Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer 81,773

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Full Story
Anne

United States

#95467 Jan 18, 2014
Hello, Poppy 55! I went through a time when cemetery's fascinated me. It was interesting how different locales designed the layout and the types of stones that are used. Old carved stones, plain stone markers, highly polished stones. Big ones , little ones , on and on. We were driving through a small town in France and along the street was a very crowded cemetery. the cemetery was on an incline so the stones were highly visable from the road. The stones( all gleaming black ones) were separated with a concrete walkway. An elderly woman was going stone to stone, spraying each stone and then lovingly wiping each stone dry with a cloth.

Level 1

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#95468 Jan 18, 2014
Poppy55 wrote:
I love old grave yards , They are wonderful they tell wonderful tails . They are deserving of my time and when I find one It usually gets my attention . The grave will tell you if its owner had a long life and if there was a lot of money to be spent . The date will tell if there was a plague and many other things , Annie I only visit of a day so I can see the stones . I think my fascination is what will be beyond .
Some of the crypts down in Louisiana are haunting. When I lived in the Florida keys as a child growing up, I think I was very concerned with the stacking of tombs. It was like coffin bunk beds!
Anne

United States

#95469 Jan 18, 2014
Ancient Wolf wrote:
@Anne.. also many years ago, bodies were not embalmed or even placed in caskets and sealed coffins but generally just a wooden box. The decaying corpse gives off gases and any electrical charge may have been why people experienced fireballs more frequently around cemetaries back then. Just a possibility.
I always thought the grave yards were peaceful in that no one wants to argue anymore. LOL
Earlier today we passed a local funeral homes community room and in the front display window was a long narrow wicker basket with a wicker lid. I bet Bill ( funeral home owner) found this unique and hopefully unused "casket " from the past and put it on display to generate a lot of crazy discussion. This kind of casket would not last very long and I'm sure the wooden boxes couldn't last long either. At the point of collapse would be a release of built up gas that would make your ole buddy UNA proud.
Anne

United States

#95471 Jan 18, 2014
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>Some of the crypts down in Louisiana are haunting. When I lived in the Florida keys as a child growing up, I think I was very concerned with the stacking of tombs. It was like coffin bunk beds!
Some inlaws live in St Bernard's Parish across from the cemetery and, as you would well know, they are all above ground because if planted below ground, they would float to the top. Another interesting concept is where my aunt and uncle are buried in Tucson . There they are allowed to use one plot for two people. If you're the first to go, you are buried deep. The last to go is stacked on top of the first. Like the coffin bunk beds but below the ground. Two for the price of one, I guess. Sure does save space though!

“Nothing is as it appears to be”

Since: Dec 13

My Happy Place

#95472 Jan 18, 2014
Poppy, your husband may think you're morbid, but he may be surprised to realize how many people share your fascination for old graveyards.
I have visited a lot of them while doing my genealogy research, and many times I made my visits alone. But I began to be more cautious when visiting those old, out-of-the-way graveyards by myself after someone warned me of the danger of the graves collapsing and the possibility of falling in them. I had always noticed how old graves were often sunken in, so it made sense to me that the old wooden boxes would decay and collapse after being in the ground for many years. After the warning I always made sure I had my cell phone in my pocket and I laughed to myself thinking how funny it would be to call someone and tell them I was in a grave! LOL But then I wondered seriously if I would be able to get a signal from underground. I suppose it was something to be aware of, but I've never heard of anyone actually falling in a grave, have you?

My Happy Place

#95473 Jan 18, 2014
Miss E Font wrote:
Hi everyone! Big project has had me busy. But the Bird thread is like double Dutch jump rope --- just jump in and keep up---
Miss E Font, I do like your analogy! LOL!

My Happy Place

#95474 Jan 18, 2014
Anne, I am very curious about the fireball you experienced. Did it leave any evidence at all that it had passed through?

My Happy Place

#95475 Jan 18, 2014
MM & AW ~ Your gator tales reminded me of my first visit to Florida many years ago. I had never seen a live alligator and so that was on the top of my priority list of things to see. A friend drove me to an alligator farm and believe you me, I got my fill of alligators for a long time to come!
There was an old boardwalk bridge which crossed the alligator pond to an island where other alligators were in concrete enclosures. As I walked across that old board bridge, alligators began to gather on either side, watching me as I crossed. After reaching the island and viewing the albino alligator and the oldest alligator, etc., I had the unnerving task of having to retrace my steps to get back across the pond! As more and more alligators continued gathering on either side of the bridge, finally I couldn't take it anymore, I ran the full length of the bridge to get back across. LOL! Then I watched as they fed chickens to the gators in the pond, and I have never seen such a feeding frenzy before or since! Yes, I certainly got my fill of gators!
Anne

