Fairdale, KY

#55 Oct 11, 2013
Drama wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know anyone involved but I have gone through the approval process. Not a big deal. It seems to me that someone in the series of events reveled the drama.
Edit...reveled in the drama.
Charity Clarity

Bardstown, KY

#58 Oct 11, 2013
To anyone and everyone who is asking if they can help ... an account had been set up at Kentucky Home Bank in Bardstown.
When raising funds for individuals keep these factors in mind. Exhaust all usual financial aid services before going the fundraising route. Be mindful of legal and financial implications of fundraising, and plan fundraising activities have the lowest cost and most impact so that funds raised can go directly to those persons in need.

All monies via charitable contributions outside of a non profit organization may be considered as taxable income, and need to be reported on State & Federal income taxes and/or to case managers as unearned income, charitable contributions or donations. The proper guide lines are very strict.
late

United States

#59 Oct 11, 2013
This announcement is late. Exhaust what means of financial outlets? The couple gave them money for the waiver.
Charity Clarity wrote:
To anyone and everyone who is asking if they can help ... an account had been set up at Kentucky Home Bank in Bardstown.
When raising funds for individuals keep these factors in mind. Exhaust all usual financial aid services before going the fundraising route. Be mindful of legal and financial implications of fundraising, and plan fundraising activities have the lowest cost and most impact so that funds raised can go directly to those persons in need.
All monies via charitable contributions outside of a non profit organization may be considered as taxable income, and need to be reported on State & Federal income taxes and/or to case managers as unearned income, charitable contributions or donations. The proper guide lines are very strict.
truth

Bardstown, KY

#60 Oct 11, 2013
Corky wrote:
Its all about the city getting free money in the form of permits. Quite sickening, I could understand if they were building a carport, an addition, or an elevator inside for the little girl, but a handicap ramp. They should be ashamed!
So true. It's all about the government using whatever they can to take more money from us.
Linkcoln

Bardstown, KY

#61 Oct 12, 2013
truth wrote:
<quoted text>
So true. It's all about the government using whatever they can to take more money from us.
Government of the Government, by the Government, for the Government, shall not perish from Bardstown
Stephanie

Bardstown, KY

#71 Oct 20, 2013
Townsie wrote:
The news story really made our town look bad. In the end, the landlord is at fault. He was supposed to file the paperwork 4 months ago. People have tried to call in to donate but with the lazy landlord nobody can. Its not an issue of money. Its an issue of following the law. Anyone who lives within city limits knows how strict they are. If you dont like it, dont live there!
I am Faiths mother .... we never knew that we needed a permit for the ramp ... just about any other city you live in in Kentucky you don't need a permit ti build a ramp ... and yes it made the city look bad but if the mayor and the people at planing and zoning had not been so ugly, nasty, and rude, this could have been different .... and guessed people may be back stepping now, but when I am told Oohh you have to pay so much money or we the city are going to make you take this ramp out ... yes it is about the money ... it makes me sick .... and put your self in my shoes what would you do if you had a child like mine ...!
Stephanie

Bardstown, KY

#72 Oct 20, 2013
What wrote:
What can we, as a community do? Take up a collection? Protest at the courthouse?
A fund has been started in her name to help. Faith Gregory Benefit account @ Kentucky Home Bank in Bardstown Ky
Stephanie

Bardstown, KY

#73 Oct 20, 2013
attention wrote:
Who is the landlord please? And neighborhood please? This story is absolutely ridiculous, this family & child should not be going through this humiliation. Would like to help.
you can contact the family on facenook on the page Love and Hope for Faith
Stephanie

Bardstown, KY

#74 Oct 20, 2013
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>
how do you figure Sheckles is involved in this ?
the controversy was between the homeowner, David Newton, and Planning & Zoning Commission, of which the City of Bardstown has no direct control over.
not defending, just asking ?
if you are taking your comment from the WHAS 11 story:
[A wheelchair ramp used by a 6-year-old child is at the center of a dispute between the girl's family and the city of Bardstown.]
they should be corrected and made to publish a correction to the story.
the "City", nor the "Mayor" (whom I guess you meant to infer by {Sheckles}) wasn't involved in this, directly.
Yes he is very much involved ... he has made very nasty phone galled to me and he could have went to planning and zoning and stopped all of this but chose to sit on his fat butt and just make nasty calls and tell me it was in my best interstice not to speak to the media (and I dis not weak the media out they came to me about all of this) put your self in my child's "shoes " what would you do if this was your kid ...!!!
Stephanie

