Minivan stop ends in shots fired, hig...

Minivan stop ends in shots fired, high speed chase for family

There are 55 comments on the WHAS11 story from Nov 16, 2013, titled Minivan stop ends in shots fired, high speed chase for family. In it, WHAS11 reports that:

Video from a police dashboard camera showed how a routine traffic stop devolved into an intense incident that involved a high speed chase and a police officer appearing to shoot at van full of children.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WHAS11.

Since: Nov 13

Location hidden

#27 Nov 19, 2013
fscott wrote:
I watched the police video and that women is lucky to be alive. She needs to do some serious jail time simply for putting her children at risk. I have to say I question the officer who shot at her vehicle but isn't it time we start punishing criminals rather than give them a pass and go after the police office who was just trying to do his job.
That's one point of view, but it can also be viewed that she was protecting her children since the 14 year old had already confronted the PO. Confronted being a strong word, because in his mind he was protecting his mother. Why she drove away the first time I don't know, but I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt. Could have been a language barrier or confusion. Driving away from the law doesn't always mean evading.

“Each Thought Creates A Reality”

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#28 Nov 19, 2013
Well it is going to be a training tape for sure. Drive away once, okay. Drive away twice? Back-up? Block her vehicle in? Break glass on the far passenger window? Shoot at the back of an accelerating vehicle with 5 children in it...all essentially hostages?

“US Navy”

Level 5

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#29 Nov 19, 2013
Scarecrow wrote:
The woman was probably high on drugs or just crazy. The cop that shot the car needs to be transferred to the rubber gun squad.......
News reported LE had found two MJ pipes in her van when it was searched, but I've heard nothing further on that point so... Maybe that's why she drove off initially, then it escalated. There's way more to this entire story than meets the eye, neither side seems real innocent. One thing for sure, it has been an educational trip<no pun intended, lol>.
ukdirector

Salisbury, UK

#30 Nov 19, 2013
Totally uncalled for, that cop should be up for attempted murder charges, it was disgusting & disturbing to watch. The cop is supposed to be upholding law and order in a civilized country, but apparently that cop is far from civilized, the contempt for public safety is staggering.

I hope that cop serves a long jail sentence to discourages others from acting like crazed gunmen in the future.

“US Navy”

Level 5

Location hidden

#31 Nov 19, 2013
Duchess1959 wrote:
<quoted text>That's one point of view, but it can also be viewed that she was protecting her children since the 14 year old had already confronted the PO. Confronted being a strong word, because in his mind he was protecting his mother. Why she drove away the first time I don't know, but I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt. Could have been a language barrier or confusion. Driving away from the law doesn't always mean evading.
Yes, she was evading them. There was no reason for her to drive off initially. That's what caused the 2nd stop, which then escalated into the fiasco caught on dash cam. Had she done as was initially requested, like most of us would if caught speeding, none of this would have occurred. I'm not giving LE a free pass here, just saying it all could have been avoided has she not driven off the 1st time. LE handled it terribly, but, just saying.
reason

Albuquerque, NM

#32 Nov 19, 2013
Who knows why the first drive away, but the second was obvious. Screaming cops with guns, tazers, batons already physically grabbing her and then having her windows broken, glass flying in on five panicking screaming kids, drive off to protect the children.
The driver back east that was hemmed in by bikers did the same thing as they were slashing tires, beating on windows, he took off to protect the family running over one of the thugs in the process. AFAIK he has not been charged. Not much difference here other than the thugs wore uniforms and were armed and showed indifference to handling things with 1 adult and 5 children. Tey were all the enemy.
truth

Albuquerque, NM

#33 Nov 19, 2013
those state boys need to get first class reprimand.
Breaking out windows?!?!

I'd TERMINATE the one who shot at the car. A complete lack of judgement with a deadly weapon. That van posed NO threat to anyone.

This is going to cost NM some serious bucks. Frankly I hope she wins big.

This proves the State Patrol has some house cleaning to do.

Arrogant SOB's

Since: Oct 13

Location hidden

#34 Nov 19, 2013
Am I the only one who saw this video? There was no language barrier or confusion the cop had his cuffs out trying to handcuff her and holding on to her she then continued to run to her car then the 14 year old who I'm sure was taught to respect authority proceeded to scream and hit the cop. So now this cop should have gone on a chase endangering everyone else on the road for this ghetto trash? Really people open your eyes

Since: Nov 13

Location hidden

#35 Nov 19, 2013
reason wrote:
Who knows why the first drive away, but the second was obvious. Screaming cops with guns, tazers, batons already physically grabbing her and then having her windows broken, glass flying in on five panicking screaming kids, drive off to protect the children.
The driver back east that was hemmed in by bikers did the same thing as they were slashing tires, beating on windows, he took off to protect the family running over one of the thugs in the process. AFAIK he has not been charged. Not much difference here other than the thugs wore uniforms and were armed and showed indifference to handling things with 1 adult and 5 children. Tey were all the enemy.
I totally agree with you. Here is an updated report if you're interested.
http://www.taosnews.com/news/article_401433ae...
Rise Up

United States

#36 Nov 19, 2013
F*cking state cops are a bunch of wife beating, child abusing, fascist pigs.
Stopping

Sterling Heights, MI

#37 Nov 19, 2013
reason wrote:
at first means none of the following stuff would have occurred. She knew he was a cop, no question. They'd have never found the drug paraphernalia had she done as she should have either. She's to blame, she caused it to escalate. Why did she run the first time? Be responsible for your actions. That goes for the overboard actions of the cops too.