New Salisbury, IN

#95476 Jan 18, 2014
Dual Reality wrote:
MM & AW ~ Your gator tales reminded me of my first visit to Florida many years ago. I had never seen a live alligator and so that was on the top of my priority list of things to see. A friend drove me to an alligator farm and believe you me, I got my fill of alligators for a long time to come!
There was an old boardwalk bridge which crossed the alligator pond to an island where other alligators were in concrete enclosures. As I walked across that old board bridge, alligators began to gather on either side, watching me as I crossed. After reaching the island and viewing the albino alligator and the oldest alligator, etc., I had the unnerving task of having to retrace my steps to get back across the pond! As more and more alligators continued gathering on either side of the bridge, finally I couldn't take it anymore, I ran the full length of the bridge to get back across. LOL! Then I watched as they fed chickens to the gators in the pond, and I have never seen such a feeding frenzy before or since! Yes, I certainly got my fill of gators!
Shudder shudder eewww
Anne

New Salisbury, IN

#95477 Jan 18, 2014
Dual Reality wrote:
Anne, I am very curious about the fireball you experienced. Did it leave any evidence at all that it had passed through?
I don't remember any trace of it being there. The rain was really pouring down and the ground really saturated. I won't ever forget it. I screamed because I thought my better half had walked right into its path. What a horrible thing.
lucky

Williamson, WV

#95478 Jan 18, 2014
bad deal
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#95479 Jan 19, 2014
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
Some of the crypts down in Louisiana are haunting. When I lived in the Florida keys as a child growing up, I think I was very concerned with the stacking of tombs. It was like coffin bunk beds!
Yes, they certainly are but even yet, people still lay coins, cheap jewelry, bones, etc. on the stone-work of Marie Laveaus "tomb." The Belle and I really got lost from one another in that graveyard. The walk-ways are so narrow and the crypts are so high that you can't see where your partner went to.

Aaahhh.....the Florida Keys! We took vacation down there in the mid 90's to visit her cousin and wife. Fantastic....!!!!..but expensive. I can't remember which Key is was though. I do remember going for a walk around the place and came to where Slim Whitman lived and he was out golfing on his lawn where no one else even had one.......no, I didn't get to talk to him. I think is was Key Marathon but you would know for sure. They took us to Key West too and that was the first time of seeing all the "lovey-dovey" boys holding hands! YUCK!!!

Level 1

Location hidden

#95480 Jan 19, 2014
Mississippi Man wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, they certainly are but even yet, people still lay coins, cheap jewelry, bones, etc. on the stone-work of Marie Laveaus "tomb." The Belle and I really got lost from one another in that graveyard. The walk-ways are so narrow and the crypts are so high that you can't see where your partner went to.

Aaahhh.....the Florida Keys! We took vacation down there in the mid 90's to visit her cousin and wife. Fantastic....!!!!..but expensive. I can't remember which Key is was though. I do remember going for a walk around the place and came to where Slim Whitman lived and he was out golfing on his lawn where no one else even had one.......no, I didn't get to talk to him. I think is was Key Marathon but you would know for sure. They took us to Key West too and that was the first time of seeing all the "lovey-dovey" boys holding hands! YUCK!!!
Lol
Marathon was my Island. Growing up on the ocean was fun. Marathon is the island right before the seven mile bridge.
My ex was Cajun, which is why I ended up in Deep South Louisiana as an adult. They are a superstitious people. My ex-mother in law wouldn't see white fabric on Friday because that meant someone would become ill.
When my newborn son's umbilical cord fell off, I threw it away. His family went crazy! They said I was suppose to bury it under the house, so he'd never stray far from home.
I asked them, what if he's a pain in the butt and I want him to get out of the house ? I'll be out there in 20 years digging it up.
They never really fully appreciated my sense of humor.
The marriage ended, I moved here but I have beautiful children, great recipes and fond appreciation for Cajuns and their sense of family.

