Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer 81,719

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Full Story
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#96303 Mar 5, 2014
Anne52 wrote:
Would you just look at that sun! Awesome! But, Highway Woman, you are so right! It's going to be one big mud hole before this is all over!!
AW, your creek must really be getting high and that water is going to get higher--bout 5 foot ,huh? Does it flood much there? And , AW, you've not mentioned dog lately. Maybe his bladder dried up and no longer has to visit the P tree. Lol jk. Hope he's okay though.
Sure have been wondering about misty and her family. Prayers and good thoughts to her. Miss E? Ladies, Guys ? Lol I think this cold has given everyone brain freeze! Come on in and sit around the fire...and thaw out a little!
My little creek is about 10 feet wide and runs along the other side of my road and down about 5 feet lower than the road and with spring thawing and rains, I have seen it up in the road (the 5 feet high and rising lol). But my property runs up hill begining at the road level and it has never flooded other than to block the roadway for a few hours before it runs off downstream to the river, about a mile away through the woods.

Dog is fine but he is ready for spring also. He is quite short and I suspect he is tired of his stuff dragging in the snow. hehehe .

Since: Mar 14

Location hidden

#96305 Mar 5, 2014
My goodness! It's been beautiful day! Guess everyone has been out enjoying the day. I just hit the tanning bed (can't seem to let that tropical tan go) and now to pick up the g'kid at the gym. 4 hours of practice! Don't think I could do that after being in school till 4pm. Lol.
Have a good evening !
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#96306 Mar 6, 2014
In the "teen-temps" + or -, it is so-o-o-o hard for me to visualize Daniel Boone, Simon Kenton, Simon Girty or the Civil War soldiers, for that matter, having to camp, eat & sleep out in the weather. I guess Dan'l and them chose that life but the others being wounded and hungry......MMmmmm. I'd have one "well-done" side to me all the time, I'll tell ya! We used to take these over-night canoeing trips on the Spring River over in Ark. and I quit it. That ground is just TOO firm! Just think of the mountain men, trappers, of the 1820's and '30's. No wonder most of them married an Indian maiden to sit around the cabin fire with in the winter. The rheumatiz in their frozen feet and legs sure did appreciate the massage'n and..........oops!......now why would anybody get ill with this thread?)
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#96307 Mar 6, 2014
@MM with your interest in History and especially your reference to the Civil War.. try Google of Camp Dick Robinson. It is where Southern boys (primarily from east Tennessee) came to Kentucky to enlist in the Union army and many died of measels. It was the first Union recruiting and training camp south of the Mason-Dixon and is what propelled Kentucky into the war when it planned to remain neutral.

Then just north of there on the Kentucky River is Camp Nelson which was a Union supply depot and where over 10,000 African Americans enlisted after the Emancipation Proclamation. That Proclamation freed only the men and not the wives and children and many died of starvation outside the camp as refugees.

My little Homestead is along the Kentucky River very close to both those Historical places of death. When the weather is nice, I walk through the woods in search of relics.
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#96308 Mar 6, 2014
All is well here except for Mother. Haven't quite figured out the reason for her black/ out, and she has a mass on her lung from the accident. Her stomach has been giving her severe pain as well.
@ Anne, love your picture
Blessings to All...
Except your savior

Bardstown, KY

#96309 Mar 6, 2014
scary wrote:
Here's a link so you know I'm not joking: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/6185...
We all need to stock up - water, batteries, make sure you have a heating source, food. If the New Madrid goes, transportation across the Mississippi could be affected. Stay safe, be prepared for the worst, hope for the best, and pray.
Pray is right and ask our savior into your heart Many things have came true that was predicted in the Bible..so yes there is more to come and it only gets worse!!! If you knew Christ in your heart there would be no doubt or questions as to why the birds or fish are dying....the fact is the end of times is to come and I feel it is drawing near..how near nobody knows but it weighs on me heavily to prepare and spread the word of God to everyone you can!
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#96312 Mar 6, 2014
10 hours... It appears that more than "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" lol

Location hidden

#96313 Mar 6, 2014
@ Misty: glad you updated us about your mother. Prayers and good thoughts to her. Things like this really is hard on the entire family.
@AW: On your walks through the woods, Do you ever take a metal detector ? Last fall we used a metal detector in our lower field where a house once stood. We didnt find value, money wise but came away with an old spoon and pieces of a cast iron cook stove. The house hasn't been there for over a hundred years so we were happy with our haul. We will go over the area again later this spring . There's been many years of plowing and disking so things will
Be scattered everywhere .
@MM. Well, I'm sure many a trapper found a nice Indian maiden to become his wife because of hot food, hot fires and hot lovin'. Lol.

