Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Comments
81,321 - 81,340 of 81,558 Comments Last updated 19 hrs ago
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2014

Anne52 wrote:
Good Evening!
Perfect Sunday here! We took a little trip today and visited a beautiful lighthouse. It would be wonderful to travel around to take pics of all the lighthouses! We dropped $60 to take the ferry out to the island and it was worth every penny! The campground even had yurts to rent! A good day.
Ferry.. There is a ferry across Mobile Bay from Dauphin Island to Spanish Fort Alabama but I do not recall it costing anything. That is where (during the Civil War), Union Admiral David Farragut said "Damn the torpedoes (mines), Full steam ahead" and captured the Confederate port city. Later he also captured New Orleans and gained control of the Mississippi River with U.S. Grant's seige of Vicksburg on the river.

Mississippi Man had previously spoken about the town of Corinth, which was a key rail head on the Chattanooga-Memphis line with an intersection coming up from Mobile, Alabama. Interrupting the flow of goods with the capture of those 2 port cities, Vicksburg and Corinth was the beginning of the end for the Confederacy and allowed Sherman (who replaced the promoted Grant) to march south from Chattanooga to Atlanta and then on to the sea at Savannah, then north to Charleston and Columbia South Carolina where the secession first began. It is a very interesting area to visit and there is also a nice light house one can see on Tybee Island at Savannah.

A note on Southern humor... After Katrina some guy near Dauphin Island had put his rural mail box up on a 30 foot tall post and had attached a sign reading "For Air Mail" lol
Amaze

Booneville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2014

checking wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm still waiting in my bunker for the after shocks to pass.
LOL.
Tollesboro Guy

Brookville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2014

Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text> Ferry.. There is a ferry across Mobile Bay from Dauphin Island to Spanish Fort Alabama but I do not recall it costing anything. That is where (during the Civil War), Union Admiral David Farragut said "Damn the torpedoes (mines), Full steam ahead" and captured the Confederate port city. Later he also captured New Orleans and gained control of the Mississippi River with U.S. Grant's seige of Vicksburg on the river.
Mississippi Man had previously spoken about the town of Corinth, which was a key rail head on the Chattanooga-Memphis line with an intersection coming up from Mobile, Alabama. Interrupting the flow of goods with the capture of those 2 port cities, Vicksburg and Corinth was the beginning of the end for the Confederacy and allowed Sherman (who replaced the promoted Grant) to march south from Chattanooga to Atlanta and then on to the sea at Savannah, then north to Charleston and Columbia South Carolina where the secession first began. It is a very interesting area to visit and there is also a nice light house one can see on Tybee Island at Savannah.
A note on Southern humor... After Katrina some guy near Dauphin Island had put his rural mail box up on a 30 foot tall post and had attached a sign reading "For Air Mail" lol
AW,
We have a mailbox right down the street like that and I have seen another, somewhere on HWY 110 which runs from Ardmore, TN to Fayetteville, TN, right on the TN/AL line where we lived for many years. Little village with an intersection, two corner stores and a blinking caution light. Headed north from that intersection toward Coldwater, TN is the most beautiful 10 mile stretch of road where the trees form a perfect, covered arch in the summer. A little brook runs alongside the road and it is totally flat and straight. One of the prettiest stretch of road you could ever hope to see and I have traveled the back-roads of this great Republic for many years.
I love ferries and I am lucky enough, right here on the Ohio river, to live between two. A tugboat and barge runs year round from Augusta, KY to Ripley, OH. Not many cars, trucks at a time but he comes right back if there is a line. Worth waiting for, saves many miles from driving to the bridge. http://augustaky.com/ferry-cam-2/ They could have done this better but mildly interesting.
Perfect day to mow this monster lawn but by the time I get out of the office I am not going to want to tackle it. I screwed up, reached above my head with both arms and an angled pitchfork to rake some hay off the top level round bale and ripped the upper right nylon threads that hold my pain pump in place completely loose. Hurt like heck and now they will have to admit me to go in and sew it back again. I know better, wife was right there and said don't do it. So there's another birthday present for her 60th today. She gets to say "I told you!" Such is Life....

Since: Mar 14

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2014

Mississippi Man wrote:
"""HEY EVERYBODY"" !!!....and Wolf, thanks for the "well wish'n." That tornado just "BARELY" missed us, it went thru a little to the south of us but we sure got the tail winds, lightning and rain. Once again, it blew our transformer out up there on the pole and flat fried our Comcast network. We had to wait so long because repairmen were so-o-o-o far behind because of the two recent storms. We had to buy another new modum for the computers but......here I am!

I finally got the galvanized piping taken in to the "bending" company for my hand rails along the sidewalk. They did a great job of bending the pieces like I wanted. Now, gotta assemble it all and set it in Sacrete.

The Belle and I bought enough man-made field stone to make a stone walk way to the storage shed. I've had enough mud, etc. But I really have a poor back and have to take it very slow. Three operations on my lower back..........that's enough!

