Rising Electric Rates - Part Two

Rising Electric Rates - Part Two

There are 13 comments on the ISurfHopkins story from Jul 7, 2010, titled Rising Electric Rates - Part Two. In it, ISurfHopkins reports that:

HOPKINS COUNTY, KY Kentucky businesses and industries are getting another blow. If an ice storm and a bad economy weren't enough, local business will be hit with a third round of electric utility hikes in less than 18 months.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at ISurfHopkins.

jumper

Owensboro, KY

#1 Jul 7, 2010
It's not over till the fat lady sings.

“Dont tell me my dress is black”

Level 1

Since: Nov 09

Pig, KY

#2 Jul 7, 2010
And they tell you that the electricity company is a "cooperative". Patrons are the owners, LOL. What a load of bull; if you're late on a payment will the let the owner decide whether or not the electricity stays on? LOL. Do the "owners" get a say as to whether or not the prices increase?

They are full of more shit than a Christmas turkey.
jumper

Owensboro, KY

#3 Jul 7, 2010
I know a couple that moved here from Ill. last month.They had good refrences from their electric co.They wanted $250 to turn on their lights.And said they didn't want to look at what another company said about their bills.
professorjoe

Lewisburg, KY

#4 Jul 8, 2010
Public utilities are actually quasi-government agencies that mask themselves as coops, but are really just cooped with the other utility companies and the government. The "real" issue here is Jack Conway's personal financial holdings in power companies. He "had" to recommend the denial on some basis to keep the media off of his back during his Senate election in November. He was requested, under the radar, to recuse himself from a decision because of conflict of interest. Instead, he used the power (no pun intended) to block the measure as a marketing device for the upcoming election. The ethical thing to do would have been acknowledged the problem, but then it would have become apparent to the voters who do not pay much attention to anything outside of the mainstream media that he actually is a corporatist, and maybe a republican in democrat's clothing. If the companies are actually sold, as he claims, guess what happens to his stock? You guess it. So, he looks kinda okay politically (especially if you don't know where he is invested) and he gets paid too. Oh yeah, there is a huge campaign contribution connected to this case, FYI, which he also kept.
jumper

Owensboro, KY

#5 Jul 8, 2010
professorjoe wrote:
Public utilities are actually quasi-government agencies that mask themselves as coops, but are really just cooped with the other utility companies and the government. The "real" issue here is Jack Conway's personal financial holdings in power companies. He "had" to recommend the denial on some basis to keep the media off of his back during his Senate election in November. He was requested, under the radar, to recuse himself from a decision because of conflict of interest. Instead, he used the power (no pun intended) to block the measure as a marketing device for the upcoming election. The ethical thing to do would have been acknowledged the problem, but then it would have become apparent to the voters who do not pay much attention to anything outside of the mainstream media that he actually is a corporatist, and maybe a republican in democrat's clothing. If the companies are actually sold, as he claims, guess what happens to his stock? You guess it. So, he looks kinda okay politically (especially if you don't know where he is invested) and he gets paid too. Oh yeah, there is a huge campaign contribution connected to this case, FYI, which he also kept.
You sure are smart on the subject.No wonder most of us get taken for a ride by the County so often.If we didn't have to take care of every-day life,we might be better informed.It's good some people won't fall for their con-job.
professorjoe

Lewisburg, KY

#6 Jul 9, 2010
Thanks Jumper. I agree wholeheartedly about the average person being so locked into their personal lives. I am fortunate enough to have the time and the education in the discipline to stay on top of much of this. I do political blogging too. My info on Conway, oddly enough, came from a claim by Rand Paul against Conway's ties to the utilities industry. I am a firm believer that our representatives are professional politicians first; and whatever they are elected to is second. The Dem/Rep thing is a marketing brand. Somebody gotta keep 'em straight.

“Dont tell me my dress is black”

Level 1

Since: Nov 09

Pig, KY

#7 Jul 9, 2010
It doesn't really matter how smart you are, what you do, or who you expose. If you don't pay your bill, they'll be getting the last laugh.

They own you regardless of however you want to see it, that is unless you put the time and effort into converting your home to an alternate source or just want to do without.

We just have to bend over and take it.
jumper

Owensboro, KY

#8 Jul 10, 2010
Ape Linkon wrote:
It doesn't really matter how smart you are, what you do, or who you expose. If you don't pay your bill, they'll be getting the last laugh.
They own you regardless of however you want to see it, that is unless you put the time and effort into converting your home to an alternate source or just want to do without.
We just have to bend over and take it.
Sorry Ape,you have a big brain too.
Jesse

Greenville, KY

#9 Nov 27, 2012
We need to pay more, we need the liberals to tell us what to pay, we need the dems to charge us more, we need Al Sharpton to shepherd our money, we need Jesse Jackson to set the rates, we need a government program...
markie

Lexington, KY

#10 Nov 27, 2012
the people need to learn their place, give corporations free reign, pay them your money, and stfu!

if u let the corporations makes the decisions for the people, im sure prices will go down, since that's the right thang to do. esp in Coal Country
Trapped

United States

#11 Nov 28, 2012
It's a monopoly and there's nothing we can do about it! Unless everyone wants to go back to the stone ages
Scarecrow

Shepherdsville, KY

#12 Nov 28, 2012
Here is a link for electrict cars.

http://jalopnik.com/5926247/did-nikola-tesla-...

Here is a link for free zero point energy.

markie

Lexington, KY

#13 Nov 28, 2012
maybe if we all just pay twice our electric bills... u know, to give the coal companies an xtra fat bonus check, maybe they'll care so much for us, they'll lower the rates... just for the heck of it. just b/c. for no reason. since that's what benevolent corporations do. they are the job creators... thx coal monopoly, for keeping some families fed, and others out in the cold. Marry Christmas poor people with poor families! Coal Kuntry my azz.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Louisville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Applebee's 39 min Buzzxtreme 3
The Healing Place (Feb '11) 1 hr guy 19
Last Post Wins (Mar '11) 3 hr Concerned_American 8,025
Glenview Park Subdivision (Apr '12) 3 hr carol 20
Debate: Gay Marriage - Louisville, KY (Jul '10) 6 hr rich 299
Spewin refried beans 8 hr RazzleMyDazzle 1
Candace Stevens Hall 9 hr EIIa 4
More from around the web

Louisville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE