Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Comments
80,161 - 80,180 of 81,557 Comments Last updated Thursday

“Nothing is as it appears to be”

Since: Dec 13

My Happy Place

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2014

Judged:

Miss E Font wrote:
Hi everyone! Big project has had me busy. But the Bird thread is like double Dutch jump rope --- just jump in and keep up---
Miss E Font, I do like your analogy! LOL!

My Happy Place

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2014

Anne, I am very curious about the fireball you experienced. Did it leave any evidence at all that it had passed through?

My Happy Place

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2014

Judged:

MM & AW ~ Your gator tales reminded me of my first visit to Florida many years ago. I had never seen a live alligator and so that was on the top of my priority list of things to see. A friend drove me to an alligator farm and believe you me, I got my fill of alligators for a long time to come!
There was an old boardwalk bridge which crossed the alligator pond to an island where other alligators were in concrete enclosures. As I walked across that old board bridge, alligators began to gather on either side, watching me as I crossed. After reaching the island and viewing the albino alligator and the oldest alligator, etc., I had the unnerving task of having to retrace my steps to get back across the pond! As more and more alligators continued gathering on either side of the bridge, finally I couldn't take it anymore, I ran the full length of the bridge to get back across. LOL! Then I watched as they fed chickens to the gators in the pond, and I have never seen such a feeding frenzy before or since! Yes, I certainly got my fill of gators!
Anne

Battletown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2014

Judged:

Dual Reality wrote:
MM & AW ~ Your gator tales reminded me of my first visit to Florida many years ago. I had never seen a live alligator and so that was on the top of my priority list of things to see. A friend drove me to an alligator farm and believe you me, I got my fill of alligators for a long time to come!
There was an old boardwalk bridge which crossed the alligator pond to an island where other alligators were in concrete enclosures. As I walked across that old board bridge, alligators began to gather on either side, watching me as I crossed. After reaching the island and viewing the albino alligator and the oldest alligator, etc., I had the unnerving task of having to retrace my steps to get back across the pond! As more and more alligators continued gathering on either side of the bridge, finally I couldn't take it anymore, I ran the full length of the bridge to get back across. LOL! Then I watched as they fed chickens to the gators in the pond, and I have never seen such a feeding frenzy before or since! Yes, I certainly got my fill of gators!
Shudder shudder eewww
Anne

Battletown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2014

Judged:

Dual Reality wrote:
Anne, I am very curious about the fireball you experienced. Did it leave any evidence at all that it had passed through?
I don't remember any trace of it being there. The rain was really pouring down and the ground really saturated. I won't ever forget it. I screamed because I thought my better half had walked right into its path. What a horrible thing.
lucky

Logan, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2014

bad deal
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2014

Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
Some of the crypts down in Louisiana are haunting. When I lived in the Florida keys as a child growing up, I think I was very concerned with the stacking of tombs. It was like coffin bunk beds!
Yes, they certainly are but even yet, people still lay coins, cheap jewelry, bones, etc. on the stone-work of Marie Laveaus "tomb." The Belle and I really got lost from one another in that graveyard. The walk-ways are so narrow and the crypts are so high that you can't see where your partner went to.

Aaahhh.....the Florida Keys! We took vacation down there in the mid 90's to visit her cousin and wife. Fantastic....!!!!..but expensive. I can't remember which Key is was though. I do remember going for a walk around the place and came to where Slim Whitman lived and he was out golfing on his lawn where no one else even had one.......no, I didn't get to talk to him. I think is was Key Marathon but you would know for sure. They took us to Key West too and that was the first time of seeing all the "lovey-dovey" boys holding hands! YUCK!!!

Level 1

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2014

Judged:

Mississippi Man wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, they certainly are but even yet, people still lay coins, cheap jewelry, bones, etc. on the stone-work of Marie Laveaus "tomb." The Belle and I really got lost from one another in that graveyard. The walk-ways are so narrow and the crypts are so high that you can't see where your partner went to.