We caught two young coons in the homemade trap last week, they looked so cute but pitiful looking up and out the heavy screened door.......they walked,...or I should say ran! Have I said this...?...the mature coon before them chewed his way out, had to patch the floor. But the latest is (was) a ground hog eating away in the back yard. I kept waiting for him to get into the trap but nope! I snuck out with the shot gun and sent him to his eternal home. I "DID NOT" want him setting up housekeeping "under" the yard.
Ah, the joys of spring !! You and belle have enough projects going on! I like the stone walk idea.. I brought home some Pennsylvania blue stone last fall.. Between my car and the truck bed i ended up with 50-60 sq feet! It's the trim pieces from larger cut stones but the price was right: free! It's different lengths and widths as well as different depths so it will be a giant puzzle to lay into a walkway. One of those "honey do" jobs. Lol.

The skunk nest problem seems to have disappeared while I was gone. Lol. His nice! I've not had to deal with groundhogs or raccoons but, knock on wood....I won't have any!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2014

Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>Ferry.. There is a ferry across Mobile Bay from Dauphin Island to Spanish Fort Alabama but I do not recall it costing anything. That is where (during the Civil War), Union Admiral David Farragut said "Damn the torpedoes (mines), Full steam ahead" and captured the Confederate port city. Later he also captured New Orleans and gained control of the Mississippi River with U.S. Grant's seige of Vicksburg on the river.

Ferrys. Generally I like them!! The one car ferry we used to cross on in western KY is a little nerve wracking though, but we always made it across. The larger one we crossed the Mississippi River on was quite a bit larger and one time, I know the chain across the ramp opening was touching our bumper--we were that close to the edge! The ferry across Northumberland Strait was massive. Lower level held many semi trucks with trailers. The middle two decks held passenger cars and light trucks and the upper deck held benches for those wanting to bask in the sun. I don't remember the price for the smaller ferrys but that one was $40 round trip ( in 1992). Yesterday the ferry was $60 with our senior discount. It held around 20 cars and you couldn't see the water from the main deck as the metal walls were about 4 foot high and the metal ramps were lifted to cover the ramp opening. The island, Kelleys Island, has some natural glacial gorges that's very interesting. There's an ancient "Inscription Rock" from the Indians time, the houses were all unique --no cookie cutter houses there for sure !

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2014

Howdy strangers! How has everyone been doing now that Old Man Winter has been strangled by this gorgeous weather! I'm in Heaven watching all of my flowers come to bloom!!!

I've missed you all. Glad to see everyone here still.
:)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2014

Tollesboro Guy wrote:
<quoted text>AW,
We have a mailbox right down the street like that ...
Perfect day to mow this monster lawn but by the time I get out of the office I am not going to want to tackle it. I screwed up, reached above my head with both arms and an angled pitchfork to rake some hay off the top level round bale and ripped the upper right nylon threads that hold my pain pump in place completely loose. Hurt like heck and now they will have to admit me to go in and sew it back again. I know better, wife was right there and said don't do it. So there's another birthday present for her 60th today. She gets to say "I told you!" Such is Life....
Lol, I've seen a couple of those"air mail" mail boxes also . Pretty neat!
Like you I love riding on the country roads. I feel like one of those bobble headed dogs people put on their car dash.. Looking this way, looking that way ...except when I'm headed home then its interstate all the way!!
I get my mower back tomorrow and I've got a 5 gallon can of gas ready to use .
TG, please be careful..and I know where you're wifes coming from.. Lol, my better half pulls some good ones too! Happy birthday to her!! Tell her my 60th year was one of my best and I wish her the same!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2014

BIG_STEVIE wrote:
One day, Uncle Tabby decided to face his fears, and go riding on a horse.

It was easy for him to get on, and he was doing just fine until the horse started to go faster, and he started slipping off the saddle. He couldnÂ’t hold on to the horse, and his head started bumping the ground.

He was almost knocked unconscious when the Wal-Mart manager came out, and unplugged the machine.
Lol, cute one, Big Stevie! Drop in again!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2014

Those "airmail" boxes are a blast from my childhood past. What I also still enjoy seeing are the "See Rock City" mailboxes and barn writings. Also the "Ruby Falls" advertisements.
Good times!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2014

(My "See Rock City" bird house finally succumbed to the elements. I need a new one but hear they've quit making them now)...
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2014

Judged:

_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
Those "airmail" boxes are a blast from my childhood past. What I also still enjoy seeing are the "See Rock City" mailboxes and barn writings. Also the "Ruby Falls" advertisements.
Good times!
Childhood signs... How about the Burma Shave series of signs with a word on each to make a sentence as you drove along the two lane highways? Speaking of which, I always try to stay off the Interstates with nothing but concrete, asphalt, and steel. I think one of the prettiest roads is the Natchez Trace.. 300 miles of no commercial traffic or buildings and speed limit of 50 mph.
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2014

actually the Natchez Trace is longer than 300 miles, but I dropped off somewhere around 300 miles instead of going on to Natchez.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2014

See Rock City

Ruby Falls

Oh, Nope, those I remember! Finally one day, now many years ago, we visited both places! Had a great trip too! But the Burma Shave signs I simply don't remember.( maybe I'm just a tad too young). At one point I owned a book with pictures of the Burma Shave signs, pretty interesting!
Glad you stopped by!
Well, AW, how's baby wolf coming along? Keep us updated...
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2014

Judged:

there is an old saying wrote:
About treating loved ones like birds.
You're exactly right,.........for example..........
Hey, Bird Dog get away from my quail,
Hey, Bird Dog, you're on the wrong trail,
Bird Dog, ya better leave my lovey dove aloooOOoonnne....

