Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer 81,721

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Full Story
Wow

Clintwood, VA

#95639 Jan 26, 2014
Scary
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#95646 Jan 26, 2014
This rotten thread will not take a longer post from me so I'll chop it in two and try. That's the 2 nd time and......so aggrivating,....had plenty of character left too!
But speaking of different things to eat, has anyone had "mountain oysters?" As a teenager I worked 99% of the time on a hog farm and did everything possible.....and impossible! One of the "duties" was my brother and I would catch the bore porkers by the hind legs, hoist him up with his belly to the front and the farmer sitting there would use a razor-like tool and ...".WHACK....WHACK" , apply a little pressure and the "oysters" would pop out. After cutting the strings, they were tossed into a bucket of salted water. It was hard work but at the end of the day we had enough meat for 6 - 8 families. Mom would clean the outer skin off and put them in fresh salt water and refrigerate. The next night, she'd slice them up, bread and fry them. Some kinda good if they're fixed right but tough as shoe leather if not.
Anne

United States

#95649 Jan 26, 2014
Mississippi Man wrote:
This rotten thread will not take a longer post from me so I'll chop it in two and try. That's the 2 nd time and......so aggrivating,....had plenty of character left too!
But speaking of different things to eat, has anyone had "mountain oysters?" As a teenager I worked 99% of the time on a hog farm and did everything possible.....and impossible! One of the "duties" was my brother and I would catch the bore porkers by the hind legs, hoist him up with his belly to the front and the farmer sitting there would use a razor-like tool and ...".WHACK....WHACK" , apply a little pressure and the "oysters" would pop out. After cutting the strings, they were tossed into a bucket of salted water. It was hard work but at the end of the day we had enough meat for 6 - 8 families. Mom would clean the outer skin off and put them in fresh salt water and refrigerate. The next night, she'd slice them up, bread and fry them. Some kinda good if they're fixed right but tough as shoe leather if not.
No thank you.. That's one bowl I'll pass on to the next person.
I've heard they're good but I'll just take your word on that.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#95650 Jan 26, 2014
Mississippi Man wrote:
Yes, I have had those as well as Lamb fries which followed the same process. What many people do not know, if a boar hog is left to mature for reproduction purposes it is useless to butcher the hog later on. You can't stay in the house with the meat cooking. The aroma is awful.... even the hams. Also there was a paint bucket of some kind of purple glue type medication with a paint stir stick in the bucket. After the "oysters" were popped, the glue was slapped on the cut. That bucket always hung in the barn and was also used any time a human or any other animal got a bad cut.

Hog butchering was another one of those "impossibles". Besides tending the cauldiron fire for cleaning the hog and for rendering lard or staying up all night cranking that hand sausage grinder, my worst impossible was washing the guts out in the creek and cutting into one foot long sections and boiling them for sausage sacks. Have you ever had cracklin (ground up pork rinds from rendering lard) corn bread? or souse? or brains and eggs? or tongue?... nothing was wasted except for the squeal.
idk

United States

#95651 Jan 26, 2014
Maybe these creature deaths are the results of whatever is in the chemtrails that they are spraying out of all these airplanes.
Yuppp

Melvindale, MI

#95652 Jan 27, 2014
The USDA has just admitted to the poisoning of all the birds so there you go
boom

Shelbyville, IN

#95654 Jan 27, 2014
"An American Nuclear Tragedy: A Little Known Nuclear Facility in Paducah Kentucky"
http://m.youtube.com/watch...
Now (I'm pretty sure) this place is closed and they have no idea what to do with the barrels and barrels of nuclear waste. Great idea to have such a place within 75 miles of a major earthquake fault line. Back in the 70's officials from the school board would go school to school and personally ask each class if they had a parent that worked at this place or other nearby places. Now I really wonder why they asked. I guess they were watching to see if the students were going to drop dead too.
birdy

Mckee, KY

#95656 Jan 27, 2014
Well
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#95657 Jan 27, 2014
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text> Have you ever had cracklin (ground up pork rinds from rendering lard) corn bread? or souse? or brains and eggs? or tongue?... nothing was wasted except for the squeal.
Is what you're calling cracklin the same as chitlins down here? Haven't tried it but only because I've not come across it, same for tongue. Souse,.....I didn't care for because parts of it were slimy and gristly. But brains and eggs, yes, you bet. Used to be an every Christmas morning breakfast treat with this family I knew.
Anne

