Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

There are 81676 comments on the The Cincinnati Enquirer story from Jan 5, 2011, titled Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.. In it, The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that:

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Cincinnati Enquirer.

Anne

United States

#95960 Feb 13, 2014
--Counting Stars-- wrote:
grains of sand in a hourglass.
Personally I couldn't even count those..

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#95961 Feb 13, 2014
If you are trying to create an accurate hourglass and you don't have any sand add a teaspoon of salt . It is fairly easy to understand the technique.

Half fill the battle with salt and let the salt run out through, if the salt runs out to soon and a little more salt. through trial and error you get the run time as close to 5 minutes as possible.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#95962 Feb 13, 2014
boom wrote:
<quoted text>
I have got to hatch some out too. I've got about 20 pullets, about 10 are almost a year old. They have done real well all winter. Right now they are averaging about a dozen/day. Do you sell chicks, layers, roosters? We eat the extra roosters. Does anybody around you sell duck eggs?
Right now I have 17 laying hens that were laying about a dozen/day until it got down to single digit temps and below and now down to 8/day. I put 36 eggs in the incubator and got 18 surviving chicks, I guess the rest were not fertile and got tossed after 3 extra days.

I don't sell eggs to the public but raise chickens just for the exercise (chicken house is up the hill quite a ways), eggs to eat, and something to do and to supply eggs for church folks. I give away eggs to those folks that I don't think are able to pay and those that can, I get $2 just to cover cost of feed and expenses. I furnish free eggs for monthly church pot luck socials and I have one old couple that are barely surviving and I give him the excess roosters that he will clean and his wife will make chicken and dumplings for the church socials. That way I do not have to clean any chickens or bake any pies or cakes or even bring anything to the pot luck, but just show up and eat LOL
Anne

United States

#95963 Feb 13, 2014
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
Hey everyone. It's been a minute since I've checked in. Hope everyone is well.

Good advice on that coverage AW. Better to check it out before it's too late. I found that lesson out the hard way years back. I'm probably still paying for it in one way or the other, comparatively speaking..

Well, I'm off to scour the forums while I have my hot coffee. Maybe I'll be back later on. Never can tell which way the wind is going to blow me these days. All I know is that I'm looking forward to that wind being routinely above 55 degrees again for a change! Bring on that nice Spring weather already!!! I want to see flowers and leaves outside instead of these barren trees and dead forest matter in the wood line... The Redwood and Dogwoods need to bloom, and pronto!!

Blessings to all.
_-_Nope_-_
Hello!! Between you and AW talking about insurance, I feel I need to check my insurance policy on the sinkhole business. Earthquake, yes, it's on there but not sure about the other.
We've been checking the weather back home and, thank God, its going to warm up some next week! That will be a nice homecoming! Maybe those jonquils will be popping up!! Ah, but there's redbud winter and dogwood winter yet..but perhaps the snow won't make another appearance. Lol
Anne

United States

#95964 Feb 14, 2014
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>Right now I have 17 laying hens that were laying about a dozen/day until it got down to single digit temps and below and now down to 8/day. I put 36 eggs in the incubator and got 18 surviving chicks, I guess the rest were not fertile and got tossed after 3 extra days.

I don't sell eggs to the public but raise chickens just for the exercise (chicken house is up the hill quite a ways), eggs to eat, and something to do and to supply eggs for church folks. I give away eggs to those folks that I don't think are able to pay and those that can, I get $2 just to cover cost of feed and expenses. I furnish free eggs for monthly church pot luck socials and I have one old couple that are barely surviving and I give him the excess roosters that he will clean and his wife will make chicken and dumplings for the church socials. That way I do not have to clean any chickens or bake any pies or cakes or even bring anything to the pot luck, but just show up and eat LOL
Heeheehee . You've got your system worked out perfectly! I couldn't kill or dress a chicken, but I can sure make deviled eggs!
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#95966 Feb 14, 2014
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
Heeheehee . You've got your system worked out perfectly! I couldn't kill or dress a chicken, but I can sure make deviled eggs!
I can kill and dress a rooster (especially when they start fighting) with some difficulty due to arthritic fingers, but I just have it worked out to where I don't have to by giving them to that old couple so that they will also feel like they have something to contribute to the monthly church socials.

