Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

There are 81766 comments on the The Cincinnati Enquirer story from Jan 5, 2011, titled Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.. In it, The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that:

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Cincinnati Enquirer.

Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#96110 Feb 22, 2014
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
This has got to be the MOST STUPID discussion in the history of topix Lol!!!
Well, now, let me add some more of that to the story. I am surely not a good judge of the epitome of cuisine,.........in other words,..my taste buds do the walking! I said that to say this, don't know if you have any around your area or not but around here is a chain of stores called "Dodge's." It's a quik-stop, etc. but they offer 10-15 different items under their "sun lamp", and the one and only best is their hot/spicey wings!(I say that because that's all I've tried). You can buy 6, 8, 10, 12 or 18. Sometimes I'll take a Country or a Western mag. with me and eat 8 of them there at a booth by myself. Other times, I'll get 18 of them and they'll last at home for several days. The Belle will have nothing to do with them,....and they are rather potent!!!! But I don't / can't cook and I like 'em just fine.
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#96111 Feb 22, 2014
Oh yeah......today,(Sat.) was some kind of a beee-uuuu--tiful day, I'll say! Reached 68 * and the sun shined so nice all the day long. Monday, if it's half-way nice I think I'll trim off the Crepe' Myrtles...missed it completely last year. Hope ya all's was nice, too.
Anne

United States

#96112 Feb 22, 2014
Tollesboro Guy wrote:
Off to bed. Tomorrow is our last Sunday as door greeters at Sunday Morning Church service. Also, I am now on the communion and offering team. Lot's of growth in our youth population! The 2 new Youth Ministers are kickin' it for our Father! Love our church. Ya'll come to Tollesboro Christian one Sunday. Service starts at 9:30 with Worship and the choir then Sunday School at 11 with a few minutes to grab a donut or cinnamon bun. The coffee is great too. The messages are always strong!
Thank ya for the kind invite! It's just a tad bit out of my way, so you'll have to eat a donut for me! Glad you have a good church home.
BTW, I don't remember that particular avatar pic of you(?). Maybe I've not been very observant ... But that pic hasn't been here before!
Anne

New Salisbury, IN

#96113 Feb 22, 2014
Mississippi Man wrote:
<quoted text>Well, now, let me add some more of that to the story. I am surely not a good judge of the epitome of cuisine,.........in other words,..my taste buds do the walking! I said that to say this, don't know if you have any around your area or not but around here is a chain of stores called "Dodge's." It's a quik-stop, etc. but they offer 10-15 different items under their "sun lamp", and the one and only best is their hot/spicey wings!(I say that because that's all I've tried). You can buy 6, 8, 10, 12 or 18. Sometimes I'll take a Country or a Western mag. with me and eat 8 of them there at a booth by myself. Other times, I'll get 18 of them and they'll last at home for several days. The Belle will have nothing to do with them,....and they are rather potent!!!! But I don't / can't cook and I like 'em just fine.
I tried a loco moco a couple days ago. Really good! On the plate goes 2 scoops cooked rice, then a thick fried hamburger patty, next a sunny side up egg on top of all that. Topped off with gravy . Craziest bunch of stuff but Surprisingly good! Oh, HOT wings? All yours. Lol
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#96114 Feb 22, 2014
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
Cute! Yes!! Good entertainment value! I love chick days at the farm store!
I am into the 2nd week on mine in a cattle water trough in my outbuilding with a heat lamp attached on each end. I won't move them up to the main chicken house on the hill until they are a bit older. We raised our chicks a bit longer than you stated in your recap of chickens from days gone by. Our's were not butchered until about 6-8 weeks, not 4.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#96115 Feb 22, 2014
boom wrote:
I believe I am going to get some ducks. Some breeds lay as much or more eggs than chickens do. I've never ate or cooked with duck eggs but I hear they are good, really good for baking. I've read that they are better for you than chicken eggs. The meat is also good, not as fat as chicken. There's a strain of Muscovy ducks that will get to 12lbs in about 12 weeks!
I want to hatch out some chicks in June so they will lay good all winter like my pullets that hatched last June did the winter.
I normally hatch a few chicks twice a year, January and June. Last year for what ever reason, I delayed until August and that was too hot and I had trouble controlling the temperature and the eggs over heated.