This case and scenario have nada to do with your redirection, they share no similarities at all.
robert

Silver City, NM

#39 Nov 19, 2013
THE GREEN WATCH DOG wrote:
<quoted text>From what I can see the NM State police acted in accordance with all procedures with the exception of shooting a gun at the vehicle moving away. The policeman who shot not only endangered the lives of ones in the vehicle, but also the police officer to the right of him In the direction of fire.
This is the reason policemens wifes carry a shield in their purses to flash in case they are stopped for speeding .

IN SIMPLE WORDS the shield given to policemens wives prove EVEN POLICE DONT TRUST other police to treat people with kindness .

i think kindness has to be taught and start some where . why not police academys? all they seem to be teaching now to cadets is
were all out to get them so get us first.
robert

Silver City, NM

#40 Nov 19, 2013
Jade420 wrote:
Am I the only one who saw this video? There was no language barrier or confusion the cop had his cuffs out trying to handcuff her and holding on to her she then continued to run to her car then the 14 year old who I'm sure was taught to respect authority proceeded to scream and hit the cop. So now this cop should have gone on a chase endangering everyone else on the road for this ghetto trash? Really people open your eyes
perhaps every person in the united states should be required many times to at lest learn and review frequently what these bible verses teach about how precious every human life is.. IT WOULD SAVE MANY POLICEMENS LIVES TO ------IF IT WERE REQUIRED

romans 5:6-10
You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. 7 Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a good person someone might possibly dare to die. 8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

9 Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from God’s wrath through him! 10 For if, while we were God’s enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life!

“US Navy”

Level 5

Location hidden

#41 Nov 19, 2013
Jade420 wrote:
You're seeing stop #2, not Stop #1. She drove off twice. In stop #1 there was no aggression, no cuffs, gun & only one cop. She drives off and then the segment you're referring to occurs. Then she drives off a 2nd time, speeding into Taos & is arrested. The media is queueing on stop #2 as there is drama there, not so stop #1. Regardless, the LEO's actions were IMO unjustified as it relates to the gun shots.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/201...

“US Navy”

Level 5

Location hidden

#42 Nov 19, 2013
robert wrote:
<quoted text>
This is the reason policemens wifes carry a shield in their purses to flash in case they are stopped for speeding .
IN SIMPLE WORDS the shield given to policemens wives prove EVEN POLICE DONT TRUST other police to treat people with kindness .
i think kindness has to be taught and start some where . why not police academys? all they seem to be teaching now to cadets is
were all out to get them so get us first.
Hmmm, what about her respecting the law and her owning up to her speeding, instead of driving off - twice? The police action taken after stop 2 was not justified IMO but none of it would have occurred had she done as initially instructed and owned up to her speeding. Do people truly think they can be stopped, be told to wait there and just drive off because they feel like it?
Ralph

Bloomingdale, IN

#43 Nov 19, 2013
THE GREEN WATCH DOG wrote:
<quoted text> The boy should have stayed vehicle. He's lucky he did not get taken down into the pavement or zapped with the taser. The officer missed that opportunity. I'm sure he was asked who he was and his age while he was racing to get back in his mother's van.
No the police officer wanted a piece of the 14 year old. Charge, contempt of cop. You won't find that one on the books though. When the officer broke the glass mom knew, or felt her childs life was in danger, and drove away. I guess when the other officer opened fire her fears were correct. Luckily noone was killed.
It appeared that she then drove to a public place to be arrested.
Arn't dash cams, and cel phone cams wonderfull?

“US Navy”

Level 5

Location hidden

#44 Nov 19, 2013
Ralph wrote:
<quoted text>...When the officer broke the glass mom knew, or felt her childs life was in danger, and drove away. I guess when the other officer opened fire her fears were correct. Luckily noone was killed.
It appeared that she then drove to a public place to be arrested.
Arn't dash cams, and cel phone cams wonderfull?
They sure are, particularly when they show her driving off for no reason, being stopped again, then driving off a second time, this time being when all the real ruckus started. She could have avoided any detrimental action but chose not to by driving off twice.

“Each Thought Creates A Reality”

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#45 Nov 19, 2013
Talk to a LEO...why hitting the back passenger side window. Why try to hit tires on a vehicle accelerating away from you...how wide are your tires when you look at your vehicle from the rear...And...drum roll....

Good thing the short sight radius and adrenaline would not affect you hitting an object the size of...? And....

Good thing the van's GAS TANK is in the front...
Ralph

Bloomingdale, IN

#46 Nov 19, 2013
CornDogz wrote:
<quoted text>
They sure are, particularly when they show her driving off for no reason, being stopped again, then driving off a second time, this time being when all the real ruckus started. She could have avoided any detrimental action but chose not to by driving off twice.
No, once the boy intervened, the poo was definately in the fire. There were many actions in this event that if they were done differently, there would have been, potentially, a more peacefull outcome. I truly hope the policeman that fired his weapon is placed on permanent jail guarding, or fired.

Since: Oct 13

Location hidden

#47 Nov 19, 2013
robert wrote:
<quoted text>perhaps every person in the united states should be required many times to at lest learn and review frequently what these bible verses teach about how precious every human life is.. IT WOULD SAVE MANY POLICEMENS LIVES TO ------IF IT WERE REQUIRED

romans 5:6-10
You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. 7 Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a good person someone might possibly dare to die. 8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

9 Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from God’s wrath through him! 10 For if, while we were God’s enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life!
Not everyone in the United States reads the bible.... U sound like a nut

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Louisville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trump for President, He will win. watch 30 min Scotty Steiner 187
Where are all the street walkers and hookers in... (Nov '15) 1 hr Carmine 25
Pedophiles 2 hr Mikey 8
Adam martinez (Dec '15) 5 hr question 36
Brenda drexler (Sep '10) 21 hr big boy 2
News Publishers Printing to close Shepherdsville pla... 22 hr Shelby 9
Congrats Govonor Bevins Fri Andrew 1

Louisville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance