Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

There are 81676 comments on the The Cincinnati Enquirer story from Jan 5, 2011, titled Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.. In it, The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that:

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Cincinnati Enquirer.

Anne

United States

#94839 Dec 13, 2013
AW. That sounds like my Amish friends.. My friends husband put a very long clothesline on a pulley - It stretches from her porch across the pasture to a high point. All she has to do is stand on that porch and keep on pinning on those clothes. It sure looks pretty neat seeing those clothes stretched out through the air! Lol
Blue shoes

Lynchburg, VA

#94841 Dec 13, 2013
Anne wrote:
AW. That sounds like my Amish friends.. My friends husband put a very long clothesline on a pulley - It stretches from her porch across the pasture to a high point. All she has to do is stand on that porch and keep on pinning on those clothes. It sure looks pretty neat seeing those clothes stretched out through the air! Lol
that sounds like real ingenuity to me. Just curious , do your amish friends know about the amish mafia show? If so, what do they think of it? I still have the wash board my mother in law used to scrub my husband clothes as a child. She use to tell me stories about gas washers, and ice boxes.
Anne

United States

#94842 Dec 13, 2013
You know, I never thought to ask them about the Amish mafia. Next visit I will ask.
My granddaughter was with me on an earlier visit and she didnt miss a thing. "Where's your microwave" lol. After we left she asked me, "are they poor?" Lol. Noooo. They are not poor .( actually some are, most aren't --like everyone else).
Washing clothes with a washboard? We never did that. As far back as I remember Mom had an electric wash machine but always had to hang her clothes out on the line. Wintertime she hung the clothes inside, here, there etc. During the summertime we'd throw blankets over the clothesline, fastening them with clothespins and have the most wonderful tents!
Anne

United States

#94843 Dec 13, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
Weather is predicting to be just a little nasty north of I-64. Wintry mix Saturday night into Sunday. Let's hope it is not like the light dusting that turned out to be 17 inches of snow in Lexington some years back. LOL
Here we go again.... And the ice isn't off the back roads from the last snow and ice. Snow is still everywhere :-(
hehe

Toledo, OH

#94844 Dec 13, 2013
conserned wrote:
i'm with you jesse v the government is hiding something
Why
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#94845 Dec 13, 2013
Ya know, I guess I hated to churn as much as anyone else. No,....we didn't have one of them tall, 3 footers shaped like a witch's hat. Ours, I guess, was about a 4 gallon glass jug of a monster with a set of paddles inside that was propelled by the "young-uns" of the family with a crank. But what I really remember was Mom just pulling home-made bread and big, round-topped rolls out of the oven just as the butter was ready. How she managed that is a mystery to me right to this day (night). But,....oh boy,.....I've not EVER tasted bread that even came close to hers. Wish I had some now,....the Belle has made some scupadine jelly......sure would be good.(diabetes and all!..##.%&#!!)
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#94846 Dec 13, 2013
Mother had an old churn about 2 ft. tall. Had an old, wooden handle on it. She churn and churn on it. Made the prettiest, white cow butter I ever saw. She'd use an ol wringer washer and get her water from a clear running creek. All the scrubbing was done with a wash board. Woman still has more energy than me;) Hard living, but happiest of times.
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#94848 Dec 14, 2013
Topix is not satisfied with loading commercials on the right side of my screen and have now started loading that junk on the left side which overlays people's identity and location. If it does not stop or I can't get it to move or go away, I will leave Topix altogether.
David

Toledo, OH

#94849 Dec 14, 2013
Good morning you fine people :)
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#94850 Dec 14, 2013
speaking of kids turning the handle, my sisters helped with the churning. But I was the designated cranker for the old sausage grinder at hog killing time and the hog killing went on for nearly 24 hours. That grinder is hanging on my back wall and now is just decorations LOL

At day break (generally around Thanksgiving), my job was to build a big fire and get a big iron cauldiron filled with creek water and get it boiling when Dad and the neighbors butchered the hogs (usually 4 to 6). The hogs were hoisted with a block and tackle tripod thing next to my boiling pot and the water used to shave the hogs to remove the tiny hairs.

Then they opened the hogs and my job was to take the intestines down to creek and wash them out and bring them back and cut them into one foot lengths and boil the pieces and hang them on the clothes line to dry to be used that night at sausage grinding time.

Then as they processed the hogs, I kept my fire going to boil down the lard and carry it into the house for the women to package into big lard cans. The cracklings (pork rinds) were carried in also in a big wash pan and we had crackling corn bread for about a month.

When my fire was no longer needed, I was allowed to go into the smoke house with the men and listen to all the tall tales and vulgar language (women had to stay in the house LOL). I thought it was a "coming of age" thing, but it was just so I could turn the handle on that sausage grinder until about 3 am. They packed the sausage in my pieces of intestines. Child Labor abuse. hahahaha I was so happy when we moved into town and they started buying the pork.

Level 1

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#94851 Dec 14, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
speaking of kids turning the handle, my sisters helped with the churning. But I was the designated cranker for the old sausage grinder at hog killing time and the hog killing went on for nearly 24 hours. That grinder is hanging on my back wall and now is just decorations LOL

At day break (generally around Thanksgiving), my job was to build a big fire and get a big iron cauldiron filled with creek water and get it boiling when Dad and the neighbors butchered the hogs (usually 4 to 6). The hogs were hoisted with a block and tackle tripod thing next to my boiling pot and the water used to shave the hogs to remove the tiny hairs.