I don't care for duck eggs or meat. The eggs are a much richer flavor and are better for baking but I just don't like the taste of a fried or boiled duck egg. Also, ducks will be a bit more difficult to control where they lay the eggs and my past experience with having ducks here at the homestead is that in their search for water, they are more susceptible to varmits and I have never been very lucky with raising ducks.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#96116 Feb 23, 2014
Tollesboro Guy wrote:
Off to bed. Tomorrow is our last Sunday as door greeters at Sunday Morning Church service. Also, I am now on the communion and offering team. Lot's of growth in our youth population! The 2 new Youth Ministers are kickin' it for our Father! Love our church. Ya'll come to Tollesboro Christian one Sunday. Service starts at 9:30 with Worship and the choir then Sunday School at 11 with a few minutes to grab a donut or cinnamon bun. The coffee is great too. The messages are always strong!
Timing at my Church is just the opposite with Sunday School at 9:45 and Worship at 10:45 am. We also have an OutReach service at the local nursing home concurrent with the earlier Sunday School times. We arrive at 9 am and wheel the patients that wish to attend to the community room. Then have a short service from 9:30 to 10:15 and we receive such a blessing seeing those old folks smiling and singing the old Gospel songs. Since their eyesight is not that good for reading the Hymnal, we always choose the old tried and true Hymns that they have sung all their lives and already know and can join in on at least the Chorus. Ending the Outreach at 10:15, then allows the volunteers to get the patients back to their rooms and still make it to the 10:45 Worship service at Church.
I only volunteer for the OutReach during the longer summer hours which allows sufficient time for me to take care of my chickens, then get ready, and drive into town. Winter time just does not afford enough daylight to do all that and still make it by 9 am since it is about a 20-30 minute drive from here to the nursing home.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#96117 Feb 23, 2014
@MM... Hot Wings... I like to get the wings plain with the hot sauce and bleu cheese on the side for light dipping. The pre-covered "Fire House" wings are just way too hot and just the aroma burns my nose and makes my eyes water before I even get a taste. LOL
boom

Indianapolis, IN

#96119 Feb 23, 2014
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm wanting to add to my little collection but, well, I just don't know what I'd enjoy most. I'm getting postcards from the vets office for the dog and cats to come in for their yearly shots so there will go a handful of cash. Maybe I'd better wait on any additions ...
If you know any local "chicken people" you could probably borrow an incubator and hatch out some eggs pretty cheap or even for free. That's probably what I'm going to do. I need to hatch out some new layers and then will eat the roosters. Need to put some meat in the freezer!
boom

Indianapolis, IN

#96120 Feb 23, 2014
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>I normally hatch a few chicks twice a year, January and June. Last year for what ever reason, I delayed until August and that was too hot and I had trouble controlling the temperature and the eggs over heated.
I don't care for duck eggs or meat. The eggs are a much richer flavor and are better for baking but I just don't like the taste of a fried or boiled duck egg. Also, ducks will be a bit more difficult to control where they lay the eggs and my past experience with having ducks here at the homestead is that in their search for water, they are more susceptible to varmits and I have never been very lucky with raising ducks.
I've been told they are a lot different than chickens. One thing is all the poop, but one man's poop is another man's fertilizer. lol (That just doesn't sound right at all! LOL) I have never tried duck eggs but I do like the meat. I have seen those muscovy breast cooked up and they look so good. Some say it is almost like a good cut of beef. I'm going to try some ducks and see what happens.
boom

Indianapolis, IN

#96121 Feb 23, 2014
Apostle Amber wrote:
If a bird dies in the forest does anyone sing to its death?
But the Angels rejoiced when They sang to my turning from sin.
Amen to that, me too!

Level 1

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#96122 Feb 23, 2014
If we could get chicks we couldn't eat them pets they are family. My children would be crying if we ate them.
DUMBPOST

Paducah, KY

#96125 Feb 23, 2014
Ok, I never read this stupid post, but honestly folks it has been here since 2011. Who gives a rip if Birds Die in Western KY. It's time to put an end to this long drawn out post after all this time. Please, move on with life.
lol

London, KY

#96126 Feb 23, 2014
I want to hear about those birds.
lol

London, KY

#96127 Feb 23, 2014
Birds fascinate me!

Level 1

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#96128 Feb 23, 2014
This topix is not even spoken about we are talking about other things. I'm glad you took the time to judge a post without even reading it. Thanks for your input and have a great day!
qwerty

Butler, KY

#96129 Feb 23, 2014
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
Number 17 with a large Dr. Pepper. OR
Regular hamburger with pickle only.
This has got to be the MOST STUPID discussion in the history of topix Lol!!!
Were the fries small, medium, or supercalifragilisticexpialidoc ious ?
undertaker

Elizabethtown, KY

#96130 Feb 23, 2014
qwerty wrote:
<quoted text>
Were the fries small, medium, or supercalifragilisticexpialidoc ious ?
i dont know what he or she got why do u care
Anne

United States

#96131 Feb 23, 2014
DUMBPOST wrote:
Ok, I never read this stupid post, but honestly folks it has been here since 2011. Who gives a rip if Birds Die in Western KY. It's time to put an end to this long drawn out post after all this time. Please, move on with life.
I know you never read this thread but if you'd stick around long enough maybe you could enjoy its dynamics. Reading a day or twos entries just will not make much sense. So hang around, see what's its about and join in.
Anne

United States

#96133 Feb 23, 2014
qwerty wrote:
<quoted text>Were the fries small, medium, or supercalifragilisticexpialidoc ious ?
They were
SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALIDOC IOUS!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Louisville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Louisville university/ups 1 hr UofL 2
On Memorial day ask George gataky how he disres... 6 hr Fredrick 2
The Best Louisville Rappers (May '11) 6 hr Fredrick 73
Grade lane hit and run (Travis Christy)This is ... (Nov '12) 11 hr GOD 151
Last Post Wins (Mar '11) 16 hr Sandy06 8,009
wanting to swallow some DL black dick (Jan '11) 21 hr remyremzzz 14
door to door meat sales (Jan '13) Sat A Professional 144
More from around the web

Louisville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE