Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer 81,789

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Full Story
Weird

Indianapolis, IN

#96023 Feb 17, 2014
How does this happen
Anne

Brea, CA

#96025 Feb 17, 2014
blurbrain.com/first-wind-turbines-now-solar-p...

Here's my bird post for the day
Anne

Brea, CA

#96026 Feb 17, 2014
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
Yes, I most certainly do have a cave system underneath of the house. The Sloans Valley Cave system runs closely, if not partially, underneath of my property lines in more than one spot.
When those trees start leaning, even ever so slightly, we're outta here until we can get someone out to take a look see...
Honestly, I've been up all night because I have another sick critter. I suspect that he'll have already passed peacefully in his sleep.... I don't know and I don't want to look just yet.
Another heartbreak that loosing a critter kid always brings.
<<heavy sigh>>
Later folks.
<3
That Sloans valley cave system, isn't it the longest in the world? I think I'd be watching that tree line also. To my knowledge there is no cave system under my property. This has been family land for 80+ years and no one has heard about or found a cave so I'm fairly confident there isn't one.

It's hard to loose a critter. I haven't lost too many but it is hard. I know it hurts a lot. You keep quite a few critter kids around and go through this fairly often. You have a good heart to care for all these critters.
Anne

Brea, CA

#96027 Feb 17, 2014
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>That Sloans valley cave system, isn't it the longest in the world? I think I'd be watching that tree line also. To my knowledge there is no cave system under my property. This has been family land for 80+ years and no one has heard about or found a cave so I'm fairly confident there isn't one.

It's hard to loose a critter. I haven't lost too many but it is hard. I know it hurts a lot. You keep quite a few critter kids around and go through this fairly often. You have a good heart to care for all these critters.
....lose a critter.
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

#96029 Feb 17, 2014
well...crazy drunk lady that charged the kroger with her new lincoln is getting attempted murder charges.....

got the pipes fixed finally (did i say that on here or was i emailing? cant remember) well anyway.... pipes busted like jan 17th or so...finally got them fixed...good bye 30 or so milk jugs :)

guess thats all for tonight

bye guys!
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#96030 Feb 17, 2014
..........just finished a very good book that dealt with ya all's part of the country. The book was about Simon Girty but had a lot to do with Pa, Oh, Ky, Quebec and Detroit when there were no borders! Now.......before you do a search, has anyone heerd tell of him? Some say he was one mean SOB and others, a hero. This book told of all his "wickedness" but yet painted him as a hero. I really get off on early American history.
Anne

Brea, CA

#96032 Feb 17, 2014
betty wrote:
well...crazy drunk lady that charged the kroger with her new lincoln is getting attempted murder charges.....

got the pipes fixed finally (did i say that on here or was i emailing? cant remember) well anyway.... pipes busted like jan 17th or so...finally got them fixed...good bye 30 or so milk jugs :)

guess thats all for tonight

bye guys!
That's a long time to "fetch" water! Glad you got the water pipes fixed and hopefully its business as usual now. Your trash man will think you've really been drinking that milk when he picks up your trash this week! Lol

That crazy lady actually rammed her car into a Kroger on purpose ?
america

Louisville, KY

#96033 Feb 17, 2014
she used to work for them. maybe she had issues with them.
Anne

Brea, CA

#96034 Feb 17, 2014
Mississippi Man wrote:
..........just finished a very good book that dealt with ya all's part of the country. The book was about Simon Girty but had a lot to do with Pa, Oh, Ky, Quebec and Detroit when there were no borders! Now.......before you do a search, has anyone heerd tell of him? Some say he was one mean SOB and others, a hero. This book told of all his "wickedness" but yet painted him as a hero. I really get off on early American history.
Never heard of him-/ but I bet AW has! Lol . I did google him and it seems as if no one really knows if he was a villain or a hero. He went totally blind before he died. He had a tough life no matter what is thought of him.
Hello to you, Mississippi Man! Haven't seen you around here much lately! We're still out and about and enjoying life as best we can. I'm told my hens are giving only an egg a day sooo, there's a few that's laying down on the job. Lol
Anne

Brea, CA

#96035 Feb 17, 2014
america wrote:
she used to work for them. maybe she had issues with them.
Sure sounds like it!
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#96036 Feb 18, 2014
@MM.. Simon Girty's history was briefly covered in our Kentucky History grade school class, but since his focus was more in Ohio and Pennsylvania than Daniel Boone's, he got less emohasis.