Sometimes when I have excess eggs, I stop by the local Senior Citizens Center and donate those for their meal preparation. They prepare lunch for those that can come to the center and shuttle some box lunches to the shut-ins. The kitchen staff generally have something "special" for me such as a warm fried pie or freshly baked cookies and milk. In the summer, I usually take them some excess veggies also and I especially like their fried green tomatoes and hot corn bread. So yes, there is a method to my madness. LOL
boom

Indianapolis, IN

#95967 Feb 14, 2014
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
The Marans are beautiful and those eggs are very dark! The egg images on the computer make them look like lumps of dark chocolate! My americuan hens lay bluish gray, light green and then there's a pinkish brown. I'm down to 4 right now but later on may find a few more. Wonder where I might find a few of those Marans?
They do look like chocolate, so pretty. Meyer Hatchery has some, 3-4 different colors. I like the "black copper" ones, really pretty birds. A friend of mine has some - I don't believe they are super duper layers but they do alright. They do cost more than most other chicks. Here's the link to their chicks...(I have ordered from them, they are a good company to do business with.)

https://www.meyerhatchery.com/productlist.a5w... .
boom

Indianapolis, IN

#95968 Feb 14, 2014
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>Right now I have 17 laying hens that were laying about a dozen/day until it got down to single digit temps and below and now down to 8/day. I put 36 eggs in the incubator and got 18 surviving chicks, I guess the rest were not fertile and got tossed after 3 extra days.
It was pretty strange how my birds kept laying. I don't use any heat or light yet it seemed like the colder it got the better they layed. It was a little nerve wracking worrying about them when it did get so cold! They all did well though except 2-3 roosters who got a little frostbite, but they're fine now.

In the past I have gave away eggs but I'm hoping they will be at least paying for their feed now. This chicken habit can get expensive! lol I mix up a "special recipe" that includes flax for some higher Omega eggs that people seem to be glad to pay for.

You do have a system going on there! You get a lot of benefits from them thar roosters and eggs! lol I don't like killing them at all but I like eating them so I have to kill them first. lol Home grown chicken is so much better than what you buy at the store and better for you. At least you know what they have ate and any chemicals that went in them, same with the eggs. And how they house commercial egg layers is so pitiful. If everybody knew about that I bet eggs sales nationwide would drop big time. Some people wouldn't care but a lot would.

Like you, it is just something to do. The exercise is a plus and when you feed chickens at least you get something in return - meat and eggs.
boom

Indianapolis, IN

#95969 Feb 14, 2014
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello!! Between you and AW talking about insurance, I feel I need to check my insurance policy on the sinkhole business. Earthquake, yes, it's on there but not sure about the other.
We've been checking the weather back home and, thank God, its going to warm up some next week! That will be a nice homecoming! Maybe those jonquils will be popping up!! Ah, but there's redbud winter and dogwood winter yet..but perhaps the snow won't make another appearance. Lol
Me too. I never even considered "sinkhole insurance". I better check on that.
Anne

United States

#95970 Feb 14, 2014
HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!

Last nights entree was rotisserie lemon-pepper chicken. I did my part at the table so, you see, I could do my part at the church social on the chicken-n-dumplings. I just can't do the killing. Lol
boom

Indianapolis, IN

#95972 Feb 14, 2014
Anne wrote:
HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!
Last nights entree was rotisserie lemon-pepper chicken. I did my part at the table so, you see, I could do my part at the church social on the chicken-n-dumplings. I just can't do the killing. Lol
That sounds so good! I've got three roosters that need an invite to supper. One is especially on thin ice over his own scald water because of his attitude. lol Remember back in the day when ma or grandma would go out in the yard, catch a chicken (or send one of the kids), kill it/clean it and cook it for dinner? Ahhh those were the days.
Yep

Lebanon, KY

#95973 Feb 14, 2014
What birds

Since: Feb 14

Lexington, KY

#95974 Feb 14, 2014
Jesse Venterua wrote:
Does anyone watch him ,Conspiracy Theories, he showed a weapon the Gov. has that uses sound waves to kill anything, They can bring down planes, buildings, anything, make earthquakes, I believe that's what it is , they are testing it on birds, fish etc.. before people. There's NO other explanation for it,I think he said another country, maybe Russia, I forget for sure,has it to.
HAARP
Anne

Huntington Beach, CA

#95975 Feb 15, 2014
I am "whooped" out! Just got back from a dinner and a show and its 4am EST. The show ended with some fantastic fire dancers. Outstanding!
AW, I know you'll be getting up in an hour or so, so good morning to you! But good night to me--(its 11pm here).
qwerty

