Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Comments
80,621 - 80,640 of 81,589 Comments Last updated 2 hrs ago
Anne

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2014

Thank you! Good to sleep in my own bed again! Great time and would love to go again sometime. Our storm last night had thunder and lightning, but not too bad. My chickens survived my trip. I was concerned. Lol. Have a wonderful day!
George Noory

La Grange, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2014

So, what killed the birds?
Kevin

Richmond, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2014

I'll be there.
Ancient Wolf

Versailles, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2014

If you guys will wait, I will sign my autobiography book that you bought. With all the royalties, I should be able to purchase some more cheap hotdogs. lol Being so popular is really very demanding.
understanding

Middlesboro, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2014

Ancient Wolf wrote:
If you guys will wait, I will sign my autobiography book that you bought. With all the royalties, I should be able to purchase some more cheap hotdogs. lol Being so popular is really very demanding.
Hello I am unfamiliar with your work would you care to please enlighten a poor lay person?
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2014

Ancient Wolf wrote:
lol Being so popular is really very demanding.
Yah, Wolf,....I really know how you feel. I've gotta fight 'em off myself sometimes!!! LOL

But say, wasn't Dan'l Boone buried first in Mo., Ark., somewhere across the Big One? As usual, I can't remember what I've read but I think Ky. got to raising holy terror over it till they finally got him back. Can't imagine what shape he was in by then!

Hey ya all, I'm really not into chickens, eggs, feed, night lights, etc. but I do read all the posts and match the info against the home place in Illinois when I was a kid. No big thing but we'd make catch-hooks out of clothes hangers and Mom would axe their heads on an old maple stump. She was good with that thing, too, then just throw them down to pump out the blood as ..........Hummmmmmm,,,better stop, Huh Anne? They sure did put down KFC!
Ancient Wolf

Versailles, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2014

Judged:

understanding wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello I am unfamiliar with your work would you care to please enlighten a poor lay person?
It has taken 3 years and several of the last 96,000 posts to recap a life time of experience; but if you wish to be enlightened perhaps you would need to start at the front or could just scan for selected excerpts. But truthfully, those postings do not jutify all the popularity. LOL
Ancient Wolf

Versailles, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2014

Mississippi Man wrote:
<quoted text>
Yah, Wolf,....I really know how you feel. I've gotta fight 'em off myself sometimes!!! LOL
But say, wasn't Dan'l Boone buried first in Mo., Ark., somewhere across the Big One? As usual, I can't remember what I've read but I think Ky. got to raising holy terror over it till they finally got him back. Can't imagine what shape he was in by then!
Hey ya all, I'm really not into chickens, eggs, feed, night lights, etc. but I do read all the posts and match the info against the home place in Illinois when I was a kid. No big thing but we'd make catch-hooks out of clothes hangers and Mom would axe their heads on an old maple stump. She was good with that thing, too, then just throw them down to pump out the blood as ..........Hummmmmmm,,,better stop, Huh Anne? They sure did put down KFC!
I believe you are right about D. Boone being buried elsewhere first. I think it was Missouri, just not sure. My Mom would grab a chicken by the neck and give it a twirl and wring it's head off and it would not be unusual to have a dozen headless chickens chasing me around the lawn or having a rooster still attempting to crow from the severed head. lol (Sorry Anne & Nope)
Anne

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2014

Okay, guys! Lets talk about chickens! Raising 4,000 chicks from one day old till they were 4 weeks old. Broilers, they called them! The Saturday before the chickens were picked up would be chicken killing day and by the end of the day a couple dozen would find their place in the freezer. Grandma did the killing. Usually she picked it up by the neck, gave it a whirl, then a quick snap! Some could run quite a way before stopping. Others just flipped and flopped. End result was the same. Then came the scalding bath in the boiling water. Held by its feet and dunked a few times so the feathers could easily be removed. Heck, say it like it was: they were dunked so the feathers could be pulled out and piled up in a smelly mess. Chickens were then sent to the kitchen where they were cleaned (we kept the liver, heart, and gizzard too), then singed over the open gas flame from the kitchen stove so the pin feathers could be removed.
Chicken was cut into pieces then all 12 pieces were placed in a plastic bread sack (we had bunches of new bread sacks from the bread bakery) and placed in the freezer. Each chicken wore their red, white and blue plastic apparel till Mom fried it for supper or Sunday dinner! We ate a lot of dead chicken!
Anne

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2014

Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>It has taken 3 years and several of the last 96,000 posts to recap a life time of experience; but if you wish to be enlightened perhaps you would need to start at the front or could just scan for selected excerpts. But truthfully, those postings do not jutify all the popularity. LOL
AW, you're quite the writer, lol, and I'm requesting an autographed copy! Personalized, too, please!
Anne