I live in a very Historic area near the Kentucky River just west of Fort Booneboro and north of Fort Logan (now Stanford and one of Ky's 3 oldest towns), east of Danville where the Kentucky Constitution was founded and where Ephraim McDowell performed the first surgery on Jane Todd Crawford. Then southeast of Harrodsburg where James Harrod established Fort Harrod and a replica is available for viewers and also close to Shaker (similar to the Quakers) Village was a religous community built along the limestone palisades of the river such that goods could be transported down stream to the Ohio River. The river also passes through Kentucky's capital (Frankfort) and D. Boone's grave is on a hill over looking the river.
boom

Indianapolis, IN

#96037 Feb 18, 2014
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess it's written somewhere that country eggs are brown. Lol.
I have a lovely nesting box but my hens aren't using it. Is there any thing I can do to get them to use the box? Maybe it's too high off the floor( about 2 ft)?
Is your roost higher than the nest? If not they will probably just sleep in the nest box (the highest place) and lay the eggs somewhere else. You can also try using golf balls in the nest and hopefully they will get the idea. I have a couple that lay their eggs in odd places, same place every day.
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#96038 Feb 18, 2014
My paternal ancestor was also Scotch-Irish (same as D. Boone and S. Girty) born in County Armargh Ireland in 1711 and died in Virginia in 1743. His son fought in the Revolutionary War and came to this area of Kentucky after the war and his brother was married in a little country church about a mile out on the main highway in 1806. So my little homestead is where my roots are and I am back home.
boom

Indianapolis, IN

#96039 Feb 18, 2014
boom wrote:
<quoted text>
Is your roost higher than the nest? If not they will probably just sleep in the nest box (the highest place) and lay the eggs somewhere else. You can also try using golf balls in the nest and hopefully they will get the idea. I have a couple that lay their eggs in odd places, same place every day.
I should have kept reading before I answered. HA
boom

Indianapolis, IN

#96040 Feb 18, 2014
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>I don't get any white eggs. I have only the one breed.. Rhode Island Reds. People just associate the white eggs with mass produced store bought possibly full of chemicals and steriods and why they want the brown shelled and willing to pay more for them. As you well know, the color of the shell is determined by the breed and has nothing to do with the contents.
Yep, eggs are eggs. The only difference is in the shell color. I've got a couple leghorns and anconas that lay the white eggs. I like both of those breeds. Too bad they don't lay brown eggs. They are smaller but lay as big of eggs and about any other chicken and being smaller they don't eat quite as much. They're also said to be "flighty" but mine aren't really. They can fly pretty well which is a good thing in my opinion. Hopefully they have a better chance at getting away from critters. I'm planning on crossing them with my brown egg layers and see if I can't get a brown egg layer that is a little "flighty", smaller, eat less and lay really well.
boom

Indianapolis, IN

#96041 Feb 18, 2014
@Ann... Along with having your roosts higher than your nests, adding the small board/bar in front of the nests to land on and adding something like golfballs, try cleaning out your nests then sprinkle some oregano flakes in the nest then put in some frest shavings. You also might want to sprinkle some food grade DE (along with the oregano) to kill any mites or lice that might happen to come along. That's "diatomaceous earth" - good stuff. Also, fix them up some yogurt and add lots of cayenne pepper for a few days and see if that won't get them laying. The pepper won't burn them and some swear by it to help laying. Fermented food like yogurt, buttermilk, kraut, etc is really good for them. Laying also depends on the age and breed of the chicken. Some breeds lay longer than others, some quit in a couple years, some keep on for 5-6 years. Those that lay a whole lot of eggs (the production types) won't lay as long. Just like women, they only have so many eggs inside them to start with and when they're gone they're gone. I'll shut up now. lol
Anne