Aaahhh.....the Florida Keys! We took vacation down there in the mid 90's to visit her cousin and wife. Fantastic....!!!!..but expensive. I can't remember which Key is was though. I do remember going for a walk around the place and came to where Slim Whitman lived and he was out golfing on his lawn where no one else even had one.......no, I didn't get to talk to him. I think is was Key Marathon but you would know for sure. They took us to Key West too and that was the first time of seeing all the "lovey-dovey" boys holding hands! YUCK!!!
Lol
Marathon was my Island. Growing up on the ocean was fun. Marathon is the island right before the seven mile bridge.
My ex was Cajun, which is why I ended up in Deep South Louisiana as an adult. They are a superstitious people. My ex-mother in law wouldn't see white fabric on Friday because that meant someone would become ill.
When my newborn son's umbilical cord fell off, I threw it away. His family went crazy! They said I was suppose to bury it under the house, so he'd never stray far from home.
I asked them, what if he's a pain in the butt and I want him to get out of the house ? I'll be out there in 20 years digging it up.
They never really fully appreciated my sense of humor.
The marriage ended, I moved here but I have beautiful children, great recipes and fond appreciation for Cajuns and their sense of family.

Level 1

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2014

Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>Lol
Marathon was my Island. Growing up on the ocean was fun. Marathon is the island right before the seven mile bridge.
My ex was Cajun, which is why I ended up in Deep South Louisiana as an adult. They are a superstitious people. My ex-mother in law wouldn't see white fabric on Friday because that meant someone would become ill.
When my newborn son's umbilical cord fell off, I threw it away. His family went crazy! They said I was suppose to bury it under the house, so he'd never stray far from home.
I asked them, what if he's a pain in the butt and I want him to get out of the house ? I'll be out there in 20 years digging it up.
The marriage ended, I moved here but I have beautiful children, great recipes and fond appreciation for Cajuns and their sense of family.
Sew white fabric**
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2014

Judged:

Cemetary story... In the old days, our larger cemetary had an above ground concrete crypt about 16 feet square with a steel door and shelving and up to six coffins could be kept in there in the winter until the ground thawed enough for a grave to be hand dug.

When I worked there part-time after school and all days on Saturdays, there were 4 other full time workers, all old men that worked a regular shift and left at 5 pm. To get my hours in, I worked on until dark alone.

After the Custodian started using a backhoe for the initial "scoops" and finished up with hand tools, that crypt was no longer needed to store bodies even in the winter, and was used to store lawn mowers and hand tools.

One evening I came in around 9 pm and went to store my mower and some old man had locked himself in at 5 pm quitting time. Talk about spooky, I opened that old squeaky door and that old man came running out after being in there in the dark for 4 hours. It scared me when he rushed out, but I was not so nearly so scared as he was.... He never came back to work anymore.

Level 1

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2014

Judged:

Ancient Wolf wrote:
Cemetary story... In the old days, our larger cemetary had an above ground concrete crypt about 16 feet square with a steel door and shelving and up to six coffins could be kept in there in the winter until the ground thawed enough for a grave to be hand dug.

When I worked there part-time after school and all days on Saturdays, there were 4 other full time workers, all old men that worked a regular shift and left at 5 pm. To get my hours in, I worked on until dark alone.

After the Custodian started using a backhoe for the initial "scoops" and finished up with hand tools, that crypt was no longer needed to store bodies even in the winter, and was used to store lawn mowers and hand tools.

One evening I came in around 9 pm and went to store my mower and some old man had locked himself in at 5 pm quitting time. Talk about spooky, I opened that old squeaky door and that old man came running out after being in there in the dark for 4 hours. It scared me when he rushed out, but I was not so nearly so scared as he was.... He never came back to work anymore.
I can understand why? Talk about work related stress.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2014

Judged:

Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
That big hotel at Marathon Key was built and owned for several years by a Lexington Kentucky man who founded Kentucky Finance Co. and Central Bank, in addition to the big Campbell House hotel on South Broadway. That old man was self made coming from poverty out of Eastern Kentucky and gained his wealth starting with rental housing.
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2014

From what little I've been around and know of them, the Cajuns seem to be a happy, carefree and gay (original meaning) type of people. Especially their type of music,. so rhythmic and unique. Doug Kershaw is top-notch and you can really see that he is into his music. But again, is Key Marathon where Slim Whitman lived? He died several months ago, ya know. What a voice he had.