Level 1

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#96314 Mar 6, 2014
We are having a warm up double widgets haha Anyway then of course Ice storm on Friday into Saturday.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#96315 Mar 6, 2014
Princess412 wrote:
We are having a warm up double widgets haha Anyway then of course Ice storm on Friday into Saturday.
I don't know your location or which weather report you are reading, but I like mine here in Central Kentucky much better since it reports that temperatures will not fall below freezing over the next 5 days.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#96316 Mar 6, 2014
@Anne. No, I have not walked in this Historically significant area with a metal detector yet, But I hope to in the spring. I have found a few items that may or may not have come from the Civil War. But since so many troops were encamped nearby, it would be good to find some things. I would especially like to find some insignia or buttons.
The Rogue

Olive Branch, MS

#96317 Mar 6, 2014
Anne52 wrote:
@MM. Well, I'm sure many a trapper found a nice Indian maiden to become his wife because of hot lovin'. Lol.

**"My,....is there nothing sacred,......Goodness, I have never heard tell of such,....Oh, it's just pure........Why, Mother would just.........!" (with a great big grin!)

@ Wolf.....About 40 miles from here is Shiloh Civil War Park, no small thing either! My kid brother is a Civil War fanatic, big time, and I'm more into the trappers. But after the stroke, he drove me over to the park and we had one great day. But you'd best NOT get caught hunting for anything there....period! Come to think now.....I bought a single blade Case pocket knife there at a souvenir shop about 1965 and still have it. Wow, 49 years ago. But I'd sharpened it so many times that the fine point slightly sticks out beyond the handle body when it's closed in my pocket. That's hard on the finger tips so I retired it some years ago. Well,.........just thought of something else. He also took me to another smaller park somewhere in the direction of Nashville,......can't remember the name tho,....gotta ask him.
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#96318 Mar 6, 2014
OOoops.........forgot to change my ID above.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#96319 Mar 7, 2014
The Rogue wrote:
<quoted text>**
**"My,....is there nothing sacred,......Goodness, I have never heard tell of such,....Oh, it's just pure........Why, Mother would just.........!" (with a great big grin!)
@ Wolf.....About 40 miles from here is Shiloh Civil War Park, no small thing either! My kid brother is a Civil War fanatic, big time, and I'm more into the trappers. But after the stroke, he drove me over to the park and we had one great day. But you'd best NOT get caught hunting for anything there....period! Come to think now.....I bought a single blade Case pocket knife there at a souvenir shop about 1965 and still have it. Wow, 49 years ago. But I'd sharpened it so many times that the fine point slightly sticks out beyond the handle body when it's closed in my pocket. That's hard on the finger tips so I retired it some years ago. Well,.........just thought of something else. He also took me to another smaller park somewhere in the direction of Nashville,......can't remember the name tho,....gotta ask him.
My great-grandfather was involved in the Battle of Shiloh and was also at the seige of Vicksburg. He is buried at Camp Nelson which is now a National Cemetary but was a Union Supply depot (for the invasion into the south) and above it's time with a hydraulic pumping system to pump water from the northern side of the Kentucky River.

Camp Dick Robinson (on the southern side of the Kentucky River) is not a park but was 2000 acres of flatter farm land that Richard Robinson allowed the Union to set up a recruiting and training center on his farm. It is still a farm with many acres of woods and flat lands nestled on the eastern side of the confluence of the Dix and Kentucky rivers. My treks through the woods are not actually on that farm but are along the bottom land near the Dix River where many of the troops came to bathe (the Dix being smaller than the Kentucky River and more accessible for baths than the steeper banks of the Kentucky)

The park near Nashville is most likely at the Battle of Franklin Tennessee. There is also Chickamauga Park which is south of Chattanooga near Ringold Georgia. From a timeline standpoint, after the seige of Vicksburg, the Union moved north east to engage at Franklin and then on to Chattanooga and then to Chicamauga. U.S. Grant was promoted after Vicksburg and W.T. Sherman took over his old job and after Chattanooga-Chickamauga began his march to Atlanta and on to the sea at Savannah and then northward to Columbia South Carolina where the first secession began. It was Sherman who first coined the phrase "War is Hell" which was his justification (authorized by Grant and Lincoln) to pillage a 60 mile wide march in an effort to break the will of the south to continue. Obviously, not well received by the South even to this day.