Brea, CA

#96043 Feb 18, 2014
boom wrote:
@Ann... Along with having your roosts higher than your nests, adding the small board/bar in front of the nests to land on and adding something like golfballs, try cleaning out your nests then sprinkle some oregano flakes in the nest then put in some frest shavings. You also might want to sprinkle some food grade DE (along with the oregano) to kill any mites or lice that might happen to come along. That's "diatomaceous earth" - good stuff. Also, fix them up some yogurt and add lots of cayenne pepper for a few days and see if that won't get them laying. The pepper won't burn them and some swear by it to help laying. Fermented food like yogurt, buttermilk, kraut, etc is really good for them. Laying also depends on the age and breed of the chicken. Some breeds lay longer than others, some quit in a couple years, some keep on for 5-6 years. Those that lay a whole lot of eggs (the production types) won't lay as long. Just like women, they only have so many eggs inside them to start with and when they're gone they're gone. I'll shut up now. lol
The oregano trick is easily done, but the DE? Where would I find that? The yogurt and cayenne pepper is something I can try also. I can see my grocery list now, lol, it's all for the "birds" lol! Sauerkraut, yogurt, buttermilk, oregano, cayenne pepper, then off to sporting goods for golf balls! Actually, most of the stuff is already in my kitchen ...I appreciate all the info! Thanks!
Anne

Brea, CA

#96044 Feb 18, 2014
Good Morning to all of you! Whoops, guess Id better say "Good Afternoon!" It's supposed to rain all day here but it's not at this time. My weather app tells me things are warming up along the Ohio River Valley and that's a good thing! No holiday for the school kids yesterday as they had snow days to make up. In years past they actually lengthened the school days an hour or so to make up lost days, even had school on a Saturday. Desperate times call for desperate measures, I guess!
boom

Indianapolis, IN

#96045 Feb 18, 2014
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
The oregano trick is easily done, but the DE? Where would I find that? The yogurt and cayenne pepper is something I can try also. I can see my grocery list now, lol, it's all for the "birds" lol! Sauerkraut, yogurt, buttermilk, oregano, cayenne pepper, then off to sporting goods for golf balls! Actually, most of the stuff is already in my kitchen ...I appreciate all the info! Thanks!
Your welcome. Places like Tractor Supply have small bags of the DE but it is cheaper at a feed mill. I'm not sure but somewhere like Lowes might have it but be sure to ask for the "food grade" kind. A greenhouse/nursery might have it but I don't know if it would be "food grade". You can also use DE/wood ashes/sand in a tub of some kind for them to dust bathe in to help prevent mites and lice (keep it dry). Start easy on the stuff they have never had before, especially the kraut. You know that stuff can be pretty stout! LOL Anything that looks kind of like an egg will work in the nest. I've used white round shaped medicine bottles before. lol

Have you ever thought about all the "sayings" that are chicken related??? Like "nest egg" - you put a fake egg in the nest to encourage them to lay there -- you put a little money aside in the bank (or your underwear drawer lol) and that encourages you to add more to it.
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

#96047 Feb 18, 2014
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a long time to "fetch" water! Glad you got the water pipes fixed and hopefully its business as usual now. Your trash man will think you've really been drinking that milk when he picks up your trash this week! Lol
That crazy lady actually rammed her car into a Kroger on purpose ?
yup! she did it about ten years ago at the town point dr kroger in e-town and did it the others day AGAIN at a dolphin hills kroger also in e-town. Took out register 11....

I was there when it happened but never knew anything till i went to check out..... crazy day. Police said she was drunk and off her meds. kroger says she is a former employee with a bone to pick......

as for the water...... yes that is a long time to haul water!

I figure i cant complain too much because there are people living in places on this earth where you have to walk two or three miles for one gallon of clean water. I have to admit tho...i was cursing those milk jugs at the end! oh well.... all a bad dream now~

I have been watching the thread the past few days, only ones i recognize is A.W. and you, i think i saw nope! also...... does hempburn and abeliever not post anymore?
I went without internet for a bit so i have not been here the past few months.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Louisville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Senate passes controversial transgender restroo... 1 hr mud slinger 74
Desiree Ritchie (Apr '10) 2 hr Desiree 3
big green boxes 4 hr JoeSchmo 4
White people are the children of Satan (Mar '12) 5 hr preparation G 101
girly sissy men with long hair (Nov '10) 14 hr ted 148
Decent dress code 17 hr Old Timer 9
Louisville stinks 18 hr Mitch Stinks 1

Winter Storm Watch for Jefferson County was issued at March 02 at 3:23PM EST

Louisville Dating
Find my Match