Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

There are 81693 comments on the The Cincinnati Enquirer story from Jan 5, 2011, titled Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.. In it, The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that:

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Cincinnati Enquirer.

Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#95141 Dec 30, 2013
After working on it for 3 years, I resolved that if I could get the corporate computers to come up and operate properly at Y2K, I would never ever make another New Year's resolution and I have not now for the past 13 years and it won't change.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#95142 Dec 30, 2013
Mississippi Man wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Anne, I'm proud for you. Since you asked, I've had this (#*&!!) bike on the back deck for several years and still despise it,....ya peddle and peddle and go nowhere. But, it appears I'd better get over it and go back to using it. Also, I've heard of a group in Ripley, MS that get together and play dulcimers at the library that welcome new people. I messed with one once but don't own one but that could be cured! Still, that's about 55 miles from me ....just don't know. But for the new year, that's two things that sound invite'n!
And a Happy New Year's wish to everybody. I hope that life is fair to you for another year.
Solution.. get a bike with wheels and get it off the deck and ride it for 55 miles to play the dulcimer. hehehe
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#95143 Dec 30, 2013
I never could understand why people would go to the gym, then complain when they could not park at the front door of Walmart.

Level 1

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#95144 Dec 31, 2013
Mississippi Man wrote:
<quoted text>Hey Anne, I'm proud for you. Since you asked, I've had this (#*&!!) bike on the back deck for several years and still despise it,....ya peddle and peddle and go nowhere. But, it appears I'd better get over it and go back to using it. Also, I've heard of a group in Ripley, MS that get together and play dulcimers at the library that welcome new people. I messed with one once but don't own one but that could be cured! Still, that's about 55 miles from me ....just don't know. But for the new year, that's two things that sound invite'n!

And a Happy New Year's wish to everybody. I hope that life is fair to you for another year.
I'll come teach you how to play the dulcimer. We will start with the beginners classic "Boil that cabbage down "
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#95145 Dec 31, 2013
boiled cabbage.... isn't that a traditional meal for bringing good luck on New Year's Day ? or was that St. Patrick's Day with corned beef ?

Level 1

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#95146 Dec 31, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
boiled cabbage.... isn't that a traditional meal for bringing good luck on New Year's Day ? or was that St. Patrick's Day with corned beef ?
Cabbage and black eyes peas
That's what the Cajuns taught me.
Money and good luck
Anne

Paris, TN

#95148 Dec 31, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
Birds... I had 1000s of them pecking around on the homestead lawn yesterday. In my numerous years, I have never seen anything like that. I have seen them fly over and alight in the trees around dusk, but these spent all day on the ground and if a few 100 had died it would not have even been a drop in the bucket. Strange indeed. and I had no John Barley Corn either. LOL
Hmmmm. I think that was the case over by Paducah. My BIL. Said there were millions that settled in and wouldn't move on. Nasty. Disease promoting. And human health is more important. No doubt . If they did indeed water down the birds with soapy water to, uh, lessen their numbers, well, I don't blame them. Coyotes in Wyoming are a big problem too. Several years ago counties would have a one day hunt to clear out this serious threat to livestock and people. Various prizes/awards were given out. Technically, it was a community coming together to ensure the safety of their livelihood. I still think it is a necessary task just livened up by prizes. Please understand, I hate like everything that the bird/coyote population was out of control. But the safety of our food sources and of our population is most important.

Me thinks, dear AW, you protest too much about not befriending John Barleycorn. Especially after reading all of last evenings posts. Hmmmm...
Anne

Paris, TN

#95149 Dec 31, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
After working on it for 3 years, I resolved that if I could get the corporate computers to come up and operate properly at Y2K, I would never ever make another New Year's resolution and I have not now for the past 13 years and it won't change.
That is a good enough New Years resolution. Lol
Anne

Versailles, IN

#95150 Dec 31, 2013
Mississippi Man wrote:
<quoted text>Hey Anne, I'm proud for you. Since you asked, I've had this (#*&!!) bike on the back deck for several years and still despise it,....ya peddle and peddle and go nowhere. But, it appears I'd better get over it and go back to using it. Also, I've heard of a group in Ripley, MS that get together and play dulcimers at the library that welcome new people. I messed with one once but don't own one but that could be cured! Still, that's about 55 miles from me ....just don't know. But for the new year, that's two things that sound invite'n!

Maybe you can set that bike in front of a western show and peddle away. Lol.
The dulcimer group intrigues me. My better half has one sitting in a case here at the house. At the present time there is a dulcimer group meeting at that little country church 1/2 mile from the house. I'd like for him to join in and maybe when he moves back home he will....🎶
Anne

Versailles, IN

#95151 Dec 31, 2013
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>Cabbage and black eyes peas
That's what the Cajuns taught me.
Money and good luck
I like making up a pot of Hoppin John Soup which is made with bacon, sausage, rice and black eyed peas. Cabbage is a must and I like hot buttered cornbread with it also. That'll be New Years lunch and dinner.😊
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#95152 Dec 31, 2013
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
Me thinks, dear AW, you protest too much about not befriending John Barleycorn. Especially after reading all of last evenings posts. Hmmmm...
Oh I am not protesting at all about befriending John BarleyCorn. I just see no reason to get barley to put into soups when a beer would supply an ample dosage of healhty barley. Now Ol' Who Shot John in the hard stuff is not on my agenda LOL