Location hidden

#96322 Mar 7, 2014
Had a great day! Many blessings! Spent the better part of the day with my aunt. Good times! Then the daughter is resting and alls well with her and her little one to be. I think the car can be repaired the hood, headlight, front quarter panel,grill and probably more will need to be replaced! She's fine though. Like I said, blessings.

Location hidden

#96323 Mar 7, 2014
The Rogue wrote:
<quoted text>**
**"My,....is there nothing sacred,......Goodness, I have never heard tell of such,....Oh, it's just pure........Why, Mother would just.........!" (with a great big grin!).
Uh, huh. I see you left out the hot food and hot fire when you posted a reply!..."sigh" just like a guy but let me tell you the food and fire are just as important ... Just ask the belle! Lol.

Location hidden

#96324 Mar 7, 2014
Princess412 wrote:
Oh, princess! We're having a heat wave.... It's 50* at 10:30 pm!!! Just wonderful!!!! The rest of our week looks good and warm too!! Hope it warms up in your area too!
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#96327 Mar 8, 2014
Anne52 wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh, huh. I see you left out the hot food and hot fire when you posted a reply!..."sigh" just like a guy but let me tell you the food and fire are just as important ... Just ask the belle! Lol.
"You got it!" ...can't slip 'noth'n by you, huh? But it was just one way to smile and send a humorous tone thru the vine via the pigeon saying that this is not just a grumpy ole fart. Oh, and I am a fan of good eating,'specially her spagetti or fried catfish! And she makes one good pot of home made potato soup with sweet corn bread. MMMmmmMMmm um!

Oh yeah,......was your expecting daughter in a car accident? Maybe the ice? Hope all goes well for her..........and you.
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#96328 Mar 8, 2014
@ Wolf.........man, are you ever up on the Civil War, I mean! I make no mention that I am in any way up on that subject like you are, very little. I did say previously that my grt-grandpa,(Christopher Columbus _____) was in that picture with Union troops way up on the mountain top. AAaaah, I couldn't help which side he was on, lol. But you said "Franklin", don't think so. Don't sound right but I'll find out from him sometime. 10 miles from here is Collierville, Tn and there was a fight there. The town has built the park with necessary markers right in the middle of town. Also, about 80 miles from here is Corinth, Ms. and there was some battle there, sorta in conjunction with Shiloh, I think. They've put up a real attractive spot and markers as well near the edge of town. So many things come to mind as I try to type. You would probably love Holly Springs, Ms, 30 miles from here. The old town is filled with old southern mansions that you can tour once a year. They're so unique in style and appearance. In front of each is an antique design sign that gives its history and year built. Many are 30-40 years before the war.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#96329 Mar 8, 2014
@MM. Yes, Corinth was a Confederate railroad center on the Chattanooga-Memphis line and was captured by the Union, but that victory was tarnished because the Confederates escaped to fight another day. A rail line from Mobile, Alabama intercepted the Chattanooga-Memphis line at Corinth.

I believe the picture you referenced of your great-GF was at Look-Out Mountain at Chattanooga which was also an important rail center for the Southern army since it intercepted the Memphis-Chattanooga line and then turned south to Atlanta.

There was a movie about a Fleming county Kentucy native called "The Great Railroad chase". The Kentuckian and a group of Union spies road the train to Marietta Georgia and stole the Rebel train planning to return to Chattanooga burning the Confederate bridges behind them to disrupt the flow of Southern goods. But the Rebels learned of their plan and chased them all the way back. They fell short of their destination by about 30 miles south of Chattanooga and were captured..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Louisville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tymberwood trace apts 1 hr mudslinger 3
KFC yum! center 6 hr Yep U of L fan 13
Review: Allen's Moves Are Us (Jul '09) 17 hr givemeabreak 14
white girls or miexed 19 hr JCM 1
Mr. T 22 hr Hewasborninchicago 2
Small claims HELP 23 hr Help911 1
Ford's pre-employment test (Aug '11) Tue ForumCommando 60
Louisville Dating
Find my Match

Louisville People Search