United States

#95658 Jan 27, 2014
A long day in my neck of the woods! Better half has come down with a nasty cold and I have a feeling its headed my way :-(
Sooo exciting around here as I've been cleaning cabinets (lol) and now I have a trunk load of stuff to donate to the thrift store.
@AW. Many years ago I did eat some souse and some scrambled eggs /brains. Couldn't even try it now. Craziest thing I EVER cooked was raccoon stew and I guarantee that was a one shot deal! They told me it was really good!! Heeheehee
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#95659 Jan 27, 2014
I read on the weather news on this thing tonight that a wicked snow and/or sleet storm was coming straight east out of Texas, across New Awlins, southern MS, AL and into GA. It appears that it will be south of all of us. But there's another frigid cold front from the north sweeping east and the outer edge will hit KY. It looked like MN, WIS and ILL etc were all gonna have -6 degree weather. The high tomorrow, Tues., is supposed to be 26 around here. I guess Hillary Roddamn Clinton's global warming has gone hay-wire, huh?.LOL
Anne

United States

#95660 Jan 27, 2014
@MM.. I remember Mom fixing tongue. Sliced and fried it, I believe. She only did that once or twice and thAts alright by me. Whew, it's late, I'm tired, so I'm off to bed.
Anne

United States

#95661 Jan 27, 2014
Mississippi Man wrote:
I read on the weather news on this thing tonight that a wicked snow and/or sleet storm was coming straight east out of Texas, across New Awlins, southern MS, AL and into GA. It appears that it will be south of all of us. But there's another frigid cold front from the north sweeping east and the outer edge will hit KY. It looked like MN, WIS and ILL etc were all gonna have -6 degree weather. The high tomorrow, Tues., is supposed to be 26 around here. I guess Hillary Roddamn Clinton's global warming has gone hay-wire, huh?.LOL
My iPhone says its 9* now. Thursday is to be the warmest at 39*. My opinion of that global warming? A scam. A scam to get us to stop using fossil fuels ( that no good terrible stuff!) and use wind and solar. Makes me kinda wonder who has a lot of interest in all those wind farms! I 80 across Nebraska and Wyoming has wind farm after wind farm... Occasionally on I 65 there is an "arm" of a wind mill being transported. They are HUGE! At the pow wow grounds in Pennsylvania ( lots of wind mills there also) an "arm" was being stored until it was installed so I had my picture taken with it . Heeheehee.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#95665 Jan 28, 2014
Mississippi Man wrote:
<quoted text>
Is what you're calling cracklin the same as chitlins down here? Haven't tried it but only because I've not come across it, same for tongue. Souse,.....I didn't care for because parts of it were slimy and gristly. But brains and eggs, yes, you bet. Used to be an every Christmas morning breakfast treat with this family I knew.
No, Chitlins or chitterlings were made from the linings around the small intestine of the hogs, while tripe was made from the stomach parts. Cracklins were esssentially pork rinds made from rendering lard from the skin and excess fat that was removed from the hams and shoulders. Those trimmed off parts were thrown into a big cauldiron pot over an open outdoor flame. While the men folk were trimming the hams, shoulders, and curing those; it was my job to tend to the fire and dip off the grease (lard) and put into metal cans and the resulting rinds or crispy cracklins put into a dish pan and then taking to the women to grind up and put into corn bread or just bagged to be eaten as a snack like a potato chip. Souse was just the jellied parts of the ears, nose, head, etc and generally was nothing more than a home made pickle loaf including pimentoes and peppers. Yes, that was slimy and grisly and I did not like it either and still do not like purchased pickle loaf mainly because I know where it comes from LOL

Smaller pieces of lean meat trimmed from the hams, shoulders, legs, and such were just laid to the side and the last job which usually ended around 2 or 3 am was to grind those into sausage containing peppers and sage. After working all day, it was then my job to turn the hand crank on the sausage grinder. It was a "coming of age" thing because women folk were not allowed to be in the smoke house during sausage grinding but I was needed and could listen to all the tall (and sometimes vulgar) tales and since it was so cold, even allowed to get a sip of the hooch or recipe that the neighbor kept in the hip pocket of his overalls. The more they sipped, the more vulgar the language. LOL