(jerk'n memory strings!)
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2014

@ Anne & Wolf..........shore do remember the little red Burma Shave signs along the roads and have read a plenty of them and how many do I remember........?.none, but that's my usual!
Was riding across the Illinois River on one of them "diesel rafts" one time and the river was calmly flowing, just rippling along and the tide and light confused me so that I didn't know north from south. Sorta mesmerized, I guess. Sorta humbling to think about that.
Those 30' high mail boxes - I've only seen one for real and it's right over across the way on Cayce Road from us. However, in the Country Magazines (ya all get them?) they had a picture of one way up there and "BILLS ONLY" was lettered on its side. Guess if ya don't get bills, ya don't have to pay 'em, huh?
Hey Anne, didja ever get the mason to lay all them fancy flat rocks that you'd confiscated somewhere? I remember you saying that he was pretty ------expensive.
Well,.........finally got all the fertilizer, lime and insect/grub worm/mole deviant/killer all spread out, even along the road side of the pine trees. Between the poison and spiked traps (12 of 'em) we pretty well thinned out the moles last year. I also put out four of those solar devices last year that send out vibrations and sends the moles somewhere else. Something worked! This year,........we'll see!
They've put the oldest girl in the family, 87, in a nursing care facility up in Carlinville, ILL. She was unresponsive but has since started talking some. It don't look good, may have to take a trip up there. One of her sons has been good at keeping the rest of us posted thru e-mail.
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2014

Ruby Falls.. I have been in there. You walk way back into a cave and there is a small falls of water in there. The tour guide said they did not know where the water came from or where it was going. That being the case, my thoughts were then how do they know that the flow won't increase and fill this dang cave up? I left... LOL
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2014

Anne52 wrote:
See Rock City
Ruby Falls
Oh, Nope, those I remember! Finally one day, now many years ago, we visited both places! Had a great trip too! But the Burma Shave signs I simply don't remember.( maybe I'm just a tad too young). At one point I owned a book with pictures of the Burma Shave signs, pretty interesting!
Glad you stopped by!
Well, AW, how's baby wolf coming along? Keep us updated...
Farmers would allow them to paint their barns with those signs. Free paint job. lol and if you visited, while there they would put a bumper sticker advertising the place on your car, but later they changed that to just stick the sign on with clips but I think they even quit that after about a 1/2 mile down the road there was a stack of crumbled and removed signs. lol Or those new-fangled cars with all those plastic bumpers might have stopped that procedure and Interstate highways surely were the main demise for all the barn signs. So who remembers running boards? Dad once brought a pig home from E. Kentucky in an orange crate tied to one of those and the pig got car sick LOL

Baby Wolf... I have only seen pictures. He lives about 10 hours away but my understanding is that he is healthy and has gone home.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2014

I vaguely remember the Burma Shave signs. I mostly remember those signs you still see sometimes even today that say "Jesus is coming, are you ready". I don't know why, but those used to freak me out a little bit as a kid, hehe. There is an old tale about the man who originally started putting them up across the highways, but I have long forgotten it. He's long dead and gone but even today people have carried on his mission, or so the story goes.

Coffee is on and the house is smelling fantastic! Nothing like the aroma of coffee first thing in the morning.

Talk to all later possibly! Have a blessed day out there!!
Bessie bug

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2014

is an adult beetles, which normally lives in piles of stuff in the home and can be seen flying. they are known to be aggressive that if you rub two together, then they will fight to death.
Tollesboro Guy

Brookville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2014

Ancient Wolf wrote:
actually the Natchez Trace is longer than 300 miles, but I dropped off somewhere around 300 miles instead of going on to Natchez.
Beautiful. I used to drive it once a month when we lived in TN. Probably close to 20 years ago when I got my last "speeding ticket" for going 60. I can't be sure but I think it was a Park Ranger that wrote the ticket? Not many, if any, roads left like that in our great country.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

22 Users are viewing the Louisville Forum right now

Search the Louisville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Robbery victim, suspect shot each other on Libe... 46 min yo girl 7
Nothing Changes Projects 3 hr Truth 13
McConnell leads Grimes in Bluegrass Poll 4 hr Mustang Mike 2
2 people injured in shooting at Jackson Street,... 4 hr Mustang Mike 2
Majority of Kentucky voters oppose same-sex mar... 5 hr lgbt is silly 1
Mitch McConnell 6 hr really 26
Clinton to appear in Lexington, Hazard with Grimes 6 hr Robin 3
Carla Rebecca Rushing Stage Name Cody Lane Loui... (Jan '14) Jul 25 john 48
•••