Bardstown, KY

#75 Oct 20, 2013
BOB LIVERS wrote:
<quoted text>
IF YOU REALLY HAD ANY IDEA WHO THE WOMAN WAS THAT ACUSSED THE MAYOR YOU WOULD NOT PAID ANY ATTENTION TO THIS WHOLE THING. I KNOW HER ONLY TOO WELL. BELIEVE ME SHE IS A LIAR. THIS IS ALL ABOUT HER GETTING ATTENTION. NOTHING ELSE
l

You are saying that you know me ... if you know me then tell me how ... I just moved to this city 2 years ago and I don't know who you are ... and yes the mayor is a liar .... what ie told me on the phone and what he is telling everyone else is 2 different things .... what do you call that .... and if you know mw so well you would know I am not a liar but you can say I'm a very good mother who will fight to the ends of time for my little girl ...!
bad parents

Bardstown, KY

#76 Oct 20, 2013
What makes me wonder if the parents failed to follow the rules passed by Dean Watts and his crew, then open a bank account for raising $200 dollars, one must naturally ask WTF? The landlord paid the bill, but the parents want the money back?

Dean, why not pay the bill yourself since you have made millions off the people of Nelson County? You made these rules, not live by them and own them? And to the parents, stop scamming.
lair

Bardstown, KY

#77 Oct 20, 2013
I thought all of this stuff was over?
Ballz Ez-Hari

Lexington, KY

#78 Oct 20, 2013
Gotta love the constant changing of names in these threads,it's like they are afraid to be held responsible for their comments.So they hide behind a new moniker each and every day..SMH
Scam

Fairdale, KY

#79 Oct 20, 2013
I smell a scam and wouldn't donate a penny.
Stephanie

Bardstown, KY

#80 Oct 20, 2013
bad parents wrote:
What makes me wonder if the parents failed to follow the rules passed by Dean Watts and his crew, then open a bank account for raising $200 dollars, one must naturally ask WTF? The landlord paid the bill, but the parents want the money back?
Dean, why not pay the bill yourself since you have made millions off the people of Nelson County? You made these rules, not live by them and own them? And to the parents, stop scamming.
Scamming ... no ... the landlord paid for it first and we had to repay him all the money for the fees .... but this is not only for the ramp we are also saying if anyone would like to help us with her medical cost they can .. unless you have a special needs child and know his much it cost to drive to Louisville all the time for doctors, medical test, theripy, and her medical supplies we have to pay out of pocket then you have no right to say a word so the best thing you can do is say your sorry ... if you spent one day in our shoes you would understand but you cant so you don't ...
Stephanie

Bardstown, KY

#81 Oct 20, 2013
Scam wrote:
I smell a scam and wouldn't donate a penny.
And I was asked to set up an account by a few different people who wanted to help ... I don't see how you think we are trying to scam people .. like I told the other person .. unless you know what it is like and how much it cost to care for a special needs child then you have no room to talk ... if you want something to really hitch about how about helping me go after my child real dad who is over $15,000 behind in child support ....
Nope

Fairdale, KY

#82 Oct 20, 2013
Stephanie wrote:
<quoted text>
Scamming ... no ... the landlord paid for it first and we had to repay him all the money for the fees .... but this is not only for the ramp we are also saying if anyone would like to help us with her medical cost they can .. unless you have a special needs child and know his much it cost to drive to Louisville all the time for doctors, medical test, theripy, and her medical supplies we have to pay out of pocket then you have no right to say a word so the best thing you can do is say your sorry ... if you spent one day in our shoes you would understand but you cant so you don't ...
Thought a couple from Louisville wrote a check to cover the expenses, if any, related to planning and zoning. That issue is closed.

Now, as a completely separate issue, you want to know if people want to donate to assist with the costs of raising a special needs child.
The Truth

Bardstown, KY

#83 Oct 20, 2013
Stephanie,
Go apply or file a Variance, tell them you own the property and didn't know you had to get permission to build on YOUR OWN property!
It's that simple!
Hope this helped!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Louisville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trump for President, He will win. watch 3 hr scotty steiner 2,046
Poll Any Good Adult Theaters for Couples in Louisvil... (Nov '12) 13 hr ramblintadpole 18
Rebecca Pivot 14 hr Beevus 2
pancreatic cancer 15 hr Our Lord 5
is the Foxy lady a good place to work ? Money w... (Sep '14) 15 hr Angela 30
Ford's pre-employment test (Aug '11) 16 hr TomBar 415
Solar Power Outlawed in Louisville! 21 hr Coal is King 6

Louisville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Louisville Mortgages