Luck, WI

#95976 Feb 15, 2014
Group activities might prove a little unsettling for you today. Animated discussions could turn angry squirrels against you and this could offend your desire for birds. A lot of misinformation could be exchanged today, tomorrow, the day before that, any day that ends in "Y", and cause confusion, nearsightedness, constipation, and short tempers. Stay home if you can, but if you must go out don't go too far. You aren't likely to accomplish much after that anyway.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#95977 Feb 15, 2014
qwerty wrote:
Group activities might prove a little unsettling for you today. Animated discussions could turn angry squirrels against you and this could offend your desire for birds. A lot of misinformation could be exchanged today, tomorrow, the day before that, any day that ends in "Y", and cause confusion, nearsightedness, constipation, and short tempers. Stay home if you can, but if you must go out don't go too far. You aren't likely to accomplish much after that anyway.
More snow here which will keep me unsettled if I try to go out and compete with the folks that will be in a state of panic over not having at least a 2 week supply of toilet paper. So I will stay home and track through that nasty stuff to enjoy my birds (chickens) and avoid all those short tempers, Maybe a good day for a pot of pinto beans with a country ham bone which will be a for sure cure for constipation and if Boom hears in noises from the Homestead, rest assured that it is just an imitation earthquake. hehehe
boom

Bloomington, IN

#95978 Feb 15, 2014
HA!...noted.57
Anne

United States

#95981 Feb 15, 2014
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>More snow here which will keep me unsettled if I try to go out and compete with the folks that will be in a state of panic over not having at least a 2 week supply of toilet paper. So I will stay home and track through that nasty stuff to enjoy my birds (chickens) and avoid all those short tempers, Maybe a good day for a pot of pinto beans with a country ham bone which will be a for sure cure for constipation and if Boom hears in noises from the Homestead, rest assured that it is just an imitation earthquake. hehehe
Did you get the ham and beans? Comfort food!! Yay! And it'll sure cure whatever is ailing you ! Lol

It was raining cats and dogs here a little while ago and I'm soaked to the bone. Brrrr !
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#95982 Feb 15, 2014
@ Wolf.........hey, hoss, sounds "Shake, Rattle and Roll" is gonna be a side effect of those beans!...LOL. Whadayado, buy ya a ham bone from the butcher or rob "dog?" .(just poke'n at ya)

I've been absent for a week cause I caught a bug. I believe it was one a them "turd-tumblers" we used to see out in the pasture, ya know. He got down in my innerds and had a square dance and musta been wear'n some of Miss E's high heel sneakers! I coulda handled just him but I think he bought in his whole fam damily. But I'm fine now! Don't ever wanna hear of chicken noodle soup ever again.!

@ Anne.......Lady, you sure do like to travel some I'll say. But just hang'n around the hut does get some boring. I wish you a great time and a safe return.
Anne

United States

#95983 Feb 15, 2014
Mississippi Man wrote:
@ Wolf.........hey, hoss, sounds "Shake, Rattle and Roll" is gonna be a side effect of those beans!...LOL. Whadayado, buy ya a ham bone from the butcher or rob "dog?" .(just poke'n at ya)

I've been absent for a week cause I caught a bug. I believe it was one a them "turd-tumblers" we used to see out in the pasture, ya know. He got down in my innerds and had a square dance and musta been wear'n some of Miss E's high heel sneakers! I coulda handled just him but I think he bought in his whole fam damily. But I'm fine now! Don't ever wanna hear of chicken noodle soup ever again.!

@ Anne.......Lady, you sure do like to travel some I'll say. But just hang'n around the hut does get some boring. I wish you a great time and a safe return.
Glad you're doing lots better! It's been a rough winter in a lot of ways! The snow, ice, then everyone being sick! My chickens, they tell me, are fine . I just have to wait and see if that's the truth!!
Trip has been good. Guess you can say we're celebrating our anniversary . Lol

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Louisville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
trump 1 hr Hawtwife 27
So many people who leave Kentucky, come back. ... (Jul '07) 3 hr Frenchfelineecoast99 461
All lives matter 10 hr Greg 172
White police =Bad People 10 hr Flash 6
News Martinrea at impasse with UAW over cuts (Apr '09) 12 hr Why 22
Why are girls in south Louisville and Dixie hig... 15 hr They Are So Trashy 12
Forget about trump and black lives matter, let'... 17 hr Question 1

Louisville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Louisville Mortgages