Level 1

Location hidden

#95481 Jan 19, 2014
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>Lol
Marathon was my Island. Growing up on the ocean was fun. Marathon is the island right before the seven mile bridge.
My ex was Cajun, which is why I ended up in Deep South Louisiana as an adult. They are a superstitious people. My ex-mother in law wouldn't see white fabric on Friday because that meant someone would become ill.
When my newborn son's umbilical cord fell off, I threw it away. His family went crazy! They said I was suppose to bury it under the house, so he'd never stray far from home.
I asked them, what if he's a pain in the butt and I want him to get out of the house ? I'll be out there in 20 years digging it up.
They never really fully appreciated my sense of humor.
The marriage ended, I moved here but I have beautiful children, great recipes and fond appreciation for Cajuns and their sense of family.
Sew white fabric**
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#95482 Jan 19, 2014
Cemetary story... In the old days, our larger cemetary had an above ground concrete crypt about 16 feet square with a steel door and shelving and up to six coffins could be kept in there in the winter until the ground thawed enough for a grave to be hand dug.

When I worked there part-time after school and all days on Saturdays, there were 4 other full time workers, all old men that worked a regular shift and left at 5 pm. To get my hours in, I worked on until dark alone.

After the Custodian started using a backhoe for the initial "scoops" and finished up with hand tools, that crypt was no longer needed to store bodies even in the winter, and was used to store lawn mowers and hand tools.

One evening I came in around 9 pm and went to store my mower and some old man had locked himself in at 5 pm quitting time. Talk about spooky, I opened that old squeaky door and that old man came running out after being in there in the dark for 4 hours. It scared me when he rushed out, but I was not so nearly so scared as he was.... He never came back to work anymore.

Level 1

Location hidden

#95483 Jan 19, 2014
Ancient Wolf wrote:
Cemetary story... In the old days, our larger cemetary had an above ground concrete crypt about 16 feet square with a steel door and shelving and up to six coffins could be kept in there in the winter until the ground thawed enough for a grave to be hand dug.

When I worked there part-time after school and all days on Saturdays, there were 4 other full time workers, all old men that worked a regular shift and left at 5 pm. To get my hours in, I worked on until dark alone.

After the Custodian started using a backhoe for the initial "scoops" and finished up with hand tools, that crypt was no longer needed to store bodies even in the winter, and was used to store lawn mowers and hand tools.

One evening I came in around 9 pm and went to store my mower and some old man had locked himself in at 5 pm quitting time. Talk about spooky, I opened that old squeaky door and that old man came running out after being in there in the dark for 4 hours. It scared me when he rushed out, but I was not so nearly so scared as he was.... He never came back to work anymore.
I can understand why? Talk about work related stress.
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#95484 Jan 19, 2014
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
That big hotel at Marathon Key was built and owned for several years by a Lexington Kentucky man who founded Kentucky Finance Co. and Central Bank, in addition to the big Campbell House hotel on South Broadway. That old man was self made coming from poverty out of Eastern Kentucky and gained his wealth starting with rental housing.
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#95485 Jan 19, 2014
From what little I've been around and know of them, the Cajuns seem to be a happy, carefree and gay (original meaning) type of people. Especially their type of music,. so rhythmic and unique. Doug Kershaw is top-notch and you can really see that he is into his music. But again, is Key Marathon where Slim Whitman lived? He died several months ago, ya know. What a voice he had.

Level 1

Location hidden

#95486 Jan 19, 2014
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>That big hotel at Marathon Key was built and owned for several years by a Lexington Kentucky man who founded Kentucky Finance Co. and Central Bank, in addition to the big Campbell House hotel on South Broadway. That old man was self made coming from poverty out of Eastern Kentucky and gained his wealth starting with rental housing.
Interesting. What was his name or the hotel name?
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#95487 Jan 19, 2014
The 22 story Central Bank building (across Broadway from Rupp Arena) was built in the late 70s and was intially called Kincaid Towers named for the old man. The movie "Steel" was made at the time of the building and starred George Kennedy and another former Kentucky actor, Lee Majors. When they were not filming, they hung out at a little bar on the corner of High and Rose Streets aptly named "High on Rose" lol

A stunt man (A. J. Bakunas) fell to his death from the 21st floor steel framework when his airbag collapsed. Some folks where I worked watched that building being built, but I could not. Those steel workers walking those beams made me nervous. lol

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Louisville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why is Kentucky stuck in the nineteenth century? (Mar '12) 9 min dumb 96
anyone know how to contact the ky state militia? (Feb '13) 38 min OHNO2015 51
Review: Randstad 1 hr Jarred 3
Gotti, Massimo Carlucci is Josh Cowels DEAD RAT 1 hr 12345abc 2
cts russell halfway house barbara strahm on com... (May '11) 4 hr Very concerned 116
Man charged after allegedly exposing himself to... (Jan '11) 4 hr mud slinger 31
Sarah annanice reece 13 hr Just Sayin 12
Louisville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Louisville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 10:04 am PST

NFL10:04AM
Richardson was suspended for two Colts playoff games