Me thinks that some corned beef and cabbage with a grog of beer would be an appropriate New Year's feast based on my Irish heritage. Top of the Year to you, Lassie.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#95154 Dec 31, 2013
My revised New Year's Day meal... a camp stew recipe: 4 small potatoes, 4 tomatoes or a can of tomato sauce, 1/2 head of cabbage, small can of whole kernel corn, 1 pound or more of smoked sausage cut into short lengths, a teaspoon of chili powder, add water and a 1/2 of a beer and bring to a boil, then simmer until cabbage and potatoes are throughly cooked. Salt to taste. Drink the other half of the beer plus one more.
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#95155 Dec 31, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text> Oh I am not protesting at all about befriending John BarleyCorn. I just see no reason to get barley to put into soups when a beer would supply an ample dosage of healhty barley. Now Ol' Who Shot John in the hard stuff is not on my agenda LOL
Me thinks that some corned beef and cabbage with a grog of beer would be an appropriate New Year's feast based on my Irish heritage. Top of the Year to you, Lassie.
Dark beer and pork ribs are heavenly. Hehehe. I place mine in a dutch oven with the beer and a few lovely spices. After several hours I commence to do a light glaze with ol Jack Daniel's number 7. We're having cabbage rolls here as well as homemade sourdough rolls;)
Happy New Year's eve to you and Dog:)
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#95157 Dec 31, 2013
My LUCKY New Year's Day meal is missing a couple of ingredients, one includes the luck. LOL Oh well, back to my New Year's Eve party of old Twilight Zone segments.
Anne

Paris, TN

#95158 Dec 31, 2013
Just finished making our New Year's Day meal..the Hoppin John soup and
if I do say so myself, it will be an excellent soup de jour served with piping hot cornbread. We've already finished off a couple bowls each for tasting purposes only. Lol

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#95160 Dec 31, 2013
Just wanted to pop in and wish all of you a very Happy New Year! I've got a small split of Austi in the fridge and earlier today I made a small plate of different cheeses and fruits. Also have some smoked salmon dip and a cheese ball all ready to snack on later. I think I just might make it till 12:00, haha!!!

Tomorrows dinner is going to be a slow roasted pork roast with home made gravy, fried cabbage and smashed taters, along with the usual New Years Eve pot of black eye peas and hot cornbread made in one of my grandmas cast iron skillets.. I'll have enough leftovers to last for days and still freeze some back for another time.

And God bless you, AW! I was dreading having to channel surf tonight in avoidance of Miss "Hot Mess" Cyrus. New Years Eve has never been the same without Dick Clark. But now I can watch Twilight Zone until the minute the ball drops and I won't have to endure a "Hot Mess"!! Thanks to you, I just found the Twilight marathon on the SyFy channel...This one that just went off, "Time Enough At Last", has always been one of my favorites!!

I also love the episode where the old lady living in a secluded farm house finds the space ship in her home and goes nuts trying to destroy it. That one is called "The Invaders" and JUST happens to come on at 10:30!!! I'm so happy I popped in here!!! I scanned through as soon as I found what channel this was on and low and behold if it wasn't listed!!!

Happy happy happy!!!
And Happy New Year to you all.
God bless!!!
Talk to you all next year!!!
Anne

Paris, TN

#95161 Dec 31, 2013
Sounds like we are all excited about our New Year's Eve!
That smoked salmon dip sounds good!
The upstairs people plan to make some hot chocolate and bring us some.. May pop some corn. She tasted the Hoppin John and declared it mmmmmgood. Lol
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#95162 Dec 31, 2013
While Twilight Zone was on the tv, I slept though the last couple episodes and woke up in time for one last 2013 potty trip and to wish everyone a Blessed and Happy 2014 which will be here in 6 more minutes. (and then I can make the first 2014 potty trip... what a way to celebrate LOL)
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#95163 Dec 31, 2013
well there it is,,, HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone!!!!

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#95164 Dec 31, 2013
I was told many years ago that what you're doing at midnight on New Years Eve is a precursor to what you will be doing for the New Year.

One year I was at a youth function at church and apparently my wristwatch was off by a few minutes. I heard everyone in the community room start and finish the 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, while I was sitting on the toilet peeing......

I've never spent midnight of New Years Eve on the toilet again...

'Nuff said.

Happy 2014 everyone!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Louisville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Christy Lee 53 min Asking 1
club x (Jul '13) 57 min mcfarland 8
News Kentucky Could Become The Only State Without A ... 1 hr The Steven Deaks 157
Are you in Pain? Hmu at 62-022-02269 for a hookup 5 hr Cat 2
Trixie's Entertainment 6 hr Cat 5
Trump for President, He will win. watch (Aug '16) 10 hr Blow Him 4,190
Last Post Wins (Mar '11) 11 hr Badger 9,694

Louisville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Louisville Mortgages