Then they opened the hogs and my job was to take the intestines down to creek and wash them out and bring them back and cut them into one foot lengths and boil the pieces and hang them on the clothes line to dry to be used that night at sausage grinding time.

Then as they processed the hogs, I kept my fire going to boil down the lard and carry it into the house for the women to package into big lard cans. The cracklings (pork rinds) were carried in also in a big wash pan and we had crackling corn bread for about a month.

When my fire was no longer needed, I was allowed to go into the smoke house with the men and listen to all the tall tales and vulgar language (women had to stay in the house LOL). I thought it was a "coming of age" thing, but it was just so I could turn the handle on that sausage grinder until about 3 am. They packed the sausage in my pieces of intestines. Child Labor abuse. hahahaha I was so happy when we moved into town and they started buying the pork.
I'll never look at a roll of Jimmy Dean Sausage the same.
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#94852 Dec 14, 2013
John Wayne's "The Cowboys" is on AMC at 10:30. My favorite line in the movie is Roscoe Lee Browne's (Mr. Nightlinger) statement to the old Hooker Madame when he was trying to get her to let the boys mature a little more and she asked "What about you"?

"I have the where-withall and the inclination, but quite frankly Madame, I just don't have the time" LOL... I suppose that was a diplomatic way to say I am not interested. I might have to use that line sometime. hehehe
Anne

United States

#94853 Dec 14, 2013
Our butter churn was a glass daisey and I churned many times. That churn is sitting on the top shelf in my kitchen cabinet. Good memories that I don't care to repeat lol
Anne

United States

#94854 Dec 14, 2013
I've never had the opportunity to be a part of the hog killing and I don't think I'm going to seek it out. Lol . What does interest me is canning meat. My husbands aunt always canned fish and I know the neighbors (amish of course) can their meat . That would eliminate the need for a freezer(electricity) . But since I'm not interested in the killing part then the canning part is mostly moot. I do have a couple pressure canners and I've collected up a good number of jars again . When we moved to the northwest high desert I gave away 18 dozen jars so I've slowly collected some back. Now to use them...
Anne

United States

#94855 Dec 14, 2013
David wrote:
Good morning you fine people :)
Good Morning, David! It's a great day to wrap Christmas presents! This rain makes it a mess to be out and about. Lol
Anne

Paris, TN

#94860 Dec 14, 2013
Finished. Bought them all. Wrapped them all. Finished.

Happy dance, happy dance !!!!
I pulled a good one on the snoopy granddaughter of mine! I wrapped all the family gifts then put them all in a BIG wrapped box. There's ONE large gift box standing beside the tree!
Note to the wise: do not leave your plate of food in a spot where the dog can reach it. I just lost some good ham that way:-(
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#94861 Dec 14, 2013
Anne wrote:
Finished. Bought them all. Wrapped them all. Finished.
Happy dance, happy dance !!!!
I pulled a good one on the snoopy granddaughter of mine! I wrapped all the family gifts then put them all in a BIG wrapped box. There's ONE large gift box standing beside the tree!
Note to the wise: do not leave your plate of food in a spot where the dog can reach it. I just lost some good ham that way:-(
I am finished also. I bought none and wrapped none. So I was finished before I even started. LOL
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#94868 Dec 14, 2013
@ Miss E
@ Try.....

Allright!!...found some cinnamon capuls today at a G.N.C. store. The only thing they had was 500 mil. though. Seems like someone said they used 5,000 mil., a typo??!! Now on the bottle is says take one a day as a vitamin but says nothing about diabetes. So be it. How many of what mil. do ya all take a day? Also, a guesstiment....on how long it takes for it to help .....if it's going to.

And Miss E, do you take the cin. tablets "AND" (mother) vinegar? If so, how much is a dose of vinegar that you use at a time, teaspoon tablespoon, shot glass? I suppose it could be taken straight but....YUK! I keep regular apple cider all season when available and thought about using that but don't know how much. Please let me know on how much/often for both vinegar and cin. capsules. Thank you kindly.

Level 1

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#94869 Dec 14, 2013
Mississippi Man wrote:
@ Miss E
@ Try.....

Allright!!...found some cinnamon capuls today at a G.N.C. store. The only thing they had was 500 mil. though. Seems like someone said they used 5,000 mil., a typo??!! Now on the bottle is says take one a day as a vitamin but says nothing about diabetes. So be it. How many of what mil. do ya all take a day? Also, a guesstiment....on how long it takes for it to help .....if it's going to.

And Miss E, do you take the cin. tablets "AND" (mother) vinegar? If so, how much is a dose of vinegar that you use at a time, teaspoon tablespoon, shot glass? I suppose it could be taken straight but....YUK! I keep regular apple cider all season when available and thought about using that but don't know how much. Please let me know on how much/often for both vinegar and cin. capsules. Thank you kindly.
On the cinnamon I take 1000 mg
On the apple cider vinegar with mothers I take a shot glass a day and yes that's how I measure mine too. Let me switch from iPhone to iPad and I'll tell u more
hazard ky

Somerset, KY

#94874 Dec 15, 2013
Whatever wrote:
Where did you see that birds were found dead in western Kentucky? I'm not finding that story anywhere.
Me either

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Louisville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jessica olis (Dec '11) 43 min OCSfinest 5
Last Post Wins (Mar '11) 2 hr Sharlene45 9,017
Marie Wren 2 hr White Man 3
Ford's pre-employment test (Aug '11) 4 hr Cynthia 347
the confederate flag stays!! darkys! 5 hr rebel soldier 1
Linda dehut 11 hr Josiah 1
Sam Moseley 13 hr Bill 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Louisville Mortgages