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2014

Mississippi Man wrote:
<quoted text>Yah, Wolf,....I really know how you feel. I've gotta fight 'em off myself sometimes!!! LOL

Lol. Guess ole Dan'l wouldn't be in the best shape after being moved around so much. I hope they just let me rest in one place! We recently bought 8 of those small "planting plots" over where several of my family has gathered. 13 are there so far.
duah

Bowling Green, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2014

why did they die
qwerty

Butler, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2014

Anne wrote:
Okay, guys! Lets talk about chickens! Raising 4,000 chicks from one day old till they were 4 weeks old. Broilers, they called them! The Saturday before the chickens were picked up would be chicken killing day and by the end of the day a couple dozen would find their place in the freezer. Grandma did the killing. Usually she picked it up by the neck, gave it a whirl, then a quick snap! Some could run quite a way before stopping. Others just flipped and flopped. End result was the same. Then came the scalding bath in the boiling water. Held by its feet and dunked a few times so the feathers could easily be removed. Heck, say it like it was: they were dunked so the feathers could be pulled out and piled up in a smelly mess. Chickens were then sent to the kitchen where they were cleaned (we kept the liver, heart, and gizzard too), then singed over the open gas flame from the kitchen stove so the pin feathers could be removed.
Chicken was cut into pieces then all 12 pieces were placed in a plastic bread sack (we had bunches of new bread sacks from the bread bakery) and placed in the freezer. Each chicken wore their red, white and blue plastic apparel till Mom fried it for supper or Sunday dinner! We ate a lot of dead chicken!
Picked up 20 pieces from McDonald's. They were dipped in bar-b-q, hot mustard, and sweet & sour resulting in quite a mess. They were accompanied by crisp lightly salted french fries doused with ketchup. Tea was the beverage of choice and handled the task quite nicely........
McDuck wCheese

Mount Vernon, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2014

Try the new McDuck with cheese qwerty, smothered in duck sauce.
Urban Dictionary http//def.whoroscope.
A prediction of someone's asstrologically influenced future with respect to getting some action from a dirty sloot.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php...
I have no idea what a sloot is.
boom

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2014

I believe I am going to get some ducks. Some breeds lay as much or more eggs than chickens do. I've never ate or cooked with duck eggs but I hear they are good, really good for baking. I've read that they are better for you than chicken eggs. The meat is also good, not as fat as chicken. There's a strain of Muscovy ducks that will get to 12lbs in about 12 weeks!

I want to hatch out some chicks in June so they will lay good all winter like my pullets that hatched last June did the winter.

Level 1

Since: May 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2014

The chicks hatched, they are so cute. We had farm day at the school and the farm group bought all the animals to show the children. They are so small and bright yellow furry balls. CUTE!!
Anne

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2014

qwerty wrote:
<quoted text>Picked up 20 pieces from McDonald's. They were dipped in bar-b-q, hot mustard, and sweet & sour resulting in quite a mess. They were accompanied by crisp lightly salted french fries doused with ketchup. Tea was the beverage of choice and handled the task quite nicely........
Lol, qwerty, that'll do it!! G'daughter chose the 10piece for lunch today. Truthfully they taste much better than they used to. Usually I get a half cut tea so it isn't sooo sweet.
Anne

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2014

boom wrote:
I believe I am going to get some ducks. Some breeds lay as much or more eggs than chickens do. I've never ate or cooked with duck eggs but I hear they are good, really good for baking. I've read that they are better for you than chicken eggs. The meat is also good, not as fat as chicken. There's a strain of Muscovy ducks that will get to 12lbs in about 12 weeks!

I want to hatch out some chicks in June so they will lay good all winter like my pullets that hatched last June did the winter.
I'm wanting to add to my little collection but, well, I just don't know what I'd enjoy most. I'm getting postcards from the vets office for the dog and cats to come in for their yearly shots so there will go a handful of cash. Maybe I'd better wait on any additions ...
Anne

New Salisbury, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2014

Princess412 wrote:
The chicks hatched, they are so cute. We had farm day at the school and the farm group bought all the animals to show the children. They are so small and bright yellow furry balls. CUTE!!

Cute! Yes!! Good entertainment value! I love chick days at the farm store!
qwerty

Butler, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2014

Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
Usually I get a half cut tea so it isn't sooo sweet.
McD's tea is waaaaaay too sweet aint it? I usually get un-sweet.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••

Louisville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Louisville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Louisville News, Events & Info