Of course there were also pickled pigs feet and tails. I recall an old 5th grade school mate taking some pig tails to the teacher as a Christmas present. He thought he was giving her a nice gift, but when she said YUK and refused his gift; he was most down hearted.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#95666 Jan 28, 2014
as for weather, it is 5 degrees right now at 6:20 am. But later today there will be a heat wave with the temperatures rising all the way up to around 17. Wood stove is cranking and my coffee is hot. I am blessed to have jammies and a house coat but I wish I still had some of those old Long John's with a trap door in the seat since the bathroom is not all that warm. But I am really blessed the most because I don't have to light the lantern and walk all the way up to and hover in that old outhouse... Brrrrrrr !! Life is GOOD.
whitehair

Shelbyville, KY

#95667 Jan 28, 2014
Ancient Wolf-- I remember those days as well. Never cold look the parts in the remainder after one Killing an cleaning the hair off he hog.

My Grand-dad had a shed where he salted down and put the ham In a salt bed. My Father had a large tub where they put water over the outside fire and heat to then put the hog in to scrape the hair off. As a child, back then, it was an exciting day!
wow

Cowpens, SC

#95668 Jan 28, 2014
So sad.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#95670 Jan 28, 2014
My friend always claimed he had to take a hammer and knock the hog's teeth out before his Mom would cook the head in an oven with a glass door. I guess she did not want the hog smiling at her. LOL

I have often wondered why the sailing ships called a cask of rum a "hog's head of rum", plus I have heard of a hog's head of tobacco.
Ancient Wolf

Versailles, KY

#95672 Jan 29, 2014
I guess some posters stayed up to listen to the speech and then went over to the political threads to argue about it. LOL In 40 or 50 years of speeches, most of what I have heard is just spitting into the wind and I chose to not listen and just go out to dinner with a fine lady. .
qwerty

Butler, KY

#95673 Jan 29, 2014
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
No, Chitlins or chitterlings were made from the linings around the small intestine of the hogs, while tripe was made from the stomach parts. Cracklins were esssentially pork rinds made from rendering lard from the skin and excess fat that was removed from the hams and shoulders. Those trimmed off parts were thrown into a big cauldiron pot over an open outdoor flame. While the men folk were trimming the hams, shoulders, and curing those; it was my job to tend to the fire and dip off the grease (lard) and put into metal cans and the resulting rinds or crispy cracklins put into a dish pan and then taking to the women to grind up and put into corn bread or just bagged to be eaten as a snack like a potato chip. Souse was just the jellied parts of the ears, nose, head, etc and generally was nothing more than a home made pickle loaf including pimentoes and peppers. Yes, that was slimy and grisly and I did not like it either and still do not like purchased pickle loaf mainly because I know where it comes from LOL
Smaller pieces of lean meat trimmed from the hams, shoulders, legs, and such were just laid to the side and the last job which usually ended around 2 or 3 am was to grind those into sausage containing peppers and sage. After working all day, it was then my job to turn the hand crank on the sausage grinder. It was a "coming of age" thing because women folk were not allowed to be in the smoke house during sausage grinding but I was needed and could listen to all the tall (and sometimes vulgar) tales and since it was so cold, even allowed to get a sip of the hooch or recipe that the neighbor kept in the hip pocket of his overalls. The more they sipped, the more vulgar the language. LOL
Of course there were also pickled pigs feet and tails. I recall an old 5th grade school mate taking some pig tails to the teacher as a Christmas present. He thought he was giving her a nice gift, but when she said YUK and refused his gift; he was most down hearted.
Takes me back a bit......still remember the lye soap that was made too. It was great. Is it just me or did a bar of lye soap seem to never wear down? You could use the same bar for a looooooooong time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Louisville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
brad jones fairdale 10 min beef 6
Mouse Moments - (Sep '11) 7 hr Maverick 808 12,445
Ford's pre-employment test (Aug '11) 9 hr kctopps 61
Sarah annanice reece 15 hr Maverick 808 3
Last Post Wins (Mar '11) 15 hr Maverick 808 7,943
Why did Wave 3 Kevin & Carrie harned get divorce? (Aug '13) 18 hr Geff 42
Man charged with getting forged prescriptions 21 hr tony 1
Louisville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web