Level 1

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2014

Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>That big hotel at Marathon Key was built and owned for several years by a Lexington Kentucky man who founded Kentucky Finance Co. and Central Bank, in addition to the big Campbell House hotel on South Broadway. That old man was self made coming from poverty out of Eastern Kentucky and gained his wealth starting with rental housing.
Interesting. What was his name or the hotel name?
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2014

The 22 story Central Bank building (across Broadway from Rupp Arena) was built in the late 70s and was intially called Kincaid Towers named for the old man. The movie "Steel" was made at the time of the building and starred George Kennedy and another former Kentucky actor, Lee Majors. When they were not filming, they hung out at a little bar on the corner of High and Rose Streets aptly named "High on Rose" lol

A stunt man (A. J. Bakunas) fell to his death from the 21st floor steel framework when his airbag collapsed. Some folks where I worked watched that building being built, but I could not. Those steel workers walking those beams made me nervous. lol
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2014

Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting. What was his name or the hotel name?
I do not know the name of the hotel, but his name was Garvice Kincaid.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2014

@ Miss E.... Kincaid can be seen via Google and there is a Youtube video of A. J. Bakunas "jump" including an interview with a young Lee Majors.
Anne

Battletown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2014

Mississippi Man wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, they certainly are but even yet, people still lay coins, cheap jewelry, bones, etc. on the stone-work of Marie Laveaus "tomb." The Belle and I really got lost from one another in that graveyard. The walk-ways are so narrow and the crypts are so high that you can't see where your partner went to.

Lol. We had the opportunity to visit the Keys about eleven years ago. Loved it! It was our first trip to Florida. Family member would go to Panama City EVERY spring break and never went anywhere else. Just there, year after year. That may be the reason we avoided Florida for so many years. But any way one year we decided Florida was our destination, down the gulf side to key west then back up the coastal side. Key west was awesome! We stayed at a family friendly motel and checked out the sights during the day and walked the strip in the evening. My better half took hold of my arm and kept me close....heeheehee. He must be the better lookin' as well as the better half because he was invited "to come upstairs" more than once. Heeheehee!
Anne

Battletown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2014

Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>Lol
Our 2 year stint in LaFourche parish was full of surprises and I would do it all over again! We had no family close by and we were in our late 20's so the "culture shock" was pretty interesting--! It was even a shock ( a disappointing shock, to be honest) to discover I am allergic to shellfish. Crawfish/shrimp boils were plentiful as our friends owned a shrimping trawler and here I was, stuck eating Kentucky round steak . I learned about police juries, sugar cane fields and saw a little voodoo. At the church potluck my Kentucky food stood out like a sore thumb among pot after pot of gumbos, rice, and étouffées! Heeheehee.
Anne

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2014

Ancient Wolf wrote:

Oh, that's a good one! Lol!

I can understand if graves had to be hand dug and the ground frozen, well, that's a problem. The funeral I attended in Winchester a few months back--- it was raining so hard that day they held the burial over till the next day

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

19 Users are viewing the Louisville Forum right now

Search the Louisville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 2 hr gdave950 26,194
Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912? (Aug '13) 2 hr unknown 1,020
Another West End Loser 3 hr LMS 5
More Urban losers 3 hr Karma 3
2 men arrested after robbery at Circle K on Por... 4 hr LouisvilleKYreport 7
Police investigate armed robbery at Hardee's in... 5 hr hhh 1
Terry Jones (Jul '13) 5 hr TJCF 14
•••
•••
•••
Louisville Dating

more search filters

less search filters